You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GraySlayer

Which DD to go for

26 comments in this topic

Players
631 posts
3,865 battles

Hi Guys

I am of a mind to try out some of the gun boat DDs in T10 and leave my beloved IJN for a while. Which would you go for please and why.. I'm looking at

Halland

Smaland

Friesland

Daring

Grozo

Kleber

Which is the most forgiving as new playstyle for me..

[RO-RN]
Players
981 posts
13,958 battles

Halland-it is better played as torpedo boat

Smalland-if you have the free xp then sure why not I recommend watching this before buy it

Frieslnad-NO just NO it has been powercreeped already,kitakaze is a way better gun boat,has no torpedoes,no heal,slow,no HE pen.

Grozovoi-a good ship indeed especially with legendary module and udaloi is great as well.

Daring-great ship again but you will not open water gun boat with this one, at least not all the time.

Kleber-Old khabarovsk except just better,great HE,AP that can citadel minotaur from 11 km and most cruisers up close, 55 knots max speed with speed boost activate it, good rudder shift and amazing range no need to spec Rudder shift mod 2 unlike crapbarovsk, reload booster ready to ambush destroyers and pesky cruisers(especially broadside smolensk with AP) does not eat full Ap penetration from 283 mm guns and above,improved saturation mechanics LOL, 8 km torpedoes they hit hard,fast,great angles on them and good reload and you can even stealth torpedo with a full concealment build. 

GO FOR KLEBER IT STRAIGHT OUT OP, after go for daring forget the rest and remember you can stock up free xp for smaland as well.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,961 posts
18,751 battles

Daring all the way...

Heal Hydro Concealment Guns

Nuff said!

• Cool 2

Players
11 posts
4,852 battles
18 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

Hi Guys

I am of a mind to try out some of the gun boat DDs in T10 and leave my beloved IJN for a while. Which would you go for please and why.. I'm looking at

Halland

Smaland

Friesland

Daring

Grozo

Kleber

6 minutes ago, Animalul2012 said:

Halland-it is better played as torpedo boat

Smalland-if you have the free xp then sure why not I recommend watching this before buy it

Frieslnad-NO just NO it has been powercreeped already,kitakaze is a way better gun boat,has no torpedoes,no heal,slow,no HE pen.

Grozovoi-a good ship indeed especially with legendary module and udaloi is great as well.

Daring-great ship again but you will not open water gun boat with this one, at least not all the time.

Kleber-Old khabarovsk except just better,great HE,AP that can citadel minotaur from 11 km and most cruisers up close, 55 knots max speed with speed boost activate it, good rudder shift and amazing range no need to spec Rudder shift mod 2 unlike crapbarovsk, reload booster ready to ambush destroyers and pesky cruisers(especially broadside smolensk with AP) does not eat full Ap penetration from 283 mm guns and above,improved saturation mechanics LOL, 8 km torpedoes they hit hard,fast,great angles on them and good reload and you can even stealth torpedo with a full concealment build. 

GO FOR KLEBER IT STRAIGHT OUT OP, after go for daring forget the rest and remember you can stock up free xp for smaland as well.

Think you both mean Småland?

[SM0KE]
Players
6,927 posts
15,447 battles
21 minutes ago, GraySlayer said:

Most forgiving is probably one of Daring or Groz: Daring is - IMO - better overall (RN smoke/defensive hydro), but Groz has the merit of being faster (a coal engine boost mod is worthwhile) and having good, for a DD, AA - enough to keep typical players at bay, but not the experts. I find Daring's single fire torps to be regularly useful too. If you have a suitable Ovenchicken in your collection, he makes an excellent Groz captain (although you don't use the super EM) - the boosted SE comes in very handy.

I like the Ikea DDs a lot, especially Halland (don't have Smaland), but they are a very different play style to pretty much all the other DDs; I would suggest playing the line at least from T7 or 8, rather than just going straight for T10 - you'll get a handle on whether you like them before spending a lot of resources.

