Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
john1953

Goliath vs Venezia

19 comments in this topic

Players
83 posts

Hi. TIming has seen me accumulate XP to research both the Goliath and Venezia yesterday. Both Tiers X cruisers respectively. At present only enough silver to buy one. Which one would the community recommend? I should mention that it has taken me 25% more games played in the Italian Tier 9 (Brindisi) than the UK Tier 9 (Drake). Don't know if that is a reflection on these ships or possibly my playstyle. Views appreciated.

Cheers.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,664 battles

Venezia, without question. She's far more forgiving, more versatile, and more effective. Her faster speed makes it easier for her to reinforce flanks. Against destroyers, she's utterly OP. She can brutalize unangled cruisers and still performs OK against battleships. The Goliath and the British heavy cruiser line are just poor performers in general, failed imitations of the German cruiser line which are, themselves, of questionable quality in the current meta.

Edit: I should mention however that both of these ships are somewhat battleship-like in their impact. They're built to deal damage and provide little team utility. Better cruisers would have radar and tools like that to aid their team.

• Cool 6

[CKBK]
Players
316 posts
17,022 battles

In the current meta, Goliath has no place, even without cvs you got far better choices.
Venezia is a far better option.

• Cool 2

Players
213 posts
2,755 battles

There's a reason top tier competitive is a mix of Stalingrands and Venezias. It is just so much more capable and the high velocity SAP might as well be easy mode.

The RN CA's were as mishandled as the RN BBs, neither are rewarding lines.

• Cool 1

[-LA-]
Players
675 posts
5,042 battles

Venezia is damn near russian , the goliath is most definitely not

• Cool 2

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,664 battles
18 minutes ago, The_White_Whale said:

The RN CA's were as mishandled as the RN BBs, neither are rewarding lines.

The RN BBs actually at least function as long ranged battleship harassers and can hit cruisers for 10k from any angle. The RN CAs literally have no place in the game. They're worse HE spammers than the Germans. They're worse AP users than even ships like the DM and Henri. They are literally useless.

• Cool 2

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,664 battles
1 minute ago, Padds01 said:

Venezia is damn near russian , the goliath is most definitely not

INB4 Weegee releases a coal version of the Venezia but with radar in the Russian line. They'll nerf her AA to balans her of course. :cap_popcorn:

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
48 minutes ago, john1953 said:

Which one would the community recommend?

Is that even a question?

Venezia is one of the strongest cruisers right now. Goliath? One of if not the weakest t10 cruiser ever since its release. Just the fact that you've grinded that line makes me ask the question "why would you"

• Cool 2

[SHAD]
Players
2,566 posts
11,485 battles

Venezia. People say it’s overpowered. Few seem to like Goliath.

[SV]
Players
842 posts
12,085 battles

haha pls take goliath and i can start shooting on you with venezia ;) then we see what ship you like :D

Players
322 posts
10,898 battles

goliath would have been a good ship 2 years ago, but its very lack luster in todays meta. Where as the Venezia is the top dog cruiser wise

• Cool 1

Players
213 posts
2,755 battles
4 hours ago, dasCKD said:

They're worse AP users than even ships like the DM and Henri. They are literally useless.

The T5 Soviet 180mm cruiser has higher pen on it's AP than the Goliath, just to put how much of a mess the ship is into context.

it may be 'balanced' but for practical terms there is no reason for it to exist.

Beta Tester
547 posts
8,755 battles

I don’t even own the Venezia yet but would still take it over the Goliath in a second, the Venezia is an absolute nightmare to deal with at range and it’s SAP hits like a nuke and with it being so low in the water it’s a PITA to citadel at anything over 12km 

Sign in to follow this