You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

Tier X Cruisers

28 comments in this topic

Players
3,575 posts

Ok for my alt account, I can get the Moskva, Yoshino, or the Salem for coal, which one is the best out of the three, on this account I already have the Salem and the Des Moines , but not the other two, so asking advice from the  people who have both the Yoshino and Moskva.

About to watch some vids too to see how the others stack up to the Salem.

Players
469 posts
6,442 battles

I have them both, Yoshino HE is one of the best in the game, consistent dmg. It comes with deadly torps but eats dmg from any angle due to insufficient armor for a ship that long,  Moskva's AP can easily kill cruisers and has 12 km radar that DDs hate. Oh, and sailing broadside is suicide.

I brought Moskva yesterday, I couldn't believe how easy it can citadel cruisers, even most BBs struggle at that but she does it well! 

shot-20_06.24_22_23.33-0614.thumb.jpg.8ae07c886b05bb8eafdc502d06bde4d7.jpg  

That said, both cruisers offer a unique playstyle and are equally strong on their own terms. 

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,741 posts
15,095 battles

They both have good HE but for long range HE spam the Yoshino is tough to beat.

Moskva has better armour unless broadside when it will catch every AP shell with it's citadel.

Hard to choose which is best to be honest.

• Cool 1

Players
3,575 posts
1 minute ago, gopher31 said:

They both have good HE but for long range HE spam the Yoshino is tough to beat.

Moskva has better armour unless broadside when it will catch every AP shell with it's citadel.

Hard to choose which is best to be honest.

I am sort of coming to that conclusion watching the vids

Players
3,575 posts
8 minutes ago, SpartanRenegade said:

I have them both, Yoshino HE is one of the best in the game, consistent dmg. It comes with deadly torps but eats dmg from any angle due to insufficient armor for a ship that long,  Moskva's AP can easily kill cruisers and has 12 km radar that DDs hate. Oh, and sailing broadside is suicide.

I brought Moskva yesterday, I couldn't believe how easy it can citadel cruisers, even most BBs struggle at that but she does it well! 

shot-20_06.24_22_23.33-0614.thumb.jpg.8ae07c886b05bb8eafdc502d06bde4d7.jpg  

That said, both cruisers offer a unique playstyle and are equally strong on their own terms. 

How would you rate them alongside the Salem? Which in effect is a worse Des Moines although both were actual real Ships, not sure about the other two.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
21 minutes ago, SpartanRenegade said:

I have them both, Yoshino HE is one of the best in the game, consistent dmg

Should be noted that Azuma has the exact same HE a tier lower, just doesn't get the torps.

Also has no worse armor tier for tier..

• Cool 1

Players
10,374 posts
12,044 battles
25 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Ok for my alt account, I can get the Moskva, Yoshino, or the Salem for coal, which one is the best out of the three, on this account I already have the Salem and the Des Moines , but not the other two, so asking advice from the  people who have both the Yoshino and Moskva.

About to watch some vids too to see how the others stack up to the Salem.

Both have very high citadel with not much in the way of plating thickness to stop anything bigger than CL guns, thus any glimpses on your broadside will send you straight to gulag.

Both are BIG ships

Przechwytywanie.png

https://youtu.be/WkVvPpmM1r8?t=135

Moskva have generous amounts of glorious 50mm plating which can shrug off all AP sent her way when angled, also can block most small and medium caliber HE shells. Yoshino have at best 30mm, so eats HE and is overmatched by 430+ guns

Moskva have 12km radar, giving her some teamwork utility

Yoshino, unlike Moskva, have actually decent concealment at 11.9km compared to 14.1km

Practical AP penetration on both is the same - will penetrate cruiser citadel at any range, will fail against 400mm plating found on T10 battleships unless uncomfortably close.

Yoshino can overmatch up to 21mm plating with AP and have 52mm HE pen. Reload is good by Large Cruiser standards (16.3s with reload mod), Moskva yeets shells at 9.1s with the same upgrade.

Yoshino can pose significant close and personal threat due to heavy torpedo payload and can score random lol torpedo hits when using 20km option... or can consistently keep you pink.

• Funny 1

Players
469 posts
6,442 battles
6 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Should be noted that Azuma has the exact same HE a tier lower, just doesn't get the torps.

I often forget that Azuma exists haha! 

7 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

How would you rate them alongside the Salem? Which in effect is a worse Des Moines although both were actual real Ships, not sure about the other two.

I don't own the Salem/DM but I do own the Wooster and their arcs are high -- which means they can comfortably fire from behind islands without revealing themselves.  You don't move around a lot when you're on a Salem. I'd suggest you grind the US Heavy cruiser line and see if it fits your playstyle -- if it does then youve got youself a DM (a better Salem) -- if not then you be saving 240K coal on a ship you won't like. 

