Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
scr1337

4/5 of hits (Shatter, overpen, ricochete)

39 comments in this topic

[IUN]
[IUN]
Players
88 posts
7,761 battles

Pls help lads, no matter what ship i use. AP shells always do that like just 1/5 shells do any dmg and its worse than dd does.

imagine u on bb and u make like 1000 damage with one salvo.

U hit armor - plating - superS.

AP is canceled in wows this year ?

And i thought COVID was my only problem this year.

Beta Tester
1,038 posts
16,907 battles
5 minutes ago, scr1337 said:

Yep, for around year already, its thanks to our less skilled player base that wined about BB blaping them with 1 salvo when they sail full broadside, rather than angling and using WASD. Now, the less armor there is on a ship the better and safer it is to sail broadside. Just use HE to burn all, thats the meta now. Oh, thats same people who cried a river for BB AP on DD when they swiched class.

• Funny 2

[AAO]
Clan Test Coordinator
1,597 posts
21,623 battles
19 minutes ago, scr1337 said:

Pls help lads, no matter what ship i use. AP shells always do that like just 1/5 shells do any dmg and its worse than dd does.

AP is still working fine on my ships, so this is a git gud problem.

Maybe post some replays so the experienced players here on the forum can give you advice on how to make AP work for you.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
7 minutes ago, scr1337 said:

Yes, happens ofc, but you can also get 10k,20k,30k... even more. BBs are on average still the highest damage dealing class.

Played some games today too, BBs among those

image.thumb.png.1bde3a26534daf6054b4c58cb01b60c9.png

If we ignore the Massa (which basicly was a game where i couldnt do anything as we just won since the enemies camped in spawn on my flank, and moving up would have caused instant suicide in TX MM with CV and a Slava focusing me).

Even taking that bad Massa game, BBs beat my Cruisers in average damage. If we would exclude the outlier (massa) it would be even more in favour of BBs.

• Cool 3

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,770 posts
23 minutes ago, scr1337 said:

U hit armor - plating - superS.

And i thought COVID was my only problem this year.

Cant say I noticed more shatters or overpens then usually?

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,385 posts
9,814 battles
9 hours ago, scr1337 said:

Yes.

HE - start fires, break AA and Secondary, Don't bounce off, can shatter and still start a fire, deal more damage to destroyers, don't overpen on cruisers,  makes battleships armor look silly and starts fire on carriers deck so planes can't take off.

The choice of superior ammunition type is obvious.

• Cool 4

Alpha Tester
219 posts
1,737 battles

Why does AP even exist? Why bother using ammunition which requires skill when you can aim in general direction in likes of Thunderer without bothering to aim for weakpoints with your HE. 

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,770 posts
38 minutes ago, Toni112007 said:

Why does AP even exist? Why bother using ammunition which requires skill when you can aim in general direction in likes of Thunderer without bothering to aim for weakpoints with your HE. 

Well because a well aimed AP shell can do 10x the damage of her counterpart in some cases? Not to mention that HE damage can be healed quite nicely while cits not so much

• Cool 5

Players
25 posts
632 battles
4 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Well because a well aimed AP shell can do 10x the damage of her counterpart in some cases? Not to mention that HE damage can be healed quite nicely while cits not so much

Against a broadside BB certainly a full load of AP but cruiser...
Sometime I doubt if the gamble worth it, especially on long reload BB against Cruiser (Except those floating citadel)

Between 1 salvo sending the Cruiser back to dock or doing pathetic damage in the mercy of RNGesus

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,770 posts

BBs are not the only class carrying AP shells you know, those cruisers that get overpened all time by any BB shell often take some DD AP nicely in a driveby and can easily die from it, something DD has no chance in hell doing with HE

• Cool 2

Players
25 posts
632 battles
1 minute ago, Yedwy said:

BBs are not the only class carrying AP shells you know, those cruisers that get overpened all time by any BB shell often take some DD AP nicely in a driveby and can easily die from it, something DD has no chance in hell doing with HE

Yeah, I was talking purely in BB situation, I still predominantly load AP in my BB, even with overpen we still do significant damage to DD, but found it could be quite frustrating against Cruiser when RNG troll you 

I always use AP in Cruiser vs Cruiser situation (well, being RN CL I don’t really have a choice)

[GWR]
Players
568 posts
9,741 battles

some games it feels as if AP is just a waste of time, and then you get that glorious moment when a cruiser broadsides at the start of a match and you delete it with the first salvo fired.....it's worth persevering with just for that single moment

[SNUBS]
Players
95 posts

Been having lots of moments lately which have left me scratching my head and muttering what the f... when shooting at flat broadside ships and getting ridiculous overpens, shatters or just nothing at all.

Don't gets nearly as many dev strikes as I used to either, coincidentally.
Perhaps its all this desync, my game does seem seriously jittery lately even with 30ms ping.

Players
408 posts
4,288 battles

AP for BBs work when you manage to create crossfires with a friendly BB. Especially if you play french BB, you are forced to create opportunities.

But for the love of whatever you believe in, can BBs get *at last* that crossfire is the key ? I'm SICK of seeing GKs/FdG/Iowa sniffing my aft while I try to find a sensible position !

Seriously, the next time a BB follows my Alsace even though I switch directions, I will ask for hauling fees and they better have to pay if they don't want a HE volley on their nose. I can't stand this lemming mentality anymore.

• Cool 2

[R3B3L]
Players
1,412 posts
32,651 battles
8 hours ago, fabatka said:

This game is only for HE spammers...

Spoiler

shot-20_06.17_19_13.09-0550.thumb.jpg.0f7aa2eb64f9db057d61baae8f79929c.jpg

which would imply that BBs are HE-spammers. Which is sadly true to a degree.

