Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord0

Which DD line next? French or European?

69 comments in this topic

[ANV]
Players
550 posts
4,697 battles

I fancy playing and grinding some DDs next. The question is French or European? If it helps my fave DD line so far is UK. 

[ANV]
Players
550 posts
4,697 battles
13 minutes ago, Captaindanz said:

None

Why? 

[CKBK]
Players
318 posts
17,172 battles

The popularity of cvs makes french dds unplayable in most cases. eu dds are just torpedo spammers, guns are awefull, you don't have smoke or speed, for a dd its quite an easy target, and your concealment is not good enough for a torp dd.

[ANV]
Players
550 posts
4,697 battles
3 minutes ago, Captaindanz said:

The popularity of cvs makes french dds unplayable in most cases. eu dds are just torpedo spammers, guns are awefull, you don't have smoke or speed, for a dd its quite an easy target, and your concealment is not good enough for a torp dd.

How are the French guns? I prefer gunboat style DDs over torp boats

[SM0KE]
Players
5,622 posts
13,904 battles
27 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

The question is French or European?

FWIW I prefer the Ikeas, mainly because of the heal, good (for a DD) AA at higher tiers, and longer reach on the torps. Obviously though, your torp alpha is very unimpressive, so you have to focus on DoT more than with other lines.

Besides the damage saturation thing, the French have the merit of being *much* faster, have more dakka, and significantly higher alpha torps. The down-sides (IMO) include being less stealthy, and having unimpressive AA.

Bear in mind that the Ikeas at least don't really come into their own until around T7-8, again IMO. Really though, it depends on which approach gels most effectively with your preferences...

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
33 posts
13,307 battles

Hm, looking at your preferences and stats: if you have to choose between these two I would recomend EU DDs. French are hard to play (especially solo and to tier 7). EU DDs are very strong from beggining to the end and thanks to good camo they are easier to play. 

Additionally I can give you my advice: Looking at your stats You have a lot to learn and it's okay, just do not force grinding up. Use less XP signals and camos, play more games at lower tiers and watch some guides about DDs. 

[CKBK]
Players
318 posts
17,172 battles
8 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

IF you take out cvs, french dds are quite fun.

Players
6,479 posts
10,755 battles
42 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

I fancy playing and grinding some DDs next. The question is French or European? If it helps my fave DD line so far is UK.  

How about Pan Asian then? You have a smoke, that is somewhat in the same direction, the guns arent exactly as nice as UK, but instead you have more torpedo power and speed.

Seriously, playing a DD line without smoke, in the current meta (which doesnt seem to change, since spreadsheet) might be frustrating.

[ANV]
Players
550 posts
4,697 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

How about Pan Asian then? You have a smoke, that is somewhat in the same direction, the guns arent exactly as nice as UK, but instead you have more torpedo power and speed.

Seriously, playing a DD line without smoke, in the current meta (which doesnt seem to change, since spreadsheet) might be frustrating.

I thought pan Asian had been powercrept to oblivion? Plus, those DWT are a nono for me. Thanks for reply tho! 

[H_FAN]
Players
2,590 posts
41,847 battles
16 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

I thought pan Asian had been powercrept to oblivion? Plus, those DWT are a nono for me. Thanks for reply tho! 

I would say the Swedish DDs, not only because I am from Sweden but they are so different. Besides after you have played the EU DDs without smoke you will feel that the French Dds faster w worse concealment are easier to contend with.

The lack of smoke but decent AA makes the EÚ DDs good cap denial ships but not necessary the ships you use to cap at allcosts with in the beginning.

I am pretty sure now that I will play the Swedish DDs far more than the French. Full speed dakka dakka is not my style. French DDs are too big and not stealthy enough, but they look great that is for sure.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
37 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Plus, those DWT are a nono for me.

Why?

• Cool 1

Players
6,479 posts
10,755 battles
44 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

I thought pan Asian had been powercrept to oblivion?

Fushun on T6 is really good.

Gadjah Mada on T7 is on the brink of beeing OP

The T8 Hsienyang is the stinker of the line imo, one of the weakest T8 DDs.

T9 Chung Mu is really nice and im personally still a fan of the YY and field it in clanwars over other DDs (eventhough I dont have YY myself yet, but the DD players in my clan still concider her to be a strong DD, atleast in clanwars without CVs.)

[ANV]
Players
550 posts
4,697 battles
14 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

Why?

Can't torp other DDs, esp those sitting in smoke

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
1 minute ago, Lord0 said:

Can't torp other DDs, esp those sitting in smoke

True, but the guns on the PAs (with the exception of the T8) are good enough that you don't need to rely on doing that.

@ForlornSailor's review is damn accurate but he forgot to mention that the T4 is probably one of the best DDs, tier for tier, in the game. (Sorry Clemson fans - the Shenyang eats you for breakfast).

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
5,622 posts
13,904 battles
1 hour ago, Lord0 said:

I thought pan Asian had been powercrept to oblivion? Plus, those DWT are a nono for me.

It's only the T10 - I believe - that got over nerfed, but a) it's still useful in the right hands and b) there have been at least some minor buffs since. I believe the main 'problem' for WG was that she was an utter monster in Clans (in particular) because of the radar option; I still like mine for Randoms, but usually play the smoke build (radar is mainly helpful with a coordinated team).

