Sign in to follow this  
Furius_Marius

The allmighty IBUKI in 2020

25 comments in this topic

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

Well, after a long long grind. I finally arrive to the last step before the ZAO. And I already played almost 20 battles with it. THE ALLMIGHTY IBUKI

The ship is great, so versatile, so overpowered... Just kidding.

Well I made the full Concealment-Range build. I watched videos, to play shooting while running away, going dark, shooting torps while escaping, trying to stay far away, cause if you are near anything you die. Shooting under cover when is possible...

I try to run away dodging shells and I dodge a lot. The IJN BBs and American BBs are mostly easy to avoid(slow shells). Russian, French AP and Brit HE is another thing, But I still dodge a lot. But that doesn't matter, cause the moment ONE SHELL lands on your stern, or your bow, you side, doesn't matter u get citadeled. Because the ship is made of citadel.  And I'm not kidding almost all battles the first shell that hits its a citadel. Specially from Russian BBs. From 17km,18km,19km... Another ships citadel me from even further, sooner or later someone will hit. You can dodge all u want that one shell is enough. Yes! u got heals. But that is useless when its citadel damage. As soon as you shoot all enemies they AIM at me like crazy. Then i need to go dark.  In general almost all cruisers Outgun me, with fire rate, or better ballistics or better armor. The new russian heavy cruisers destroy  Ibuki as soon you are in range. And Ibuki is not specially good hunting DDs, cause the ballistics suck, slow shells, and they slow down a lot. The rate of fire is nothing impressive. The Turret traverse is bad(makes more difficult to shot and dodge), Lowest HP pool of all cruisers at tier IX even less than Mogami...WTF... The AA sucks too, so if the CV wants to go for u. U don't have smoke... The carry potential of the ship is terrible, You fire little damage here, little damage there...  I got some weird games that I could hold a flank for a while. But this ship doesn't have anything to carry a game. But you cannot trust your armor against anything. And you don't either the HP pool... I feel like Atago or Chapayev are much better at tier VIII. 

I mean Mogami have a lot of problems too, but you can do a lot of damage with a 19 point captain with IFHE. And you are tier VIII.  Maybe Ibuki was better 2 or 3 years ago. Without all the new BB's and cruisers. But I don't know... IMO this needs serious buffs or changes to make it work in today WOWS.

image.thumb.png.421088918b4aedc3f507e6c8e67e3a0e.png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,317 posts
10,104 battles
48 minutes ago, Furius_Marius said:

From 17km,18km,19km.

If you're the most appealing target to shoot at at those ranges at the start you're positioning and your fire discipline is wrong. This means that you open up fire as one of the first targets. Instead let other take the agro and start firing after you know where the enemy bbs are. Sometimes this means holding your fire in the first engagement. The ibuki shines the longer in a match she's alive. She shines at kiting single targets, be it cruisers or bbs. 

In general almost all cruisers Outgun me, with fire rate, or better ballistics or better armor.

But you outspot them so that gives you the ability to control the engagement. Spot them, get in a position that is unfavorable for them, open fire, go dark, they can't go dark. EZ GG. 

And Ibuki is not specially good hunting DDs

Your concealment allows you to follow friendly DDs at a deadly distance to enemy DDs. When your friendly dd spots an enemy DD and suddenly you pop up 4km behind him on 9,7 km from that enemy dd: 7 or 8k HE salvo guaranteed. 

Overall my best tips to play the ibuki would be to practice patience, fire discipline and positioning. These terms might sound vague, but if you post some replays I'll watch them and tell you what I mean. In personal messages even if you prefer. The ibuki is a beast when played to its potential. 

Last but not least: what does your build and captain look like? Not saying you went wrong there but there might be better options to go with. 

Please do not despair! Once you get the hang of it, the ibuki is a lot of fun. Even in this meta. Grinded her not too long ago on my alt account. 

Screenshot_20200610_043436.thumb.jpg.c07628330a906ffe93e306e32504ee09.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

image.png.f3a71a0ac36a3b16006abbd800a18893.pngimage.png.054a57eaf76e5f41293b97bd273c53f7.png

Thanks for the help. But the ship feels sooo weak. 

