11 comments in this topic

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff
7,029 posts
4,551 battles

WG_SPB_WoWS_Infographic_Release_095_new_combat_1200x240.jpg

Commanders

In Update 0.9.5, we've significantly improved the combat missions.

• The interface has been revamped.
  • Added combat missions with an "or" condition. In such missions, one of two given conditions needs to be fulfilled in order to get the reward. E.g. earn 10,000 Base XP "or" destroy 10 enemy ships. Thus, you will be able to choose which of the conditions you prefer, and fulfill the requirement playing the most suitable ships.
  • Changed the way combat missions are displayed on the post-battle statistics screen: the interface has been revamped, and the possibility to track combat mission progress in a separate window has been added.

WG_SPB_WoWs_screenshots_SSE_EN_1_1920x1080.jpg

WG_SPB_WoWs_screenshots_SSE_EN_2_1920x1080.jpg

WG_SPB_WoWs_screenshots_SSE_EN_3_1920x1080.jpg

The rewards have also been updated: during summer, you’ll also earn Steel in addition to Coal when you complete combat missions! More details about that, as well as other changes to Daily Missions, will be available in the dedicated article covering combat missions.

• Cool 1

[RRVK]
Players
49 posts
14,125 battles

Hey WG

Thank you for your updated combat missions. I am certain I will get used to the various "shortcut" icons, so thats a minor (me) issue.

In my opinion you really should have been more explicit in pointing out that completing all 6 daily missions counted towards reaching the 40 or 60 monthly goal, but once my brain got into gear and sussed out that not even a company such as WG would comtemplate serving up the concept of 60 day months, it became obvious. Sorry for being a bit dense. 

Most of all I am absolutely thrilled that you have mixed up the rewards in the 6 daily missions. I will no more have to allocate certain days to grinding my "preferred" reward. The addition of steel is also a super nice benefit - especially for a coop potato such as I. It really helps me in reaching my (5-year) plan of getting a steel ship.

It is also very nice that you have included all missions in one tab. It makes it so much easier to evaluate progress in the Dockyard event without having to access the individual event tab.

I also find it spectacular that you have introduced "split" triggers for completing individual missions in the Dockyard event. I especially noted the one with the T-61 DD - you should consider doing that more often and/or perhaps tie that into promoting ships which are seldomly used or which need a "sales" buff.

Once again thank you for this evolution of WOWS - hope you decide to keep it and possibly improve upon it some more.

Players
4,046 posts

I'd like to get the rewards collected tab back. It is really confusing to skim through all the mission icons, or the notifications, to see which rewards one got after a battle.

The single click rewards tab was a comfort function I really liked.

Edit:

Seems like the tab still works for rewards gained from achievements. Only mission rewards are no longer listed.

Edit2:

According to Sehales on the german forums, it is not planned to bring the functionailty of the "rewards collected" tab back. That the new mission system is not working with it, is the way it is supposed to be.:Smile_sad:

• Cool 3

[PUPSI]
Players
806 posts
2,665 battles

I like it, especially having 'directives' in the same place at last. It took a couple of tries to get used to the interface, but I've got there now :)

[WTFNO]
Players
40 posts
4,746 battles

I think the new design has both considerable pros and some significant cons.

On the plus side:

• It looks very clean, and it's more clear what needs to be done in each mission.
  • The directives fit well in with the other missions, collecting everything in one spot.
  • The "or" condition missions are excellent.

On the minus side:

• It's hard to know where missions are from. Below I have the fairly anonymous "Enter a battle" mission, which is the Pyotr Bagration boost mission, and "Win a battles" (last week's Twitch mission). Who would have known?
    new_ui_bland_missions.thumb.jpg.1b993ed9a14e36f1f894c2a2a89ce1b2.jpg
  • Related to this, the missions have become very bland.

Let's discuss the problems with bland missions in a bit more detail. I think that this is bad for WoWs and the long term engagement of the players. In theory it's just the same missions as before - you sink 5 ships or do 1 million damage. Much of WoWs is centered around this kind of fairly mundane tasks. However, due to the graphical presentation and little bits of writing this was somewhat muted. The graphical presentation gave Twitch missions a certain look. The little naming of daily missions made it some at least a little bit special day. It wasn't just today's mission of exactly the same task as Yesterday - it was the day of the battle of River Plate, or the channel rush, or the battle of Narvik.

Even more so with the missions in directives - before they had a story, but now they're just a list of objectives. Missions which once was "Stiff upper lip" or "This is fine" are now just "Receive 24.500.000 HP of damage" or "Receive 30000 HP of fire damage and survive the battle".

