You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
luokailk

What would be the best choice for upcoming T8 ranked?

38 comments in this topic

Players
8,474 posts
9,386 battles

Enterprise. No Enterprise in port? Shokaku. No Shokaku either? Massachusetts. No Massachusetts? I guess NC will always be an option. But at that point you can play pretty much anything.

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
113 posts
6,236 battles

I think I might give Harekaze a try. In that doesn‘t work: Massa 

[THESO]
Players
825 posts
3,938 battles

Depends on the meta I'd guess, and the meta might change over the course of the ranks. Think I'm gonna run Lightning or Massa to begin with, but if DDs will be few and far between I'm definitely skipping Lightning for Massa.  The majority of CV captains pose no real threat to DDs who use appropriate countermeasures (unpopular opinion, I know), but the mere perception that "CVs will kill all the DDs" might cause there to be few DDs to begin with, so there might be less of a point running Lightning (who is an excellent anti-DD-DD) at that point. At rank 5 + I reckon there will be strong CVs present though, so most likely Massa at that point. On the other hand, if the gameplay becomes very static with long range gunfights, I might not even run Massa since her damage output is terrible at range with that dispersion of hers. If there are very few radar cruisers I might go Lightning regardless (RN smokes help a lot with CVs), but I kind of doubt that since the new Soviet cruisers just got released, so I'm kind of convinced that there will be a lot of Tallinns around.

Definitely not running CVs myself, they are just too boring to play for me.

[-AA-]
Weekend Tester
105 posts
21,073 battles

Any Radar cruiser really, AA is mostly ok.

CV wil be dominant so i don't expect to see many DD besides British ones or the ones with strong hydro/radar

DD players who don't know how to play around CV will yolo and be a burden to the team, same goes for any Solo BB or cruiser who then can easily be blapped or harassed by CV.

Vladiwostok or Lennin ofcourse and dont forget Yolo Tirpitz or Odin for the memes.

Really all depends on what CV you get, Haku and Enterprise are strong, brittish not so much sadly.

Spotting will be key again, since counter play against cv spotting is hard or virtually non existent.

Wil personally start of with a Cossack, Lightning or Lo-Yang, maybe Talinn, Atago or Hipper if i feel brave(suicidal)

Not much of an BB or CV player since thats boring game play imho.

Edited by Brinckie
Typo's since fat vingers :) and added my top picks.
  • Cool 1

Players
8,023 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Brinckie said:

Any Radar cruiser really, AA is mostly ok.

CV wil be dominant so i don't expect to see many DD besides British ones or the ones with strong hydro/radar.

Vladiwostok or Lennin ofcourse and dont forget Yolo Tirpitz or Odin for the memes.

swap out odin for miss monarch.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,626 posts
13,955 battles

If CVs : Enterprise, Shokaku

If BB : Massachusetts, North Carolina

If CA: Tallin, Baltimore

If DD: Lo Yang, Lightning, 

*shrug*

• Cool 1

[TC1S]
Players
2,655 posts
13,972 battles

best CV: Enterprise (Shoka as a decent second choice if you lack Enty)

best BB: Massa, but Enterprise is better

best CA/CL: Radar edin/chappy/balti but Enterprise is better and will AP the living daylights out of you

best DD: none, cause Enterprise does everything better and will blow you out of the water with 36 balansrockets per squad. If you really wanna go that way, lo yang or lightning, but don't come cry afterwards.

I'm sure @El2aZeR will look upon this reply as being too kind, cause it should just have said Enterprise in all four categories.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
8,474 posts
9,386 battles
Just now, Saiyko said:

best CV: Enterprise

best CA/CL: Radar edin/chappy/balti but Enterprise is better and will AP the living daylights out of you

best DD: none, cause Enterprise does everything better and will blow you out of the water with 36 balansrockets per squad. If you really wanna go that way, lo yang or lightning, but don't come cry afterwards.

I'm sure @El2aZeR will look upon this reply as being too kind, cause it should just have said Enterprise in all four categories.

In fairness, not everyone has an Enterprise though, so you may be faced with the option to either play a different CV or play a different ship out of concern playing not-Enterprise might harm your team that could've gotten an Enterprise. Frankly though, I'd still rather play Shokek or Lex over trusting random team mates.

[TC1S]
Players
2,655 posts
13,972 battles
1 minute ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

In fairness, not everyone has an Enterprise though, so you may be faced with the option to either play a different CV or play a different ship out of concern playing not-Enterprise might harm your team that could've gotten an Enterprise. Frankly though, I'd still rather play Shokek or Lex over trusting random team mates.

Shoka and Lex as well are both up for the task, enty is better but sure, if you don't have her and are a competent CV, you can make them work, and it beats trusting the random cv assigned to you by matchmaking.

Lex might even have some advantage, cause she can deal with what I expect to come, the massa-spam, better than Enty or Shoka.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
8,256 posts
4 hours ago, luokailk said:

Previously ranked out guys, please share your opinions:)

Enterprise

[LADA]
Players
756 posts
9,614 battles

I'm going be stylishly unfashionable and grind it out in the Tirpitz.

