Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Thracen

CVs in ranked sprint.

130 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

In short, I hate it. 

Even if you believe CVs are balanced in randoms, a cvs power comes from its spotting and map control. Something far more vital and indeed amplified by a large map with a smaller number of ships as seen in ranked sprint. 

Just another data point along with the recent season of clan battles to be utterly ignored by the gods upon high.

With that said can anyone tell me what ship has the best AA at tier 8? Thanks to the transparency of wargaming's AA system I haven't got a damn clue what has AA and what doesn't at this tier. 

Feel free to add any other CV counter play tips for this ranked sprint. 

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts

Well doesnt matter which T8 you choose Enterprise will stomp you into the seabed one way or another, slightly more time will be spent by other T8 CVs but not much more...

Alabama in general has as good an AA suit as you can expect on T8 and might make a CV pick you off as last but still if he wants your a**, well good luck...

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

I understand they use sprints as a less serious testbed but what is the point of these test exercises if they are simply ignored?

Just in case anyone needed further evidence of the health of this game mode. 

When there are more CVs in a queue than dds we all have a problem. Also just as a fun aside, I just found out that graf zeppelin has an armoured deck so a cossack can totally catch it unawares and spend 5 minutes doing absolutely nothing to punish the mistake!

DDs make a split second mistake and take a hit from rocket planes for 5k of their health. A CV can make a 5 minute mistake and suffered less damage. Seriously wargaming. I wish I could look one of your staff in the eye as they try and justify this.

Balance.PNG

• Cool 4

Players
376 posts
6,895 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, Thracen sagte:

I understand they use sprints as a less serious testbed but what is the point of these test exercises if they are simply ignored?

Just in case anyone needed further evidence of the health of this game mode. 

When there are more CVs in a queue than dds we all have a problem. Also just as a fun aside, I just found out that graf zeppelin has an armoured deck so a cossack can totally catch it unawares and spend 5 minutes doing absolutely nothing to punish the mistake!

DDs make a split second mistake and take a hit from rocket planes for 5k of their health. A CV can make a 5 minute mistake and suffered less damage. Seriously wargaming. I wish I could look one of your staff in the eye as they try and justify this.

Balance.PNG

WG has devs?

I thought unpaid interns were just making changes based on the spreadsheet. 

Well, at least that's what the quality of their "balancing" looks like.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts

Zep has I think 25 mm deck IIRC so its hardly a serious armor deck, what she has however is turtleback citadel making any DD driveby a nonsensical thing as you will die by planes and secs before even scratching the surface, you better just spot her for your BBs or torp her to death

Players
3,811 posts
14,361 battles
27 minutes ago, Thracen said:

With that said can anyone tell me what ship has the best AA at tier 8?

Massachusetts is probably the strongest T8 ships against CV’s other than CV’s. It’s pretty much a no go for CV’s like Shok and Enty to AP citadel. It’s AA is respectable. It’s tanky and has good heals so it takes a lot of time to grind down compared to all the other T8 BB’s. And with the game area being smaller due to smaller teams a full secondary spec Massa might be a really viable choice.

• Cool 2

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

Yeah I thought about playing the Massa but I don't have the patience to queue with 200 other bbs for the chance to watch a poor dd cry. 

[HAMAR]
Players
570 posts
3 minutes ago, Thracen said:

Yeah I thought about playing the Massa but I don't have the patience to queue with 200 other bbs for the chance to watch a poor dd cry. 

The fewer DD in game. The more change it is to have a good game with a secondary build BB

So waiting in the queue is worth it.

The fewer (DD) the merrier  (BB)

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

I didn't know AA had gotten so meaningless down at tier 8. I've been struck 3 times in a row with the same planes circling and only managed to take 1 plane down for my suffering. 

Does anyone in wargaming play a dd I wonder?

Good point on the mass wait, it is only a few minutes and less painful than the dd experience I think. Turns out the MM agrees with us since I'm getting matches with CVs and no dds. Best way the save them, exclude them!

Players
533 posts
9,058 battles

hows the akizuki performing? im planning to take her out

or should i just protect my winrate with her?

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

I wouldn't, from what i have seen it is hard to find a position to dakka with her since cvs are on the hunt for dds so early and there are a few radar cruisers about. Cossaks and kageros are common among dds so getting torped out of smoke is a real issue too. 

