You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Oily_Discharge

Is Amagi really turtleback ?

14 comments in this topic

Players
348 posts
5,425 battles

Greetings ,

I played a couple of matches against amagi sailing broadside to me under 10-12km . I was in richellue once and in bismarck in other game  and I am doing 35k-40k salvos indeed citadel hits . But sometimes its just pens dmg but I have noticed if you aim just a lil below waterline at broadside (close range) amagi its guaranteed citadel ? I managed to delete amagi thrice at point blank range as well with over 50k salvos then how come its turtleback ? Thars even a video on youtube on how to citadel amagi done by aerroon probably but its few years old and idk whether mechanics have changed or not .

Many thanks !

[SHAFT]
Players
9,839 posts
8,982 battles

Definetely not the same as german turtleback. But always remember: If the ship is turning, it negates the turtleback. Thats usually the cause for citadels even on turtleback ships.

• Cool 1

Players
8,169 posts
9,066 battles

Things haven't changed and turtleback comes in different qualities. German BB turtleback at close range is impenetrable to pretty much anything that cannot boast improved pen angles, stuff like Amagi or French ships are just there to make it less likely to eat reliable cits compared to ships like NC, Massa or Alabama with overmatchable citadel deck or Monarch, Vladi or Lenin with above water cit.

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Amagi has trolling armor, you dont play ot for its defense, Amagi shines with its guns,  it also has big weak spots by its front and rear turrets.

Players
287 posts
5,282 battles

I skipped Amagi for that reason. I can't deal with battleships that have zero armor. Love having them as opponents - though one must be wary of their guns. Kind of a one-trick pony.

[ARYA]
Players
597 posts
15,526 battles

Not turtleback but she has decent armor on her aft

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Yes, she has a turtleback. You can see it in the in-game armour viewer.

HOWEVER it should be noted that it’s significantly thinner than on the KM BBs. Amagis citadels “invulnerability” ends around 8...8.5km distance

And as far as that is concerned even years old videos are up to date. No major changes from the mechanics or Amagi in this regard

Players
348 posts
5,425 battles
1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

I skipped Amagi for that reason. I can't deal with battleships that have zero armor. Love having them as opponents - though one must be wary of their guns. Kind of a one-trick pony.

angled amagi can tank a shitload of ap damage fam 

Players
287 posts
5,282 battles
5 minutes ago, Furius_Marius said:

The main problem of Amagi nowadays is the deck armor. 

Yes, I am not privy to the details of Amagi armor, all I know is I'm fine with facing them. I did ok against them in North Carolinas and lately in the - oh my God overpowered - Vladivostok. That ship makes even me look good. Let's just say the Amagi was not my cup of tea. I enjoyed the Izumo way more.

Players
224 posts
7,051 battles

Izumo is the tankiest of IJN BBs by far. IMO Nagato and Amagi need slight buffs to keep with the new ships. Amagi still good, but considering you will face a lot of this new cruisers... that deck armor... Nagato is the worst performing tier VII BB together with Colorado. Before the caliber made up for the rest. Now is not so unique. 

[-TAP-]
[-TAP-]
Beta Tester
95 posts
10,731 battles

Nobody said which way up the turtle was... :dance_turtle: