You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SpectreUK

MM is NOT broken

46 comments in this topic

[5ALTY]
Alpha Tester
21 posts
1,778 battles

Will the people that dont understand about the MM please read this 

ITS NOT BROKEN it just needs work 

due to the limited players online at any one time .... and this being the Closed Beta TEST ... (see what i did with the test to highlight it)

The matchmaking will not be perfect all of the time so please stop going on about it .... your stats don't really matter because when the game goes live you WILL start from Zero anyway 

Edited by SpectreUK
  • Cool 3

Beta Tester
137 posts
1 battles

ITS NOT BROKEN

due to the limited players online at any one time .... and this being the Closed Beta TEST ... (see what i did with the test to highlight it)

The matchmaking will not be perfect all of the time so please stop going on about it .... your stats don't really matter because when the game goes live you WILL start from Zero anyway

Just so we understand. 

You're saying that the MM will work perfectly when live and that you're so assured of this that you don't want further feedback.

Is that what you're saying, and if so, are you representing the developers?

The reason I ask is very simple.  This is CBT and I don't believe that players are unaware.  The whole POINT to CBT is to encourage players to give feedback and allow enhancements and improvements to the game, including fixes.  By giving feedback, it's to make the developers aware and give them the opportunity to resolve.

[MIMI]
Beta Tester
723 posts
2,947 battles

At pretty much all times of day I get into battles within at the most one minute, usually instantly. So that excuse might have been valid once, but I doubt it is any more.

And it really cannot be so hard to force the MM to force an equal number of ships/certain ship types and allowing it a bit more leeway with the tiers. Which is exactly what is broken, additional ships are far more powerful than having higher tiers. That worked in WoT because the tier differences were much more profound and you usually cannot hide yourself in the cap circles well/long enough to cap through. But it doesn't work here where quite a few lower tier ships are just as good or even better than higher tier ones, and there are so many battles where capping is all important and then having more hulls and especially more DDs is totally decisive.

Edited by Kruzenstern

Beta Tester
170 posts
3,678 battles

Well, no, it still needs a lot of tweaking, I am pretty sure they have some ideas, but feedback is always good, as long as it is constructive. It might not be on top of their to do list, but they do get to save the data for later and yes people needs to have some patience, very few things can be fixed overnight.

Weekend Tester
85 posts
6 battles

ITS NOT BROKEN

I swear I'll spam you with screenshots of the matchmaker showing 170 ships within my MM "range" and then ending up in a match where there are 2-3 ships less in my team, and the tiop tiers are at least 3 tier higher then me. I played 4 games yesterday, 3 of them was like this, the 4th was with my Bogue where I couldn't di krap , cause I had no other CV against me, and was on fighters deck ... TEST or NO TEST , when there are 3-4 k players online in the evening, don't tell me the MM is correct andit doesn't makes these games on purpose.
Edited by Oldum
  • Cool 5

[5ALTY]
Alpha Tester
21 posts
1,778 battles

Now i know why i dont post on the forums that much 

Yes i know it needs feedback 

Yes i know its not perfect 

Yes i know it needs work 

Yes i know the developers are intelligent people who have been doing this for a long time 

No i dont represent the developers 

Yes i just want people to stop crying about it ... its a test with limited player ... it wont be perfect 

• Cool 3

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,478 posts
8,735 battles

ITS NOT BROKEN

can you please show us where wg have said mm is perfectly fine as it is and will work perfectly once the game goes open beta?

if not don't spout the mm is fine when you have no evidence it is

• Cool 1

[5ALTY]
Alpha Tester
21 posts
1,778 battles

can you please show us where wg have said mm is perfectly fine as it is and will work perfectly once the game goes open beta?

if not don't spout the mm is fine when you have no evidence it is

At no point have i said it was fine 

Alpha Tester
176 posts
1,530 battles

I'm sorry, but when there's 8k players on the server, with hundreds in my matchmaking range there really is no excuse.

Game after game with horribly mismatched teams. 6 Tier 6 ships vs 1 Tier 6 is never going to be fair.

Oldum is spot on.