BTW I wouldn't rate any of those as pure gunboats; I've built all of my captains for dakka, but my Ikeas all get the zoomy torps mod as you need to use the torps a lot to get the most from those ships. The Groz LU focuses the thing heavily towards dakka, but I found I missed the regular reload of the torps too much (but that's probably my own failing, rather than a downside to the mod), so play mine as more of a hybrid-with-good-dakka.

Players
479 posts
6,464 battles

Halland -   <NA>

Smaland -  <NA>

Friesland - One of the best spammers I have ever played. Offers a somewhat relaxed playstyle due to moderate top speed and long smoke duration....which makes contesting caps easier. It also has the best dual-purpose guns and USN cruiser-like AA for a DD 

Daring - A very stealthy gunboat with fast reload and hydro, unlike other nations, British DDs can individually fire torps which can come in handy when you run into a bow tanking BB.  Cons - Low top speed but compensated by sufficient smoke charges that can cover your escape. 

Grozo - <NA>

Kleber - I own the Marceau variant and I got to say, it's not an easy ship to handle. Marceau has floaty Colbert shells but I've heard that Kleber has decent arcs so if you like the hunter playstyle, this is the one for you. The 52~kt top speed is very useful in pursuing enemy CV/DDs.

Most forgiving playstyle  = German DDs do everything well enough. Leberecht Maass is one of my personal favorites from the tech tree. 

• Bad 1

Players
2,797 posts
33,700 battles
1 hour ago, GraySlayer said:

Hi Guys

Halland

Smaland

Friesland

Daring

Grozo

Kleber

They are all good in their own way. All have different style and consumables. But if you are after a real gunboat, ofc it is Kleber. Then, Smaland/Daring and then Grozo, lastly Halland. Friesland is tier 9 and lacks many things but it also has a unique fun experience. You need to keep in mind the huge concealment disadv., no AA and smoke with Kleber but it’s guns are like terminator compared to other dds. It is usually a  choice between Kleber and Khaba when best gun boat comes to mind. Daring and Smaland two superb dds, one with hydro the other radar. Smaland has much better AA but Daring has got seven smokes which makes it the most versatile dd especially in cv games. Grozovoi is an all round monster, having all sorts of consumables including heal except hydro and radar. Halland may only beat Grozo one to one but not others in knife fight although these types of confrontations are totally up to player skill of kiting, angling, juking and shooting simultaneously but my personal experience of  the Strongest gun boats goes in order; 1- Kleber/Khaba 2- Smaland/Daring/Harugumo, 3-Grozo, 4-Halland, 5-Gearing/Yuyeang. I didn’t include Friesland because it lacks heal and takes too much damage too quick once spotted plus it is a lower tier.

About the most forgiving style, I would say Grozovoi and Daring as they both have smoke/heal combo.

Players
75 posts
5,624 battles

The daring and halland seem to be pretty good choices. i would choose one of those

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,975 posts
13,811 battles

In this current meta with crapton of new 12km radars and soon new CV line? 

For me the only existing DD in this game left is Halland. Oystergötland is a strong t9 as well. 

[LUZ1]
Players
1,396 posts
14,498 battles
1 hour ago, GraySlayer said:

Hi Guys

Halland

Smaland

Friesland

Daring

Grozo

Kleber

Why play T10? Go for T8 Lightning. Up tiers well and half the games you get to kill T7 or T6 too :cap_rambo::Smile_trollface:

Players
631 posts
3,865 battles

Some excellent responses thanks.

Just what I was looking for so thanks for taking the time. Perhaps I should go for Daring first as she has smoke and probably not too dissimilar to what I'm used with IJN. Still Fries also has smoke too and Grozo. Hmmm. You've all given me plenty of food for thought for sure. 

Decisions decisions

Ta..

