You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
mantiscore

Steel camos?

23 comments in this topic

Players
521 posts
7,933 battles

I'm wondering if i should get it. I really like it, but i have only 14k steel, so 10k is obviously a lot for me. However the cheapest sterl shipis still a lightyear away, so i will probably never get a steel ship.  
And thats why im considering it, as I really dont feel like waiting 2-3 years for one ship, while im using the dm nearly everyday.  
Thoughts?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Players
1,973 posts
19,682 battles

I really like the look of the steel camos but the price is just too steep for me and I'm sitting on about 38,000 steel, the last thing I want to do is spend a load of steel and then find some new interesting ship new comes out. 

As for your position OP I would still be tempted to save your steel as it's still a damn hard to come by resource but it comes down to how much you like the camo. 

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
12,512 battles

Why invest such a hard earning currency on nothing that brings enough benefits to make it stand out compared to the others? If it have offered +200% more commander xp, free xp, XP, -70% ship post battle repairs then YES it would have been worth it more or less, but now it is an absolute NO....SAVE FOR SLAVA OR PAOLO THEY WILL BE GAME CHANGING SHIPS.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,950 posts
14,550 battles

If you have your eye on competitive play then it would be nice to have a Stalin at least, it shouldn't take years.

You have 14k already, so assuming you play clan battles, and you finish the missions in storm, some typhoon, plus the next ranked, I think you'll have enough to get it using a coupon, or very close.

But if you can't be fussed to do that then sure, go for it.  

• Cool 2

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,209 posts
22,804 battles

Another option is coal ships, 14k steel is 140k coal. Decisions, decisions.

Players
1,764 posts
11,855 battles

It's very simple: if you like it and if you want it -> buy it. There is no point in hording something and never use it because 'just in case' or 'one day' could happen.

Players
272 posts
7 hours ago, mantiscore said:

However the cheapest sterl shipis still a lightyear away, so i will probably never get a steel ship.  

I just previewed how my Yamato looks with a coat of steel...and it's silly. I already have the K117 and Kobayashi (with a pretty bow on the superstructure ) camos so I've decided to let it hibernate for a lightyear until steel accumulates. 

[STEEL]
Players
660 posts

The concept of buying a camo that makes my steel ships look like they were made of steel seems dubious at best... while I can see the appeal this has for a certain wannabe navy whose ships were made predominantly out of blueprint paper.

• Funny 1

Players
3,144 posts
17,735 battles

Don't buy permaflages, ever.

WG just nerfs the ship to oblivion later and the ressources are wasted. Happened with

- Worchester

- Yue Yang

- Henri IV

- Daring (nerfed last 3 patches)

• Cool 2

Players
2,366 posts
32,043 battles
9 hours ago, mantiscore said:

I'm wondering if i should get it. I really like it, but i have only 14k steel, so 10k is obviously a lot for me. However the cheapest sterl shipis still a lightyear away, so i will probably never get a steel ship.  
And thats why im considering it, as I really dont feel like waiting 2-3 years for one ship, while im using the dm nearly everyday.  
Thoughts?

In for example, Yamato case, steel camo doesn't offer anything different than a regular premium, Koba or Scorpioid camos. Only K117 camo has a different offer with 50% cmdr xp instead of +20% credits but not sure if it is on sale (i can't see it on my screen as i have it already).

Steel is a very time consuming and most difficult resource to collect. Imo, spending the hard earned steel on a ship is a much better investment than a camo with no extra-ordinary, amazing benefits. This type of camo should have a target player base with at least 50K steel laying around or players who have all the steel ships and still don't know what to do with their remaining thousands of steel.

[OLEUM]
Players
223 posts
20,208 battles

great  idea steel camos ............ until the next line split that is.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,724 posts
10,347 battles

Bought one for my desmo. It looks awesome. 

But I did it because I am not interested in the steel ships I don't have yet. 