Yes i know it needs work 

Yes i know the developers are intelligent people who have been doing this for a long time 

Yes i just want people to stop crying about it ... its a test with limited player ... it wont be perfect 

We all know that it needs work and will take time, and we accept that. Same as the AP/HE/torp issues.

But it is certainly not "working as intended". At least I hope not.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,478 posts
8,735 battles

At no point have i said it was fine

nope you stated it is not broken which accounts to it is fine and working as intended

[5ALTY]
Alpha Tester
21 posts
1,778 battles

nope you stated it is not broken which accounts to it is fine and working as intended

Try reading the rest of what i typed 

Beta Tester
137 posts
1 battles

Yes i know it needs work

With all due respect, you are therefore undermining the the point to CBT with this thread.

I'll say it again, CBT is here to give the developers feedback on what is and isn't working.   If we stop doing that, they might aswell stop the CBT.

Don't get me wrong, if you DID represent the developers, and they were convinced that there was no issue with MM, and that is was only doing weird things because of the player numbers, then I'd accept that.  As is, you don't, and this thread is frankly counter to the point of why we're here.

So please, don't open another thread like this.

Edited by Mr_Sukebe

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
585 posts
4,395 battles

I'm sorry, but when there's 8k players on the server, with hundreds in my matchmaking range there really is no excuse.

Game after game with horribly mismatched teams. 6 Tier 6 ships vs 1 Tier 6 is never going to be fair.

Even at those time the tier 9-10 bracket had 5-10 people in it .... so lower tier ships get yanked out of their que's to fill a high tier game when the MM decides they have waited long enough. This messes up they MM (if I understand the WG MM system correctly)

The MM is intended to work well and fast with big numbers. The moment a bracket doesn't have enough numbers in the que to fill a game you see it break down and give strange games. We currently don't have the numbers yet to get a propperly working MM

The MM is one of the few bit of the game that really doesn't need testing. WG has one of the best MM systems I've seen, they have been working on it and tweaking it for years. Once the have the WoWs tier balance right, and enough numbers to fill the que's it'll work fine.

[5ALTY]
Alpha Tester
21 posts
1,778 battles

With all due respect, you are therefore undermining the the point to CBT with this thread.

I'll say it again, CBT is here to give the developers feedback on what is and isn't working.   If we stop doing that, they might aswell stop the CBT.

Don't get me wrong, if you DID represent the developers, and they were convinced that there was no issue with MM, and that is was only doing weird things because of the player numbers, then I'd accept that.  As is, you don't, and this thread is frankly counter to the point of why we're here.

So please, don't open another thread like this.

i give up ... forget i said anything .... always people on here who just have to prove you wrong and cannot have a discussion about things .... how can i delete this post ... it really wasn't worth it 

Beta Tester
137 posts
1 battles

i give up ... forget i said anything .... always people on here who just have to prove you wrong and cannot have a discussion about things .... how can i delete this post ... it really wasn't worth it

You really think I care about proving you wrong?  Hardly.  I've never met you for one thing.

What I DO care about is the CBT and trying to help WG.  So far, I've loved playing WoWs, and only want to see it getting better.  It's only going to do that with constructive criticism.

So please, don't take it as an insult, just not the way I think on this kind of issue.  Hopefully we're all here to enjoy and continue to improve the game.

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,393 posts
3,350 battles

I tried opening a post yesterday that I hoped would be a constructive topic on ways to possibly change or better how MM works (http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/13646-matchmaker-other-ways-to-do-it/). The most obvious ones, like enough ships on each side and same tier range will be fixed eventually and devs are fully aware of of it.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
3,403 posts
20,144 battles

M1BaIvE.jpg

But being a little sensible I would say that 'MM' is not so much as broken but a little bit fubarred . It is not the wait (instant entry to battles over the weekend) but the make up of the teams. 80% BB teams were a complete drag (parading the map borders like guards) especially as all I wanted to do is to have some fun in CA's (and a couple in DD's). Yup, more work needed in the MM department, so you MM devs lay off the vodka and work some magic into the MM......