It was always "just missions", but the new mission UI is very much in your face about it. This is also in stark contrast to very much else in the UI, such as the very elaborate ports or the container openings. Containers have the most elaborate system to keep the opening engaging and fun. The new mission UI looks like it contains the frontend developer's test missions rather than actual production content. "And here is my test mission for repeatable missions, conveniently named 'Enter a battle' so the testers know what it's supposed to do. We can fill in content later."

A lot of people probably spend more time looking at their missions and directives than they do opening containers. It's important content, but now it's just placeholder content.

Players
1,152 posts
On 6/11/2020 at 12:53 PM, Egoleter said:

I'd like to get the rewards collected tab back. It is really confusing to skim through all the mission icons, or the notifications, to see which rewards one got after a battle.

The single click rewards tab was a comfort function I really liked.

Edit:

Seems like the tab still works for rewards gained from achievements. Only mission rewards are no longer listed.

Edit2:

According to Sehales on the german forums, it is not planned to bring the functionailty of the "rewards collected" tab back. That the new mission system is not working with it, is the way it is supposed to be.:Smile_sad:

That seems like an unnecessary quality-of-life downgrade. It's already hard enough to tell which missions on the post-battle screen relate to which ones in the Combat Missions tab; without the Rewards Collected tab it's not even possible to keep a running total of what has been gained in a day's play. Surely given the new generosity of the extra rewards for Dailies, WG would want to show off all that extra stuff we're getting now?

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,406 posts
10,077 battles

The Design is Great. But as this Design Lacks the Categories of whats a Challenge from Today or whats a Personally Acquired Mission etc.

You might want to Consider to either add back these Categories. Or to Name the Missions more carefully.

For Example. My Ägir Mission which is a Personal Mission. Is now simply under "Combat" which says me nothing lol.

It would be nice if these could be listed under a "Personal" Tab again :)

After all you now Nicely made other Missions into their Own Tabs again. The Daily Mission Chains getting their own Tab is Super Nice because its actually Something I often Check doing and thus its Nice for me to see at a Glance if I am done with something.

Same for the Event Missions now having their own Named Tab inside that. Which is Seperate from other Event Missions.

• Cool 1

Players
946 posts
6,705 battles

I generally like the new interface, and find it an overall massive improvement. Job well done.

However, in the Combat missions for the Dockyard campaign, I think there is room for improvement. Something that could implemented in any set of directives related to an event (like Russian Cruisers in the last patch, or Klar zum Gefecht now).

Based on experience on NA server (but doubt it is different for EU).

Issue: When opening the combat missions for the dockyard, by default the first directive (= Keel Laying) is opened (which I have completed). When I want to look for the second directive, I have to click it each time. A small annoyance, but over time it builds up.

Suggested improvement: By default open the first incomplete directive (= Steam and Steel) that is active (so right now, that would be directive 2). When completed, and if the third (or any other subsequent) directive is not active yet, keep the last completed directive as the default directive that opens when opening the campaign tab.

Players
11 posts
14,546 battles
On 6/14/2020 at 10:38 PM, NobleSauvage said:

That seems like an unnecessary quality-of-life downgrade. It's already hard enough to tell which missions on the post-battle screen relate to which ones in the Combat Missions tab; without the Rewards Collected tab it's not even possible to keep a running total of what has been gained in a day's play. Surely given the new generosity of the extra rewards for Dailies, WG would want to show off all that extra stuff we're getting now?

Don't like it either...not intuitive and far too cluttered for my liking, so much so that I'm no longer bothering to see what missions are available.  

• Funny 1

Players
4,415 posts
5,713 battles

Please (PLEASE!!), optimize loading of combat missions and Dockyard. It takes ages to load.

I feel like I have Pentium III PC...

And I know its not my PC a problem.

Modder
5,398 posts
24,445 battles
On 6/16/2020 at 1:39 PM, Sandgroper13 said:

Don't like it either...not intuitive and far too cluttered for my liking, so much so that I'm no longer bothering to see what missions are available.  

I am already modding it, making them as simple visually as possible. Without any not needed text, dividers, too strong shading of inactive missions etc. Will try to hide already done missions. Anyway I hate this new system too, the same like new armory and premium shop. Former visuals was much more informative and new ones are huge downgrade. At least for me.

image.thumb.png.fe82396269fbe2788aaa2d765c7c7fa0.png

Sign in to follow this