You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Teob_

Reassign commander button

25 comments in this topic

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

So with the change to Moskva and all the UI related improvements, I feel this is a good time to discuss something that has been in WoT for a while.

A button to assign the last used commander on a ship. 

Basically you might want to use the same commander on different ships but it can be a pain to look for them in the roster every time you switch ships. You can have the same commander for several gold/special ships plus one silver so it would make sense to just press a button to reassign the last used commander.

What do we think?

• Cool 8

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,364 posts
5,766 battles

All for it, to be honest. But not that bothered by it if it's not high up on WG's priority list.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,753 posts
10,381 battles
9 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

Basically you might want to use the same commander on different ships but it can be a pain to look for them in the roster every time you switch ships.

A pain to look for them in the roster? I know some veterans have like a billion 19 point captains, all specifically specced for a single ship. Then I can understand. But personally I never experienced this "issue". I rarely switch my captains around. And if I have to I just use some of the millions of free captain xp to quickly respec. 

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

I have a bunch of captains but I also have a bunch of ships. And I don't need to change the spec for each ship.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,364 posts
5,766 battles
2 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

I have a bunch of captains but I also have a bunch of ships. And I don't need to change the spec for each ship.

And as a former WoT (technically on hiatus) player myself I can confirm that it can come in very handy indeed.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles
13 minutes ago, lafeel said:

All for it, to be honest. But not that bothered by it if it's not high up on WG's priority list.

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily want them spending a bunch of time on this as there are more important issues but I was just thinking this is the kind of thing that shouldn't be too complicated or take too long, relatively speaking. There isn't a lot of interaction with other stuff and they have already done it as a company in WoT.

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,753 posts
10,381 battles
1 minute ago, _Teob_ said:

but I was just thinking this is the kind of thing that shouldn't be too complicated or take too long, relatively speaking.

... like how we had to wait for five years to finally get "mount all" in the flag mounting screen? :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,364 posts
5,766 battles
3 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

... like how we had to wait for five years to finally get "mount all" in the flag mounting screen? :Smile-_tongue:

To be entirely fair to WG, just because something looks simple it does not neccessarily mean it is..

• Cool 2

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles

I have 180+ captains for 250 ships - anything which makes it easier (even just a "sort by....." function for commanders) would be amazing!

Just checked -

94 on ships

109 in reserve

203 in total

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles

Well I guess that in the larger scheme of things I would like anything to be able to sort captains. Even if just by class of ship they are assigned to or anything.

I feel that with the amount of captain XP we're getting these days, ore and more people will have 19pt captains and obviously we're all getting more ships as well. It's just annoying to keep track of them all.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,364 posts
5,766 battles
6 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

Well I guess that in the larger scheme of things I would like anything to be able to sort captains. Even if just by class of ship they are assigned to or anything.

I feel that with the amount of captain XP we're getting these days, ore and more people will have 19pt captains and obviously we're all getting more ships as well. It's just annoying to keep track of them all.

For what it's worth (essentially nothing, but hey, you're still getting it) you have my vote on this.

Players
1,807 posts
11,973 battles

Until WG implements something like this in maybe 8 years from now, but only if the stars align in a perfect triangle, there is a mod that allows to set one primary commander for a ship (e.g. Des Moines) and when you put him on a different ship (e.g. Alaska) you can click a button and the comander returns to his assigned ship (DM). Only works with one commander not multiple, but better than nothing.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,307 posts
11,684 battles

yes for example, I use kuznetsov on Kremlin and stalingrad.. 
I support this motion! 

Players
3,441 posts
17,233 battles

The OP's request is a good one (and to be fair has been requested before).  I strongly support it.

However, I suspect that it will only be implemented after special captain "Godot" is added to the game.

• Funny 1

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

The OP's request is a good one (and to be fair has been requested before).  I strongly support it.

However, I suspect that it will only be implemented after special captain "Godot" is added to the game.

I didn't know it had been requested before. Thinking about it now, it makes sense that someone else would have thought about it too.

Players
1,313 posts
19,716 battles
13 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

What do we think?

I never had any issues with assigning/switching captains between ships but if you feel it would improve current player experience I'm all for it.

Although, It took them ages to introduce demount all option, so I wouldn't hold my breath it will happen anytime soon.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,420 posts
14,944 battles
15 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

What do we think?

All kinds of yes!

It's spectacularly useful in WOT, assuming one has a reasonable selection of premiums.

The present WOWS system is okay if you just want to whack the highest points captain available in a ship, but is a pain if you're looking to develop one with fewer points as he'll appear way down the list and may take some finding.

Mind you I'm biased as I have far too many premiums, *lots* of captains, and regularly move the latter between the former (and whichever silver ship they're actually assigned to).

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,084 posts
11,417 battles

In WoT I run a mod which brings the crew back as soon as you select the tank.  It'd be neat-o for the commander to come back in that way in WoWS.

[KAKE]
Players
2,775 posts
6,795 battles

Yes please.

As someone who occasionally rotates one captain through multiple ships in one sitting to farm captain exp, this would be intensely useful.

[THESO]
Players
633 posts
12,478 battles
19 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

A pain to look for them in the roster? I know some veterans have like a billion 19 point captains, all specifically specced for a single ship. 

You don't? We have a very similar number of battles, and I seem to have exactly 42 captains with 19 points. 

Keeping track of them is a bit complex. Together with the premium ships, I have 88 ships with a designated 19-point skipper. I have a simple spreadsheet so that I remember who belongs where, and what skills have been assigned and why. 

So it definitely would help me if I could throw in the previously assigned captain with a single click. 

[LEEUW]
Players
2,753 posts
10,381 battles
13 minutes ago, asalonen said:

You don't? We have a very similar number of battles, and I seem to have exactly 42 captains with 19 points. 

Keeping track of them is a bit complex. Together with the premium ships, I have 88 ships with a designated 19-point skipper. I have a simple spreadsheet so that I remember who belongs where, and what skills have been assigned and why. 

So it definitely would help me if I could throw in the previously assigned captain with a single click. 

Yeah i do as well, got to admit! 55 nineteen pointers. Guess i speak from a point of privilege where i dont have to worry about using free captain xp to retrain a captain.

It also comes down to your playstyle: Do you play a lot of different tiers, classes, nations or just stick with a few (f.e. grinding new lines). I do the latter. Just play a few ships alot: either out of love for those specific ships or because im (re)grinding that line.

That said: I cheer on every implementation in this game that makes the life of captains easier! That I dont see something as problematic doesnt mean others share the same opinion.:cap_like:

Players
3,029 posts

I don't have that many 19 pointers but if it is done in a clear manner (and simple) I don't mind. Usually changes take a bit of time to become operationally useful.

Players
537 posts
Am 16.6.2020 um 01:14, _Teob_ sagte:

A button to assign the last used commander on a ship. 

While it's indeed a splendid idea on principle, we could also just skip the 'button' part and automatically assign the last captain used to 'empty' ships.

Players
1,445 posts
16,929 battles
Am 16.6.2020 um 02:38, ThePurpleSmurf sagte:

Until WG implements something like this in maybe 8 years from now, but only if the stars align in a perfect triangle, there is a mod that allows to set one primary commander for a ship (e.g. Des Moines) and when you put him on a different ship (e.g. Alaska) you can click a button and the comander returns to his assigned ship (DM). Only works with one commander not multiple, but better than nothing.

Simple Crew Mod, it's part of the official WG mod pack...but yes, having that one as a build in feature instead of it being a mod would be great...