• Cool 4

[POP]
Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,900 battles

But being a little sensible I would say that 'MM' is not so much as broken but a little bit fubarred . It is not the wait (instant entry to battles over the weekend) but the make up of the teams. 80% BB teams were a complete drag (parading the map borders like guards) especially as all I wanted to do is to have some fun in CA's (and a couple in DD's). Yup, more work needed in the MM department, so you MM devs lay off the vodka and work some magic into the MM......

So now MM is bad because it tries to balance the ship types? Reason you get in immediately with CA or DD is that everyone wants to try the new BB toys, but MM tries to balance the teams.

So poor little MM has to shove every possible CA/DD into the battles and then it tries to balance the rest with BB's (and shove in couple of CV's if available).

Prior to this patch that introduced new BB's, there were no such issues.

After some time when people goes back to the normal, MM will work just fine.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
3,403 posts
20,144 battles

So now MM is bad because it tries to balance the ship types? Reason you get in immediately with CA or DD is that everyone wants to try the new BB toys, but MM tries to balance the teams.

So poor little MM has to shove every possible CA/DD into the battles and then it tries to balance the rest with BB's (and shove in couple of CV's if available).

Prior to this patch that introduced new BB's, there were no such issues.

After some time when people goes back to the normal, MM will work just fine.

I am perfectly aware of why there is an imbalance all I was trying to say is that it is a shame that the 'balance' was not weighted so that all classes were equally represented. Sigh, I best leave humour indoors as it is wasted on some........

[5ALTY]
Alpha Tester
21 posts
1,778 battles

M1BaIvE.jpg

exactly what i was saying :)

Beta Tester
105 posts
389 battles

Ok a lot of the problem with MM at the moment is the number of people playing the US BBs.  However there were problems before the patch.  Tiers that didn't match up right, with too big a swing.  I've been in more than one battle where I was the only BB against 3 enemy BBs, or where one side has 2 high tier CV the other having none.  Which doesn't include the number of completely unequal side match's I've been in.  The MM does need looking at along with a number of other things in the game.  Which is why this is a CBT so WG can find and hopefully fix these problems now.

Weekend Tester
85 posts
6 battles

Yes i know it needs work 

Don't get me wrong, it's totally fine and understandable that it's not final, and probably one of the reasons why devs changed the MM screen was to save themselves from this, till they figure things out, but I still don't see any reasons why mathces are put together like they are about 70% of the times. The old MM screen highlighted the "tier spread" of what I should expect, and that was 1 tier above and 1 tier bellow my ships tier. That is all fine, but it's not working as it shows, cause - as I've said before - when there are 170 players in queue for my tier spread , even if 60% of it is BBs, the game could make a match where I don't have to spend my time running away like hell in a Pensacola, cause if I go in a straight line trying to aim, a Baltimore, or as it happened yesterday, a Des Moines was shooting my engine and turrets to bits by the time I get into effective range and was able to aim at it.  Also, since (again from personal experience) evading - zig zag manouvers - and aiming doesn't really work too well, cause the turrets couldn't keep up with the turning of the ship, I couldn't even do much cause I was out-ranged by everything, except DDs.

I know it's not final, but fe , for the profit side, it just made me rethink my idea of buying pre-order items at all , or at least untill the next patch ...

Beta Tester
295 posts
65 battles

Its closed Beta, they are testing the balance, including the MM which works well in many cases, in some, especially CV balance and tier X per team, its not.  The more people point out issues today and now the less chance we will have issues upon release.  However there is a difference between constructive advice/details sent to the devs and rage posting which happens a lot, usually after a bad loss.

Edited by _SeamanStaines_

Alpha Tester
560 posts
999 battles

Well, since you are also an Alpha, you should know, how the Matchmaking was, when we where in that state. What did change as of now, where we have an amound thats 9-12 times higher? The waiting time went down and you ain´t getting 1 vs 1 and so on battles, thats about it. If the Matchmaking does not properly work with 4-7k Players in, then it is in utter need of tweaking, and i am not talking about the Tier 10 players here, its happing all over the Tiers and thats what should not happen with a Playerbase thats far greater then for example WoWp, where the system did a better job with 1k Players in it
Edited by Smi2k