I will try to give you some replay tomorrow. I will active them. 

I never shoot first. But as soon I'm spotted people goes to shoot me like crazy even if i'm the further away ship. They smell citadel ship. 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,669 posts
14,305 battles

While Ibuki does not make an impression of a strong ship, she is not weak either.

image.thumb.png.af59bd6411b61b1d37c263494762f076.png

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20200523/eu_2month/average_ship_u.html

I think she performs surprisingly strong when you look at the ships that outperform her and the difference to the ships performing worse than her.

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

IDK OP. When I went up the Zao line stats like dpm and armor didnt really matter. It starts with the furrytaco where you learn to use your camo to position yourself, get close open up with your massive alpha for 2-3 volleys and go stealth again when you catch the enemie'e attention. Ibuki was fun, it was stealthy, good speed and its guns hit enemies for 10k+. It's armor is absolute trash but it teaches to position and duck/dive/ and dodge back into stealth. Then you get the Zao, apply the same tactics, and you all of a sudden get some armor too. Once you master this art you become a monster in that ship. (I was top Zao player for several months in 2016)

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

Well that's what I'm saying... Maybe in 2016 was ok. But now...And by the way... Except the one I'm playing I don't see any Ibukis at all. In any of the high tier battles I play. Did someone started to play more or less recently and found this ship good? 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,669 posts
14,305 battles

Ibuki is the 6th of 14 most played Tier 9 CA (5th of 10 when you count only silver ships).

• Boring 1

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles
7 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Ibuki is the 6th of 14 most played Tier 9 CA (5th of 10 when you count only silver ships).

The last months too?? Honestly I almost never never see any Ibuki. The games are mostly filled with Alaskas, Brindisi, Donskoi, Buffalo, Seattle... Now is start to see a lot of Riga. Do you get great games latetly???

[CATS]
Players
26,669 posts
14,305 battles
Just now, Furius_Marius said:

The last months too?? Honestly I almost never never see any Ibuki. The games are mostly filled with Alaskas, Brindisi, Donskoi, Buffalo, Seattle... Now is start to see a lot of Riga. Do you get great games latetly???

Last two months.

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

And what is the difference between the 3 first picks and the rest  of CA? And again. Did you have any great battle lately with Ibuki? 

[CATS]
Players
26,669 posts
14,305 battles

The main picks are:

• Dimitri, for obvious reasons
  • Roon, because german
  • Brindisi, because people want Venezia

image.png.af464cc94c235cd9150307cee636cfd0.png

I am myself too busy playing RU CA and EU DD to play Ibuki recently.

• Cool 1

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles
3 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

The main picks are:

• Dimitri, for obvious reasons
  • Roon, because german
  • Brindisi, because people want Venezia

image.png.af464cc94c235cd9150307cee636cfd0.png

I am myself too busy playing RU CA and EU DD to play Ibuki recently.

Its not that big of gap, is weird I almost don't see any. Well if you have the chance to play it, tell me. xD

Players
222 posts
12,144 battles

I'm just about at the Zao now after playing the Ibuki for a bit. I't's been a good ship and to be honest the line is pretty consistent in play style all the way up. Excellent kiting HE cruisers with torps that can really catch a lot of players out that decide to chase you.

If you haven't worked out positioning and dodging incoming fire with the previous ships, which all had similar weaknesses in armour, how have you got to the Ibuki and decided its a terrible ship in the line? For many the Ibuki is actually an upgrade over the Mogami as it has more range and a spotter plane to give it even more.

Positioning and dodging incoming fire are the key. Once you've dodged a couple of salvos from one bb player, they normally give up and fire at something else, unless you're still the best target or they really want your arse. Enemy wasting shots on you though does also mean that someone else on your team has likely been saved damage, so at times it can a good tactic to actually try and bait an enemy to shot you just to keep someone else on your team healthy or alive.

