Foofight

Dispersion on mainturret question

7 comments in this topic

[VION]
Beta Tester
82 posts
5,807 battles

Hi!

I was wondering if the dispersion on the mainturret gets affected by the speed of your ship like the tanks i wot ?

In other words, will you have better accuracy going 5 knots vs 20 knots ? Is there a hidden dispersion mechanism?  

Alpha Tester
467 posts

Standing still while shooting does not grant you any accuracy bonus. You just present yourself as an easy targets for enemy ships.

Is there a hidden dispersion mechanism?  

Assuming there is such a mechanism, we players would probably be the last to know about it. And I prefer speed & agility over perceveived accuracy. Standing still just removes one variable (you current speed) from calculating your firing solution (aka aiming lead), so it might appear to be more accurate.

[VION]
Beta Tester
82 posts
5,807 battles

Standing still while shooting does not grant you any accuracy bonus. You just present yourself as an easy targets for enemy ships.

Assuming there is such a mechanism, we players would probably be the last to know about it. And I prefer speed & agility over perceveived accuracy. Standing still just removes one variable (you current speed) from calculating your firing solution (aka aiming lead), so it might appear to be more accurate.

Hmm..Im not talking about standing still. I was thinking more if I slow down to gain accuracy with BBs, then accelerate after firing, as you can speed up and down between the reloading. But i guess it doesnt mather as for now. Maybe some future update ^^

Beta Tester
138 posts
1,747 battles

I doubt that the speed of your vessel affects dispersion or accuracy. WWII warships (especially larger ones) had fairly sophisticated electromechanical gunnery computers that calculated the azimuth and elevation for the main guns to hit the target. The more advanced of these not only took into account your own speed and heading, pitch and roll as well as the range to the target, the targets speed and the targets heading, but even wind speed and direction, air temperature and even the Coriolis effect and some times even more!

Many of these factors had to be manually estimated and entered, so the final shooting solution would depend on the quality of the data for the different factors. But of all these factors your own speed and heading are the easiest to accurately estimate so having speed affect dispersion makes no sense at all.

Also keep in mind that the speed of the tank affects accuracy/dispersion not because of the speed itself, but because the tank is driving on an uneven surface. Even modern high tech tanks struggle to compensate for the uneven and somewhat unpredictable nature of that movement. A several thousand ton warship has a much smoother and more predictable motion, even in relatively heavy waves, making it far easier to compensate (As a matter of fact, a ship will be more stable in heavy seas at high speed than at low speed or when standing still).

Edited by Darod_Khaan

Beta Tester
1 post
301 battles

I personally, haven't noticed any difference in moving fast or slow when firing at long or short range. Turning does affect your aim, obviously, but aside from firing ahead of your target far enough, and making sure you're firing level with your target's hull, you don't have a lot to consider when shooting. There's even an auto-aim function that kicks in and will track your target automatically!

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,372 battles

Now that we're on the subject of dispersion - is it true that your guns 'zero in' and get increased accuracy after firing a certain amount of times at the same enemy?

Beta Tester
297 posts
598 battles

Now that we're on the subject of dispersion - is it true that your guns 'zero in' and get increased accuracy after firing a certain amount of times at the same enemy?

No.

Sign in to follow this