Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Shagulon

Experience and ship trees

14 comments in this topic

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,211 battles

How exactly does this work?

I know I get scores at the end of a match.

One is credits used to purchase ships and ship upgrades.

One is experience. Is this for your captain of for your ship? Or Both? I have two totals for experience in the after match summary, one much higher than the other. What are they both?

Once I get the next ship and fully upgrade the old ship, that ship starts to earn free experience. This is usable to progress in any tech tree branch, right?

If I play a match with a ship that isn't my highest tier in a tree, how does that experience count towards the tree I'm in? I ask because the numbers don't seem to add up after a match, and the progress I make towards that tier VIII ship I want....

This should really be in some kind of manual right?

*goes off to try and find a manual hidden in my directory.

Thanks for help in advance :)

Alpha Tester
1,427 posts
558 battles

The ship's experience allows you to research modules for that ship or the next ship in the line, if you've researched the required modules.  Ship and captain xp both go up at the end of a match.  Free xp is the same as ship xp, but usable with any researched ship.

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,211 battles

That just repeated the information I already know and mentioned in my question...

5zFfrQE.jpg

Edited by Shagulon

[REKT]
Beta Tester
318 posts
4,041 battles

No. The silver star is the xp you get for ship and captain. They both get the same xp.

That xp you can only use on that ship.

The yellow star is free xp. That is xp you can freely use on any ship of module you like.

Alpha Tester
1,427 posts
558 battles

Yeah, you know how, in the main harbour menu, silver lined stars are normal xp and the gold lined stars are free xp?  Surprisingly, that's the same in the rewards screen.

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,211 battles

Thx for the responses guys, still that doesn't make sense to me.

My free xp is universal, I get that. But for the tier VIII IJN DD, I need 50000 credits. I have about 10000 free xp, but I'm only 5000XP off the tier VIII target. So where has the other 40000XP come from. Is that the normal silver star XP (middle figure on the screenshot)?

When I'm playing lower tier ships in that ships tech tree (e.g. a tier II IJN DD), does that ship XP count towards my tier VIII DD of the same tech tree? I know the free XP does, and that the captain gets the ship XP, but the same ship XP doesn't seem to count towards progression to the tier VIII IJN DD. Do I have to earn all that XP from the ship below it?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

When you play games in a ship, it gives you XP, which you can use to research (not buy) upgrades on that ship and research the next ship in the line. Free XP can be used on anything.

To research the T8 IJN DD you would need to play enough matches to research all hull upgrades on T7 and about 50k XP to research the next ship - or you shell out 50k+hull upgrades in free XP.

Playing lower tier ships will give you a little free XP which can be used anywhere, but otherwise will not contribute to the line's research if the next ship is researched.

XP is bound to specific ships, not to the line.

So where has the other 40000XP come from. Is that the normal silver star XP (middle figure on the screenshot)?

Yes, because ships are researched from the XP pool of the preceding ship topped up with free XP if necessary.

Edited by fnord_disc

Beta Tester
1,989 posts
4,399 battles

Thx for the responses guys, still that doesn't make sense to me.

My free xp is universal, I get that. But for the tier VIII IJN DD, I need 50000 credits. I have about 10000 free xp, but I'm only 5000XP off the tier VIII target. So where has the other 40000XP come from. Is that the normal silver star XP (middle figure on the screenshot)?

When I'm playing lower tier ships in that ships tech tree (e.g. a tier II IJN DD), does that ship XP count towards my tier VIII DD of the same tech tree? I know the free XP does, and that the captain gets the ship XP, but the same ship XP doesn't seem to count towards progression to the tier VIII IJN DD. Do I have to earn all that XP from the ship below it?

You need 50.000 XP (regular xp earned on this ship plus free xp that can be earned on any ship) on the tier 7 DD to research the tier 8 DD. So yes, that is the XP you earned from the middle figure in the screenshot with your Hatsuharu. XP (excluding free XP) earned on any other ship will not count towards your research of the tier 8 Fubuki

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,771 battles

shot-15.05.18_10.53.43-0520_01.jpg

As you can see on this example screenshot:

Ship XP is the large number of XP you earn each battle, with them you can upgrade your ship and research the next ship in the line (here I can research the Fubuki for 52k XP).

Free XP is the smaller amount of XP you earn each battle (5% of the ship XP) and is available for everything to fill in gaps or research ship upgrades without having sufficient ship XP. It is accumulated in a global pool available for every ship.

The captain earns the same amount of XP per battle as the ship he is currently on. However, you cannot use free XP to increase captains XP.

You do not earn any XP towards a tech tree, but only for a single ship (+ spare free XP that can be used globally).

You can see very nicely on the left side in the modules tap the total XP available on a selected ship + the free XP.

Hope that clarifies everything.

shot-15.05.18_10.53.43-0520_01.jpg

Edited by Nethraniel

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,211 battles

Ah so all the XP comes from the proceeding ship in the tech line, minus the free XP. I see. Grrr, that has wasted me a lot of time. I thought it was per tech branch.

Oh well good job it was fun playing those lower tier games :D

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,771 battles

In principle you can play low tiers and gather free XP to go directly for high tier ships. It will take a lot of time though. 

Alpha Tester
76 posts
315 battles

Well, after your T2 ship has reached "elite" status, you earn "normal" exp and a small amount of free exp. This "normal" exp can be transfered to the "free exp" pool. So, basically your T2 ship can help you with grind to T10 - more with transfered exp and less without. BUT... Transfer will cost you money - real money.

Edited by Long_One

Sign in to follow this