Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ErickBloodGun

Top ranked battle players sucking at random?

38 comments in this topic

Players
194 posts
3,426 battles

It might be only an impression, but when I play randoms I see at the end of the game many players with rank between 5 or 1 ending up around mid of the scoreboard, with mediocre results. 
Ok this is not always the case, but I saw it more than 50% of the time perhaps, and this rise a question? 
Grinding ranks in ranked is bloody hard beyond rank 10, it requires several winning streaks and trying to keep the star when you lose. You should be a very very good player to reach such results (and a bit lucky also)
I consider myself a player (at least slightly) over the average, with a good exp base. However, I kinda gave up at rank 9. I found no worthy my time getting and losing stars everytime.
Now the question: is it possible that many top ranked players are very good in the tactics that lead them to victory in ranked battles, but do not excel in randoms? How would this be explainable?

[ENUF]
Players
3,999 posts
14,009 battles
Vor 7 Minuten, ErickBloodGun sagte:

It might be only an impression, but when I play randoms I see at the end of the game many players with rank between 5 or 1 ending up around mid of the scoreboard, with mediocre results. 
Ok this is not always the case, but I saw it more than 50% of the time perhaps, and this rise a question? 
Grinding ranks in ranked is bloody hard beyond rank 10, it requires several winning streaks and trying to keep the star when you lose. You should be a very very good player to reach such results (and a bit lucky also)
I consider myself a player (at least slightly) over the average, with a good exp base. However, I kinda gave up at rank 9. I found no worthy my time getting and losing stars everytime.
Now the question: is it possible that many top ranked players are very good in the tactics that lead them to victory in ranked battles, but do not excel in randoms? How would this be explainable?

Spam enough battles and u will reach r1 eventually. High ranks in ranked are no indication for the players skill. Take a look at the amount of battles played to reach r1, if it is below 100,then the player might be a good player. 

• Cool 7

Players
515 posts
15,221 battles

People may or may not take randoms seriously anymore. Some people will bring stock ships, retraining captains and a 'I'm gonna take a crap instead if my CV is a 40% hero' attitude into randoms. Few will into ranked. And if they do, they won't reach the top bracket. 

• Cool 1

Players
194 posts
3,426 battles
8 minuti fa, _ReWinD_ ha scritto:

Spam enough battles and u will reach r1 eventually. High ranks in ranked are no indication for the players skill. Take a look at the amount of battles played to reach r1, if it is below 100,then the player might be a good player. 

This would also explain why not all Stalingrads are played by good players (to get Stalingrad you need tons of steel which is mostly farmed in ranked).
However, I'm not absolutely sure getting to high ranks only requires persistence. There must be something that makes me suck in ranked, while in randoms I usually perform quite well.

[ENUF]
Players
3,999 posts
14,009 battles
Vor 1 Minute, ErickBloodGun sagte:

This would also explain why not all Stalingrads are played by good players (to get Stalingrad you need tons of steel which is mostly farmed in ranked).
However, I'm not absolutely sure getting to high ranks only requires persistence. There must be something that makes me suck in ranked, while in randoms I usually perform quite well.

Play to safe stars. That's all. Farm Dmg the whole game, no need to play with the team. You won't win most of the battles, but u will not lose a star in a lot of games aswell. There will be enough games where the team is able to win without you contributing much, use it. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4
  • Angry 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
1 minute ago, Excavatus said:

Rank is not and has never been an indicator of skill.. 

It only shows how much you hate yourself and how much pain you can endure.. 

Could not have said it better myself.

Go to wows stats and look at ranked.......some people lose their way into rank 1 with 700+ battles.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,778 posts
14,375 battles
15 minutes ago, ErickBloodGun said:

As others explained: just spam battles and you will get there eventually.

And yes, good players can have bad matches too.

Players
515 posts
15,221 battles
Vor 5 Minuten, _ReWinD_ sagte:

As of today, 1.496% of ranked participants have reached R1. Less than 10% of these did so with less than 100 games.

Declaring fewer than .15% of ranked participants 'might be good players' is an interesting assessment.

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/season/season16/player_dense_eu.html

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/season/season16/achievers_eu.html

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
194 posts
3,426 battles
8 minuti fa, _ReWinD_ ha scritto:

Play to safe stars. That's all. Farm Dmg the whole game, no need to play with the team. You won't win most of the battles, but u will not lose a star in a lot of games aswell. There will be enough games where the team is able to win without you contributing much, use it. 

It's kinda amusing to see people dying in the first 3 minutes of the game, then their team manage to win and they gain the star anyway, with almost zero contribution. Unfortunately I've never been that kind of lucky guy.
Btw I noted that to save my star also capturing areas with dds may grant you several exp points, although damage farming might be the best way

• Funny 1

[JRM]
Players
6,577 posts
24,792 battles
3 hours ago, ErickBloodGun said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

3 hours ago, _ReWinD_ said:

This :cap_like:

Ranking system in this game has very little in common with ranking anything except how many times you can press battle

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,567 posts
6,206 battles
3 hours ago, ErickBloodGun said:

People play specific ships that they perform well in in ranked, while in randoms they faff about in whatever strikes their fancy?