....must .....torpedo.....something.....

Failing that, maybe Cossack for DD shenanigans - depends how many *insert adjective here* CV players are in the queue. 

Lenin/Vladivostok if I wish to switch off my brain and just headbutt the keyboard to get results.

Cruisers reliant on stealth might not do so well with CVs around. CAs might be worth a look.

Players
2,588 posts

T8? Hmm. Probably something still light, but with a kick. After all it's not Tier 7 anymore.

Imperial IPA?

[SCRUB]
Players
4,112 posts
23,043 battles
4 hours ago, CptBarney said:

swap out odin for miss monarch.

How is your battle count less than 1/20th of your post count? :Smile_amazed:

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
401 posts
7,192 battles

Is Massa in the current meta really much better than a Bismarck for ranked? 406mm surely overmatches stuff but Bismarck gets hydro and turtleback and comparable if not better secondaries. AP bombs will hurt Bismarck but there is a lot other things CV should do anyway that just start by AP bombing a Bismarck.

Nobody likes the Cleveland anymore?

[LUZ1]
Players
1,917 posts
15,588 battles
2 hours ago, Saiyko said:

best CV: Enterprise (Shoka as a decent second choice if you lack Enty)

The interesting thing about DD is you don't need to beat El2aZeR with Enti, but be better than the red DD in dealing with average fly boys.

I think I will take my chances with Lightning :cap_rambo:

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
825 posts
3,938 battles
4 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

The interesting thing about DD is you don't need to beat El2aZeR with Enti, but be better than the red DD in dealing with average fly boys.

I think I will take my chances with Lightning :cap_rambo:

I follow that logic, but if generally few DDs queue up in ranked, you're left with a DD-killing Lightning that has no real job (apart from capping and somewhat spotting) with only 8km torps against those entrenched radar positions. :-/
It's the same conundrum I'm facing with my Jervis as I got to rank 3.
The way up there went fast and smooth, but now the place is crawling with Belfasts and Atlantas (adnd fewer DDs to kill) who won't let me get anywhere close to a cap, and my 7km torps are useless against a well entrenched position.
I really regret not grinding the Shiratsuyu beforehand.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles
52 minutes ago, RAYvenMP said:

next ranked is going to be T8? or we talking about sprint?

It's a sprint according to a note in the patch notes:

image.thumb.png.78c87d696ea60d5907c9f4771eb481e1.png

[SM0KE]
Players
7,545 posts
16,172 battles
6 hours ago, luokailk said:

Previously ranked out guys, please share your opinions:)

I've ranked out in Sprint several times (but never in 'full' ranked), so in that context:

I'll probably be playing DDs as they're the only class where my level of sucking is sufficiently under control to be of much use; I might try other things if the CV prevalence turns out to be intolerably high though.

Which things I'll play will depend a lot on how much of an issue CVs turn out to be; I'll probably wait a day or two after the thing starts to join in though, to give the better CV players a chance to rank out/get way ahead of me.

• Loyang is always worth a punt at T8 (and these days I have a 19 point captain available too, which helps): smoke/hydro, tolerable dakka, and the AA is okayish. Zed is a decent silver alternative, but I have a less good captain for mine.
  • Kidd is a worthwhile pick with CVs around (despite the missing torp launcher): basically a T8 Feltcher and she gets a heal (although that's no longer unique), not to mention the US smoke.
  • Cossack is glorious, *but* you're all kinds of boned if a CV takes an interest, single torp launcher, but fairly fast reload, good dakka and smoke/defensive hydro; Lightning is a good alternative (less bad AA than Cossack, plus extra torp launcher, but only 8 km range on the latter).
  • Harekaze is very good, but I prefer to take something with radar/hydro and/or a heal in general. Splendidly sneaky, and solid guns/torps.
  • Orkan may well be worth a lash, despite the lack of smoke; the heal should come in very useful, plus - of course - she gets radar. Fast 12 km torps (only one launcher though) and similar AA to Lightning. Mighty Secondary too!
  • Oland ought to be worthwhile if there are lots of CVs around (plus, 12 km fast torps should help in a radar-heavy environment); whether I play her or not will depend on whether I can get a good enough captain in place in time.

There's often grumbling about premiums in T8 competitive modes. For DDs, there are some very solid silver options (Lightning, Oland etc.), but I usually do take premiums for the simple reason that I can usually run my best captains on them, which is often not the case for the silver ships of the relevant tier.

Beta Tester
2,261 posts
20,284 battles

Always the same question. Why not reverse, ask for the worst ships and only play those? Have seen it a lot already at tier7, seems to be somewhat of a fashionate thing to do.

So, Monarch for me.

• Funny 1

Players
1,280 posts
10,244 battles

I will wait a week for all you actually good players to rank out.

I'll then bring out my Enterprise. (And that's all I'll play. :Smile_child:)

• Funny 1