Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
howardxu_23

is shikishma 51cm nippon boomsticks...too loud?

11 comments in this topic

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,080 battles

while I'm in the club of not having guns bigger then 46cm, but anyway my clan mates has been saying that they can hear the thing firing well over 19km away, and I'm pretty sure that you cannot hear 3x2 510s from that distance.
I have attached it a file of it, you may want to turn the volume all the way up to even hear it

shikiboom.zip

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,080 battles

rather then loudness, the sound travels a very long distance
to make it herd from that distance, the souce decibel needs to be as loud as a nuke going off.

hence I assumed it to be a bug

Players
1,280 posts
10,201 battles

You absolutely would hear them 19 km away, and much further.

I live in Helsinki, Finland. Until relatively recently the coastal artillery had some 305 mm placements (imperial Russian era BB guns) on the islands off the coast. You could hear those over much of the city.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
32,413 posts
16,212 battles
19 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

while I'm in the club of not having guns bigger then 46cm, but anyway my clan mates has been saying that they can hear the thing firing well over 19km away, and I'm pretty sure that you cannot hear 3x2 510s from that distance.
I have attached it a file of it, you may want to turn the volume all the way up to even hear it

shikiboom.zip

You can hear a sound that far, when everything is quite around you.

With the right wind direction, one should be able to hear that on a ship, even if barely.

• Cool 2

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,489 posts
11,306 battles

While I understand that's this is a bug... it's still so FREAKING AWESOME!

When I first heard it I was like - "It's like the thunder of God". If WG left it like that I would get Shiki just for that boom, as it's majestic as all hell.

[SM0KE]
Players
7,506 posts
16,028 battles
3 hours ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

If it's too loud.... :Smile_trollface:

<solemn voice in the manner of archbishop or similar> Verily, my son, thou art too old...

Omnes: amen!

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
687 posts
13,512 battles

Artillery can be heard even hundreds of kilometers, although it might be more of the sound of landing shells. WW1 battles in France could be easily heard across the English channel.

We're discussing a computer game, however... The first time I saw a Shikishima in this patch, and I heard the thunder from its guns, it gave me giggles! As long as WG doesn't overdo it, this kind of tasteful gimmicks are great!

• Cool 2

Players
7,575 posts
34 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

I think we can all agree its the yamato that is too quiet.

Perhaps, then we can call the Yamato a stealth battleship! :Smile_Default:

But yes, when you think of it, there is an explosion when the gun is fired, same as there is huge explosion when a shell or a bomb detonates on impact. When the guns of Kronstadt were firing, the sound could be heard on the opposing coastline. Likewise, I remember my father telling me how the nearby town was bombed during the war, they could hear that over 40 kilometers away in the countryside. The sound of field artillery, likewise, they could hear it firing over 50 kilometers away (peace time gunnery training, they did not live near the front lines).

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this