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
3 minutes ago, SpartanRenegade said:

I often forget that Azuma exists haha! 

Suspect the main reason I don't is because I have her.

And, I am not ashamed to admit, I actually like her.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
17 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Worse reload, worse range though.

• Cool 1

Players
469 posts
6,442 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Suspect the main reason I don't is because I have her.

And, I am not ashamed to admit, I actually like her.

I remember wanting an Azuma for so long and then I heard about a Tier X version that came with customizable 20km torps. 

It was the easiest choice I made. 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
5 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Worse reload, worse range though.

True, still the same guns though..

Players
469 posts
6,442 battles
2 minutes ago, Marble_Eyes said:

Have an impact on the game: Moskwa

Farm damage on all these juicy BBs: Yoshino

I think you meant the crazed pyromaniac Thunderer :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Players
3,575 posts

This seems extremely hard, obviously I need a cruiser to in order for division purposes with my clan mates (alt account, not this one) leaning towards the Moskva or Yoshino (can load spotter plane, or so the blurb says) I like the Salems quick reload but, well  just can't quite put my finger on it.

Players
3,575 posts
2 minutes ago, Marble_Eyes said:

Wouldn't farming all those juicy BB;'s have an impact on the game though? Boy oh boy this is hard:Smile_veryhappy:

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
9 minutes ago, Marble_Eyes said:

A Moskva hanging back and sniping has but little effect on the game itself should be noted. :P

You can have as much, or as little, impact on the game in each of these ships as you want, it's more of a matter of how you play them than the ships themselves @Inappropriate_noob

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
6 minutes ago, Marble_Eyes said:

Yoshino can also just shut down Moskva, Petro, Stalin and other RU bias given it has over 50 mm HE pen and if it catches broadside can farm cits.

Also, 310 mm shits on Smolensk.

Moskva isn't the only cruiser that can shoot at ships smaller than a BB. 

• Cool 1

[WONLY]
Players
431 posts
Just now, lafeel said:

A Moskva hanging back and sniping has but little effect on the game itself should be noted. :P

You can have as much, or as little, impact on the game in each of these ships as you want, it's more of a matter of how you play them than the ships themselves @Inappropriate_noob

Moskva is generally way harder to play. You want to tank damage, radar DDs and don't get deleted or stuck in an awkward position. If you manage that, you offer mar more than a Yoshino in terms of utility for your team, especially in early game. Ofc a Yoshino might carry a game but it has just it's damage output as a tool for that. 

Players
3,575 posts
Just now, lafeel said:

I shall be sure to pass that one onto my alt, lol, I think the Moskva will win, but it is neck and neck with the Yoshino, think it is time for a break before my alt does something stupid:Smile_trollface:

Players
3,575 posts
Just now, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Yoshino can also just shut down Moskva, Petro, Stalin and other RU bias given it has over 50 mm HE pen and if it catches broadside can farm cits.

Also, 310 mm shits on Smolensk.

Moskva isn't the only cruiser that can shoot at ships smaller than a BB. 

damn that just made my choice even harder, lol

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
3 minutes ago, Marble_Eyes said:

Moskva is generally way harder to play. You want to tank damage, radar DDs and don't get deleted or stuck in an awkward position. If you manage that, you offer mar more than a Yoshino in terms of utility for your team, especially in early game. Ofc a Yoshino might carry a game but it has just it's damage output as a tool for that. 

To be entirely fair there are certainly worse tools to have than that for carrying  games.:Smile-_tongue:

3 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I shall be sure to pass that one onto my alt, lol, I think the Moskva will win, but it is neck and neck with the Yoshino, think it is time for a break before my alt does something stupid:Smile_trollface:

Not a easy choice when all of them are good, just all in different ways, I know.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
3,741 posts
15,095 battles
1 minute ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

damn that just made my choice even harder, lol

Yoshino also has crazy close range dispersion, nearly destroyer level.

I’ve dev struck a few destroyers with that. 

With petropavlosk coming you might find it a more effective Moskva. With better AP but worse HE. 

• Cool 1

Players
469 posts
6,442 battles

Clearly no one wants to choose one over the other. It's understandable considering how good both ships are.  

Anyways this isn't a democracy.  The choice is yours to make. Maybe you can get them both, the big decision is which one you'll choose first. 

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,863 posts
6,468 battles
3 minutes ago, SpartanRenegade said:

Clearly no one wants to choose one over the other. It's understandable considering how good both ships are.  

It's a case of there not being just one "right" or "wrong" answer, it all comes down to personal preference.

• Cool 1