You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mookle

Coal commander or ship

23 comments in this topic

[VIBES]
Beta Tester
10 posts
4,593 battles

Returning to the game after an absence I’m slowly building up the coal for my first big purchase ie a ship or commander.

A new ship like Thunderer sounds fun and there’s the benefit of a coupon reduction but reading and watching videos the Russian Commander seems so powerful and has multiple ship usage to be a better first buy. 

Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks

[1292]
Players
49 posts
4,159 battles

175k for a commander too much for me. if it was 35k then sure why not. On the other hand I like to try new ships and if that's not your thing go with the commander.

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,445 posts
18,663 battles

You just came back after almost two years of absence. I'd say drop the thoughs of a T10 coal ship. Sell all your silver ships and start over from zero. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,427 posts
14,944 battles
19 minutes ago, Mookle said:

Any advice/thoughts?

My feeling is that the return on the top end coal commanders is much less than on using the coal for a high tier ship; this is due to the improvement over a regular captain being relatively marginal.

The various enhanced captains are worth having, but not 'at all costs'; it's probably worth using coal to get things like one of the Doe or Dunkirk twins (35K), but not - for most people - the various 175K ones.

YMMV of course.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,683 posts
45,154 battles
30 minutes ago, Mookle said:

Returning to the game after an absence I’m slowly building up the coal for my first big purchase ie a ship or commander.

A new ship like Thunderer sounds fun and there’s the benefit of a coupon reduction but reading and watching videos the Russian Commander seems so powerful and has multiple ship usage to be a better first buy. 

Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks

If your fleet is relative small I would never go for the commander, Thunderer is probably more useful. if you have huge numbers of (Russian ships), incl. Premiums Kuznetzov is strong no doubt. If you planning to play competetive even more so. But otherwise ships. Especially if you are F2P or nearly so the coal ships are a good way to get high tier premiums.   

Beta Tester
3,303 posts
3,853 battles

I am currently vacillating between the Thunderer and Kuznetsov, myself. Not that I'm there yet, but I think I will have enough coal stocked up by the end of summer to be able to get either of them, but not both.

The argument for Kuznetsov...

...is that he is good enough to provide a very real tactical advantage even to a barely competent player such as myself. There are other special commanders with comparable bonuses, but activating their special powers typically requires you to get a "Kraken unleashed!" award and sacrifice three black chickens to Tsathoggua (or something of a similar magnitude). Kuznetsov's most distinguishing special power on the other hand - the one that puts out all fires, plugs all leaks, activates a heal consumable (even if you don't have one) and adds 20 percent to the dispersion values of incoming fire - merely requires you to take enough of a beating so that you drop to below 10 percent of your hit points. Even I can do that on a regular basis.

And on top of that, you can specify his skills in such a way that he will do well on basically any Russian battleship or cruiser.

If you look up the expression 'Russian bias' in the National Encyclopaedia, you'll see this face... 

Spoiler

Kuznetsom_protrait.png

...looking back at you.

He is that good. He is that annoying.

The arguments for the Thunderer...

...are that

• she is a drop-down gorgeous, strong (but well balanced) tier X battleship with a fairly unique play style,
  • she is well received and highly thought of in most relevant naval circles, and
  • you can put the more than unique special commander Mighty Jingles on her bridge.

If you look up the expression 'rockstar, brain surgeon, horse thief and noob gamer extraordinaire' in the National Encyclopaedia, you'll see this face...

Spoiler

World of Warships on Twitter: "We are getting reports that the new ...

...looking back at you.

Commander Jingles might not have any special powers, but he's cool with that. Meanwhile, his own inimitable take on the in-game voice-over regularly has me almost falling off my gaming chair for giggles, and that's something I can't say for any other naval commander in history. So for me personally, there's not too much to think about. Unless I get clear indication that Kuznetsov is being pulled from the store, I will go for the Thunderer as my first pick of the two.

I should add that if you don't currently have Commander Mighty Jingles on your roster, I don't know when, or if, you can get hold of him. But the Thunderer is an excellent ship even without him on the bridge, and there are other special British commanders that will serve her well.

Best of luck whatever you choose, Captain @Mookle!

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

Players
600 posts
6,865 battles

I am thinking of getting Kuznetsov myself. Are commanders ever discounted? Are more coal ships coming?

I have the Georgia and the Smolensk, not sure I am interested in the Thunderer - at least not yet. I just got the Vladivostok and it's insanely overpowered. If the rest of them are similar, I may just get Kuznetsov right now.

[SINT]
Players
1,008 posts
22,240 battles

You have still a coupon. Use it to buy an ( expensive) coal ship. Only when you have enough coal after using the coupon ( or saving it for a steel ship discount) and therefore no coupon to use for a 25 % discount do commanders come an interesting choice. This because cmdrs will not be available with a discount ( and therefore will always be 175k).

So: 

Since you came back you have both a coupon to spent before the 26th. To get most use of that coal and the coupon spent it on the most expensive coal ship you like and can afford.  After the 26th you automatically get a new coupon ( whether or not you spent your current one although you will lose it/ still will have only one) so if you have significant coal left you can buy another one with another 25% discount after the 26 th.

