Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Wulf_Ace

How many bombs are there??

29 comments in this topic

[RONIN]
Players
599 posts
4,975 battles

Ok explain to me beacouse obviously I am stupid, CV in his bomb payload can maximum drop 6 bombs (this is example of tier 10 CV) lower ones can only throw 3 if I am not mistaken. 

SO here is the question, HOW in the name of God in animation when he throws bombs at me there are 100 of them droping on me. SO are they all doing damage? yes no? How can I know which one of them are doing damage and which ones are fake animation bombs?? 

NOW on the other hand when I take my no skill CV ranger and shoot people with bombs you actually SEE very nicely 3 bombs droping on target, so what the actual fu.. with animation when you are on the receiving side??

shot-20_06.21_20_26.14-0582.thumb.jpg.eb5abc177a3ad58484987ec091de8b68.jpg

• Cool 2

[XTREM]
Players
2,125 posts
15,547 battles

It's an enemy Audacious. So that's 18 bombs per drop(6x3). The animation is not wrong. 

They're doing direct damage depending on where they hit, they have 41mm pen. Otherwise, they're shattering. 

• Cool 3

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Looks like a british bomb load. They have lots of small bombs that cover a relative large area but deal small amounts of damage each.

• Cool 2

[LHZP]
Beta Tester
73 posts
10,584 battles
14 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

SO are they all doing damage? yes no? How can I know which one of them are doing damage and which ones are fake animation bombs??

Those are RN carpet bombers, yes, all bombs are real and they all deal dmg, but they are not as good as the USN dive bombers.

[RONIN]
Players
599 posts
4,975 battles
14 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Looks like a british bomb load. They have lots of small bombs that cover a relative large area but deal small amounts of damage each.

Small amount of dmg? well lets see what stats say,stats,not me, 6 bombs per plane, (maximum bomb damage 6000, it says bomb not bombs.) so 6 bombs per plane, 3 planes thats 18 bombs, IF every bomb hits, that is 108 000 damage?????

shot-20.06.21_20.13.28-0565.jpg

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,647 posts
19,099 battles
18 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Small amount of dmg? well lets see what stats say,stats,not me, 6 bombs per plane, (maximum bomb damage 6000, it says bomb not bombs.) so 6 bombs per plane, 3 planes thats 18 bombs, IF every bomb hits, that is 108 000 damage?????

They never all hit. The planes drop their bombs across the aiming reticle (in a line, end to end), which is pretty much 1 and 1/3 rd times the length of a battleship and twice as wide.  The reticle is oval, so dodging works quite effectively - even if I get my planes precisely lined up some bombs will still disperse away from the target ship, and that's before we get into their (quite limited) penetration capacity.

RN Bombs.jpg

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
599 posts
4,975 battles
10 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

They never all hit. The planes drop their bombs across the aiming reticle (in a line, end to end), which is pretty much 1 and 1/3 rd times the length of a battleship and twice as wide.  The reticle is oval, so dodging works quite effectively - even if I get my planes precisely lined up some bombs will still disperse away from the target ship, and that's before we get into their (quite limited) penetration capacity.

Can you just answer me from previous post, so is it true that IF and I say IF they all hit its 108 000  damage?

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
512 posts
2,678 battles
12 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

If every bomb hits AND penetrates the ships armor which given the British is VERY unlikely

eg.

image.thumb.png.39aa7130421fcaf5e7572df010d07b64.png

That's against a tier 10 Italian Cruiser (that is stationary), notice how the bomb site is bigger than the cruiser? And that's with Tier 8 bombers dropping 6 bombs with a smaller bombing zone, the tier 10 bombers bombing area is BIGGER than a Grosser Kurfurst and only pens 41mm of armor

image.thumb.png.29db7c3b86322671bdbdc43ea8689dc3.png

So it struggles to hit ships smaller than a BB with most of its bombs, does poor damage per bomb and against BB sized targets struggles to pen... well... anything other than superstructure.

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
2,125 posts
15,547 battles
2 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Can you just answer me from previous post, so is it true that IF and I say IF they all hit its 108 000  damage?

No, never. The 6k dmg listed in the stats is maximum damage, which only happens if the bombs citadel a target.

Given these are HE bombs with 41mm pen, plus the armour schemes of all ships it meets, even if somehow they all hit(also never) they will never do 108,000 damage in a drop. 

Optimistically you can expect around 12-14k damage at most with these bombs on one drop - assuming the target has copious amounts of sub-41mm plating(Republique or Montana), has a large enough surface area, and is damage-unsaturated. And, you are able to line up a perfect drop bow to stern.

Again, that's being optimistic. Usually you will get far less direct damage. 

• Cool 4

[CULMY]
Players
294 posts
12,698 battles
6 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

No, it isn't. If we assume every bomb in payload hit target, ehm first place in the lottery has higher probability so:

1) These bombs cannot citadel so their damage potential is only 33% of the listed number.

2) They are explosive so no overpenetration either.

3) This means they only shatter (zero damage) or penetrate, so 33% to zero damage depends on the saturation of the ship section which was hit. In both cases, they can start fires if ship section isn't already aflame

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
44 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Spoiler

108k damage only if they all penetrate into your citadel. Which those small HE bombs do not do.

