You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BlackYeti

What the...Schors citadelling a Gneise via superstructure

27 comments in this topic

[BABBY]
Players
799 posts
11,630 battles

Can someone explain to me what exactly happened here? :Smile_teethhappy: Please notice the aiming point...

shot-20_06.23_18_07.44-0957.thumb.jpg.77534046e66d9c341621864dd009ba32.jpg

shot-20_06.23_18_08.15-0669.thumb.jpg.9faca120e670edd90e9ae2786e6dede3.jpgshot-20_06.23_18_08.21-0202.thumb.jpg.447a648da58a0966bd7abc1833837d54.jpg

[ALYEN]
Players
2,635 posts
4,358 battles

RNGesus giveth, RNGesus taketh ...

that's all I can say ... I watched Flambass' stream where the shells from one of his triple gun turrets when all cross-eyed, two shells went straight and the rightmost shell went to the next map on the LEFT. FLambass was like WTH ??? How is that possible ?

So your experience is quite normal I would say ....

[BABBY]
Players
799 posts
11,630 battles
2 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

I think your one shell went thru To citadel after hitting upper structure, gj.

That's a shot from the last turret and 2 out of 3 shells caused a citadel by hitting well above deck, I mean what are the chances... :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles
4 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

That's a shot from the last turret and 2 out of 3 shells caused a citadel by hitting well above deck, I mean what are the chances... :Smile_teethhappy:

65CB468B-558B-47D8-AAF3-148AADE5CE3A.jpeg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
772 posts
3,666 battles

But HE from a Schorsch citadelling a Gneisenau? That shouldn't be possible no matter where you hit, or not?

Players
2,797 posts
33,762 battles
1 minute ago, Kruzenstern said:

But HE from a Schorsch citadelling a Gneisenau? That shouldn't be possible no matter where you hit, or not?

He shoots AP then switches to HE as I see from the pics.

• Cool 1

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
772 posts
3,666 battles

Ah yes, didnt look close enough at the first pic... Still curious, but possible I guess...

[UAC]
Players
659 posts
2,215 battles
14 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

He shoots AP then switches to HE as I see from the pics.

[BABBY]
Players
799 posts
11,630 battles
6 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

Ah yes, didnt look close enough at the first pic... Still curious, but possible I guess...

There was a WG explanation some time ago that it's possible to ricochet down the ship's funnel into citadel, but this was concerning long range AP spam, didn't think this was possible at point blank.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles

Somethings wrong with german BBs i guess... see this

image.thumb.png.2748d2a5abd3218e561bd965e3a0ddf0.png

image.thumb.png.6cb49f2558b06a2633f6688fbe3dd4fa.png

My explanation would be barbette penetration ricocheting downwards into the citadel.

• Cool 1

[GWR]
Players
568 posts
9,790 battles
5 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

There was a WG explanation some time ago that it's possible to ricochet down the ship's funnel into citadel, but this was concerning long range AP spam, didn't think this was possible at point blank.

maybe they should make the citadels out of funnels.......... it reminds me of the film Fury where wood on the side of the tank stops an 88mm AP shell....makes tanks out of wood?

• Funny 2

[BABBY]
Players
799 posts
11,630 battles
12 hours ago, illy said:

maybe they should make the citadels out of funnels.......... it reminds me of the film Fury where wood on the side of the tank stops an 88mm AP shell....makes tanks out of wood?

Well all those OP Soviet tanks in WoT do have wooden logs on them :Smile_trollface: 

• Funny 2

[SHAD]
Players
3,805 posts
15,184 battles
13 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Somethings wrong with german BBs i guess... see this

image.thumb.png.2748d2a5abd3218e561bd965e3a0ddf0.png

image.thumb.png.6cb49f2558b06a2633f6688fbe3dd4fa.png

My explanation would be barbette penetration ricocheting downwards into the citadel.

You won’t see this kind of problem on a glorious soviet battleship!

