You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Knutorius

The report and karma system is broken

77 comments in this topic

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles

Remove the report and karma system. Its broken (and useless)

what you can do with it:
• report other players for anything you want and lower their karma
• report other players for anything you want and cause an automated chat ban for 3 days
• make yourself feel better 7x a day by using your "power" to "influence" the game

what you can not do with it:

• enhance player's game experience
• prevent people from being better/worse players than you
• prevent people from being rude or stupid

Remove this system of opression and stupidity and your karma shall rise.

close-up-shot-of-young-man-with-taped-mo

Now, let's continue with the latest reply to the original thread

"Also some of your arguments are just wrong. You won't get a 3 day chat ban just because of chat reports, you also have to write in chat and a 3 day ban is usually manually approved. That's not an error of the karma system."

"you also have to write in chat" Well, thats obvious. It's a CHAT ban. But I understand the need for clarification there.
"a 3 day ban is usually manually approved" usually? what does that mean? and can you assure this is done manually for the majority of the player complaints?
"That's not an error of the karma system"  of course it's not. it is PART of the karma system. they are intertwined. which is the problem.

So, not only is the karma system flawed cause its highly subjective and therefore useless for determining a player's real karma, but it's also regularily used by players to punish other players, if they think the player has misbehaved, said something "offensive" or just doesnt fit the expectations of the person reporting. There are countless examples of that and it happens on a regular basis.

Secondly, the reporting system for the chat is used in the same way, which leads to chat bans depending on the opinion of players and the supposed evaluator.
Since there isn't any notification about which chat/game was the reason for the ban and what the exact reason for the ban was, the system is flawed too. It only leaves you questioning what exactly happened.

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles

I think it's a great idea. But thanks for the link.

I will consider posting my "request" there.

Therefor this thread can be deleted, or used for entertaining purposes

[CATS]
Players
31,091 posts
15,723 battles
4 minutes ago, Knutorius said:

So, not only is the karma system flawed cause its highly subjective and therefore useless for determining a player's real karma, ...

Do you mean that in a metaphysical sense or in relation to the game?

Because in relation to the game, the Karma is accurate. When you are more helpful than annoying, then you have positive Karma.

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,329 battles

It sure is broken. I need, probably, 100 reports for the utter garbage players I am subjected too in WoWS random battles.

This game is literally crawling with them, like some kind of cockroach infestation.

Compliments? A few more would be nice. Round that number up to 10.

A 10:1 ratio of bad:good would be logical.

• Bad 1

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles

Do you mean that in a metaphysical sense or in relation to the game?

I think I ment it in relation to the game. And therefor I doubt the karma value is correct. "helpful" and "annyoing" can be very relative and subjective terms.

In terms of metaphysics, we're fine I guess ^^

[PANEU]
Players
4,321 posts
12,442 battles
10 minutes ago, Knutorius said:

report other players for anything you want and cause an automated chat ban for 3 days

this is  not true. 

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles
3 minutes ago, _Warfarin_ said:

this is  not true. 

it's only untrue when taken literally. effectively a bunch of players can cause a chat ban. with the "help" of the supposed "manual" evaluation.

point being, I see no evidence of there being a person actually reading through the chat, especially within the amount of time in which these bans occur. last time I got it, was ingame

[PANEU]
Players
4,321 posts
12,442 battles
Just now, Knutorius said:

it's only untrue when taken literally.

It is always untrue. 

If you say a bad word and I report you and you get chat banned for it it doesn't matter if I click report as ill intend or not. You broke a rule and you will get punished. 

If I click "misbehavior in chat"  because you said "gg" and were on the winning team and I did it out of frustration because it was a steamroll no matter how many report you for the gg out of spite you won't get chat banned. 

It's that easy 

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,016 posts
13,184 battles
5 minutes ago, Aethervoxx said:

I need, probably, 100 reports for the utter garbage players I am subjected too in WoWS random battles.

This game is literally crawling with them, like some kind of cockroach infestation.

You know, it might be better to actually win more games than you lose and/or kill at least one enemy for every time you die before you start throwing out criticisms of other players. Just a thought.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,879 posts
6,468 battles
2 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

You know, it might be better to actually win more games than you lose and/or kill at least one enemy for every time you die before you start throwing out criticisms of other players. Just a thought.

^this, so very much this.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles

ah, yes. the usual "your stats suck" argument. boooring

and it's completely missing the point. well done, gentlemen!

• Cool 1

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,329 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

in relation to the game, the Karma is accurate.

Wrong. As getting Karma is entirely subjective it's essentially meaningless. Not many players give out Compliments  or give all their 7 daily allowed compliments. I don't always give all of them out, either because I don't see play that deserves it or I just forget to use all 7. It is very easy to use all your 7 Reports in as few as two random battles because there's so many idiots who deserve a report. We should have 10X the Reports as we have Compliments to give out. This is why, Colonel 'Bleet', the Karma/Report system is utterly broken (you know, just like so many other things in WoWS - like the CV rework, recent farce paper ships,  the GW/GW collaboration, the MM, RNG, etc, etc, the list goes on & on .......

• Bad 2

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,329 battles
3 hours ago, xxNihilanxx said:

[edited]

3 hours ago, lafeel said:

^this, so very much this.

[edited]

3 hours ago, Knutorius said:

ah, yes. the usual "your stats suck" argument. boooring

and it's completely missing the point. well done, gentlemen!

