Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Campbell

ASW helicopters in game

47 comments in this topic

Players
80 posts
3,230 battles

Could this be a thing? I was looking at the aft of my republique and this is a great big helipad on there, not sure if any other ships have helipad but would love to see that as an option for later ships, even if it is fairly limited.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,816 battles

It could be a consumable like the fighter plane patroling the ship. 

I like the idea. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-RNR-]
Players
1,264 posts

It depends on how WG's Ministry of Mayhem (Dev's Dept ) run with it, but I do like the idea, along with Hedgehog ASW mortars for when Subs appear in Random :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
10,391 posts
12,044 battles

WG mentioned in one Q&A (or article, can't remember) they will add ASW planes should they be deemed necessary for BBs/CA as countermeasure against subs.

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,826 posts
7,824 battles
4 minutes ago, Panocek said:

WG mentioned in one Q&A (or article, can't remember) they will add ASW planes should they be deemed necessary for BBs/CA as countermeasure against subs.

Hmm..

Seems a bit out of place on tier 4-7 since they turned up in the korean war

(But so does a lot of stuff WG dream up)

Players
2,339 posts
20,612 battles

Well the Republique has a helipad on the stern so it's potentially possible and for other BBs and the heavy cruisers ASW planes are more than possible additions considering HMS Warspite's plane sunk U 64.

We are still in the early stages of WG trying to figure subs out so anything is possible at this stage.

Players
10,391 posts
12,044 battles
3 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Hmm..

You can use corncob as "model" for ASW plane, so whether it will be plane, heli, flying saucer or corn of doom, it will use the same mechanic in the end... if WG adds ASW plane.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,303 posts
30,662 battles
13 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Float planes on ww2 warships could also be used to hunt subs. For example Warspite plane sunk a German uboat U-64 during the Second Battle of Narvik in 1940.

ASW aircrafts, both airplanes and helicopters, as consumable would be interesting idea. Just ASW helicopters not that much as so few ships in the game have modeled helipads. Republic, Burger, Colbert, Petro, Goliath and Smaland are the only one that have them if I'm not wrong. Some others maybe could be added, for some adding helipad would mean loss of quite a number of AA guns currently placed on ship aft, like for example Thunderer and Conq. So if it is just for helicopters and just for few T10 ships than I think it is pointless and waste of time and resources. If it is part of general ASW aircraft consumable then sure. 

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,826 posts
7,824 battles
11 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Float planes on ww2 warships could also be used to hunt subs. For example Warspite plane sunk a German uboat U-64 during the Second Battle of Narvik in 1940.

ASW aircrafts, both airplanes and helicopters, as consumable would be interesting idea. Just ASW helicopters not that much as so few ships in the game have modeled helipads. Republic, Burger, Colbert, Petro, Goliath and Smaland are the only one that have them if I'm not wrong. Some others maybe could be added, for some adding helipad would mean loss of quite a number of AA guns currently placed on ship aft, like for example Thunderer and Conq. So if it is just for helicopters and just for few T10 ships than I think it is pointless and waste of time and resources. If it is part of general ASW aircraft consumable then sure. 

A float plane isn´t a helicopter tho is it..

But it would solve one problem (among a thousand others) with implementing subs

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,303 posts
30,662 battles
1 minute ago, Ronchabale said:

A float plane isn´t a helicopter tho is it..

It is not? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Read the post you originally quoted. It is saying "planes" not helicopters. And you automatically jumped on conclusion that it means only helicopters which is not. ASW aircraft, both helicopters and planes,  as consumable could be added on all tiers for which that is reasonable.  

• Cool 1

[LUZ1]
Players
1,420 posts
14,564 battles
30 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Hmm..

Not really. As you are surely aware asw planes on carriers were instrumental in turning the tide in the battle of the Atlantic in 1943.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,303 posts
30,662 battles
2 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

Alternatively they could have autogyro's they were around before WW2 but not used extensively.

Why? I mean in same cases sure but there is not need for that. Basically you will activate consumable which would maybe make couple of turns around your ship and drop deptcharges. So it doesn't matter if aircraft in question is airplane or helicopter, only animation is different. And there would be no need to redesign models to include platform for autogyro.  

