Sign in to follow this  
tamagotchi

Furutaka - Am I playing it wrong or is it just bad?

20 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
124 posts
7,561 battles

Just had a few games with Furutaka, must say I really couldn't love it. It's turret turned so slow that I couldn't aim when I was turning. Japanese destryers and US battleships also have slow turning turrents, but japanese destroyers rely on torpedoes and US battleships do not have to drastically change course very often anyway. This is, however, not the case for Furutaka. As a cruiser, it relies on its maneuverability to survive, so I had to zig zag around. As a result, I ended up with only 2 guns able to fire most of the time. The guns, DPS wise, are not particular good either. Furutaka's torpedo armament might be a redeeming point since the tubes have very wide firing arc. However, the torpedoes only sail for 6 km, meaning that I often needed to ambush (which is much harder to do in a cruiser than in a destroyer...) or suicide rush (death assured). Anyway, I haven't had a good match in Furutaka so far (even in bot fight) and am still puzzled about how to get it work. So I wonder what's your opinion about this ship.

Edited by tamagotchi
  • Cool 1

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
3,802 posts
6,330 battles

It's terrible, and I say that not because she may or may not be underpowered, but because she's not fun to play at all.

There's nothing in her playstyle is fun or redeemable:

The guns are few and reload very slowly. They turn very slowly and are placed in awkward positions.She's not particularly the best in maneuverability since even battleships can turn as fast now. Her AA is bad and she doesn't even have the AA ability. Her torpedo armament is sub-par with the terrible range and only having 1 triple launcher. Even Murmansk has better range than you. What she does have however is nice HP pool so when those battleships oneshot you, they get rewarded more xp for that.

Jack of all trades? more like bad at all trades. 

I liked Aoba and I think she is not a bad ship, but many people say she is. I guess they will appreciate Aoba more after they are done with the horrible grind of Furutaka (assuming this patch didn't affect her in a bad way).

• Cool 5

[GOUF]
Beta Tester
276 posts
6,021 battles

I was going to open a post about Furutaka myself... I don't have dozens of games with her, but I really cannot get a clue on how to play it. The most "effective" way to do something that I found is to line up at 1/4 - 1/2 speed with BBs and slowly crawling around with them, even better if I manage to keep them between me and the enemy... besides, I earn so few XP per match that I'm really hexitant to push the "Battle" button once I select her in the dock.

I only hit Tier VI in the game, but I'm playing every line of both nations, and I really think that this is the most unfun ship I ever played until now. A rework for her would be really advisable, unless someone can enlight me on the proper way to deal with her (free XPing out of her excluded, I already know the option ;) )

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4 posts
818 battles

As CBT tester i must say this: worst ship in game. Ever. Hate her. Slow turret rotation, slow reload, its like BB, but without good BB's guns. Torps are not enough for tier V-VI battles, 1x3 launcher with slow reload is joke. Interrupting japanese cruiser tree now and after i get more free xp, i will skip this crap. Now i have fully upgraded furutaka with 14k xp and dont have nerves for playing it anymore. 

Edited by vandilian

Beta Tester
226 posts
8,070 battles

I play her as a kiter, the enemy sees her and happyly starts to chase down an easy target. 16 secs reload, that means enough time to preaim turrets, evade and get back all 6 turrets firing AP at anything but tier 6 us BB. the slow turret traverse is manageable with hull turns.

She is hard to play but very rewarding when those citadel hits on hostile ships come in.

Beta Tester
16 posts
803 battles

It's the worse ship I have ever played with. I remember that it didn't annoy me so much during CBT, but that was probably because I could do the exp much faster. Doesn't turn that fast, the gun traverse speed is horrific, gets a lot of module damage and one out of 3 HE shells that I get set me on fire. Damage would be ok if it had more DPM but shooting once every 17 seconds is ridiculous. Also the range of the guns is too low.

Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,900 battles

Like I just said in that other Furutaka thread that is right there on the first page, I've had some difficulties getting wins with her.

wrmfpt.jpg

But regardless of the horrible winrate, I have had decent battles in her. 49k average damage is good in my books ('cos I'm a scrub). Torpedo hit ratio of 18% is good. Main battery hit ratio of 51% is excellent! :)

So ship itself seems to be very good and I have enjoyed the battles. But winning with her seems darn hard (for me). :D

It's the worse ship I have ever played with. I remember that it didn't annoy me so much during CBT, but that was probably because I could do the exp much faster.

Was she in the CBT? There was an gap in the IJN CA line and I think it was tier 5 that was missing. So we went from kuma to Aoba?

Edited by YukiEiriKun

[DUXTR]
Players
52 posts
3,929 battles

Was she in the CBT? There was an gap in the IJN CA line and I think it was tier 5 that was missing. So we went from kuma to Aoba?

It was implemented a few weeks before OBT, cant say the exact time, but it was definitely there. By that time i was way ahead tho, so i didnt bother trying it thinking "i will have to do it eventually". And here we are :D

[THROW]
Beta Tester
69 posts
18,018 battles

Well I'm currently grinding the furutaka at the monent & all the advice I can give is load ap shells for cruisers & he  for everything else,also rather than try  to wait for your turrets to come onto the target turn the ship instead.Another thing I have found is try to keep the bow of your ship facing the enemy as the furutaka seems very prone to getting her engine & rudder knocked out alot in my expierence don't know how it is for others.

Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,900 battles

It was implemented a few weeks before OBT, cant say the exact time, but it was definitely there. By that time i was way ahead tho, so i didnt bother trying it thinking "i will have to do it eventually". And here we are :D

I think that it was that 0.4.0 update week before OBT soft launch?

Or during that 0.4.0 test weekend (that I completely missed).

No wonder I had no recollection whatsoever of her. :D

Beta Tester
16 posts
803 battles

Yes, for a brief period before the start of the OBT. The only reason people didn't play with her is that by the time WG introduced it, all the people that wanted to play IJN cruisers were already way past that tier. I started to play IJN cruisers because when I got to the US tier 7 cruiser half the games I got into were against tier 9s and 10s for some reason.

Weekend Tester
1,056 posts
26,048 battles

Yes. And no.

Learn how to aim, use AP and shred pretty much everything but battle boats. 203mm guns at tier 5 ?? Yes, please. The stupid HE spam rapidfire they teach you at tier 4 Kuma is not the general way cruisers work. If you need that to be successful, get a Kuma, Mogami, Cleveland, or buy an Atlanta. Everything else in both trees is quality shots over quantity.

And although cruiser torps get a better range later, you are not a destroyer. Sometimes, you can lay traps or will encounter a ship coming from around a corner. Great to have them then. Apart from that, your job is primarily destroyer hunting - with guns.

And as with all ships, get the upgrades. The 2nd gun helps a lot.

[BLOBS]
Beta Tester
5,161 posts
11,629 battles

Yes. And no.

Learn how to aim, use AP and shred pretty much everything but battle boats. 203mm guns at tier 5 ?? Yes, please. The stupid HE spam rapidfire they teach you at tier 4 Kuma is not the general way cruisers work. If you need that to be successful, get a Kuma, Mogami, Cleveland, or buy an Atlanta. Everything else in both trees is quality shots over quantity.

And although cruiser torps get a better range later, you are not a destroyer. Sometimes, you can lay traps or will encounter a ship coming from around a corner. Great to have them then. Apart from that, your job is primarily destroyer hunting - with guns.

And as with all ships, get the upgrades. The 2nd gun helps a lot.

The problem is to get the AP working you need to hit broadsides and its prim Oponents Omaha and Phenix will never give you the broadsides if they have  half a brain. You will get shreded to bits since it dont have amor either by 155mm Ap crits or just be burned over by HE- IT Works if its not the primary target but then its so flimsy and to shoot with it forces you to not to maneuver so most of the time you get shot at anyway since you are a way easyer target than a kuma, omaha murmansk phenix of god beware cleaveland or aoba. its just a bad ship they should have used  They just should have used the Agano class Light cruisers instead that would have been way better.

cya

Spellfire40

[TACHA]
Players
1,308 posts
13,346 battles

I thought I was becoming brilliant when I killed or part killed three of these in my St Louis - but have now realised that they are clearly very difficult to play!

Players
1 post
9,640 battles

This ship sucks. There is nothing good about it, bad rate of fire. AA  sucks, torps are nothing special, and you are constantly on fire. As soon as i get enough for Aoba its going to scrapyard.

Oh, and if you see Omaha coming for you, run for you life.

Edited by FlyingBrix

Players
1 post

I'm a total WOWS noob but I too feel that the balance on certain ships is totally whack... For example the St. Louis seems totally OP compared to the same-tier BBs (or even a few tiers higher). 

In short: you can really tell that the game was made by the same people that though the SU-26 was balanced for 2 years. ;-)

It's still fun though but I do hope they will be a bit faster on the balancing then in WOT. 

Beta Tester
138 posts
2,079 battles

The Furutaka is a one show wonder. It´s 203´s can make minced meat out of pretty much any cruiser it encounters, but that is difficult to achieve and she pretty much suck at anything else. At short range she can be dangerous to low tier battleships as you can citadell them with AP, but that BB better be shooting at someone else than you or you´re dead before you know what hit you.

I´ve had some great games is the Furutaka, killing both DD´s CA´s and even a BB in one single game. But that required being in the right place at the right time pretty much constantly. Most games are simply a pain in the [edited]with this thing. The sad part is that it´s pretty much just the turret traverse that kills her. If they reduced the traverse time by 30%, she´d be a much more enjoyable ship to play.

Beta Tester
304 posts
2,139 battles

Yes, you are playing it wrong.

You do not play it like a cruiser. You play it like a battleship.

Now, that doesn't mean you play it like a retarded coward border humping and taking the longest way round the map possible, but I can see how you could get confused watching most battleship players play. No, how you play is you use your speed to keep up with another cruiser and you keep that cruiser between you and the enemy. This results in the enemy facing a ship that can rain down fire and a ship that can pack a big punch. Chances are they will underestimate you and ignore you in favour of attacking the other ship.

Do this and you will see that the Furutaka is a decent ship. Its hard to play, but its a ship killer if you use AP properly.

Sign in to follow this