[edited]

• Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
31,091 posts
15,723 battles
22 minutes ago, Knutorius said:

I think I ment it in relation to the game. And therefor I doubt the karma value is correct. "helpful" and "annyoing" can be very relative and subjective terms.

Yes, Karma is subjective, that is how it is defined. Therefore it is correct.

With 3000+ battles you were with over 30k players in a match. When these people give you more reports than compliments, then they had their reasons.

7 minutes ago, Aethervoxx said:

Wrong. As getting Karma is entirely subjective it's essentially meaningless.

Being realtivly meaningless does not make it inaccurate.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[PANEU]
Players
4,321 posts
12,442 battles
3 hours ago, Aethervoxx said:

[edited]

They aren't trolling and since your stats are visible to anyone and yourself I guess they have a point and you should consider to not namecall them for being truthful. 

Your winrate is bad as is your overall performance. 

You played 9000+ battles and kill only 0.63 ships on average. 

There is no curve indicating that you are improving. 

You are blaming your team to much and not looking at yourself enough. Stop complaining about others. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
7 minutes ago, Aethervoxx said:

Wrong. As getting Karma is entirely subjective it's essentially meaningless. Not many players give out Compliments  or give all their 7 daily allowed compliments. I don't always give all of them out, either because I don't see play that deserves it or I just forget to use all 7. It is very easy to use all your 7 Reports in as few as two random battles because there's so many idiots who deserve a report. We should have 10X the Reports as we have Compliments to give out. This is why, Colonel 'Bleet', the Karma/Report system is utterly broken (you know, just like so many other things in WoWS - like the CV rework, recent farce paper ships,  the GW/GW collaboration, the MM, RNG, etc, etc, the list goes on & on .......

Just play in a way that is unlikely to get you reported and the times you carry your team you might get complimented. So, sure, the less skilled get reported all the time, but by just playing the game well, you should see karma increase. I certainly have no karma issues, never had, even when playing toxic crap like CVs.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,879 posts
6,468 battles
3 hours ago, Aethervoxx said:

[edited]

Reported and ignored. Calling people [edited] is against the forum rules dude.

• Bad 1

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles
11 minutes ago, Aethervoxx said:

Trolls are like Cockroaches, Knutorius, they tend, sadly, to spread & infest otherwise clean environments. 

I think they're just beta testing my patience

10 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

When these people give you more reports than compliments, then they had their reasons.

I found it easier to annoy people than to be recognized as being helpful. Does it represent my ability to make my team win? hmmm..not sure..
So what is Karma then? An award for being liked?

5 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Just play in a way that is unlikely to get you reported and the times you carry your team you might get complimented. So, sure, the less skilled get reported all the time, but by just playing the game well, you should see karma increase. I certainly have no karma issues, never had, even when playing toxic crap like CVs. 

Yes. And this sounds all lovely.
Until you realise you dont get good karma for playing well. Or for being silent in chat.
But it's interesting to note that people can thrive within that system, by "just doing their thing"

So in that sense, the question remains:
What is Karma? (in relation to the game)

[CATS]
Players
31,091 posts
15,723 battles
2 minutes ago, Knutorius said:

I found it easier to annoy people than to be recognized as being helpful. Does it represent my ability to make my team win? hmmm..not sure..

So what is Karma then? An award for being liked?

Karma does not represent your ability to win games. There are quite a few toxic unicums out there...

Karma is more a sign if you are a constructive member of the community.

• Cool 1

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

Karma is more a sign if you are a constructive member of the community. 

that sounds like it's close to the truth. But I still have my doubts, in terms of the game system. :cap_cool:

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
5 minutes ago, Knutorius said:

Yes. And this sounds all lovely.
Until you realise you dont get good karma for playing well. Or for being silent in chat.
But it's interesting to note that people can thrive within that system, by "just doing their thing"

Nah, I never get complimented ever...

shot-20_06.11_00_32.05-0856.thumb.jpg.5d2a85c3d1844b99cf44051a5d50af64.jpg

shot-20_05.10_21_11.19-0696.thumb.jpg.a8980da2556a9d1dd7f5b42e97db72ad.jpg

Compliments don't happen. Fake news!

• Funny 1

[IRON7]
Players
698 posts
11,329 battles
7 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Reported and ignored. Calling people trolls is against the forum rules dude.

Someone starts stat shaming & you agree but that's not 'trolling'? & when I call you both out for doing so you say you report me? Nice to see you are a hypocrite.

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles
2 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

Compliments don't happen. Fake news! 

Ugh..lol
I didnt mean to say that you dont get good Karma ever! I ment to say that its harder to earn good karma than to lose it.

1 minute ago, Aethervoxx said:

Someone starts stat shaming & you agree but that's not 'trolling'? & when I call you both out for doing so you say you report me? Nice to see you are a hypocrite

Oh, the irony xD

[PANEU]
Players
4,321 posts
12,442 battles
2 minutes ago, Knutorius said:

Ugh..lol
I didnt mean to say that you dont get good Karma ever! I ment to say that its harder to earn good karma than to lose it.

It's not hard. Talk less in chat and play well and you earn karma. 

My karma has risen to 160 lately and before was usually stuck at 130.

What did I change? 

I stfu in chat and don't try to tell people on my team how to play. 

• Cool 1