Sign in to follow this  
Tatsfield

Commander Training for a Cruiser with Torpedoes

12 comments in this topic

[LEAKS]
Players
231 posts
9,403 battles

Any advice for what skills the commander of a torpedo cruiser might best have?  There seems to be too many possibles that whatever I choose, I'll need one I can't load.

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,027 posts
12,287 battles
23 minutes ago, Tatsfield said:

Any advice for what skills the commander of a torpedo cruiser might best have?  There seems to be too many possibles that whatever I choose, I'll need one I can't load.

Torpedo Cruiser? Which ship do you have in mind?

[SM0KE]
Players
5,628 posts
13,906 battles
3 hours ago, Tatsfield said:

Any advice for what skills the commander of a torpedo cruiser might best have?

It rather depends on the cruiser, and - more specifically - how important the torps are to making the ship perform.

I'm not very good with cruisers, but I can't think of any that I have where a 'torp' build would be optimal?

Although sometimes a bit flaky and/or open to argument, have you found the wiki, specifically the ship entries - each one generally has a section detailing all the captain skills and how often they're useful for that particular ship?

This, as an example, is Leander:

image.thumb.png.84ce583636c95b3c69f0b4783bda05ae.png

(You'll note that, contrary to my feelings, TAE is classed as 'frequently useful')

Another worthwhile place to look: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc

[LEAKS]
Players
231 posts
9,403 battles

@Wizard27_1979.  It's the Mikoyan.  I got it with Soviet Tokens and feel that I ought to make some effort to try to improve my performance with cruisers by using it.  I am a BB baby by inclination and have never had any success with anything using torpedoes or that had to be excessively manoeuvred.  I'm useless with DDs, so I thought I might try again with a torpedo equipped cruiser as a less extreme test bed for improving ship handling and torpedo firing and the  Mikoyan fell into my hands easily.  Just want to maximise my chances of success by loading the best option commander skills.

@Verblonde.  Thanks for the chart and the advice for the Wiki which I had forgotten altogether.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,866 battles
52 minutes ago, Tatsfield said:

It's the Mikoyan.  I got it with Soviet Tokens and feel that I ought to make some effort to try to improve my performance with cruisers by using it.  I am a BB baby by inclination and have never had any success with anything using torpedoes or that had to be excessively manoeuvred.  I'm useless with DDs, so I thought I might try again with a torpedo equipped cruiser as a less extreme test bed for improving ship handling and torpedo firing and the  Mikoyan fell into my hands easily.  Just want to maximise my chances of success by loading the best option commander skills.

The Mikoyan is very much not a torpedo-focused ship. Those torpedoes are ambush- and yolo-weapons.
Trying to focus on using torps in her will pointlessly get you sunk a lot and not much else.

[ARKA]
Players
18 posts
17,388 battles

The only thing that might even remotely come close to a torpedo ship is the Zao tbh (and maybe Mino),

Even then I would not focus on her torpedoes, as they are almost always outclassed by her incredible guns...

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,210 posts
9,265 battles

Pretty much what imoenbg1 said...don't focus on torpedoes. The only torpedo skill I regularly use is the torpedo acceleration on my italian cruisers because they have a lot of range but very slow torps.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,628 posts
13,906 battles
5 hours ago, Tatsfield said:

It's the Mikoyan.

As a general rule, the bulk of the Russian cruiser line is very much about the guns (the infamous 'railguns'); these ships usually have horribly short-ranged torps, so you often don't get to use them, unless someone messes up royally. Even those with better range on their torps are still optimally built mainly with the focus on guns.

If there are cruisers that reward more of a torp build, the Russians aren't them.

All that said, if you want a laugh, manly YOLO combat at ludicrously close quarters in Coop can be fun....

• Cool 2

Players
1,163 posts
18,741 battles

@imoenbg1 summed it up really well: there are currently no all-around "torpedo cruisers" apart from Zao, and a few others that could work like that under certain circumstances (kiting, really open waters).

As for general use skills on cruisers, the basic 10 points are IMHO PT; EM (for slow turrets), AR (if you know you can endure with low HP) or JoaT (if oriented towards utility); SI (utility and/or own survival) or DE (firestarters), and CE.

Salute.

[LEAKS]
Players
231 posts
9,403 battles

I suspect it is obvious that because I am predominantly a big gun skipper, I have had little interest in torpedoes and don't understand the differences between them on the different platforms.  I'll worry less about them on the Mikoyan and practice their use on some lower tier DDs.  I'll use the Mik to improve ship handling abilities and coming to terms with the fact that smaller vessels can't tank the way I've learnt to do in BBs and so improve my evasion skills. I seem to be a slow learner and have only recently begun to make improvements in my BBs but many of the skills which seem to help cruisers might well be applied to BBs but I now realise that the reverse of this process isn't going to contribute much to skippering smaller ships.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,628 posts
13,906 battles
6 hours ago, Tatsfield said:

the reverse of this process isn't going to contribute much to skippering smaller ships.

I don't think that's completely true: knowing how to properly manage DCP and healing potions is really useful in dinkier ships too, and I've found being practiced at forward planning where your guns need to be pointing in advance to be of great help on all but those ships with the fastest turning turrets...

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,866 battles
21 hours ago, Tatsfield said:

but I now realise that the reverse of this process isn't going to contribute much to skippering smaller ships.

Maybe think of it from the opposite direction:
-Which cruisers are the juiciest targets for your BB ?

-When do your eyes light up and you think "that guy just messed up, i'm gonna left-click him hard"

-When are you at your most vulnerable to a cruiser, to a DD ?

-Which kind if torp-spreads are the ones that tend to hurt you the most and are most likely to land on you ?

-Which cruisers are the most annoying to deal with and when do you have the hardest time getting rid of them ?

Sign in to follow this