You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GolfAlphaZulu

Nooby question

32 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
62 battles

I did search online first, but no answer. So my question is, from what tier do you get a feel for each line? Except Carriers as I have no intention of playing them. 

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
608 posts
5,069 battles
5 minutes ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

I did search online first, but no answer. So my question is, from what tier do you get a feel for each line? Except Carriers as I have no intention of playing them. 

Tier 8

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,118 posts
10,328 battles

That really depends on the line tbh. You'll have to be a bit more specific.

Japanese tend to start early at about tier 5 for all surface ships, germans at about tier 7, US cruisers at about 6 I'd say and BBs at tier 8 and so on.

Players
2,488 posts
4 minutes ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

Usually by tier 6 or 7 you should have a grasp of how things work for BB's.

Cruiser Tier 8 onward and the same for DD's...

Players
3 posts
62 battles

Thanks for the replies. I have got to T6 on Japanese DD. From Isokaze to Minekaze was a different game all together and I really struggled with it, hence the question. Was thinking of trying every line up to say tier 5.

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Players
608 posts
5,069 battles
11 minutes ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

Thanks for the replies. I have got to T6 on Japanese DD. From Isokaze to Minekaze was a different game all together and I really struggled with it, hence the question. Was thinking of trying every line up to say tier 5.

Tier 5 is too low to get a feeling of a line. Tier 8 by my experience is where everything starts.

[CATS]
Players
31,115 posts
15,725 battles
15 minutes ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

Isokaze and Minekaze have the exact same playstyle....

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
18 minutes ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

You dont have enough games yet, aslong as you are below 75 games, you have protected MM, but it also ends when you get to T5. In protected MM, you even have bots in there.

• Cool 1

Players
7,312 posts
11,668 battles
25 minutes ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

what @DFens_666 said - you played against 80% bots so far in T1 to T4. You should stick to low tiers and get out of the protection for new players (which ends at 75 games). Then you will face real humans in low tier games aswell and get a real feeling for the game - which is needed to get a perspective of lines. Its way too early for you to think about T6+ .

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,816 battles

T8 ships get a huge boost compared to T7, mostly due to the concealment module. If you can perform there (usually against T10) you will get a pretty good idea how that shipline will play out. 

[NECRO]
Players
687 posts
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Isokaze and Minekaze have the exact same playstyle....

Yeah, the change comes with Fubuki/Hatsuharu... slower ships, less agile ships, longer reload times.

• Cool 1

Players
3,108 posts

A lot of lines split and the gameplay is very different. My advice is to look what you like in the ships you play (IJN DDs?) and look up the line. The Shima line is a torp line and the Harugumo a gunboat. Choose which you prefer as they play different somewhat.

[RODS]
Players
1,826 posts
7,824 battles
2 hours ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

Learn to play around tier 5-6

Play all ship types (destroyer, cruiser, battleship) so as to know their strength, weakness and playstyle

Play different nations, they all have different "flavours"

When u are good enough 50% < winrate and decent damage dealing on recent battles go up one tier

[NECRO]
Players
687 posts
12 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

A lot of lines split and the gameplay is very different. My advice is to look what you like in the ships you play (IJN DDs?) and look up the line. The Shima line is a torp line and the Harugumo a gunboat. Choose which you prefer as they play different somewhat.

Imho, the split should have been made at T8. Haruhatsu and Shiratsuyu are hardly gunboats. But I guess WG wanted to use them somewhere.

Players
3 posts
62 battles

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't realise about the protected MM up to 75 games, but the general feeling is that from Tier 1 to 7-8 it's all about learning, and after that is when the serious playing starts? 

Players
3,108 posts
11 minutes ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't realise about the protected MM up to 75 games, but the general feeling is that from Tier 1 to 7-8 it's all about learning, and after that is when the serious playing starts? 

You can have fantastic games at tiers 5-6, don't feel pressured trying to reach a higher tier just have fun with whatever ship you drive. Some of my favorite ships are at tier 6 :)

• Cool 2

[NECRO]
Players
687 posts
15 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

You can have fantastic games at tiers 5-6, don't feel pressured trying to reach a higher tier just have fun with whatever ship you drive. Some of my favorite ships are at tier 6 :)

With the added benefit that a greater proportion of those ships are not conjured up from some shady blueprints.

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
2 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Tier 8 by my experience is where everything starts

or ends

Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,317 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, GolfAlphaZulu sagte:

Most people here did not bother to take a look at current level of gameplay and gave advice which does not relate to your situation.

The learning starts from the beginning and does never end.

Tier 8 to 10, the high tiers, see ships with great offensive capabilities. Basically that means that a beginner like you will get killed much faster than on tier 4.

There are different steps in the game. First step is that you play with a lot of bots. Another step is that from tier 5 you can face ships two tiers higher than your own. Before that the maximum difference is one tier.

Some ship lines see differences betwern two ships like Japanese cruisers between tier 4 (Kuma, light rapid firing cruiser) to tier 5 (Furutaka, heavy caliber guns with long reload), others between tier 7 and 8 (US battleships see a change of speed and armour protection scheme).

Try to play a good variety of ships to find out what is most fun for you. Don't rush the tiers, it is not a race to get there as fast as possible just to get beaten up all the time. Any tier can be fun.

Players
3,575 posts

someone called?

I would say from tier 4 upwards, to properly get the feel. although in my case that just might have slipped the moorings:Smile_veryhappy:

But alas, other will give you better answers.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,559 posts
17,656 battles

The best advice is above - play the ships you enjoy and when you get good at them, move to the next tier. And the top tiers are not always more fun. Economics mean that the top tiers will often make a loss if you lose and this leads to a much less mobile game with less chance taking. Tier 7 is my favourite by miles as there are less radar ships and the play style more adventurous. However you will soon find out what you like. I would also suggest joining a clan, partly because you will get more XP and credits per battle and there is also the chance to play in division with clan mates and you will learn both what to do and what not to do! Start with a beginner clan - you can always swap as you get better!

[RODS]
Players
1,826 posts
7,824 battles
4 hours ago, GolfAlphaZulu said:

Tier 6 will drop you in a tier 4-8 battle

Tier 7 will drop you in a tier 5-9 battle

Tier 8 will drop you in a tier 6-10 battle

This is why u dont need to be in a great hurry to start playing tier 8 ships

Matchmaking Chart - General Discussion - World of Warships ...

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,882 posts
6,468 battles
3 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

Correction: 5-8. Tier 4 doesn't see tier 6's unless they're in a fail div, and havent for a couple of years now.

[RODS]
Players
1,826 posts
7,824 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Correction: 5-8. Tier 4 doesn't see tier 6's unless they're in a fail div, and havent for a couple of years now.

edited thanks Lafeel 

[CATS]
Players
31,115 posts
15,725 battles
2 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Tier 7 will drop you in a tier 5-9 battle

Tier 8 will drop you in a tier 6-10 battle

This is why u dont need to be in a great hurry to start playing tier 8 ships

Matchmaking Chart - General Discussion - World of Warships ...

That is a VERY old and outdated chart.