Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Sinksalot

Inoperative Secondaries

13 comments in this topic

Players
609 posts
4,037 battles

Hi guys,

I definitely feel this should go in the noob section lol! Anyway, I picked up the German T7 BB Gneisenau and specifically for a secondary build bit of fun BUT, for whatever reason or whatever button I may have inadvertently pressed the ship simply will NOT ENGAGE with it's secondaries.

Now, the only option I can see to enable/disable secondaries is the P button which also enables/disables AA but this was not in effect and is shown on screen with a yellow icon when in effect. Obviously I pressed the P button a few times just to make sure or snap it out of its potential glitch but the ship will still not engage it's secondaries and I played a few coop battles just to make sure it wasn't isolated to one glitchy battle. 

Any ideas? Oh and thanks in advance!

• Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,102 posts
6,576 battles

Stupid question, but needs to be asked:

Did you take the "manual secondaries" skill and forgot to designate a target for the guns to shoot at?

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
2,249 posts
16,102 battles

As long as it's properly toggled with P, they will shoot automatically, unless you've picked the manual secondaries skill.

In which case, you need to press ctrl and then click on a target to designate it.

Keep in mind the secs will only shoot at one target with this skill and cannot shoot on both sides simultaneously, as they normally would without it. 

• Cool 3

Players
609 posts
4,037 battles

That's exactly what's happened, thanks guys.

SSbG1Rx.jpg

I have never used this skill before and was actually unaware a target had to be manually dialed in for it work and even at that, I wouldn't have now what buttons to use to select that target so wouldn't have been able to make it work in any case. I never bothered with the MFC before because as you can see in the screenshot, the skill only gives a 15% dispersion buff to T6 ships or lower and have mainly played T6 ships in Ops up until recently so never felt it was a gain worth taking for 4 skill points compared to other skills. 

But at T7+, as you can see in the screenshot, the gain is rather large at 60% buff to secondaries dispersion so I felt with the long range of the German BB secondaries with the module and signal that this was the sensible choice for a secondary build as a skill before taking the Advanced Firing Training which as you can see, I am only 1 skill point away from unlocking.

My reasoning and logic was that a large increase to secondary accuracy first, would be a lot better than increasing gun range on an already respectably good gun range when that meh dispersion will not really land any shots at longer ranges anyway, and thus making the guns accurate to start with was the better choice and at least have secondaries that are somewhat reliably hitting targets instead of just chucking rocks all over the place lol.

Would you guys say the MFC is a waste of 4 skill points for a secondary build, by having to manually select targets and miss out on them automatically shooting any target and not being able to shoot both sides or would you say that the significant buff to dispersion in combination with long range secondaries actually makes the skill really good?

• Cool 1

Players
609 posts
4,037 battles

Oh and just to add to the topic, the difference with and without this MFC skill for a secondary build reads as such.

Max dispersion of secs at 8km without  - 139m https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PGSB107&modules=12122&upgrades=002000&commander=PCW001&skills=268567553&flags=2&consumables=111&pos=0

Max dispersion of secs at 8km with        - 56m  https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PGSB107&modules=12122&upgrades=002000&commander=PCW001&skills=285344769&flags=2&consumables=111&pos=0

So 56m dispersion on a more limited secondaries that will only shoot one target that must be manually selected OR a somewhat medieval cannon 139m dispersion on automatic secondaries that just work away by themselves on targets either side of the ship? 

• Cool 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,469 posts
20,771 battles
19 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Would you guys say the MFC is a waste of 4 skill points for a secondary build, by having to manually select targets and miss out on them automatically shooting any target and not being able to shoot both sides or would you say that the significant buff to dispersion in combination with long range secondaries actually makes the skill really good?

I depends on playstyle and meta.

But it boils down to this.

a) Do little damage to many tagets.

or

b) Do more damage to a single target.

MFC helps when a DD or thin skin cruiser comes into 2ndary range and you can focus on them. Also if you prefer to play with your "back against the wall" with just one side towards the enemy.

In the current random meta with long range duels MFC is of little value untill late in the game. I use MFC, FP, and AFT on my GK-cap but I'm a co-op main and have no problem with getting into range early.

• Cool 2

Players
609 posts
4,037 battles

I should have clarified it's use. Ya just for fun in Co-op and Ops, nothing too serious. I've had few co-op battles since and I actually really starting to like the MFC skill and along with the torps keeps this ships gameplay more involving and fun, more than making up for it's somewhat shortfall on main guns(just 6 and of the same caliber of it's T6 predecessor). It's really nice when those secondaries come to life and start ripping into DD's and light cruisers but will be much more fun and less risky once I get that range extending skill too.

