Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Electric_Brain

New Battlecruiser Tech Tree and a few premium ones for WOWS

5 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
9,033 battles

Hello Captains,

Hope you're weathering this pandemic well with your countless gaming sessions. Anyways, buckle up, because this could end up becoming a long post. Now that it's been about 5 years since World of Warships came into Open Beta, I've long awaited the addition of a dedicated Battlecruiser tech tree to this game, however back in the early days this would have been panned because of their relative unfeasibility back then considering the meta, however with over a year since the first of the supposed Super Cruisers, Large Cruisers or better called Battlecruisers began entering the game as Coal, Premium and Steel ships, I think the time could'nt be any more great in making my case for the following tech tree lines and standalone premium ships. And now, for the contenders,

The Royal Navy, the OG who started this entire fuss in the first place : 
1. At Tier III, I propose the Invincible class Battlecruisers, first of her kind and as revolutionary as the Dreadnought, she and the latter defined the all-big gun concept of capital ships and set the tone for later designs, both competing and successive. 

2. At Tier IV, I propose the Indefatigable class, basically a reworked Invincible, she featured much better firing arcs than the latter. 

3. At Tier V, I propose the HMS Queen Mary, a second generation battlecruiser, she definitely represented a step up from the Invincible/Indefatigable class with improved armor and upgunned to have 13.5 inch guns. While I originally thought of slotting the Lion class, since we already have a tech tree BB of the same name, I thought the Queen Mary was a better candidate then. 

4. At Tier VI, I propose the unique battlecruiser, HMS Tiger. While sporting the same caliber of guns as the Lion duo/Queen Mary, her layout was very definitive and her armor was more than what the previous classes ever had, something that stood up to it's billing when despite taking some severe damage, she remained afloat and operational unlike the other Battlecruisers that went down that day. 

5. At Tier VII, I propose the last classic Battlecruiser that the Royal Navy commissioned, the Renown class. Representing the third generation of the Battlecruisers designed by the RN, she was significantly upgunned to have 15inch guns and also had some good armor for her type in those days. While often overshadowed by the HMS Hood in many respects, the class acquitted itself well in service, with Renown having the longest service life of any RN Battlecruiser. While some may argue she is a better fit at Tier 6, her speed and the Refit she underwent in 1936 made her vastly more superior to her pre-refit days, thus securing her place at the proposed tier. 

Thus that encapsulates my proposal for an RN Battlecruiser tech tree, however if you think I was done, lmao, you're in for a rude awakening. One cannot talk about the RN Battlecruisers without the mention of the Silver Hounds of the Kaiserliche Marine, yes, if you're guessing correctly, it's time to talk about the opposite numbers of the classic RN Battlecruiser line, the German Battlecruisers, one may argue that they were also the prototypes for Fast Battleships considering the amount of armor they carried wrt to other Battlecruisers from other nations, however that is a debate for another day. Hence, from the Kaiserliche Marine, the contenders for German Battlecruisers are :

1. At Tier III,  SMS Von der Tann, the ship that began the German love affair with Battlecruisers, and punched as hard as she could take, destroyer of HMS Indefatigable and one stout ship. Her 28cm guns and modest speed definitely places her at Tier III. 

2. At Tier IV, much like the Invincible/Indefatigable duo, the Moltke class improves upon the basic von der Tann by improving the firing arcs with an additional gun turret for another 2x28cm guns while also packing slightly more armor, and speed. A case could also be put forth for the SMS Seydlitz however, being the only member of the class with much fewer improvements compared to her forebears, she is better off as a future premium ship in my opinion. 

3. At Tier V, the second generation of German Battlecruisers, and designed as a reply to the HMS Lion, the SMS Derfflinger represented a definitive step up in Battlecruiser design for the Kaiserliche Marine, having been up gunned to 8x30.5cm guns, and rationalized in two fore superfiring and two aft offset pairs all mounted on the centerline to give good firing arcs, she represented quite an advance for the Kaiserliche Marine and the class acquitted itself well in combat, being nicknamed the Iron Dogs by the Royal Navy in Jutland for their ability to take a beating (Lutzow sank much later after the primary engagement after a prolonged battle to keep her afloat and beach her).

