You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Armchair Admirals: Live Premiere

15 comments in this topic

WG Team, Master Pirate, Sailing Hamster
1,533 posts

Join us live next Friday for Episode 1 of our new historical talk show, starring our history experts The Mighty Jingles, Drachinifel, and Tuccy. Submit you questions for our panel within!

Read it on the portal
  • Cool 2

Players
1,410 posts
17,581 battles

Can I just say I love the art work, whom ever drew that did a great job. 

I look forward to the stream too of course. 

• Cool 5

[SWN]
Players
29 posts
6,780 battles

What a nice idea, looking forward to it.

And have to agree: The artwork for the arcmchair admirals ;) is amazing!

• Cool 3

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,280 posts
13,751 battles
32 minutes ago, Asatori said:

What a nice idea, looking forward to it.

And have to agree: The artwork for the arcmchair admirals ;) is amazing!

Thanks, looking forward to seeing you there on Friday!

Players
300 posts

This new series is a nice initiative, although judging from the topics and posts on the WOWS NA and EU forum it seems that the majority of the WOWS player base is not that interested in history and more in the game WOWS.

I suggest that those that have sent in questions for the upcoming episode post them here so we can see what sort of questions have been posed to the panel of three.

The subject of the upcoming first episode of "Warship Stories" is "the decisive aircraft carrier battles of 1942".

Regarding that topic I have asked several questions and sent them via the link to WOWS.

These are my questions:

QUESTION (1): Can you expand on the difference between British, USA and Japanese naval Doctrine in general and regarding the Carrier Doctrine of these three navies in particular?

QUESTION (2): Can you expand on the importance of naval doctrine and why doctrine supersedes and dictates both the decisions of senior naval commanders and the naval tactics used in battle and why.

QUESTION (3):  Can you expand on why Japanese naval doctrine was of decisive influence on the outcome of the Battle of Midway?

QUESTION (4): Can you explain why the Japanese naval doctrine allowed them to launch 108 Combat Aircraft in one single concentrated combat formation from four Japanese Carriers (AKAGI, KAGA, HIRYU, SORYU) against Midway in the morning of 4 June 1942 in only seven minutes, while the USA naval doctrine only allowed 117 Combat Aircraft to be launced from two USA Carriers (ENTERPRISE, HORNET) in the morning of 4 June 1942 in about 60+ minutes which was then sent in uncoordinated and piecemeal against the aforementioned four Japanese Carriers?

Let us see if the panel of three are inclined to respond to these four questions and have the knowledge and aptitude to answer them.

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,479 posts
8,747 battles

We have a lot of questions in the survey, so hope we will be able to cover many of them... and I uess the doctrine will be one of the important parts of it all.

I would however correct the question above - the Japanese launch procedure was rather fast for its time, but it still took some 45 - 60 minutes (arming of the 1st wave with bombs started at around 3:30 in the morning local time, Midway attack launched at 4:30). Arming and warming up are integral parts of the launch sequence (and were also a significant part of the delays for the Enterprise and esp. Hornet launches).

If anything the 1st wave launch was slower than for example for Pearl Harbor - then again there was no need to spot and launch 2nd wave so soon unlike for Pearl Harbor so things moved at a slower pace. 

Which was still very fast and smooth and the only US carrier coming clodse on the day was Yorktown. Launches continued to plague the US carrier operations throughout the 1942.

In any case more doctrine talk on Friday :) 

• Cool 1

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
767 posts
3,532 battles

As a military and especially naval history nerd, I can only endorse things like this. At the same time though, the bottom picture on the portal is quite offensive to my sensibilites. Three burning Akagis? Seriously? Thats really shoddy work. Would it have been so hard to make it Akagi, Kaga and Soryu? Very disappointing... Makes me wonder what kind of bot does these pictures...

Players
3,342 posts

Hope they won't neglect to mention my Admiral cousins...:Smile_unsure:... on second thought, considering the things that happened in the Far East maybe they should....:Smile_hiding:

[ADRIA]
Players
54 posts
11,796 battles

I normally wouldn't care but wow you bringing the big ShakeykShima Drachinifel calibre out.  Looking forward.  I really hope the video/ montage team doesn't make it as boring as the chieftain videos. (No disrespect to chieftain)

Players
380 posts

Looking like a 10 out of 10 WG. Drachinifel, Jingles and of course Tuccy :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[PL_RP]
Players
106 posts
18,141 battles

One thing is certain, I will not pay anything for this game. It is not worth investing money as WG ban honest players.

• Boring 1

Players
15 posts
5,560 battles

Given the artwork, does that mean we will be getting the Akagi in near future ? 

Much more interesting than paper german CVs imo.

• Cool 1

[NSAF]
Players
35 posts
7,105 battles

only one of those that actually knows naval history is drach, jingles on the other hand....ye, he's a muppet, that throws crap at WG one day and vows never to play it anymore, then goes on to sell out to them....

[DAUK]
Players
3 posts
4,891 battles

Only managed to catch part of the stream but from what I saw I thought it was excellent. Will definitely be looking out for future episodes. I thought it was a good mix of characters today - Drach really knows his ship (sic) and Jingles makes me laugh every time. Way to go guys!