You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sunleader

Modern Naval Forces ?

46 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,202 posts
9,990 battles

Are there any Plans or Considerations to Implement more Modern Ships into the Game ?

Like Ships Equipped with Missile Weapons and Autocannons as well as Guided Torpedoes.

@Sehales

@MrConway

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
2 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Are there any Plans or Considerations to Implement more Modern Ships into the Game ?

Like Ships Equipped with Missile Weapons and Autocannons as well as Guided Torpedoes.

@Sehales

@MrConway

Why? So we can get target locks from 400km away and launch missiles without ever seeing the target? Seems like engaging gameplay. Unfortunately modern ship-warfare is drastically different from anything in WWII and would not translate into a fun game. (Unless long puzzle games are your thing i guess)

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,876 posts
6,468 battles
10 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

@Sehales

@MrConway

If you want those, go play War Thunder.

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,838 battles
7 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Most European destroyers and some Soviet, American, and French ships are also extremely modern relatively speaking.

7 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Missiles already exists for carriers, and we know how toxic that is. Guided torpedoes exists for subs and we also know how toxic that is. Ship launched missiles was in developer testing a few years back but it was found to be overly effective against 'larger ships'.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
4,202 posts
9,990 battles
2 minutes ago, waxx25 said:

Why? So we can get target locks from 400km away and launch missiles without ever seeing the target? Seems like engaging gameplay. Unfortunately modern ship-warfare is drastically different from anything in WWII and would not translate into a fun game. (Unless long puzzle games are your thing i guess)

I am asking because lately New T10 Ships already Dip into the Timeline where this becomes a thing.

Also. Weapons and Spotting and even Radar in WG are entirely Fantasy already.

So its Highly Unlikely that if we get Modern Ships they will have more than the current 20-25km ranges of BBs

2 minutes ago, lafeel said:

If you want those, go play War Thunder.

I dont care.

Just wanna know if they are thinking about it.

2 minutes ago, dasCKD said:

Most European destroyers and some Soviet, American, and French ships are also extremely modern relatively speaking.

Missiles already exists for carriers, and we know how toxic that is. Guided torpedoes exists for subs and we also know how toxic that is. Ship launched missiles was in developer testing a few years back but it was found to be overly effective against 'larger ships'.

Thats why I am asking if there is plans on it.

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,838 battles
2 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Thats why I am asking if there is plans on it.

Then missiles are already in the game, guided torpedoes are already in the game, and ship missiles will not be implemented because they have been considered and discarded as a concept.

[THESO]
4,202 posts
9,990 battles
1 minute ago, dasCKD said:

Then missiles are already in the game, guided torpedoes are already in the game, and ship missiles will not be implemented because they have been considered and discarded as a concept.

I know.

But that doesnt mean there wont be new Considerations.

WG did implement a Mechanic for Guided Torps for example where you need to maintain Sonar Pings.

Which might very well lead to them thinking about adding Radar Pings for Missiles.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
4 hours ago, dasCKD said:

We will never have subs in WOWS! :cap_horn:

• Funny 4

[STEEL]
Players
661 posts
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

We will never have subs in WOWS! :cap_horn:

I do not believe any statement they make about anything beyond the status quo of today.

We already have so much sci-fi, anime and fantasy content in this game that we will get dragons and battlemechs at some point. World of Everything, the WalMart game.

[OCTO]
Players
1,257 posts
30,027 battles
7 hours ago, dasCKD said:

Yes. And submarines will NEVER EVER make it into the game, as they don't fit in gameplay.

Oh wait...

P.S. At some stage VMF had probably the best SSM and for that reason, you should expect them in the game at some stage, IMHO

• Cool 1

[BODEM]
Players
803 posts
7,303 battles
9 minutes ago, Bitchmarck said:

I do not believe any statement they make about anything beyond the status quo of today.

We already have so much sci-fi, anime and fantasy content in this game that we will get dragons and battlemechs at some point. World of Everything, the WalMart game.