Players
141 posts
8,328 battles
33 minutes ago, mantiscore said:

hows the akizuki performing? im planning to take her out

or should i just protect my winrate with her?

If you mean in relation to CVs then no better than any other T8 DD.

In general I prefer a DD with better concealment in ranked, but obviously if you know you like the Aki then there is no reason not to try.

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

That's true, there is no better ship than the one you are best in. I think I'm going commit to the crazy and learn to dd under pressure in this sprint season, it looks like that's the way things are going anyways so I might as well get used to it. If I alternate between that and the Massa I should be able to progress.

Players
847 posts
8,054 battles

I just finished the Kagero levelling, but I have a couple of tier 8 ships I'm "grinding" (I don't grind). Among them Impractical. Impracable. Implacable. Whatever. Might have to use it in ranked sprint.

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles

Just ranked out.

From a CV perspective:

Top picks:

CV - Shokaku or Enty.

BB - Massa hands down, the rest is food.

Cruiser - Baltimore, pretty much a T8 DM with very good AA.

DD - Lightning/Cossack, untouchable by CV due to smoke if played right.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,527 posts
13,077 battles

I'll take out my saipan for a ride in ranked tonight :) 

because you know, having tier 10 planes in a match where only tier 8s present.. is so much fun :) 

Fun aside, 

If you wanna play a DD @Tracen the only viable choice looks like a full AA specced kidd... 

That thing with extremely long smoke, heavy AA and a Heal.. I usually don't go after it 2nd time If I find out that the player has a working brain.. 

Wasting time on a kidd usually makes you lose precious time and damage on other ships around.. 

If you are really insisting on taking a DD in ranked.. Take Kidd.. nothing else have a better chance.. some of them has none :) 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
8 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

I'll take out my saipan for a ride in ranked tonight :) 

because you know, having tier 10 planes in a match where only tier 8s present.. is so much fun :) 

Them planes being Tier-10 doesn't matter.

Your plane squadron total HP is what matters, and its lower overall than Lexington's, since Saipan has squad of 6 planes with 2 per attack run, compared to 9-3 on Lex.

You might as well play Lexi and have better results than this gimped ship....

Personally, i don't understand why people play Saipan at all, let it alone buy it in the first place....but that's a different story.

Kidd is overrated, a typical US destroyer with a decent AA, nothing groundbreaking, after that smoke is gone you hunt him down just like any other DD, it will get slammed by rocket planes either way.

RN DDs fair far better due to short CD smokes in large amount.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,527 posts
13,077 battles
1 minute ago, steveraptor said:

Them planes being Tier-10 doesn't matter.

Your plane squadron total HP is matters, and its lower overall than Lexington's, since Saipan has squad of 6 planes with 2 per attack run, compared to 9-3 on Lex.

You might as well play Lexi and have better results than this gimped ship....

I know... everyone says Lexy is better than saipan.. 

I don't disagree.. on paper.. 

but I don't know why.. I'm better in saipan :) I'm weird :) 

image.thumb.png.9a909d9cdba4d172e4a225e22ea4caf9.png

I find RN smoke is easier to deal with than the kidd... 

Both needs to have a captain with a working brain though :) 

Let me say, they are equally frustrating to deal with.. and Kidd AA is actually not bad for a tier 8 DD.. 

better than the RN DDs.. 

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

yup RN dds have 2.5 km of none when it comes to AA. I wish I did have a Kid, sadly I am without one. I will just save my smoke for the cv and waste his time. 

[3DKM]
Players
277 posts
2,835 battles

CVs in ranked is a totally brain-dead, idiotic decision. It kills literally all my fun. There is possibility to play "sneaky" or tactical since your perma spotted. As a T8 BB you cant really dodge torps or anything else these planes drop on you. I loosing all my interest if they keep CVs in any competitive mode. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,973 posts
15,473 battles

I've played maybe half a dozen games so far; not as many CVs as I'd feared, but still plenty (and usually in games where I picked DDs with less than stellar AA, of course!).

So, far I've been tending to pick things with heals: Kidd, Orkan, and Oland; first and third have good enough AA to deter many CVs, and Orkan's radar can be quite unpleasant for the enemy DDs...

[DAVY]
Players
525 posts
8,871 battles

I find it extra frustrating that the best ships all seem to be premiums. 

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
Just now, Thracen said:

I find it extra frustrating that the best ships all seem to be premiums. 

Only massa for BBs.