You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NobleSauvage

Eventful Retrospection

31 comments in this topic

Players
724 posts

Hi all,

As Russian Cruisers is getting towards the end (for now...), I thought it would be fun to ask people's takes on the events we've had recently and the ships that have been gotten therefrom. As I'm sure it would be a whole other discussion if we got into the unfortunate double-entendre that is the 'PR fiasco', let's start with the RN heavy cruisers event and go on from there. Feel free to mention any of the 'mini' events in between the headlining ones if they took your fancy. One more stipulation for the discussion: true OGs should be able to reply without once referring to 'RNG', just to keep things interesting:Smile_trollface:

So, my impressions: for RN Heavies 1 I wasn't too impressed with the (um, let's say...) distribution of prize ships, but I ended up with Devonshire at the end. Gotta say, I really like Devo; she actually seems to me like everything a County-class should be, stately and unhurried and rather adorably clunky. I got hold of Pensacola a little while afterward which is also a lot of fun, but it seems to me that while Pensa has a whole lot of firepower, Devo has a whole lot of ship, so they're probably about equal in my affections. Except of course Devo has a free permaflage from the event, even if it's rather garish and hilariously historically inaccurate (someone graffiti'd 'Royal Navy' over the arse-end of my ship). I didn't get hold of Hawkins during the event itself but unlocking her from Danae wasn't a problem; sadly, it seems that all the charm that Devo has seems to have skipped T5 completely, which is a real shame for me as I love owning one of the class of original prototype Treaty-cruisers, her game performance just never seems to measure up...

As a brief interlude, I believe that the Arpeggio of Blue Steel recap event happened around the turn of RN heavies 1 and 2 (can't really be bothered to go to the effort of looking it up, so if not let's just pretend): Best. Event. Ever. None of the horrible directive grinds or tokens nonsense, just a short series of combat missions unlocked one after the other with some sensible objectives, and at the end of it I'm left with five fabulous weabote waifus (although it's a good thing I already liked Kongo!). NEON! Next time Takao plz.

RN Heavies 2: some folks might well have opinions about the hassle of getting hold of Cunningham and such, but all I was interested with this one was getting the London, which was just a matter of completing all the directives (although pretty sure I noticed some lazy objectives in there that were just recycled from the ARP event with an arbitrary extra amount tacked on, like gathering certain amounts of Commander XP or money or what have you; that only seemed to crop up more later on). London seems to me like a cross between Devo and Leander in a lot of ways, being a heavy cruiser with smoke for one (so I can call her 'Smoggy' or 'Ol' Pea-Souper' :Smile_teethhappy:), but also having such a bizarrely short main battery range: for me, she doesn't ever quite measure up to either, although still fun enough for Ops and such (and nowhere near as disappointing as the Hawk). Permaflage for free again, no 'fiti this time, but even better there was a proper camo scheme for her as well!

I think the rent-a-Perth event for Australia Day might have happened around this point (I'd check when Australia Day is to cross-reference, but all of the sources are upside-down:dance_turtle:), which was fine; didn't win a Perth, but was fun mucking about in her for a couple of days.

Euro DDs the First: ahh, how I now miss those days when I could rely on an average of around 30 tokens per crate. This one was interesting for me, as I went into it with the standard 'how stupid, these destroyers don't even have smoke' mindset (as someone who was rather lukewarm on destroyers to begin with and having been forced to pick up Acasta and Nicholas to complete RNHC2 type-specific directives, oh yeah, should have mentioned that those were pretty dumb given that you were essentially forced to grind at least two different types per directive, preferably three; bad luck all those mono-type mains out there). Then I got hold of Visby, and... Had a lot of fun, annoyingly. So much so that I ground my way through to get the permaflage (in Co-op no less, something 12,000 base XP I think it was...), and did everything I could to get the Västerås (pronounced 'Vaster Arse' :Smile_trollface:). Which of course I only managed when there wasn't enough time left to get her permaflage. Still fun to play though, as long as you never overestimate the damage-causing capability of the torpedoes (I think they forgot to mount the warheads; easily done, I always seem to have stuff left over when I put together Ikea furniture as well)...