I don't use the range mod myself and went for reload instead. Also I generally have changed a lot of my cruisers over to main battery mod 2 to get the improved turret traverse, which helps with the IJN cruisers and Italian cruisers a lot by helping keeping the guns on target whilst manoeuvring a lot.

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
346 posts
6,262 battles

I hated the Ibuki. I played it through as my first tier 9 though in maybe 2017(?) and got citadelled left and right like OP no matter how I maneuvered or angled.  After that Ibuki was actually buffed with better shell speed and Zao dispersion and a bit better plating. However after that there have been a lot of 430mm + guns added to BBs that overmatch you anyway. And of course the tier9 premiums are all one class above the Ibuki.

It was funny how I hated the ship as it couldn´t do anything worthwhile to try actually win games. Mogami was much better when supporting your dds although it was fragile too but at least I could make an impact early in the game. Ibuki had less fire power to kill DDs and still was fragile as hell so all I could do was to take potshots and then maneuver as crazy to avoid all the pot shots coming your way immediately after getting spotted. When I finally arrived at Zao it was much much better even though it had the 8km torps back then. I sold the Ibuki immediately never wanted to go back to that ship eventhough my last 5 games were pretty good in it.

I still have Mogami though as 15x155mm made that ship work a lot better even back then when IFHE was not even invented. :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

The ship is still cursed for me. Most of battles don't last more than 5 minutes. Then i have less time to learn. I'm always in situations when we are losing fast... Defeat after defeat. Maybe with longer battles and balance battles i could start to play it better. Doing around 65k damage last battles when they last at least 12 minutes. The rest... well... 20 battles and 16 defeats. And going...

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles

I'm doing my first regrind and the ship still has a curse on it, even though I improved a lot since last time I played it. I switched to a full evasion/DPM setup and my avg damage went up, but I still have the team curse of "5 minutes in, 5 ships down"

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,818 posts
5,332 battles
55 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

I'm doing my first regrind and the ship still has a curse on it, even though I improved a lot since last time I played it. I switched to a full evasion/DPM setup and my avg damage went up, but I still have the team curse of "5 minutes in, 5 ships down"

That's not really the ship's fault though..

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles
6 minutes ago, lafeel said:

That's not really the ship's fault though..

No, technically speaking, it isn't. What is immensely frustrating however that it doesn'T seem to be my fault either.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,818 posts
5,332 battles
6 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

No, technically speaking, it isn't. What is immensely frustrating however that it doesn'T seem to be my fault either.

Not saying it is either. Just sounds like a severe case of good old fashioned bad luck.

• Cool 1

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

So thanks to amazing help and advice of @GarrusBrutus I started to play really better with the ship. Being between the best 3 in a lot of battles. But even with that i got 6 defeats out of 6 tries. Soooo I free XP to Zao. I will never play Ibuki again. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,317 posts
10,104 battles
8 hours ago, Furius_Marius said:

So thanks to amazing help and advice of @GarrusBrutus I started to play really better with the ship. Being between the best 3 in a lot of battles. But even with that i got 6 defeats out of 6 tries. Soooo I free XP to Zao. I will never play Ibuki again. 

I hope you get better teams in your Zao dude. Zao atleast has way better carry potential, tier for tier.

cant get any worse anyway.... :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,818 posts
5,332 battles
14 hours ago, Furius_Marius said:

Well, here's hoping the Zao treats you better. Certainly familiar with how "fun" that situation is myself..

• Cool 1

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

I know its partially bad luck... And I'm not a great Ibuki player. But when u see that u are getting better each battle. But the result is the same for the team or even worst. Its very frustrating. 16% WR... I guess the worst Ibuki player have even better winrate than that. I play worst another ships but I don't get a continuous 5 minutes one sided defeats so often. Will see with Zao. Didn't try it yet.

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles

Amusingly, I find Ibuki more fun to play than Zao - mostly because Ibuki have actually usable turret firing arcs and lack of railguns means you can use island cover just fine. Ibuki also isn't as clumsy

Sign in to follow this