Would be interesting if they'd take the concept of wows/wot and implement it with dragons or mechs :D

• Cool 1

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,610 posts
13,923 battles
8 hours ago, dasCKD said:

Define Modern...  i would not considder a Gearing a Modern Warship by a long shot....

As for the rest of "modern" ships to implement them would mean, wire guided torpedos, radar and heat based missle weaponry, very very very overtuned main armament in comparasion. Little to no armor, no ammo choices one hit and out mechanics. Cause where an exocet lands in modern warfare there is just a gaping hole and some sinking surrondings....

[THESO]
4,202 posts
9,990 battles
19 minutes ago, Beebo_The_Destroyer said:

Define Modern...  i would not considder a Gearing a Modern Warship by a long shot....

As for the rest of "modern" ships to implement them would mean, wire guided torpedos, radar and heat based missle weaponry, very very very overtuned main armament in comparasion. Little to no armor, no ammo choices one hit and out mechanics. Cause where an exocet lands in modern warfare there is just a gaping hole and some sinking surrondings....

Erm. Take a Look at the Swedish DDs....

This is not a Simulation.

So Weapons and Ships will work by Damage and HP that is decided by Balance not by Reality.

Or do you think a 460mm HE Shell from Yamato would not have Onehit a Gearing in Reality ?

Exocet had about as much Power as a Shell from 40cm Gun or a Torpedo. :)

So nothing Special in the Game.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
3,922 battles
9 hours ago, Sunleader said:

@Sehales

@MrConway

WG tried guided missiles in an in house testing set up a while ago, The player had to fire a missile and 'guide' it to the target. Apparently as Sub_Octavian put it, it was a lot of fun, but clearly had no place in WoWS, with historical mostly WW2 era ships.

However we were told repeatedly subs would never come to WoWS, so who knows, one day maybe.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,610 posts
13,923 battles
20 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Erm. Take a Look at the Swedish DDs....

This is not a Simulation.

So Weapons and Ships will work by Damage and HP that is decided by Balance not by Reality.

Or do you think a 460mm HE Shell from Yamato would not have Onehit a Gearing in Reality ?

Simmulation or not, starting from the late 60tees Modern Warships, Soviet , US and anything else where upgraded to One Shot Kill Weponsystems, Exocets, Sea Sparrows. You name it. It goes on with the development into modern Sub Warfare, it exploded in the Same Timeperiod with the Introduction of Wire guided Torpedosystems. And the bad thing you have to skip a long long time frame in order to explore something like a "level" playing field for Modern Ships. 

The Mentioned Saab Rb 08 Missle on the New Pan EU DDs is a freaking walk in the park in comparision. It would make the game a real freaking shitshow fiesta as the ranges would be expanding so far. Simulation or not it. They pack a punch harder then the Most heavy Hitting Torpedos we have in game and that would just translate to bad gameplay. Coming back to the skipping of timeframes one would have to skip up to late 80tees in order to have a basic meassure of CIWS on the Vessles that would make introduction of Missles even feasable. The beauty of WW2 Era ships is and stays that they where fairly simple in their weapons loadout hence this implementation was rather easy for the Era everything from the 60-80tees would be... ouch in terms of balancing it in any meaningfull fashion....

Did i mention Nuclear Powered sups with Guided Torpedos and Missles?

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
28 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Exactly, people have a wrong impression about anti-ship guided missiles as something unbelivably powerfoul compared to a shell as a single entity and they are really not, their power lies mainly in hit rate, in a tradional naval combat of ww1-ww2 era a hit rate of 1-3% would be decent while a guided anti ship missile shoud be at least in the 50% range and that is a huge difference in real life especially in time till first hit as its very unlikely that a first or even second gun salvo will hit at maximum engagement ranges while the missile will and this situation creates a huge inballance between a ship having the homing capabilities vs the one that doesnt... After missiles reached a reliable overall hitrate only thing deciding which is superior are resitance to countermeasures and effective range