Players
2,339 posts
20,612 battles
Just now, fumtu said:

Why? I mean in same cases sure but there is not need for that. Basically you will activate consumable which would maybe make couple of turns around your ship and drop deptcharges. So it doesn't matter if aircraft in question is airplane or helicopter, only animation is different. And there would be no need to redesign models to include platform for autogyro.  

Im not saying they should, honestly I cannot see a situation where they would be necessary considering planes were the standard ASW system for large surface ships as per the HMS Warspite example. 

I simply pointed out that they existed at the relevant time period considering the question was about helicopters. 

[BBMM]
Players
6,995 posts
10,147 battles
3 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

Im not saying they should, honestly I cannot see a situation where they would be necessary considering planes were the standard ASW system for large surface ships as per the HMS Warspite example. 

I simply pointed out that they existed at the relevant time period considering the question was about helicopters. 

Same here. Wouldn't know why it would have to be helicopters or autogiros. 

ASW planes would be just as good, have them spot the subs (like planes do now with DDs that are otherwise hidden). 

And then have them bomb the MF. Pray and send sheep to RNGesus of course. 

• Funny 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,939 posts
20,778 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Campbell said:

Could this be a thing? I was looking at the aft of my republique and this is a great big helipad on there, not sure if any other ships have helipad but would love to see that as an option for later ships, even if it is fairly limited.

No. Planes yes.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,995 posts
10,147 battles

Side note: finally a use for CV fighter planes... :Smile_trollface:

Shoot down the ASW planes.... :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[MAS-X]
Players
467 posts
11,780 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

No need for them

I mean, if subs enter the game, i will stop play so... No need, thanks :D

but an heli spotter for ships could be a good idea, besides that we already have many ships from the 50 and even some from the 60, so an heli would make much more sense than ww2 subs that run at 20 knots underwater instead of 7

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
10,391 posts
12,044 battles
9 minutes ago, dunbine said:

No need for them

I mean, if subs enter the game, i will stop play so... No need, thanks :D

but an heli spotter for ships could be a good idea, besides that we already have many ships from the 50 and even some from the 60, so an heli would make much more sense than ww2 subs that run at 20 knots underwater instead of 7

Subs are ALREADY in the game and they WILL be pressed into randoms so WG can get at least some return of their new investment:cap_tea:

• Cool 2

Players
20 posts
91 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, fumtu sagte:

...and 2 Ar-196 captured HMS Seal.

So maybe some floatplanes can turn enemy subs green. :cap_look:

jk  

• Funny 1

[MAS-X]
Players
467 posts
11,780 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Subs are ALREADY in the game and they WILL be pressed into randoms so WG can get at least some return of their new investment:cap_tea:

They are free to press them in random

I am free to uninstall the game, never play again, and hope their investment will cost them so much players and money that from now on they will feel bad every time someone will name "submarines"

That's as simple as that ^_^

• Cool 3

[MAS-X]
Players
467 posts
11,780 battles
28 minutes ago, VaranusKomodoensis said:

...and 2 Ar-196 captured HMS Seal.

So maybe some floatplanes can turn enemy subs green. :cap_look:

jk  

You all don't consider the real problem of ww2 subs with planes.

Subs could stay underwater only for a very limited time, and when doing so their speed was more than halved compared to the surface.

When they spotted by a ship, it was easy for them to submerge, but a plane was another story, It could spot them, and drop a bomb on them before they had the time to disappear. And since we talk about a ww2 sub, a single bomb was more than enough to sunk it, or disable it and prevent it to submerge.

At some point of the war, this was such a problem that germans tried to increase the aa of the sub, and ordered them to try to shoot down any incoming aricraft (it was a failure)

That's how planes were effective against subs in ww2

Planes did not had any weapon able to attack a sub when it was submerged, this kind of weapons were developed much later, and at that point, cruisers already had missiles.

• Cool 1

Players
2,339 posts
20,612 battles
3 minutes ago, waxx25 said:

I hope subs will stay in a seperate game mode! 

I really hope they do too but that doesn't tend to be how WG operate sadly, but hey live in hope!

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this