Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
nibiru_star

Cruiser, Japan or US?

7 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
266 posts
8,096 battles

US line has the upper hand atm (imo) due to its tier 10 Des Moines. However, in other tiers, I find them more balanced. Each have their prons and cons. US better in open seas (kite at long ranges and DPM to death), Japan better if you got maps with islands and you got to go through close quarters. (A Japan cruiser meeting a US cruiser around the corner.... if 1-2 torps hit, it's gg).

For the record, I don't play Japan Cruisers myself yet (waiting on port slots discount lol) or the Des Moines, so I state my opinion based of my experience in fights.  (Earlier I was playing in Hotspot map with my New Orleans, I had to go through some islands cuz I was being chased by 2 BBs, omw I met a Japan cruiser between the islands, nowhere to turn, kite, evade, 2 torps hit, gg.. - on the other hand, I do enjoy my New Orleans in maps with open seas and room to kite at long ranges).

Regards,

Stugga

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles

Hmmmm

I do not think there's much difference whether you play IJN or USN.

Cruisers are cruisers. you dodge and fire dodge and fire

Torpedoes are a nice addition to the IJN, but they are only auxiliary, you depend on your guns

USN got better gun layout overall I'd say and they present a smaller target

They are harder to citadel pen sometimes

Hmm, Cleveland is OP doesn't belong in tier 6

DM is Op doesn't belong in the game

Other than that they are pretty similar

Maybe IJN has a little bit higher skill ceiling, but after tier 7 they play the god damn same way

Beta Tester
145 posts

I've been playing for about 30 days, spending most of my time in cruisers.  I don't like DDs, never tried a CV (pretty sure it's not my cup of tea) and not crazy about BBs, either.  I'm close to getting a Mogami (again) and about half-way to a New Orleans.

So far, it's really hard to pick one nation over another.  Each side has a good ship where its counterpart may be kinda crappy at a given tier.

I will say this, I like US better than IJN up through Tier 6.  Cleveland was far more fun than the Aoba, which I wouldn't wait to get out of.  The IJN cruisers up their tier 5 feel like oversized destroyers.  I don't think the Aoba is bad at tier 6, I just much preferred the Cleveland.  I guess it was just easier to use effectively.

At Tier 7, I think things swing in favor of the IJN.  I like the Myoko way more than the Pensacola (which feels like a general downgrade from the Cleveland).  Myoko feels like more and better of everything with torps on top.  Not sure how things compare at Tier 8 an above in the cruiser trees, as I haven't been there yet.

In general, I prefer the gunnery style of play over torpedoes, but it's definitely nice to be able to lob a few torps now and then.

Beta Tester
164 posts
3,421 battles

low tier-> US

mid tier-> IJN (with the exception of the cleveland, that thing is a beast)

high tier-> I'll tell you when I get there on both trees :D

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

USN cruisers are sturdier and harder to citadel. They fare well at long distance fights against cruisers and BBs where their design make then survive better. Against DDs they are as good as any other cruiser except the New Orleans and Baltimore thanks to their limited number of turrets which make then a bit more harder to lead the target. At medium ranges they lose their advantage because the shots are still plunging and the reduced distance makes it easier to pinpoint their citadels. At close distance it becomes in a brutal knifefight: They excel in close distance against BBs thanks to their superior turret traverse and that they resist secondary armament better. On close distance against an IJN CA, the ISN CA struggles thanks to the torpedoes and that both can basically shotgun each other to death.

IJN CA are fragile, they've got bigger citadels and lighter armor which make then prone to receive a lot of damage if you don't plan ahead. Their strenght lies in its lower concealment, superior speed and torps. At long distance an IJN CA struggles, it has the same damage potential as an USN CA but it MUST dodge or otherwise can lose its health quickly. This is both for enemy CAs or BBs. A IJN CA can be the bane of destroyers: more turrets means better lead and torps can be a nasty surprise for then too. At medium distance an IJN CA becomes equal to an USN CA, but it can use torps which can tip the balance to its favor. At short distance, the torps will definetly be handy against anything.

Sign in to follow this