T9 is basically a Feltcher, which is tier-for-tier still one of the better DDs in the game; T8 is (kind of - Gleaves class actually) basically a Benson which is a decent gunboat, albeit with disappointing torps, and the T7 is legendarily good. From T7-T10 the only one I don't really like is the T8 (there are several better choices in others lines)....

16 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Can't torp other DDs

I would suggest this doesn't really matter: trying to hit even a semi-competent DD with torps is a bit futile, plus T7+ (at least) generally have good enough guns that you can deal with DDs with those, not to mention the fact that your main DD killing weapon is often spotting (assuming your team actually bother to shoot at DDs that you spot). Besides all that, DWT are a major threat to everything that isn't a DD and are a good way to rack up some rather healthy damage numbers.

• Cool 3

Players
2,904 posts

heal helps the new line, also they are kinda easy to play, but whatever plagues dds hits them hard. Imo at higher tiers they are both a pain to deal in a CV. Not the best lines though

• Cool 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
2 hours ago, Lord0 said:

Neither. French can be fun and exciting to play when there are no carriers or can be reduced to long range gunnery at best when enemy CV is present. European destroyers are on other hand low impact DDs that struggle to kill stuff fast enough and can't disengage immediately should fun knob go above eleven. And then "supposed AA trait" appears only on tier 9 and 10. Even then, you need to use your AA competently, as leaving it on will result with you getting rocket smacked anyway.

Closest to UK "do it all" destroyers would be Aliexpress ones. Or USN, but then you will find lack of smoke on demand disturbing

• Cool 1

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
2 hours ago, Lord0 said:

French DD guns are extremely good, especially at tier 8 and above. You can even outgun some light cruisers with their AP shells if you use the reload booster wisely.

If you spec the Mogador and Kleber as gunboats, you will have a ton of fun. 

Well, assuming the CV will let you do so. But CVs are an issue all DDs have to face, so it's up to you in the end.

But if you like gunboat style, you can't go wrong with French DDs.

• Cool 1

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
7 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

What about Soviet or German?

Main line of "gunboats" is powercrept by French. Sidekick of "generalists" is all over the place - Ognevoi is freaky torpedobote simply because 4 guns with 5s reload doesn't cut it by tier 8 standards, Udaloi competes with Tashkent for "open water jackass" role while having ALL the consumables and is scheduled to get 10km torps as well. Grozovoi is supposed to be "gun oriented hybrid", in practice you end up with ship that leaves something to be desired on all fronts.

Germans are purposefully kept mediocre (low gun dpm, low torpedo damage, crap concealment, handle like a barge) to "balance" Hydro+Smoke combo, which can be extraordinarily annoying to deal with when trying to cap things. They are scheduled to get 1/4 HE pen, so they might get some purpose by pestering cruisers with their anemic HE. AP damage output is nothing to sneeze at though when you get opportunities to do so.

There is no other DD line that comes close to utility and versatility of UK destroyers.

• Cool 1

Players
6,479 posts
10,755 battles
8 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

I find the mid tier soviets really hard to play. you basically only have yolo torps. The low tier ones are the same but they are hillarious, since everything is slower and maps are smaller. It gets interesting on T8 when the lines split: You go down the Kiev, you have something, that is similar to the french: open water gunboats with high speed. Its fun but Khaba is overnerfed and actually inferior to Kleber. The Ognevoi to Grozovoi line is more of a traditional DD line. The heal on those DDs is really nice. I enjoy Ognevoi a lot, f.e., although she lacks gunpower. Udaloi is already much better in that sense and gets better torps with the next path (right? soon anyway).

The germans: I personally like them, they offer something different. You are a cap bully but lack gunpower / torp range. It can be a problem. However, they are imo the perfect division DDs. If you play Divis a lot, then german DDs are for you. On your spotting your cruiser can oblierate the enemy DD. Your hydro keeps your divi save(er) from torps, so pushing is easier. Oh yea, and german DDs get buffed aswell: their HE pen will be raised so you an even get good damage with HE on heavy cruisers / BBs without IFHE. will be interesting for sure.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,622 posts
13,904 battles
2 hours ago, Lord0 said:

A lot of the Russians are hard work, mainly due to relatively poor concealment, and very short-ranged torps a lot of the time. I do like the Groz (T10 on the 'all-rounder' line) though: very useful mixture of torps/dakka, fast, and she gets a heal; prior to the Ikeas, she was one of only a few DDs with respectable AA, and it still holds up (as much as any DD AA can).

Germans are, IMO, rather splendid hybrids (and the upcoming pen boost for their HE won't do any harm either) - guns/torps/concealment are generally 'good enough' at least, and they come (now from T5) with the hydro/smoke combination which can be really rather glorious if used correctly (hydro has rather longer range than that on the RN line, but doesn't last as long (premiums and keepers are worth fitting a coal hydro mod to). A minor factor to consider is that the T6 and T7 premiums (especially the former - T-61) are both excellent too.

Out of the two options, I might well go with the Germans as they're a consistent line (the Russians feel a bit disjointed to me) and there aren't any full-on stinkers to get on your wick. The low tier ones, with their forward-pointing tubes are hilarious too.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Sign in to follow this