There is also the mentioned spread of those bombs. You need to be real bad at evading and the CV really lucky for them all to hit and for some not to shatter or miss completly.

IJN AP bombs are much more nasty than those british HE bomb clusters (unless you are a DD).

[TACHA]
Players
512 posts
2,678 battles

So tried again for the lolz, same thing as last time but with the Audacious Wyvern bombers

image.thumb.png.5db60fc571a9ae6f5056bce086945df2.png

Sweet Jesup, those Wyverns have a phat bombing area O_O

And after a dozen repeats and attempted strikes against a stationary ship(s) from different angles the best result against a Venezia was:

image.thumb.png.ce34a4b79e1b631166c2c18de6427e22.png

7 bomb strikes with 1 hitting a forward turret and shattering and two more hitting AA mounts.

Wyvern is... less that stellar as a bomber and TBH this just goes to show that more doesn't equal better.

TBH as I say in every British CV thread, stick with the stock Level bomber planes, they drop less bombs but the bombing area is soooo much smaller allowing for far greater chance of actually hitting something. (and they regen faster to boot :cap_like:)

And with that I'ma gonna go throw those Wyvern back overboard and re stock my Firebrands, 2 less bombs per plane but 100% better aircraft* :Smile_playing:

*(IMO)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
30,887 posts
15,682 battles
1 hour ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Ok explain to me beacouse obviously I am stupid, CV in his bomb payload can maximum drop 6 bombs (this is example of tier 10 CV) lower ones can only throw 3 if I am not mistaken. 

SO here is the question, HOW in the name of God in animation when he throws bombs at me there are 100 of them droping on me.

I do not see one hundred bombs. Are you sure you counted one hundred bombs?

• Boring 1

[NWP]
Players
3,653 posts
18,027 battles
10 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

I do not see one hundred bombs. Are you sure you counted one hundred bombs?

1, 2, many, great many, 100 :cap_tea:

• Funny 3

[KAKE]
Players
2,790 posts
6,795 battles
11 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

If they all hit and penetrate it's 36000 damage. I don't think there's any ship in Audacious' matchmaking spread that'll take citadel damage from something with 41mm penetration.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,521 posts
12,974 battles
9 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

If they all hit and penetrate it's 36000 damage. I don't think there's any ship in Audacious' matchmaking spread that'll take citadel damage from something with 41mm penetration.

may be mino and / or colbert? 

If you are lucky enough? I don't know about their citadel roof armor to be honest. 

can someone enlighten us? 

[XTREM]
Players
2,125 posts
15,547 battles
22 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

may be mino and / or colbert? 

If you are lucky enough? I don't know about their citadel roof armor to be honest. 

can someone enlighten us? 

No, Audacious bombs won't ever manage to cit anything in it's spread. 

Because of the way HE works, for them to cit the citadel roof must be exposed(ie have not deck armour above it, no superstructure, etc) and have 41mm protection or less.

OR, the bombs have to impact the side(possible) and meet said <41mm citadel plating directly(Impossible)

There is no scenario at T8-10 where cits can occur with these. 

In fact, there is no scenario where you can score a cit with the vastly superior Midway DBs and their excellent 67mm pen either. 

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles
12 hours ago, DeviousDave02 said:

image.thumb.png.5db60fc571a9ae6f5056bce0

Sweet Jesup, those Wyverns have a phat bombing area O_O

Arc Royals Swordfish for comparison (3x8 bombs)

Spoiler

EeYr6Jp.png

The same drop area as a destroyer? How convenient. 

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,521 posts
12,974 battles
1 hour ago, Miragetank90 said:

No, Audacious bombs won't ever manage to cit anything in it's spread. 

Because of the way HE works, for them to cit the citadel roof must be exposed(ie have not deck armour above it, no superstructure, etc) and have 41mm protection or less.

OR, the bombs have to impact the side(possible) and meet said <41mm citadel plating directly(Impossible)

There is no scenario at T8-10 where cits can occur with these. 

In fact, there is no scenario where you can score a cit with the vastly superior Midway DBs and their excellent 67mm pen either. 

I remember citadeling something with midway HE bombers... vaugely remember that.. 

once I guess.. can't remember what it is.. or was it TiTs? 

[XTREM]
Players
2,125 posts
15,547 battles
18 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

I remember citadeling something with midway HE bombers... vaugely remember that.. 

once I guess.. can't remember what it is.. or was it TiTs? 

Hm, TiTs pen is virtually the same as the bombs, 68mm.

IIRC the weakest, exposed(not covered by other plating) cit armour in this spread is Smolensk with 70mm. 

Unless I'm forgetting a ship? :cap_hmm:

I never cited anything with HE bombers or rockets at this tier though.

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,521 posts
12,974 battles
1 minute ago, Miragetank90 said:

Hm, TiTs pen is virtually the same as the bombs, 68mm.

IIRC the weakest, exposed(not covered by other plating) cit armour in this spread is Smolensk with 70mm. 

Unless I'm forgetting a ship? :cap_hmm:

I never cited anything with HE bombers or rockets at this tier though.

Then I must be dreaming.. 

It happens when I play CVs

:)

Sign in to follow this