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,610 posts
13,923 battles
7 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Exactly, people have a wrong impression about anti-ship guided missiles as something unbelivably powerfoul compared to a shell as a single entity and they are really not, their power lies mainly in hit rate, in a tradional naval combat of ww1-ww2 era a hit rate of 1-3% would be decent while a guided anti ship missile shoud be at least in the 50% range and that is a huge difference in real life especially in time till first hit as its very unlikely that a first or even second gun salvo will hit at maximum engagement ranges while the missile will and this situation creates a huge inballance between a ship having the homing capabilities vs the one that doesnt... After missiles reached a reliable overall hitrate only thing deciding which is superior are resitance to countermeasures and effective range

Yeah please explain to me what i did for a living for 14 years. I am sure i am to retarded to understand that.

40 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

You fail to grasp that the 40cm Shells in this game hit appropriate armor of the time frame while the 137kg of fragmented compound that has a higher detonationyield than any HE Shell in the whole game pinpointed on one place will wreck anything constructed after the WW2 Period as it simply is not armored.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
1 minute ago, Beebo_The_Destroyer said:

Yeah please explain to me what i did for a living for 14 years. I am sure i am to retarded to understand that.

You fail to grasp that the 40cm Shells in this game hit appropriate armor of the time frame while the 137kg of fragmented compound that has a higher detonationyield than any HE Shell in the whole game pinpointed on one place will wreck anything constructed after the WW2 Period as it simply is not armored.

I dont see where there is contradiction you just said exactly the same thing ^^

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,610 posts
13,923 battles
2 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

I dont see where there is contradiction you just said exactly the same thing ^^

Wait let me steep to the level of conversation here 

NO U....

That said, i would NOT appreciate having "modern" naval ships in the current set of operational parameters that this game uses. Even if the missles get a reloadtimer, you'd have barely any counterplay untill the late 80tees where the ships started to get much more close in weaponry appropritate to deal with his and having the 40cm equivalent of an HE shell flying towards you in a ship that has no real means to defend against it is just bad.

Players
2,328 posts
20,586 battles

The way the game is going with the urgency to keep adding new 'dynamic' content especially at higher tiers it really wouldn't shock me, as apparently adding diversity in ship content is a lower priority. 

If nothing else even if WG come out and categorically say no they won't add such content  all they really mean is not at this time. 

[-TPF-]
Players
4,668 posts
19,130 battles
23 minutes ago, Beebo_The_Destroyer said:

Simmulation or not, starting from the late 60tees Modern Warships, Soviet , US and anything else where upgraded to One Shot Kill Weponsystems, Exocets, Sea Sparrows. You name it. It goes on with the development into modern Sub Warfare, it exploded in the Same Timeperiod with the Introduction of Wire guided Torpedosystems. And the bad thing you have to skip a long long time frame in order to explore something like a "level" playing field for Modern Ships. 

The issue with modern naval warfare is defence. The last major naval engagement was the Falklands War and it proved that surface ships are extremely vulnerable to threats in the air and below the water. Protecting a modern surface fleet requires nested layers of defence, of a kind and complexity that can't be put into WoWs. 

However the fact that there was still a WW2 cruiser floating around in the South Atlantic as a valid part of a naval defence strategy (and the Belgrano was by no means the only ship of her type in a South American navy) shows that you could edge towards more modern warfare if you didn't focus on the part of the world with nuclear weapons and guided missile cruisers....

• Cool 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,774 posts
20 minutes ago, Beebo_The_Destroyer said:

Wait let me steep to the level of conversation here 

NO U....

That said, i would NOT appreciate having "modern" naval ships in the current set of operational parameters that this game uses. Even if the missles get a reloadtimer, you'd have barely any counterplay untill the late 80tees where the ships started to get much more close in weaponry appropritate to deal with his and having the 40cm equivalent of an HE shell flying towards you in a ship that has no real means to defend against it is just bad.

OFC not I wouldnt either although since we do get a 20-30% main gun hitrate with main guns in this game as it stands consequently a 50% or even 80% hitrate with missiles wouldnt be unbalancable vs conventional artillery neraly as much as it is IRL