Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
waxx25

What ship to grind next?

6 comments in this topic

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

I am finishing my venezia grind (the signal flags make it stupid fast) and am wondering what next? 

Russian BB, French BB?

Are any of the new DD's worth it? (I dont have european, gun boat japanese or British) 

What do you guys recommend?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
6 minutes ago, waxx25 said:

I am finishing my venezia grind (the signal flags make it stupid fast) and am wondering what next? 

Russian BB, French BB?

Are any of the new DD's worth it? (I dont have european, gun boat japanese or British) 

Eh, all worth it. RU BB and Euro DD I don't have, because not interested, but both seem decently strong lines. British DDs after the Icarus are great, Gun boat IJN has Akizuki and Kitakaze that are great. French BB... my most recent grind to get Richelieu. Frankly, Bretagne is a PoS, but Normandie and Lyon are at least good (not my cup of tea, but certainly strong) and their playstyle, while not incredibly powerful at least is fun and kinda rewarding and has a nice pace.

[SHAD]
Players
3,805 posts
15,184 battles

The nice thing about the Soviet battleships is that every ship in the line is strong.

French battleships are no longer interesting in my opinion.

The gun boat Japanese are also good. I run Shirat with torp reload booster which is a lot of fun. Then from T8-T10 it’s :cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

[SM0KE]
Players
6,977 posts
15,475 battles
1 hour ago, waxx25 said:

British: definitely. IMO, everything from T7 and onwards is a keeper. The dakka is good, with usable (single fire) torps, and the smoke (short lifespan, but lots of them) with defensive hydro is very helpful (with a coal mod the latter seems to run forever). The AA is even vaguely tolerable too, by DD standards anyway. Concealment is generally okay, with Lightning having an almost class-leading 5.5 km with full sneaky build.

Dakka IJN: yes. T7 is, oddly, one of the best torp boats in the game, but after that, they become almost the embodiment of dakka; torps are good enough - one launcher but you get TRB. They're a bit big and clumsy compared to the torp line, but I found them there or thereabouts for concealment for their tiers i.e. not great, but not a disaster. AA is a lot better than the torp line, but - again - only by DD standards.

EU: opinion seems to vary quite a lot here; I like them a lot, but a significant chunk of forumites think they smell. The lack of smoke spoils them for some, but IMO the heal rather makes up for it. You do have to play a bit more carefully though, as you lack the heroic alpha of some lines - the torps are ludicrously fast (yay!), but don't do much damage; you need a lot of hits to do useful damage numbers, as well as making an effort to trigger as much DoT as you can. Guns are pretty decent, if not spectacular, but their main USP is the AA, which (by DD standards) is terrifying - we've even had a few CV drivers complaining about them! Don't get overly relaxed though: a good CV driver will still take you to the cleaners regardless, plus (as always) the real threat from planes is getting spotted. Basically, if you can handle a smokeless DD, the Ikeas are well worth a look, but avoid if you need a weed generator.

I don't know if premiums are a factor, but the RN line gets Cossack, which is excellent, if laughably vulnerable to planes; Dakka IJN get the splendid Harekaze, if you can find one; EU have several premiums, all of which gel well with the silver captains - Orkan is great fun with her radar though (basically a Lightning with a few other tweaks).

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
72 posts
4,953 battles

This depends on the end goal whether it's for randoms or clan wars.  Russian BB is a safe bet for both and there's no Colorado in the progression to make life miserable.  Everything else you mention is a fun line, obviously more limited in CW use, but you have Venezia.  

• Cool 1

[CORNG]
Players
2,139 posts
17,731 battles
1 hour ago, waxx25 said:

All of these lines.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this