You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
N00Boo7

ETA for Black to appear in Armory for coal

19 comments in this topic

[H-O-E]
Players
344 posts
24,870 battles

Starting with patch 0.9.3 Black was removed from Armory with steel purchase with the plan to return later for coal. Anyone got any info about the amount of coal price for Black? About ETA i reckon in 2-3 patches we should have it, again maybe someone has fresh info about it?

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles

Don't spend your coal for it, nothing special. It was special when there were no radar dds around. Now it's just a meh boat.

• Cool 2

[H-O-E]
Players
344 posts
24,870 battles

i have 3 ranked tokens and i can buy that speshul camo with 150% xp/freexp/captxp for Black. Thats the only reason i want this ship :)

[NED]
Players
2,107 posts
8,378 battles

At least 6 months after it was removed is what i recall.

Looking forward to the flynt.

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles
11 minutes ago, N00Boo7 said:

i have 3 ranked tokens and i can buy that speshul camo with 150% xp/freexp/captxp for Black. Thats the only reason i want this ship :)

Also Anshan has 150 fxp camo iirc :)

NOTE: Just checked it in game. Anshan premium camo gives 100% fxp (not 150%) but at least you can keep your ranked tokens for Black or something else.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
2 hours ago, Execute0rder66 said:

It was special when there were no radar dds around. Now it's just a meh boat.

I feel that's a little harsh - unless I've forgotten something, all the other radar DDs lose smoke; Black doesn't.

The torps are, erm, weird, but the she's still a decent gunboat - very worthwhile for T9 competitive modes when they show up...

All strictly IMO, of course.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,812 posts
47,513 battles

How is the credits for Black compared to other T9s. The Freemium T9s are good creditwise but how are Black (and Flint, Neutrxxxx that RU T9) copmpared to the normal premiums?

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles
16 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I feel that's a little harsh - unless I've forgotten something, all the other radar DDs lose smoke; Black doesn't.

The torps are, erm, weird, but the she's still a decent gunboat - very worthwhile for T9 competitive modes when they show up...

It is downgraded fletcher gun wise iirc. That meta changed long ago where you sit in smoke with black and radar. Now with so many radar  cruisers and dds, including torps coming into your smoke and Black having torps with speed of snail doesn't make it a good torp or gunboat anymore, imo. There are more reliable options than black, like kitakaze, kidd with heal (in this cv meta), Jutland, maybe Neutra, Ostergotland, radar chung mu, maybe friesland. Many dds can out gun him, outspot him or radar him back without needing a smoke so their allied ships can sink him. When Black was the thing, most if not all, of the dds i wrote above did not exist. 

[H_FAN]
Players
2,812 posts
47,513 battles

Well it is not certain they arrive at the same time, I am also curious if they will  be possible to get in the Santas boxex (in the rare ships category). Personally I will probably wait and see here as I do not expect them to be cheap. 

I think many of us veterans wants Black and Flint, now that we get the chance, will accumulate ofc to be ready.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
16 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

That meta changed long ago where you sit in smoke with black and radar.

That's very true - I tend to view the two consumables as having distinct roles, which only sometimes overlap (such as when needing to flee from something, yet still keep it spotted).

I still maintain Black is worth having, although much of her utility is in competitive (or Randoms, if you're in a division), as she's such a good 'teamplay' boat.

Full disclosure though: I don't play mine that frequently though, as I usually play randoms solo, and for that - you're right - there are several rather better choices...

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
22 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

How is the credits for Black compared to other T9s. The Freemium T9s are good creditwise but how are Black (and Flint, Neutrxxxx that RU T9) copmpared to the normal premiums?

As far as I can tell, Black has basically the same earning potential as other T9 premiums (she is a premium, rather than a semi-premium); *however* she often functions best working cooperatively with others, which doesn't always lend itself to doing the big damage numbers that tend to drive good rewards.

The torps are nasty, if you can get hits, but because of their notorious (low) speed that can be quite challenging - they are good for area denial though. Your best bet for getting worthwhile rewards is to engage DDs in mortal combat (ideally with smoke/radar, if they can't see through the former) with guns, which generally requires you to be pretty close to your foe.

If your primary aim is to earn a lot of silver, there are easier premium choices, IMO.

Black is great fun though.

• Cool 2

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles
15 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

That's very true - I tend to view the two consumables as having distinct roles, which only sometimes overlap (such as when needing to flee from something, yet still keep it spotted).

I still maintain Black is worth having, although much of her utility is in competitive (or Randoms, if you're in a division), as she's such a good 'teamplay' boat.

Full disclosure though: I don't play mine that frequently though, as I usually play randoms solo, and for that - you're right - there are several rather better choices...

Yea, i also stopped playing mine long ago. Once or twice in a year i take it out. It is a must have for collectors as a meme ship but for people who have limited coal and low amount of ships, i'd suggest getting something better.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
4 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

for people who have limited coal and low amount of ships, i'd suggest getting something better.

I wouldn't disagree, but we do have a bit of a paucity of coal DDs at the moment...

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I wouldn't disagree, but we do have a bit of a paucity of coal DDs at the moment...

Neutra is coming back as a coal dd too, Right?

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator
292 posts
14,659 battles

I wouldn't expect the removed steel ships back until the end of the year. Maybe around xmass and in the xmass containers? We'll have to wait and see. Plenty of time to save up coal in any case.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles
4 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Neutra is coming back as a coal dd too, Right?

Aye - I'll probably get her the first chance I get.

No idea if she's any good, but she is a DD...

• Cool 2

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

Aye - I'll probably get her the first chance I get.

No idea if she's any good, but she is a DD...

Same here.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,481 posts
4,004 battles
15 hours ago, Verblonde said:

This is more or less my own opinion as well.

The USS Black worked eminently well as the lone DD on the team in the first tier IX ranked season. 

1. First you steam on towards the nearest drop point, and you send those fast-loading, long-range torpedoes heading for the second nearest drop point - the one on the enemy side of the map - as soon as they are loaded. Mind you, this was before long-range, fast-loading torps were a known feature in the game, so there was a fairly substantial chance that they would catch your enemy off guard.
  2. Second, you pick up the first drop. If you're lucky, this is when you will get notified that one or more of your slow-moving but super stealthy torpedoes have struck home.
  3. Third, you press on. If you run into the enemy destroyer, you smoke up instantly and radar him. Since this is ranked and everyone is horny for ranked rewards, you will get a fairy tale level of back-up from your team in taking the enemy destroyer apart.
  4. Fourth, and assuming that there are no more destroyers on the enemy team, you begin feasting on the tears of your enemies and driving their women before you. If there are more enemy destroyers left, go to 3.

Things were never that easy for the Black in normal random battles. For starters, the maps were bigger and so your 43-knot torpedoes (a.k.a. float mines) were far less efficient, as you had fewer obvious choke points to go for. You also had more enemy ships to deal with, which meant more radars and overall more incoming fire when you were spotted. But I always found her to be a good ship.

The meta has changed even more now, obviously, and after having experienced the Östergötland and the Halland with their 90-knot torpedoes, I'm not sure how it would feel to go back to Black. Also, I have fairly recently acquired the Daring and the Kitakaze, both of which are stronger and more versatile ships. 

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
8 hours ago, N00Boo7 said:

Not good enough reason IMO.

I think it's 6 months until they appear again.

I'm waiting for Flint