Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Sukebe

Dealing with destroyers

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
137 posts
1 battles

Curious about general views on this.

Played a game yesterday in my Cleveland where I was bottom tier.  Enemy had 4 destroyers, us 1.  Start of the game and we had a player in a fellow cruiser saying that it was game lost due to their higher number of destroyers.  Left me really confused.

Maybe I shouldn't have been, as said player promptly sailed directly towards an obvious place for an enemy destoyer ambush and walked into three of them all firing torps.  He died within the first 3 mins of the game.

So what's everyone's view here on how to deal with them?

Personally, if I'm in say a cruiser, I find that steaming away or vaguely parallel to them, whilst at range stops me getting hit by torps, and allows me to massively out DPM them with guns, i.e. playing to the strength of my ship.  In that specific game, I killed two of their destroyers and heavily damaged the third.

Thoughts?

• Cool 1

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,411 posts
8,580 battles

Umm, don't sail into an obvious ambush?

I'm sorry, what is there more to say.

Edited by WhiskeyWolf

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
441 posts
3,816 battles

Maybe I shouldn't have been, as said player promptly sailed directly towards an obvious place for an enemy destoyer ambush and walked into three of them all firing torps.  He died within the first 3 mins of the game.

Yup, that sounds like an experienced doomsayer :P

Best way to deal with them is sending a Cleveland at them to be honest :playing: or your own dd. Having a brain and avoiding the obvious ambushes helps a great deal. Usually it's a case of dodge the torps, then kill them before they reload.

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,771 battles

If the players in the 4 DD setup know how to play DDs properly, it is an really nice advantage for the team, because the DDs can do serious amounts of damge and spotting for the team without getting caught. When the DDs are solo yolo rambos, or in any other way not relly good in playing DDs, it doesn't matter.

Beta Tester
137 posts
1 battles

If the players in the 4 DD setup know how to play DDs properly, it is an really nice advantage for the team, because the DDs can do serious amounts of damge and spotting for the team without getting caught. When the DDs are solo yolo rambos, or in any other way not relly good in playing DDs, it doesn't matter.

Being fair, three of them were working together.  They were spewing torps like no tomorrow in the area they were controlling.

Was nice to give them a good kicking by pulling them out.

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,771 battles

Maybe I am a bit biased playing IJN DDs, but 'being pulled out' is bad play from the DDs, engage, torp, run, while staying invisible all the time...

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
75 posts
3,139 battles

As a CA, if they're on their own and within 9km attacking, I turn and sail directly towards them.

Sometimes gets you sunk but allows secondary battery to fire and makes main battery easier.

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

Sailing into an area controlled by 3 DDs, specially if it is an strait, it's a gutsy matter. But not imposible. You are a CA, you can take a torp or 2 and while they are reloading they can do nothing more than retreat to not be seen if they haven't got smoke.

First and foremost, ask your CV to send some fighters or dive bombers your way to patrol the area where they are. Even if they aren't spotted, planes will spot their torps with enough time to you to dodge then. Pop up your scout plane too.

Sail unpredictably: that means, if you are heading for a cap and you've got 2 or 3 aproaches, take the most obvious one and let then think you are not hunting then. Then, change to the other aproach. In short, deceive then in order to make then fail their torps.

Once you see an enemy DD he's in trouble because there is no better CA to deal with DDs than Cleveland. Load HE and they'll pop.

Nevertheless, it's a dangerous bussiness because you win by being smarter and more patient than the DD player. Just try to not do what I described here unless it is absolutely neccesary for your team: either defending the cap or making a breakthrough in the enemy defence line.

[WALLY]
Alpha Tester
21 posts
1,563 battles

If you hit them with your shells they die the same as any other ship only quicker .... like the op says play smart 

Alpha Tester
797 posts

Maybe I shouldn't have been, as said player promptly sailed directly towards an obvious place for an enemy destoyer ambush and walked into three of them all firing torps. 

Is the rock-paper-scissor of this game: Torpedo beats idiot, and BB beats the rest.
  • Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,654 battles

A DD will eventually and almost certainly be spotted. Based on this information, you can guesstimate her heading and where she is heading next. WIth this information, you can in some scenarios ambush the DD instead. Once you have him within visual range, try to set her on fire (less stealth) or gib her with a well-placed AP salvo- After that, the DD can't really outrun you unless she uses smoke.

As a DD captain myself, there are two things that are really dangerous for me:

1. Being caught without smokescreen by a chasing cruiser. I can't outrun it, and my only hope is to launch torps at it, meaning the distance between us will be further reduced

2. BB secondaries surprise, 'nuff said

Alpha Tester
333 posts
1,327 battles

Just keep your distance and hammer them with your cannons, they dont last long.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this