Now, here's where most peeps would think, oh heck mate, that's enough battlecruisers right, after all we covered each class that was built and operated, but I beg to differ, since the dawn of paper ships in WOWS and also their proliferation, I thought it's time somebody paid attention to the following ships as well since they would have made formidable fighting ships and it would be fun to have them in game, hence, continuing on where we left in the Kaiserliche Marine, I present the first paper ship

4. At Tier VI, the Mackensen class Battlecruiser, of which we have the Prinz Eitel Freidrich, however being a premium ship and being such a half assed one, I decided against ruling out the Mackensens and reinstating them back in with much more rework. With 350mm guns and armor approaching those of a traditional Battleship, she was the beginning of the merging of the concepts of Battlecruisers and Battleships to create the first Fast Battleship designs of the Kaiserliche Marine, unfortunately due to the armistice, the 4 that were laid down were never completed and all were scrapped post war. 

5. At Tier VII, and the last German Paper ship in this post, is the Ersatz Yorck class. Being armed with the same main armament as the Bayern with 38cm guns and with the same heavy armor but high speed, she can be considered the Bismarck of her era, however like the Mackensens, she would never see the light of the day and it would definitely be a spectacle to play with her in game. 

Now, enough with the Royal Navy and German Battlecruisers, and let's explore two other Battlecruiser Designs that also deserve to be seen in game, they are :

For the US Navy, at Tier VII or VIII, the Lexington class Battlecruisers, of which, one already exists in it's ultimate Aircraft Carrier converted form, the USS Lexington. Hence instead of naming the Battlecruiser as such, we can make a case for the addition of USS Saratoga or USS Constellation, both of which were laid down but only Saratoga was completed albeit in her Aircraft Carrier form. Armed with 8x40.6cm guns, she was almost like a jumboised and speedy version of the Colorado or a Battlecruiser version of the abortive South Dakota class standard battleship of 1921. It would be a treat to see her in game, being the largest and fastest Battlecruiser to sail. 

And the last ship which I would like to propose at Tier VII, is for the European Naval Tech Tree, either as a Premium or Coal ship, the Design 1047 class Battlecruiser. More of less a Dutch version of the Scharnhorst, unlike the other ships, she was only conceived on paper and never laid down as the invasion of the Netherlands put a stop to that. However, I do still feel she can be added in the game since WG has not shied away from paper ships as recent releases have shown. And that's it boys, this long post on addition of Battlecruisers to the game ends. 

Regards,

Swapnil. 

P.S, constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome and if you feel annoyed, bored or do not strongly agree with any of the above, the ignore option is always left open, Cheers. 

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles
13 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

Idk if it's true or not but I found such thing on FB. 

received_633847440793418.jpeg

I suspect the above is a fan photoshop. This makes it about as valid as 2/3 of the RU tech tree - so there is no reason why we can't have it. 

Give us RN BCs and all WG's mistakes will be forgiven. Well, at least until the next clanger they decide to embark on. 

[MORIA]
Players
7,796 posts
39,355 battles
50 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

I suspect the above is a fan photoshop. This makes it about as valid as 2/3 of the RU tech tree - so there is no reason why we can't have it. 

Give us RN BCs and all WG's mistakes will be forgiven. Well, at least until the next clanger they decide to embark on. 

Yeah but it's possible to do that. Also the Japanese BBs can do a split between battle cruisers and BBs. 

Players
5 posts
9,033 battles
3 hours ago, MacArthur92 said:

Idk if it's true or not but I found such thing on FB. 

received_633847440793418.jpeg

Honestly, even this would work because it also includes the Admiral class Battlecruisers and the proposed G3 Class Battlecruisers, I excluded them in the original post because they represented too radical a departure from the British Battlecruiser philosophy. But if WG did even include them in a tech tree split, then I would be more than happy to grind it. 

Regards,

Swapnil. 

Sign in to follow this