You only get a coupon each half year. Use it either on a steel ship ( steel being less easy to get so a discount of 25% has the most value) or if there a no steel purchases to be made, buy the most liked and expensive coal ship you can afford with the discount. Then save up coal for the next half year to repeat. Any extra coal can be spend on cheaper coal ships, crates to finish collections and finally if nothing else remains on cdrs where the Russian one is the only one that really matters. The much cheaper coal cmdrs can be an option in lieu of cheaper coal ships though.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,427 posts
14,944 battles
14 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Are more coal ships coming?

At the very least, the recently removed trio of silver ships will be back at some point (vague recollection says in 6+ months), plus isn't at least one of the multiple new Germans available for coal?

[ZEN]
Players
1,324 posts
14,244 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

At the very least, the recently removed trio of silver ships will be back at some point (vague recollection says in 6+ months), plus isn't at least one of the multiple new Germans available for coal?

The tier 9 German BB that just entered testing is meant to be a coal ship.

• Cool 1

Players
600 posts
6,865 battles
45 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

You mean the Pommern? I don't know... I may wait, but I don't hold out much hope that it'll be special. Plus, I haven't played the German line almost at all. You mean the steel ships that got removed? I am crap at DDs, not sure I'd enjoy them... we'll see.

Players
1,985 posts
8,466 battles

The price for the unique coal commanders is too high, because it was made to deplete the coal reserves of players who get 3 resource containers every day and have all the coal ships already. No way it worth that price for a returning player. I have most of the coal ships and still don't spend coal on captains, except 10000 to finish a collection. Simply a new coal ship is much more fun than a new captain for an existing ship. Also I'd rather buy an 1500 doubloon captain than a 35000 coal one. A T9 coal ship is around 180000 coal, so 5x35000 coal. This ships are sold for 19000 doubloons. So the doubloon price of the captain is much cheaper, and you can also collect doubloons by playing.

[SHAD]
Players
3,299 posts
13,523 battles

Thunderer is not that new anymore and is strong enough that it may get removed in a few months.

Kutneztov is the only commander worth considering but in my opinion is only worth it if you really REALLY like the Kremlin or the upcoming Petro. Or if you have lots of suitable premiums: Lenin, Nikolai, Moskva, Stalingrad and Kronstadt.

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
283 posts
6,940 battles

Of all the [edited] they have ever implemented into the game, Kuznetzov takes the cake.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,427 posts
14,944 battles
1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

You mean the steel ships that got removed?

Aye - they'll be back for coal at some point, apparently. Two DDs (Black and Neustrashimy), and one cruiser (Flint).

I have Flint and Black:

• Flint is essentially Atlanta, with slightly reduced dakka, and no radar; she gains (American) smoke and more useful torps (9.2 km).
  • Black is Feltcher, but with radar (and smoke at the same time) and the notorious 'swimming mines'. She can be glorious in competitive modes, where the radar can be really unpleasant for other DDs to deal with.

I can't comment on Neustrashimy as I don't have her (but will get her when she gets released for coal).

My feeling is that coal is quite hard to get for most people, so hold onto it unless you're sure you'll get good value from the purchase. Coal mods can be worthwhile things to get with coal, but only for premiums/favourite keepers generally..

• Cool 1

[VIBES]
Beta Tester
10 posts
4,593 battles

Plenty of good advice and logic in the responses. Thank you.
Leaning towards a ship but we’ll see as that coupon deadline approaches. I’m up to the Sinop on the Russian line with Tallinn from the event so grinding those lines with Kuznetzov is also appealing. 
Jingles was commissioned during my break which is a shame. 

[PINUT]
Players
110 posts
10,425 battles

Its a good question. If I am thinking about my last coal purchases....

I have smolli and Jean Bart. Second I am sailing far more often than smolli. But I am very plensant to have both. Espacially beacause nowdays they are rare, no more available.

I dont know how much steel u collected actually. I will buy in a few days my first steel ship. I am going to use my cupon for a steel boat, therefore its a good opportunity to get kusnezov. Here are no discounts available.

Players
1,278 posts
9,963 battles

175k coal is a HUGE investment for a captain.

IMO it's only sensible for a hardcore player who already has an extensive selection of Tier 9-10 premium/special ships. And who wants to min-max that build he or she uses in a competitive game mode.

For the rest of us an interesting, credit-earning high-tier premium makes more sense. It's of little consequence if you need to use a suboptimal captain.

• Cool 3

[NWP]
Players
1,407 posts
11,666 battles
1 hour ago, Mookle said:

Plenty of good advice and logic in the responses.

Welcome back,

You have been away for a long time mate. Better hold on to  your coal as @Hanse77SWE suggested.

I wouldn't be surprised if your next thread was about the game having changed a lot.

Regards'

• Cool 1

Players
4,114 posts
5,475 battles

WG should reduce the cost for French and Russian legendary commanders. 175k Coal is a big no for many of us.

Commanders alone that cost nearly as tier 9 Premium ship is a joke.

[SV]
Players
1,227 posts
15,002 battles
12 hours ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Are more coal ships coming?

yes ludendorf they said if im not mistaken.

[OCTO]
Players
72 posts
4,953 battles

I'd go with a ship, unless you have lots.  The coal commanders are gimmicky fun for Randoms, but a ship offers more.  

I would not take the starting over suggestion, you can take 5 years off and still play the game just fine.  If you're worried about rust, run a few co-op games to remember shell travel etc.  

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,239 posts
20 hours ago, Mookle said:

Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks

If you are short on ships take a ship, if you want Kuznetsov you need a ship for him which basically means Kremlin so you need to grid it out since it came out last year...