Besides that, you can often be influential without really scoring much. E.g. the DD that makes a disproportionate number of enemy players crap their pants and stay miles away from a cap might not get a terribly high score, but still contribute a lot to a victory.

[JRM]
Players
6,577 posts
24,792 battles
4 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

People play specific ships that they perform well in in ranked, while in randoms they faff about in whatever strikes their fancy?

Besides that, you can often be influential without really scoring much. E.g. the DD that makes a disproportionate number of enemy players crap their pants and stay miles away from a cap might not get a terribly high score, but still contribute a lot to a victory.

True but then such people have purple WR in DDs and not red, Ranked system we have just doesnt rank individual performance, OFC a better player will be better at working the system and rank out faster then a poor one but as in ranking out as such being a measure of good player - no...

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
3 hours ago, _ReWinD_ said:

This mentality is the core problem of the skill-level in this community.

Please don't make it worse by encouraging people to play like this.

• Cool 3

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
515 posts
23,018 battles

ranked is never a competitive mode, its a grind - nothing else. you get mixed with people which dont even speak the same language, or playing for the same goals. to reach rank 1 doesnt mean anything, after you can spam hundreds of battles, and with an winrate of 40% or less. somebody will carry you through the ranks. i gave up on ranked because my nerves and good mood is not worth the rewards. i dont wanna spend my time after work, with horrible players - getting angry over and over again. 

• Cool 2

[CKBK]
Players
318 posts
17,149 battles

Lately everyone suffers from randoms, games end up too fast, team mates not knowing how to support, and sometimes players are getting punished for doing the right thing...

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,336 posts
10,110 battles
25 minutes ago, SnuSnu_RIP said:

i dont wanna spend my time after work, with horrible players

*looks at randoms* :Smile_teethhappy:
tenor.gif?itemid=3482078

• Funny 3

Players
1,542 posts
7,145 battles

They got completely burned out their brains in the ranked grind and function as sea sponges for a week.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ENUF]
Players
3,999 posts
14,009 battles
Vor 54 Minuten, steveraptor sagte:

This mentality is the core problem of the skill-level in this community.

Please don't make it worse by encouraging people to play like this.

I don't "encourage"ppl to do it. he asked how ppl ARE doing it. just a short explanation for what he has seen in randoms

[SKM71]
[SKM71]
Players
167 posts
13,439 battles

To rank out with a winrate below 50% you need to top the scoreboard a lot to save your stars. And you do need to have some type of skill to rank out. Ranked players knows the best island hiding spots, the best parking spots, uses tactics you dont see in random and more. 

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,865 posts
27,131 battles
5 hours ago, ErickBloodGun said:

Tell me do you see something strange on this image? It is from this season

2123709746_Screenshotfrom2020-06-0916-39-43.png.26538250fe9a9adab424b130af8c120c.png

• Cool 1

[SWAMP]
Players
345 posts
2,667 battles

Yes, this goes for me for instance. My PR/xp gains are usually mediocre, because I always play for the win regardless of ranked or randoms. That said, I almost never land at the bottom of the XP gained in any mode, but I will not chase that top spot either. In mye DDs for instance I will always focus on capping, killing the enemy DD(s) and spotting, but I wont go out of my way to torp BBs for high damage numbers. If I see that we have a cap/points/ship advantage near the end of the game, I will stay back and even flee if it 100% guarantees us to win on points. This usually gets me into purple win rates (for the last 3 months at least), but yellow PR stats.

TL;DR: It depends on playstyle, and whether you play for the team win or for your personal stats (super unicums can do both usually though). I do land consistently in the top half though, but not consistently on top. I just prefer to win.

• Cool 3

Players
2,918 posts
16,614 battles

5 hours ago, Excavatus said:

Rank is not and has never been an indicator of skill.. 

It only shows how much you hate yourself and how much pain you can endure.. 

I find ranked quite enjoyable so long as CVs arent a part of them.

5 hours ago, thisismalacoda said:

As of today, 1.496% of ranked participants have reached R1. Less than 10% of these did so with less than 100 games.

Declaring fewer than .15% of ranked participants 'might be good players' is an interesting assessment.

Agreed. 

Less than 200-250 games is more realistic and corresponds to a winrate around 55%

Have you ever played Albermarle, midtier italians or Crispy Creme? :Smile_trollface:

Not to mention you cannot kill opponents faster than 11 glorious teammates can outdo each other at suiciding in new and dumber ways.

• Boring 1

Sign in to follow this