You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NobleSauvage

Low-Tier Gems: Ships up to TIV

94 comments in this topic

Players
1,090 posts

After the recent topic on Tier V and VI ships, I thought it would be interesting to go even further down the tech tree and ask folks what ships up to Tier 4 you really like and/or have the most fun in. I know that the low tiers don't get a lot of love, largely due to not making the Combat Mission cut-off, but surely I'm not the only one of the opinion that there are still some fun ships down there!

Personally I love the RN (light) cruisers, Danae was my first Kraken; Dresden is a fun little machinegun even if the shells don't really do any damage; St. Louis and Charleston are classics of (shall we say) 'original design', and by far the most guns per square inch anywhere outside of the state of Texas; and I have to confess that I really like Yubari, she's so cute and just seems to work wonderfully for me every time. Less so Mikasa, but she's still one of the most idiosyncratically fun ships in the game for me, and loaded with at least as much historical significance as Dreadnought herself (also have, but rarely play).

So amongst the rest of you, which are the ships/lines that you love to come back to, and what sorts of great memories do you have of playing them? Are there any Tier 1s that you hold in high regard, even? And who among you are bold and/or foolhardy enough to regularly obtain low-tier premiums (no judgements, I have five of them myself)...?

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
10,860 posts
7,471 battles

- Kolberg 

- Karlsruhe/ Cöln II 

- V-170

- König Albert

- Nassau

- Dreadnought 

- Oleg (I love her but rarely play her)

These WW1 era ships are the most beautiful ships in my opinion and it is such a pity that they ended up in a tier spread you come to play occasionally at best.  Would love them to be more important to the overall game 

• Cool 4

Players
822 posts
2,304 battles

USN Smith at Tier II, 

Premium with 3.5s gun reload and 11s torpedo reload. Yep ELEVEN SECONDS TORPEDO RELOAD.......:cap_rambo:

• Funny 2

Players
1,070 posts
15,102 battles

I do know someone who confessed to having lots of low-tier Premiums, but will not dox them just yet (yes, it was @Verblonde)

Me, I've got Smith and Tachibana Lima (third-party freebies), Emden (free), Albany (free), Dreadnought (reward), Varyag, (reward), Ishizuchi and Yubari (Steam DLCs). So eight.

Let's hope that the next time we have snowflakes, perhaps for an upcoming anniversary, WG spare a thought for these dear old Port Queens.

I do have a soft spot for Caledon from the old days. She works best when no-one uses AP, of course!

Tier 1 Black Swan pre-nerf was awesome. 

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,953 posts
15,461 battles
7 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

who among you are bold and/or foolhardy enough to regularly obtain low-tier premiums (no judgements, I have five of them myself)...?

I've a horrible feeling I have all of them...!

As to which are the most magnificent:

• Smith is hilarious (torps that reload in about a third the time of a BB shell).
  • Tachibana is good value, of course.
  • The most splendid though has to be Vampire (especially with a 19 point Haida captain on her - because I'm a bad person)....
  • Funny 3

[XTREM]
Players
2,156 posts
15,571 battles

Don't play these tiers much but as guilty pleasures:

- Yubari

- Mikasa. Big time.

- Dreadnought with jingles

- Varyag 

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,790 posts
6,795 battles

The German DDs

St. Louis

Bogatyr and Svietlana

Myogi

Hosho :Smile_trollface:

I should take the Vampire out for a spin again. I seem to recall it was quite fun.

• Cool 1

Players
292 posts
4,326 battles

Kaiser and Orion have been a personal favorite of mine. Mostly due to the fact that they actually have usable AA against all those seal clubbing CV's lol. Their guns aren't too shabby either. 

Players
1,090 posts
5 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Don't play these tiers much but as guilty pleasures:

- Yubari

- Mikasa. Big time.

- Dreadnought with jingles

- Varyag 

I have my Jingles on the Warspite ;)

And personally, I feel no guilt whatsoever when taking Mikasa into TII matches (but then I'm a terrible person)... :cap_rambo:

Players
1,201 posts
7,237 battles
9 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

You sir are an evil man :Smile_trollface:

I saw a while ago an enemy division of Orion, Imperator Nikolai and Clemson. This is pure evil.

The fact that I myself was driving a Clemson at this time is of course totally irrelevant.

• Funny 8

Players
408 posts
4,288 battles
Il y a 17 minutes, elblancogringo a dit :

I saw a while ago an enemy division of Orion, Imperator Nikolai and Clemson. This is pure evil.

The fact that I myself was driving a Clemson at this time is of course totally irrelevant.

I see that Clemson is not that quoted in this thread. As if people were reluctant to say they play it. I wonder why :Smile_trollface:

For me, it was the Myogi (not that bad, good introduction to Kongo), the Kaiser of course. And the Wyowing.  I did a Kraken+1  with this ship, in total zero [edited] given let's drive center to the enemy base and torpedobeat everything. That was glorious.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,953 posts
15,461 battles

Taking inspiration from the spiritual guidance on this thread, I just gave Vampire a lash - seventy-something main gun hits (including quite a few on a Hosho), and zilch torp hits. Doh!

(We won, and somehow I came third - must take her out more often....!)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
3,476 posts
4,000 battles

My go-to ship for some low-tier R&R is most often the Bogatyr. She's got style, she's got panache, and she's got more guns on her than a Mississippi wedding witness. If you absolutely have to burn down every colonial outpost in the neighbourhood, accept no substitute!

That said, you can't go very wrong in the König Albert or the Orion. Or if you do, you have plenty of weight to throw around while you go looking for your way out.

And if you prefer to play the assassin's game, striking from the shadows and disappearing like a ghost into the night - choose the Shenyang or the Clemson!

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,476 posts
4,000 battles
3 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Taking inspiration from the spiritual guidance on this thread, I just gave Vampire a lash - seventy-something main gun hits (including quite a few on a Hosho), and zilch torp hits. Doh!

(We won, and somehow I came third - must take her out more often....!)

By all means, do! The senior commander of my commonwealth forces, Admiral Sir Harold Allen (D.S.C., D.S.O, 19 pts.), uses the Vampire as his pleasure yacht! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
294 posts

Mikasa is just too fun full secondary spec, get close and watch others melt from the constant barrage.

Nikolai is also a good ship, bordering on being OP.

Dreadnought, because Dreadnought.

• Cool 2

Players
65 posts
6,315 battles

Of the low teir Premium ships I love playing,

Smith

Tachibana 

Mikassa

Katori

Yubari 

Cambeltown

And Vampire are my favorite Premiums.

although Konig Albert, Albany and Emden are also fun to play at times.

Players
1,090 posts
10 minutes ago, Otowi said:

Mikasa is just too fun full secondary spec, get close and watch others melt from the constant barrage.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff! It's a shame I can't get another Yubari to spec for secondaries (um, secondary) as well, just for giggles ;)