Then April Fools turned up, it was really meta as the joke was that (going completely against convention, so it's funny) WG weren't going to bother with doing a proper April Fools this year, right, and certainly not for anyone who didn't want to play T10. A masterful deconstruction of expectations (with a wrecking ball).

Then, Euro DDs the Second. Which was an actual event, and not just a retread of the optional part of RNHC2. You could get the Euro DDs from the tech tree (which you still can now, so Euro DDs 2 will never die), and I got the Gryf for free, which was great as I really wanted a) Tátra and b) a free port slot to put Tátra in (Kaiserliche und königliche Kriegsmarine fan). Also, and I cannot stress this enough (because frankly where would I start, or stop): Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz. Scrabble will never be the same again...

And you know what happened then? WG foolishly gave me Master of Orion for free, and much time was lost to strategy gaming that might have gone on WoWs. Although I'm mostly better now, mostly.

And now we have Balans Soviet Cruisers 1, which has set a new standard (of 5 tokens per container, virtually every time). Actually got my Mikoyan a couple of days ago, fortunately it's a premium so I don't need to somehow scrape together enough SovTokens to afford the permaflage separately. As for the ship itself, it kinda seems like the balancing was done with a seesaw: powerful guns, so let's give her hardly any of them with a lengthy reload; good speed and rudder turn time, so let's make her turning circle massive; obviously still more powerful than the other heavy cruisers at same tier, so let's make her torp range a joke and strip off any hull plating thicker than a tinfoil takeaway container. I've played RPGs (proper tabletop ones as well as on the PC), wargames (with real tiny plastic-and-metal men because I'm just that cool) and strategy games (the kind where the manual was basically a hardback), so I've come across various different methods of balancing game pieces before now; never been a fan of balancing by extremes though. I have a sneaking suspicion that once I've rung all the SovTokens I can out of her, she'll be demoted to full-time Port Queen. Out of interest, has anyone even been able to play the Talin or Rrigga?

Quick mentions: the Great White Fleet event didn't do much for me, although the Bad Advice collection was not only quite fun but also actually quite well implemented (1:1 exchange rate of duplicates for missing collection items was brilliant). Looking forward to there being a Warhammer 40,000 event in general terms, but not anticipating my having much interest in the stuff that's been publicised so far. Glancing over the news articles going back to February as I wrote this, there were two articles in that timeframe urging you to Claim Your Compensation for (some of) the server outages, although you still had to opt in...

...But I've gone on long enough. What are you folks' thoughts?

• Cool 6

[SHAFT]
Players
9,797 posts
8,977 battles
37 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

I mostly dont bother with it anymore tbh. Its a huge "waste" of time for some ships i dont need to play (or want to play in the first place), which i could use freeXP on which i can gather by playing ships i enjoy.

That being said:

- Got Hawkins from first RN CA part. Meh, played it once, felt like utter garbage. FreeXPed to T6, sits in port now.

- Did the ARP stuff, for which i got credits (i already had all of them)

- 2nd RN CA part i ignored. Yeah, didnt get London, but thats not a big deal. Just didnt feel like playing to get even started on the missions.

- EU DDs was pretty BS for me. I actually got T5+6 by just playing. Then i thought "i could make the T7 with small effort". So in the end, i had 590 tokens, 10 short. And no way im gonna pay 1000 dubs to get those tokens.

- Russian cruisers: Got Miko (by luck with 300 tokens at the start) and the Tallinn Permacamo. Then i thought: I could get Tallinn, but id just play Coop to do that stuff. Then i figured, its not worth my time. I have >50% of the XP needed on Shchors IIRC, so i can just use FreeXP which is way easier.

• Cool 4

[-TPF-]
Players
3,904 posts
16,083 battles

RN Cruisers. 

Got the Albemarle as early access.  And the permacamo. I like the Permacamo. 

Got London from the Directives. Don't like it as much as Devonshire, but it's a good knife-fighter for ops. More Permacamos. Yes. 

I wish Cheshire had been better and less "will this do?".  Albemarle with slightly bigger guns. Nope. 

I wish the Surrey model was less "will this do"? Oversized superstructure, Director tower, Hawkins hull. Masts which appear to be 200ft high. Nope, nope, nope. 

Andrew Cunningham - yes, but I'm not sure why a man who captained destroyers and BBs is best suited to a CV.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel:

Shouty Teddy Captain is hilarious! 