Great fun and a very different type of BB play style along with the torps, relying less on its main guns than other BB builds and nice to have in port for a bit of change and for some directive missions now and then.  :Smile_Default:

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,469 posts
20,771 battles
10 minutes ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

I should have clarified it's use. Ya just for fun in Co-op and Ops, nothing too serious. I've had few co-op battles since and I actually really starting to like the MFC skill and along with the torps keeps this ships gameplay more involving and fun, more than making up for it's somewhat shortfall on main guns(just 6 and of the same caliber of it's T6 predecessor). It's really nice when those secondaries come to life and start ripping into DD's and light cruisers but will be much more fun and less risky once I get that range extending skill too.

Great fun and a very different type of BB play style along with the torps, relying less on its main guns than other BB builds and nice to have in port for a bit of change and for some directive missions now and then.  :Smile_Default:

Oh yeah! Full 2ndary build in co-op is so much fun.

shot-18_06.23_22_24.42-0245.jpg.a9f331c25277a8df5bca7350530aefc9.jpg

Other times, not so much.

shot-19_12.06_21_53.03-0463.jpg.f6ffd96d72a6cec051d2c482d4a97a63.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
609 posts
4,037 battles
2 hours ago, Hanse77SWE said:

Oh yeah! Full 2ndary build in co-op is so much fun.

shot-18_06.23_22_24.42-0245.jpg.a9f331c25277a8df5bca7350530aefc9.jpg

Other times, not so much.

shot-19_12.06_21_53.03-0463.jpg.f6ffd96d72a6cec051d2c482d4a97a63.jpg

234 secondary strikes lol. Epic

• Cool 1

[FAILS]
Players
805 posts
22,543 battles

People may disagree, but I believe secondary build on Gneisenau is worth it even for randoms, especially after the penetration changes for her 128 mm guns. And of course she absolutely shines in Narai.

• Cool 2

Players
8,474 posts
9,386 battles
On 6/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Yes, it's the best secondary skill at T7+.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:04 PM, Hanse77SWE said:

In the current random meta with long range duels MFC is of little value untill late in the game. I use MFC, FP, and AFT on my GK-cap but I'm a co-op main and have no problem with getting into range early.

In the current random meta, this doesn't mean Manual Secondaries is of little value, but secondaries in general. Certainly, a tank build would get better results most of the time. However, as soon as you take a secondary build, Manual Secondaries is the best skill at higher tiers. Because anyone using secondaries properly should aim for controlled engagements where you focus one target after the other, not yolo pushes into multiple ships, where you damage every ship a bit.

16 hours ago, BruceRKF said:

People may disagree, but I believe secondary build on Gneisenau is worth it even for randoms, especially after the penetration changes for her 128 mm guns. And of course she absolutely shines in Narai.

Gneisenau is worth it and frankly the last German BB where I can recommend running AFT + Manual Secondaries, because it's T7, has insane secondaries for its tier, has synergy with close range combat due to torps and armour and its 32 knots fast, so when top tier, it can dictate the range quite well and close the gap fast.

For Narai, I'd rather use Scharnhorst though. 105s have enough pen to deal with everything except Missouri. main guns are better against most targets too. Premium economy also helps prop up the (sadly nerfed) earnings.

• Cool 2

Players
609 posts
4,037 battles

Spent plenty of time with this Gneis secondary build and have also finally added the Advanced Firing Training to that Captains portfolio(lol) to get that boost to range. I really must say that this BB is EXTREMELY fun to play, especially as a secondary build just for fun while grinding through directive missions and what not.

Tbh I really don't feel this ship is at much of a disadvantage for going with a secondary build. Look at it this way. It's guns were never amazing long range snipers regardless, it's really more of a mid-close range brawler so main gun accuracy at that range is still good enough anyway, those secondaries reload fast, are accurate and are just really good at ripping through DD's and light cruisers, setting BB's on fire and making up for this ships lack of main gun batteries PLUS and very importantly, this BB has REALLY usable torpedoes which when combined with it's decent armor and repair draining fire starting secondaries can just flatten even really strong higher tier BB's.

So I must say that this ship is just great fun in this setup and I would highly recommend that players that don't have this ship get it. You have long range destructive secondaries with this build, really punchy main guns for mid and close range fighting to back them up plus the cherry on the top is having torpedoes that just stop a fight dead immediately when rng and over pens, non pens keep a fight going longer than it should lol. A really involving and active playstyle for a BB with 3 sets of weapons to apply especially with manually having to select a target in order for those secondaries to fire which makes it seem almost like firing them yourself... it's also a pretty fast and agile BB, armor holds up well so all in all it's a very fun and active play style. I'm only sorry I didn't get it sooner and go with this build. :Smile_honoring:

8km with signal and skills. Currently power grinding one final skill which just needs one skill point, Preventative Maintenance and I will feel this ship will then be about as solid as it can be since currently losing the torpedo tubes is not rare and I'd like that 30% less likelihood of it happening since those torps are crucial and very destructive obviously.

A6pSgsC.jpg

MonQyfN.jpg

Sign in to follow this