Sign in to follow this  
GregApollo

Mid level JPN DD line - any use?

6 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
620 battles

Hard to notice the difficulties i face when i play JPN DD line - currently Mutsuki. I had a few pretty decent runs, but most of the time, it's just suffering. I recently meet with DDs better camo than i do, Cruisers, witch are faster than my dd, BS, that can turn out of a perfectly shot torp salvo, planes, that are just anavoidable if they spot you - so, in what position should a JPN DD play? I spot - no reward, and most of the time, allied ships are in my butt, so, they can spot targets too. I'm constantly spotted by radar, my torps are spotted with hydros, can't cap, because they find me in the capturing zone, if i go alone. Torps have less hit% than 10, guns are useless peashooters. I can't hide, i can't torp, i can't shoot, can't spot, can't capture, i feel overwhelmingly weak in matches most of the time. So - how to play?

[CATS]
Players
26,792 posts
14,383 battles

Minekaze is the better boat, but Mutsuki is easier to play, thx to the longer torp range.

image.thumb.png.fbdd342149294067cd428f1d71975ccf.png

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20200523/eu_2month/average_ship_u.html

Camowise Mutsuki and Minekaze belong to the best in their range. There are only few faster cruisers (Emile), most of them are slower.

Radar should also be extremly rare in your Tier range.

DD play is about timing and map awareness. That applies to all DD lines.

You move forward and watch the border of your concealment and learn to expect when you get spotted or how to avoid it. Watch for planes and evade as soon as they are spotted. Do not wait until you are spotted. That is too late.

You job is to spot enemies, torp them and when possible to get capture zones, but most importantly, you job is to survive. You cannot do your job when you get sunk.

• Cool 3

Players
8 posts
620 battles

First of all, i truly appreciate your answer.

My experience so far, since your latest post:

Battle 1: Spotted by a Wisby. Met on a collision course, approx from 90 degrees - i started to evade, but it's faster than me, so, he spotted me in mere seconds. Got away, but got hit like 5 or 6 times, even with evasive maneuvers. Right after i lost contact, the CV's rocket planes attacked me. Smoke up, tried to hide. Hydro found me, got attacked, and got a second wave of rocket planes - 300HP left. Tried to hide, and disengage - rocket planes hunted me down. Bad luck, ok.
Battle 2: Rocketplanes spots me, so i fall near to the friendly cruisers to avoid beeing destroyed. After that, i had a capture, and an assisted capture, and the battle was over. 410 dmg by my spotting, 1 capture, 1 assisted capture. No cake. 
Battle 3: Lemming team. Sticks to the wall, and dies in 4 minutes. I have 2 torp hits, then stuck face to face with a fubuki and an ARP KONGO, and 3 cruisers. Fast death.

Battle 4: Got spotted by radio location, hunted down. 1 torp hit
Battlen 5: Lucky me! No CV, nice map, stupid enemy team. I have 8 torp hits, 2 kills, just barely below 80k dmg, and an assisted base capture, great win! - 4th on the XP table, got just over 1k XP. 

And that is, why I feel this a bit exhausting. Grinding over and over and over in bad matches, to play one, that's good and fun - and it's still doesn't feels rewarding. I made 40k dmg with my Königsberg with ease, and got 1.2K XP.  So - what's the point? Even with 80K damage i don't feel that i'm good in something, or that i'm useful in the game. 

[CATS]
Players
26,792 posts
14,383 battles
36 minutes ago, GregApollo said:
  1. Battle 1: Spotted by a Wisby. Met on a collision course, approx from 90 degrees - i started to evade, but it's faster than me, so, he spotted me in mere seconds. Got away, but got hit like 5 or 6 times, even with evasive maneuvers. Right after i lost contact, the CV's rocket planes attacked me. Smoke up, tried to hide. Hydro found me, got attacked, and got a second wave of rocket planes - 300HP left. Tried to hide, and disengage - rocket planes hunted me down. Bad luck, ok.
  2. Battle 2: Rocketplanes spots me, so i fall near to the friendly cruisers to avoid beeing destroyed. After that, i had a capture, and an assisted capture, and the battle was over. 410 dmg by my spotting, 1 capture, 1 assisted capture. No cake. 
  3. Battle 3: Lemming team. Sticks to the wall, and dies in 4 minutes. I have 2 torp hits, then stuck face to face with a fubuki and an ARP KONGO, and 3 cruisers. Fast death.
  4. Battle 4: Got spotted by radio location, hunted down. 1 torp hit
  5. Battlen 5: Lucky me! No CV, nice map, stupid enemy team. I have 8 torp hits, 2 kills, just barely below 80k dmg, and an assisted base capture, great win! - 4th on the XP table, got just over 1k XP.
  1. You have a spotting advantage of over 500m. When you get attacked by Visby, CV and Hydro, you were facing at least three enemies. What did you expect? No ship can take on three enemies.
  2. Try to avoid planes before they spot you.
  3. Positioning Error
  4. Radio Location does not spot you. When you can get hunted down, you were out of position.
  5. .

You can upload the replays to the forum or here https://replayswows.com/

players can then give you a more detailed feedback.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[IDDQD]
[IDDQD]
Players
335 posts
11,113 battles
Před 15 hodinami ColonelPete řekl/a:

You have a spotting advantage of over 500m.

I guess he doesnt have concealment skill, so his spot is cca 6 km. Same as Visby with 10th point captain.

Players
8 posts
620 battles

Flaky: yep,  my commander doesn't have concealment expert yet, and the visby had some painting i guess. I spotted it approximately from 5.5. 

Sign in to follow this