Players
1,965 posts
8,411 battles

The steel camo is nice to look at, but in a battle you won't see it from a good angle, so it's rather for the other players, and their unseen feelings bring little enjoyment for you. Even if you're hopelessly away from a steel ship, you can still use the steel to get a coal ship. I did that with about 8000 steel, and I was happy with my choice. 10000 steel is more than the 50% price of a T9 coal ship. I made a calculation earlier and converted everything to equivalent doubloon prices. The steel camo is three times overpriced compared to a regular tier ten camo. Just does not worth it.

Players
2,570 posts
16 hours ago, lovelacebeer said:

(...) and then find some new interesting ship new comes out. (...)

Can't wait for Kursk. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
326 posts
16,360 battles
19 hours ago, mantiscore said:

Thoughts?

I would not buy that. Better save the steel and buy a permacamo for doubloons. If I'm right stalingrad is at 22.5k steel(with coupon) so your only 8.5k away from it. 8.5k steel should be doable in half a year.

And dont forget that there might be events where you could get some steel very easy for example xmas event or the anniversary event (1 SC for each T10).

[SHAD]
Players
3,247 posts
13,349 battles

Using the Odin event to value the steel currency:

250 steel = 1750 doubloons.

1 steel = 7 doubloons

10,000 steel = 70,000 doubloons!

I would pass...

[THESO]
Players
1,352 posts
16,866 battles
4 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Using the Odin event to value the steel currency:

250 steel = 1750 doubloons.

1 steel = 7 doubloons

10,000 steel = 70,000 doubloons!

I would pass...

One should never accept a price as being the true value of something. The Atlanta costs 9300 doubloons in the Armory. The Flint was priced at ~11500 steel. Both are sidegrades. I would say 1 steel = 1 doubloon, maybe a bit more or less. Accepting that parity, the steel camos are equal to 10k doubloons. I think that is excessive, since even the pretty unique camo on Hayate was "only" 8k doubloons.

20 hours ago, mantiscore said:

Thoughts?

Did it really take you 2-3 years to accumulate the 14k steel you have now?

If you got it faster, I would assume you can get a steel ship reasonably fast. I would wait for a steel ship.

You are a member of a decent clan. You guys should be able to earn another 8k steel within the next CB season. Maybe have a couple of Ranked battles in the next season. That's all it takes to get Stalingrad or Bourgogne with a coupon.

Beta Tester
290 posts

If it were ~2500-4000 steel, it would be better. The camo is ok, but not 10k steel ok. Good idea, but badly priced.

[KITEN]
Players
361 posts
15,094 battles

As with everything, massively overpriced and i personally dont even think they look very good.

[SHAD]
Players
3,247 posts
13,349 battles
2 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

One should never accept a price as being the true value of something. The Atlanta costs 9300 doubloons in the Armory. The Flint was priced at ~11500 steel. Both are sidegrades. I would say 1 steel = 1 doubloon, maybe a bit more or less. Accepting that parity, the steel camos are equal to 10k doubloons. I think that is excessive, since even the pretty unique camo on Hayate was "only" 8k doubloons.

Did it really take you 2-3 years to accumulate the 14k steel you have now?

If you got it faster, I would assume you can get a steel ship reasonably fast. I would wait for a steel ship.

You are a member of a decent clan. You guys should be able to earn another 8k steel within the next CB season. Maybe have a couple of Ranked battles in the next season. That's all it takes to get Stalingrad or Bourgogne with a coupon.

You are aware of course that you are doing the same thing?

We can only attribute the value of something by what might be exchanged to acquire it. If we could find a true value it would be somewhere between our figures.

It's worth noting that a tier 10 ship has a nominal doubloon value of 35,000 doubloons, that would of course give a figure closer to yours.

However, we cannot buy steel so the value is hard to come by. We could buy during steel monsters, about 4000 steel for £50 or therabouts and now in the dockyard 250 steel from 1750 doubloons.

Coming up with an actual value is probably futile.