While i feel like the shatters, bounces and especially overpens are more than before the IFHE-rework, i still find AP the ammo to go for. Sure, i get two 1080-salvoes but then there is the blap.

While HE... makes me burn, I let it burn out and repair it back.

In the end i lost 3k and some AA while the other guy lost a ship.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[U69]
[U69]
Players
210 posts
8 hours ago, fabatka said:

This game is only for HE spammers...

No choice until I get AP torpedoes...

Players
119 posts
8,110 battles
14 hours ago, VIadoCro said:

Reveal hidden contents

shot-20_06.17_19_13.09-0550.thumb.jpg.0f7aa2eb64f9db057d61baae8f79929c.jpg

which would imply that BBs are HE-spammers. Which is sadly true to a degree.

While i feel like the shatters, bounces and especially overpens are more than before the IFHE-rework, i still find AP the ammo to go for. Sure, i get two 1080-salvoes but then there is the blap.

While HE... makes me burn, I let it burn out and repair it back.

In the end i lost 3k and some AA while the other guy lost a ship.

Yes, the lovely RN BB line...

Imagine a game with an MM like this: Thunderer, Conq, 2x Smolensk, 2 Al Nevsky, one CV. And you are sitting in a GK, with 60-70% overpen rate.

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
381 posts
6,686 battles

AP is still very viable in this game you just need to pick your targets or have large enough caliber to not really care. 203mm+ AP salvos are very devastating against broadsides of any kind. Learn overmatch and use proper ammo against proper enemies. Mostly 406mm+ guns are where overmatch is very relevant and at tier 8+ 430mm+ overmatch is king.

Destroyers still take a lot of damage from BB AP if you get multiple hits. If you are sailing a big BB with big AP loaded you might wanna consider shooting something that has actually some armor...

Many cruisers have good AP and good HE. Some cruisers have crap AP but excellent HE. So pick proper ammo for proper targets. Or just spam HE but then you yourself should not complain about too much HE spam meta.

• Cool 1

Players
119 posts
8,110 battles
12 minutes ago, TohtoriP said:

AP is still very viable in this game you just need to pick your targets or have large enough caliber to not really care. 203mm+ AP salvos are very devastating against broadsides of any kind. Learn overmatch and use proper ammo against proper enemies. Mostly 406mm+ guns are where overmatch is very relevant and at tier 8+ 430mm+ overmatch is king.

Destroyers still take a lot of damage from BB AP if you get multiple hits. If you are sailing a big BB with big AP loaded you might wanna consider shooting something that has actually some armor...

Many cruisers have good AP and good HE. Some cruisers have crap AP but excellent HE. So pick proper ammo for proper targets. Or just spam HE but then you yourself should not complain about too much HE spam meta.

I have just sailed with my lovely Fuso when a Nürnberg pops up from an island cover at 8km range with full broadside to me. Lovely 12 shell salvo was fired at him, and the result was an amazing 7 overpen hit. Thank you wargaming. No need to say, but his first HE shell set me on fire.

Or, in a Montana a russian "nevereverexisted" Alexander Nevsky with his full broadside, about 12km, first salvo was 5 overpen, after some twentyX seconds, the second salvo was 6 overpen.

Yep, I have some experience on how and where to aim...

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
381 posts
6,686 battles
22 minutes ago, fabatka said:

I have just sailed with my lovely Fuso when a Nürnberg pops up from an island cover at 8km range with full broadside to me. Lovely 12 shell salvo was fired at him, and the result was an amazing 7 overpen hit.

Fuso fuze arming threshold is 59mm. Nurnberg has a lot of citadel but it is mostly covered by 50mm of armor. I am sorry but your shells will not fuze going through such plate if it fully broadside and not angled at all thus resulting in overpens. However if you use the same Fuso and shoot at Nurnberg broadside in a slight angle your shells will fuze because the plate becomes thicker.

[R3B3L]
Players
1,412 posts
32,651 battles
2 hours ago, fabatka said:

2 Al Nevsky

Which is played correctly when mainly using AP.

This "oh it´s a cruiser so it´s a HE-spammer"- mentality...

Players
119 posts
8,110 battles

12 fire in one game, from cancer smolensk, thunderer, AND Kremlin

What is the big goal of the developers? Spam more HE?  Where no skill needed?

[CELTA]
Players
705 posts
20,709 battles
3 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

Fuso fuze arming threshold is 59mm. Nurnberg has a lot of citadel but it is mostly covered by 50mm of armor. I am sorry but your shells will not fuze going through such plate if it fully broadside and not angled at all thus resulting in overpens. However if you use the same Fuso and shoot at Nurnberg broadside in a slight angle your shells will fuze because the plate becomes thicker.

Then now in a cruiser its better goes full broadside than angling and kitting.

WoWs becomes more and more potato friendly

[CHEFT]
Players
12,664 posts
9,841 battles
3 hours ago, TohtoriP said:

Thats too simplistic, and partially not correct:

Nürnbergs armor layers:

image.thumb.png.c2fa1e88c767c532cf8292088c5e360f.png

image.png.ac7e7408704feec8aa85440be7dab0ba.png

image.png.603cb0fca0cb5fcb55a5ce8a2242c665.png

The outer layers are already 69mm, which is enough for Fuso to arm its shells.(also impact angle has an effect too)

But Nürnberg is rather thin AND has a turtleback. Either way, the shell exists the ship before it detonates, but not inside the citadel. But the shell will arm even if its flat broadside.

8km for a Nürnberg is probably too close, only chance is at the front turret where it has no turtleback. If you are further away, shell will pass through the turtleback and detonate inside the citadel.

Sign in to follow this