You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Murqy

Time for the island penetrating radar to go

122 comments in this topic

[ATUM]
Players
84 posts
14,025 battles

With all the new radarships and their 12 km range the meta needs to change to keep the game interesting. 3 of the Soviet ships (tier IX-X) parked behind islands in the centre of the maps (on A,B and C cap) pretty much closes the game for all the DDs. Heck, the ships can be undetected and just cycle the radars for their team, and still be way too efficient (because how can you avoid the range of the radar when you cant even see how many radarships that might be hinding and where they hide). In Randoms when the team is uncoordinated it might not be totally unplayable yet (but sometimes almost). When it comes to any form of competitive gameplay though it will make things way too static and by that also toxic and boring. Add a CV to that also then why even bother playing DD at all?

Remove the island-penetration of the radars now. Force the cruisers out to sea to deny caps, it will make the bbs come in closer as a positive side-effect. Hydro should still detect ships behind islands though, it makes sense that acoustics travel around in water and since of the short range, its not that toxic for the meta but rather an interesting aspect.  I for one truly dislike the concept of nose-parked-in ships that has more in common with trench warfare rather than naval battles. Yes, its an arcade game but the ships should still have an incitement to move around a little bit for at least some reason (like radar) .  Good position to snipe from and/or volley shells over an island, or taking a risk to push up to radar a DD that is capping. The cruiser has to choose, and this will also recude the HE-spamming aswell.

It cant be a coincidence that Gearing and Somers (with 16 km torps) is the most picked DDs in CB, and I think its sad that so many ships are left in port because of a their short range of torpedoes that cant seem to find any purpose or use.

• Cool 13
  • Bad 2

[ANV]
Players
616 posts
5,493 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Nope.

Will not happen as explained often enough...

You mean like subs? Or guns bigger than Yammy? 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[NEXT]
Players
33,539 posts
16,921 battles
1 minute ago, Lord0 said:

Feel free to wait for a Blue Moon in x years...

...that will never come.

[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,017 posts
13,202 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Feel free to wait for a Blue Moon

Next one due 31st October 2020 - I can wait.

• Funny 5

[RO-RN]
Players
1,074 posts
15,309 battles

Time for destroyers infinite torpedoes to go!!! How about that if you are asking for realist radar and while you are at it if a BB shell hits you then you go back to port....oh wait you need to purchase the ship again along with upgrades because it got completely destroyed in the battle.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[ATUM]
Players
84 posts
14,025 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Feel free to wait for a Blue Moon in x years...

...that will never come.

But if a majority of players thinks it SHOULD come, it might be a start. So rather, what do you think.

• Bad 1

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
6 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Lol let me guess, on a Russian ship?

[ATUM]
Players
84 posts
14,025 battles
1 minute ago, Animalul2012 said:

Time for destroyers infinite torpedoes to go!!! How about that if you are asking for realist radar and while you are at it if a BB shell hits you then you go back to port....oh wait you need to purchase the ship again along with upgrades because it got completely destroyed in the battle. 

As if the gunbarrels of a Smolensk could withstand the heat of all the constant spamming. And BBs did overpen a lot of ships. just left a empy hole in the the hull. And sure, a torpedolimit might be a solution if the DDs were the class that made the most damage (but its the lowest performing so far).

[NEXT]
Players
33,539 posts
16,921 battles
15 minutes ago, Murqy said:

But if a majority of players thinks it SHOULD come, it might be a start. So rather, what do you think.

The majority is for keeping it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ATUM]
Players
84 posts
14,025 battles
31 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

The majority is for keeping it.

No, I dont think so

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
3,120 posts

You gotta give something, if you remove a feature. While one thing is bad for one player, another finds it useful. With the amount of new stuff thrown in lately I fear a change will probably be for the worst and I'm an optimist person lol :)

• Cool 1

Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

If you want more realistic radar, then fine, but can I therefore ask why it only runs for 15-40 odd seconds & has a cool down, why is not on ships that did actually have it on and why is the range so short?

• Cool 2

[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,017 posts
13,202 battles
18 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

You gotta give something, if you remove a feature.

Why?

Where is that written?

They removed stealth firing and we got nothing in return.

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,017 posts
13,202 battles
1 minute ago, GarrusBrutus said:

20km shimakaze is the solution boys!!!!! 

Only if the problem is "how do I get my winrate lower than WG's behaviour?"

• Funny 5

[LEEUW]
Players
3,406 posts
11,403 battles

But honestly : radar has become so omni present in wows that playing stealth dds has become very difficult. Not impossible, but borderline unenjoyable. The radar infestation together with cv rocket planes make for a deadly cocktail that DDs have to chug game after game after game.

I used to love the stealthy torpedo lolibotes. But now I just feel sorry for whoever tries to play shimikaze against 6 radars and a cv. 

Imo radar is so common that the matchmaker could account for 1) an even distribution of radar ships and 2) a hard cap on radar ships during peak hours. 

• Cool 3

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles

Because of the game engine they can't stop radar or hydro from going through terrain. Until they change over from the BigWorld engine to another much newer engine (like WoT did) the problem will remain.

IIRC in a Q&A on Reddit (and I may be wrong) the way Sub_Oct said that the radar/hydro works is that they use a modification of the "Assured Detection - AD" mechanic (the one that auto-detects at 2km) which also sees through islands. So when they modified the AD mechanic for Radar/Hydro then they are also given that same "unlimited" line of sight through islands, smoke etc that AD gets.

[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,017 posts
13,202 battles
Just now, GarrusBrutus said:

But honestly : radar has become so omni present in wows that playing stealth dds has become very difficult. Not impossible, but borderline unenjoyable. The radar infestation together with cv rocket planes make for a deadly cocktail that DDs have to chug game after game after game.

I used to love the stealthy torpedo lolibotes. But now I just feel sorry for whoever tries to play shimikaze against 6 radars and a cv. 

Imo radar is so common that the matchmaker could account for 1) an even distribution of radar ships and 2) a hard cap on radar ships during peak hours. 

After the Russian Cruiser split I expected to see tons of radar ships at high tiers but I have been quite surprised as it hasn't been too bad in my games so far. Would it be better if the radar ships were evenly distributed? Yeah, I reckon. Do we need a hard cap? Maybe, but I think a soft cap would be better as it provides for more flexibility of the MM at certain times.

What a lot of people fail to realise is that, in many cases, the prevalence of radar is having the opposite effect to that which people assume. I am sure that there are a lot of people who see radar as a good thing because it "sticks it to them pesky DDs" but little do they know that having to play around so many counters just makes the good DD players even better. That's the last thing people want...

• Cool 3

[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
2,017 posts
13,202 battles
Just now, ForlornSailor said:

NO

Don't beat about the bush, mate, spit it out. Say what you mean :)

• Funny 1

Players
3,120 posts
32 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

Why?

Where is that written?

They removed stealth firing and we got nothing in return.

It is considered good manners haha :)

I agree it is rarely followed in this game

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
2 hours ago, Lord0 said:

Contrary to those, they tested radar not penetrating islands, and they didnt like it. So if they would have wanted to, they would have done it, but they said its not gonna happen after they tried it first.

Thats a significant difference.

2 hours ago, Murqy said:

Majority doesnt want subs

majority doesnt want CVs in game

Majority wants BBs to be masterrace (literally, with BBs being the most played class, and they want buffs for years).

I dont think you would like a game, where the majority gets what it wants and throws balance out the window...