• Funny 2

Players
2,488 posts
13 hours ago, illy said:

The 'Ronsons' also known as the 'Tommy Cooker' were festooned with bits of track, metal and yes even logs in the hope that they would deflect the dreaded 88mm shell...

• Cool 1

[ENUF_]
Players
647 posts
23,857 battles
17 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

But that wouldn't work with the Shchors. Gneisenau has 350mm barbette + 95mm citadel deck armor and Shchors AP can only penetrate 289mm even at 2km range.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
3 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

But that wouldn't work with the Shchors. Gneisenau has 350mm barbette + 95mm citadel deck armor and Shchors AP can only penetrate 289mm even at 2km range.

Whats the turret armor (havent checked before)? I mean, its the only thing i can imagine which should work... then again, we never know what kinda bugs might exist^^

[ENUF_]
Players
647 posts
23,857 battles
9 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Whats the turret armor (havent checked before)? I mean, its the only thing i can imagine which should work... then again, we never know what kinda bugs might exist^^

It's 220-360mm, so the Shchors would still be unable to penetrate this plus the citadel deck. Only the sloped upper turret armor is thinner, but there is no way hitting there and bounce downwards.

Maybe he was able to get a penetration on the aft end plating and then hit the citadel athwartship (26+200mm)? That still seems very unlikely, because even if he didn't bounce on the aft end plating, the citadel is so low in the water, i'm not sure if you can even hit it at that range with a Shchors.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
3 minutes ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

It's 220-360mm, so the Shchors would still be unable to penetrate this plus the citadel deck. Only the sloped upper turret armor is thinner, but there is no way hitting there and bounce downwards.

Maybe he was able to get a penetration on the aft end plating and then hit the citadel athwartship (26+200mm)? That still seems very unlikely, because even if he didn't bounce on the aft end plating, the citadel is so low in the water, i'm not sure if you can even hit it at that range with a Shchors.

It is possible to citadel german BBs through Bow/aft at a certain angle and bypass the turtleback - have done so myself. But then i shoot at that place and not at the superstructure.. thats whats the weird thing here.

Players
7,567 posts
245 battles
5 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

Well all those OP Soviet tanks in WoT do have wooden logs on them :Smile_trollface: 

petition to add masts to the side of every russian ship for balans reasons

[ENUF_]
Players
647 posts
23,857 battles
6 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

It is possible to citadel german BBs through Bow/aft at a certain angle and bypass the turtleback - have done so myself. But then i shoot at that place and not at the superstructure.. thats whats the weird thing here.

The hits you see are not necessarily what the server calculated. The ships and/or shells might be at a different position to what your client is telling you, so i wouldn't trust the visuals.

[RODS]
Players
1,823 posts
7,824 battles
23 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

Can someone explain to me what exactly happened here? :Smile_teethhappy: Please notice the aiming point...

shot-20_06.23_18_07.44-0957.thumb.jpg.77534046e66d9c341621864dd009ba32.jpg

Captain was taking a leak, shells bounced off his solid steel balls and deflected via the drain into the citadel

• Funny 1

[BABBY]
Players
799 posts
11,630 battles
18 hours ago, _DemonGuard_ said:

That could happen theoretically but i was aiming at mid superstructure and saw no shells going low. The only explanation is that those last two shells hit some strange point on the superstructure that made them ricochet almost 90' downwards.

Players
4,390 posts
5,713 battles

A lot of strange $hit in this game.

One time in the Sprint Ranked tier 7 I was playing Duke of York and hit some other cruiser (maybe Yorck) on my max range distance with HE salvo which completely missed him exept 1 single granade (out of 10) and it detonated him.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
1 hour ago, BlackYeti said:

That could happen theoretically but i was aiming at mid superstructure and saw no shells going low. The only explanation is that those last two shells hit some strange point on the superstructure that made them ricochet almost 90' downwards.

Ricochet from the turret bottom maybe? :cap_book:  The rather strange question ofc, why it doesnt show as a ricochet? Ive had occasionally ricochets, which dealt damage to the target.