Sign in to follow this  
strangers123

North Carolina maximum firing range

7 comments in this topic

Supertester, Master Pirate
641 posts
9,187 battles

The maximum fire range of the North Carolina (Tier 8 US BoringBoat) appears to be around 20km, attempting to fire past this will cause the shells to land around 19-20km ish.

This was not an issue in the Colorado or the Iowa.

This will occur firing with target selected, and with no target selected.

Vanilla install, no mods

Ship in top configuration

No fire range increase equipment

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,372 battles

Some pictures I took earlier to provide proof for your claims. 

View PostSander93, on 17 May 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

Enemy ship is AFK in spawn, and I'm laying at anchor. With both of us not moving, there shouldn't be any aim assist mechanics active trying to secretly alter my aiming. 

Target AFK at 21,8 kilometers. Aiming at 21,84. Shells land... at something like 18 kilometers. 

shot_15_05_17_08_54_08_0108.jpg

shot_15_05_17_08_54_22_0372.jpg

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,552 battles

'Should' being the word.

We just don't know what is going on behind the screen. But some ships have a bad tendency to not shoot far enough when maxed out in range.

Now my personal theory is simple. The fire director upgrade adds the required range to the sights, but never actually applies it to the guns. The drop appear to be in conjunction with max range, and the shells appear to land those 2ish km out. That is in line with what I have experienced with other ships (not all). I haven't experienced the mysterious shell drop at anything but extreme ranges.

Supertester, Master Pirate
641 posts
9,187 battles

I sold my NC, but from what I saw rewatching replays, ALL salvoes aimed farther than 20/21km landed at that range

Could someone who has a NC please fit the increased range equipment (+16% firing range) and see if the shells now travel to 24 km (stock+16%) OR 26KM (top +16%)

EDIT: It seems to be linked to the ship, or a part of it, not the aiming mechanics, since wierd shells going elsewhere are tied to the target lockons. This will occur with both target locked and no target locked.

Edited by strangers123

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,372 battles

View Poststrangers123, on 18 May 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

Could someone who has a NC please fit the increased range equipment (+16% firing range) and see if the shells now travel to 24 km (stock+16%) OR 26KM (top +16%)

As a test I installed the range module for one battle to see if that would solve the problem. 

I tried to shoot at an enemy battleship that was, I think, about 24 kilometers away. Shells still landed a few kilometers short.

Someone would have to do more/better tests to get some conclusive answers though. I didn't record anything so I can't be too sure anymore of the ranges I just stated. What I am sure of however is that the range module does not fix the problem. 

Sign in to follow this