Players
631 posts
3,865 battles
4 minutes ago, II_UMIKAZE said:

Umikaze has the highest rate of fire with a proper configuration. 5 of her guns have a minimal reload time of 2.4 secs. :Smile_smile:

umik.png

I stopped playing her as I found her somewhat lacking..

Umikaze.png

[ALYEN]
Players
2,586 posts
4,354 battles
2 hours ago, GraySlayer said:

Hi Guys

Halland

Smaland

Friesland

Daring

Grozo

Kleber

Friesland is T9 ...

But you forgot Marceau ... I find that ship loads of fun ...

Players
3,203 posts
18,595 battles

Daring is the best tier X dd. Defensive DD hunter, lots of smokes for dealing with CV and on-the-move pew-pew, single launch torps for bowtankers.

Grozo: can play open water gunboat or as a poor mans Daring

Harder to play:

Kleber is likely the most fun as ambusher, can also play open water gunboat. Not very forgiving due to bad stealth and no smoke. Is a CV snack.

Friesland: think kitakaze without torpedoes and 1/4 pen in exchange for hydro and actual AA. Monotonous

Halland: no idea, but the tier 5-8 are bad at carrying games and best FXP'ed due to lackluster torpedoes - and cant shoot down planes even 2 tiers lower.

Smaland: no idea, but if radar YY is anything to go by it offers a unique playstyle.

[ADRIA]
Players
323 posts
11,028 battles

If you want a gunboat, then go either Kleber for burst DPM, or Marceau/Smaland/Friesland for sustained DPM. Daring is awesome but it is more of a generalist. Halland is a torpbote with crazy AA.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,927 posts
15,447 battles
2 hours ago, GraySlayer said:

Fries also has smoke too

She does, but the lack of torps makes you vulnerable to being rushed in smoke etc.

[CAIN]
Players
4,938 posts
20,778 battles

Nobody mentions Poor Gearing...the oldest gun/torp hybrid and yet still strong. 

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
6,927 posts
15,447 battles
8 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

With the LU/zoomy torps build, she's still one of my favourites...

(Edit: I even got a Dreadnought in her!)

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,919 posts
21,659 battles
2 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

no idea, but the tier 5-8 are bad at carrying games and best FXP'ed due to lackluster torpedoes - and cant shoot down planes even 2 tiers lower.

4 tiers lower actually.

Since, you know, Ark Royal actually :etc_swear:s all over Öland with her T4 planes.

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
407 posts
21,156 battles
10 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Awesome concealment with legendary module, 16 km stealth hard hitting torps with good reload, good AA, good guns and great smoke. Still probably the most versatile T10 DD in the game...

• Cool 1

Players
2,797 posts
33,700 battles
37 minutes ago, Max_Kammerer said:

Awesome concealment with legendary module, 16 km stealth hard hitting torps with good reload, good AA, good guns and great smoke. Still probably the most versatile T10 DD in the game...

16,5km., not good reload, not so good AA after rework (incomparable to Halland), not so good guns compared to other gun boats anymore, not versatile at all compared to other dds like Daring and Grozo. You are talking about the Gearing in 2017-2018 not in 2020.

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
407 posts
21,156 battles
11 hours ago, Execute0rder66 said:

16,5km., not good reload, not so good AA after rework (incomparable to Halland), not so good guns compared to other gun boats anymore, not versatile at all compared to other dds like Daring and Grozo. You are talking about the Gearing in 2017-2018 not in 2020.

still more universal ans strong (have all T10 DDs) - Halland has great AA but concealment, speed and manouverability is sub par in comparison with Gearing (I love Halland, but in many situations is Gearing stronger), Grozo torpedoes are weak in comparison with Gearing (10 km, longer reload,  weaker warhead). BUT everything is relative and personal (divison games - solo games - 19 pt captains - builds - legendary modules - amounts of battles with certain ship et cetera). I have in all T10 DDs 19p captains and still I prefer Gearing, Shima and Halland (in CV division)... BUT IT IS PERSONAL and cannot be generalised...