I don't really want 4 x Kongo but a neon pink Myoko is good fun. It now has a very serious IJN Captain who looks displeased with his frivolous ship and this makes me happy.

Euro DDs:

Visby + Permacamo was good fun, but I didn't get anywhere else with the event.

Didn't like the random boxes. 

Didn't like the Campaign.

Don't really like the ship line. Onwards!

Soviet Cruisers:

Seems fair. Got the Mikoyan. Inferior to Kirov in every way, but has character.

Used it to get the Tallinn - good ship, and fabulous permacamo. My favourite camouflage in the game. 

Best thing from the last few months: Cap

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,317 posts
10,104 battles
25 minutes ago, Europizza said:

Cant be arsed.

Same.

I lol each time I see a post on discord or the forum about "early access event" or "token this" and "token that". F k that. 

• Cool 8

Beta Tester
1,486 posts
17,334 battles

I recall how eager I was to complete all missions for afaik our first reward ship Kamikaze R. Also Graf Spee made me play mission oriented.

Nowadays I usually deal with missions, directives, and reward ships in two ways: Either I casually play and only focus on finishing them when I get close to the end or I use them as a challenge to see if and how fast I can finish them. E.g. the "Lucky Point" combat mission reqiured 500 hits by main or secondary batteries. So I took Smolensk to co-op in order to do this in one go (co-op because I don't want to be responsible for the tears of BBabys not being able to deal with the constant shelling). Got 501 hits which gave me some satisfaction. The rental Kaga was a welcomed gift so I can better study her strengths and weaknesses.

If I miss out on something it doesn't upset me.

• Cool 1

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
13,574 battles

Well,

Royal Navy CA's:  got the Hawkins ( citfest, capt holder) and the Devonshire( I l liked,  played a LOT of KW with her) with the camos, so when the time had come I just pushed the button for the Surrey. Ouch. I didn't get over her until yesterday (yep Narai)

ARP event: Yep I got all of them. Until recently I didn't played Myoko. I wasn't a fan of the line At all. Then again Narai aand... there is doing gitgud. I started to continue the grind of the IJN Ca's because of this. Still not of a fan of the likes of Aoba.

London, yes. Playing , no not really.There are much better T6 cruisers out there. Or I like them more.

Eu dd's...erm.... I'm REALLY not a fan of them I've got T5,6,7. With much chagrin I got the camos for them. Sold them instantly after that.:) Except... the Tatra. I''m HU from Ro

so for me was kinda mandatory to have her in port, with the proper flag on her.

Erm...Tokenistan? Well ...I got the MiG and the permacamo for Tallinn. I could have( still can) get the Tallinn buut I prefer 9 days of premium instead . I have 190 k on the Shchors so.... again just a matter of pushing the button.  With the camo it will be kinda easy to grind her.Although I do have to resist the urge to get her.

Moskva already in port. Kirov ditto Xp prepared on the Svietlana ( don't laugh!) 80 k on the Donskoy( ouch!!) 230 K FXP at the ready so....

But Wg not compensating for Moskva's camo? VERY very bad. I mean I don't have it but....come on WeeGee. Just.... why?It seems like they are actually try to make a point on how to piss off the player base on a regular basis. Like a sport or something...

Subs: to be honest I liked the ASW part. I still do. I have the flags from the PTS. Leander is king for that.  But to play them here? Thanks but, no thanks :) It was bad enough the mandatory 10 battles on the PTS .Well the event is kinda good to grind t6 so ...yes Aoba :)

• Cool 2

[BATES]
Players
708 posts
10,392 battles
8 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Same.

I lol each time I see a post on discord or the forum about "early access event" or "token this" and "token that". F k that. 

This. 

Rng in events is a total nonsense. 

You cannot plan how much tokens you could obtain (if I play all the days I pick x from daily missions, if I follow Twitch there are y, if I complete all the directives z) and this is very annoying.

Putting mandatory objects to take in specific order leaves us also the chance to aim to a target in armory, and also this is very annoying.

In few words, F*k this s*it

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,051 posts
10,735 battles

I don't play cruisers which don't have smoke outside of co-op or operations (ha! remember them?!) so I'm not actively pursuing these Soviet paper ships.  

I am mildly miffed that the Soviet event is going full blast and D-Day anniversary has passed without any mention that I've seen.

I'm just back to grinding through the RN DD line for the umpteenth time for Research Bureau points.

Players
127 posts
9,929 battles

RN Heavy Cruisers pt1: got the early access mission for Hawkins. I didn't enjoy the ship so only yesterday did I unlock Devonshire, which I plan to grind during the Submarine event. Used the tokens to buy some flags and premium.

RN Heavy Cruisers pt2: I unlocked London and played a couple of games, but that ship basically ended up a port queen. Couldn't get Cunningham.

ARP Event: I already had all the ships and captains involved, but the cash was welcome. I am hoping for a follow up to get the Nachi, the one cruiser I couldn't get 3 years ago.

EU DDs pt1: unlocked T5 and T6

EU DDs pt2: I am grinding the Campaign but not really enjoying it, since many missions require European destroyers tier8+, which I do not have. I actually bought Friesland for this campaign. Furthermore, I am lazy by nature and I do not usually change the campaign mission to suit the ships I play.

Russian Cruisers (pt.1?): I got a 300token drop this week so I unlocked Mikoyan and I am playing it for the extra tokens and handful of specific missions. I have just completed the Directive and gathered just about every container available, and with all (sic!) those tokens I was able to get Tallin permacammo and another 3 days worth of premium.

I played Dimitri Donskoi like crazy during the past months to unlock Moskva.

And now for some subjective criticism and a little conspiracy theory:

> I do not particularly enjoy Meh-Ships like Genova and Mikoyan that you need to play afterwards for dedicated missions

> the relative value of specific token seems to vary from event to event, as do the container drops. I know this may be like looking the gift horse in the mouth, but I have the distinct feeling that the rewards for the current Soviet Cruisers event were lower than the ones for past events. 

• Cool 2

[PASOK]
Players
135 posts
1,289 battles

I used 5000 doubloons for the Russian cruisers split GAMLE MINI GAME, got lucky and received the 700 tokens bundle. along with other missions after I spent the 7 co-op battles playing with paper ship Mikoyan (that was tense, tbh) got my 84 tokens and barely managed to get tallin with its camo.

The soviet mission drop was too cheep stake for me giving me 5 tokens per container.

the last 13 containers gave me the most generous amount of tokens... Surprise m/f!!!! (Sgt Doaks :Smile-_tongue:)

Spoiler

Screenshot_11.thumb.png.1b2fda251c364d1cf7d70a3ccf8f2bc9.png

So, this is a new trend that we finance the ships to come in a free to play game. I would preferred them premium not in a tier tree. it is much honest.....

My 2 cents...

[SONLY]
Beta Tester
68 posts
8,107 battles

I kinda like the directives as an in game goal. And getting some free stuff is nice. But all the token nonesense doesn't do anything for me. I especially do not get their early access scheme in terms of making money of it? Why would I spend actual money to get something I can just get for free a month later? If I even care to get those new ships as well. :) And spending money means you even have to deal with lootboxes. Wtf WG.

Considering that they keep doing these events, I guess people are actually buying into this crap? Thats just the weirdest thing to me. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
725 posts
12,130 battles

I do not play much so I do not pay any attention.

I will buy the German CVs if given the occasion, if I will not have to get lucky to get them.

The lines that had been introduced are not my cup of tea, and I love different kinds of tea :D

Players
7,028 posts
245 battles
10 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Same.

If we are lucky maybe they can implement a token system for battles like that funny battle royal game that came back recently...:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[RRVK]
Players
31 posts
9,682 battles
13 hours ago, NobleSauvage said:

Excellent run down of the recent events...

I got the Hawkins but rather quickly lost interest in the RN1 event and did not play much. I more or less sat out the ARP event and only returned to playing the RN2 event and got the London - but not Cunningham.

I was quite sceptic about the EU DD event because my experience with the "smoke-less" French DDs was awful. However, I was surprised to find that the Visby was a lot of fun and so I kept at it and managed to also get the Västerås and their permacamos. Both ships are fun once you learn to allow for the damage potential (or lack thereof) of the torpedos.

The April Fools event went right over my head, because it was limited to tier 10 ships.

I am still somewhat grinding some of the EU DD 2 event and I might get the Polish commander "Grefbsdæovsoiu.hsdnofsgfsiff" or whatever he is called. 

The Soviet CA1 event is nearly finished and I am not quite certain about how I feel.

On a positive note, I was fortunate to get a 300 crate in the first directive - thus getting the Miko and the 4 * 105 tokens from those missions. I also thank WG on behalf of my clan for all of those crates I have opened - each yilding 10 oil.

On a negative note, the sheer number of 5 crates has been overwhelming and a little bit discouraging - maybe even demoralising.

WG should consider tweaking the psychology of such events by lowering the number of 5 crates and upping the number of 10 crates while increasing the price tag of the Miko to 400 or more. That way I would feel "sad" at getting the odd 5 crate "once in awhile" - but happy to get a 10 crate, because at least it wasn't a 5. WG might also save themselves some grief from players commenting on the massive number of 5 crates.

IMO the best events this Spring have been the KOTS collection, and I very much look forward to the next installment. The  Bad Advice "Cap" event was also a lot of fun - most of those vids were truly spectacular.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,140 posts
10,735 battles
13 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

I mostly dont bother with it anymore tbh. Its a huge "waste" of time for some ships i dont need to play (or want to play in the first place), which i could use freeXP on which i can gather by playing ships i enjoy.

That being said:

- Got Hawkins from first RN CA part. Meh, played it once, felt like utter garbage. FreeXPed to T6, sits in port now.

- Did the ARP stuff, for which i got credits (i already had all of them)

- 2nd RN CA part i ignored. Yeah, didnt get London, but thats not a big deal. Just didnt feel like playing to get even started on the missions.

- EU DDs was pretty BS for me. I actually got T5+6 by just playing. Then i thought "i could make the T7 with small effort". So in the end, i had 590 tokens, 10 short. And no way im gonna pay 1000 dubs to get those tokens.

- Russian cruisers: Got Miko (by luck with 300 tokens at the start) and the Tallinn Permacamo. Then i thought: I could get Tallinn, but id just play Coop to do that stuff. Then i figured, its not worth my time. I have >50% of the XP needed on Shchors IIRC, so i can just use FreeXP which is way easier.

I got Hawkins  and Devonshire, only by luck, 4th bundle , never played Hawkins

Don't have any of the Arp Ships, i miss it  and when i realized i didn't bother with them

I have London and i like to think it's my budget Belfast but i don't play much, a battle here and there

Eu DD, only Friesland, I'm gonna get it when i have enough for Alaska too.

Russian Cruisers i got 10 tokens (i was playing Crossout) and i think i have enough XP in the Shchors to unlock the new t8 CL and  newT8 CA at once

yeah, but things are kinda slow for me now.

early acess? why? if i can wait for them when they are released in the tech tree.

RN CA teach me that

[I-J-N]
Players
4,547 posts

I'm paying attention to the directives, but not jumping thru any loops over it. It's clear I'm not going to have tokens for any more of the early access ships anyway, so there is little incentive for me to go to too much bother over this.

[MAS-X]
Players
383 posts
9,115 battles

my opinion was, and still is, that this event was quite bad, and looked like a cheap excuse to make money with tokens

gaining 300 tokens from one container is very very rare

the first 2 things you can unlock for this tokens are a tier V cruiser that's much weaker than the kirov, and a second, special permanent camo for it that have the same bonus of the camo you unlock with the cruiser...

so in the end what me and most of the people will gain from this event? 

a ship that we will never use unless we don't have the kirov (that will soon become a premium) 

much better use this tokens for consumables or premium time

• Cool 2

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
719 posts
13,574 battles
6 hours ago, CptBarney said:

If we are lucky maybe they can implement a token system for battles like that funny battle royal game that came back recently...:Smile_trollface:

Hmm...... I think you are talking about this...

• Cool 1

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
345 posts
7,018 battles

I came back to the game around 2 months ago and I did not participate in the RN cruiser, arp and eur dd events.

As for the Soviet cruisers, I finished the directives and other mission, however I only got enough tokens to unlock the Mickey Mouse and the Tallinn perma camo. I would require 300 more tokens to unlock it. I think WeeGee could have been more generous and give players enough tokes through the directives to also unlock the Tallinn.

• Cool 1

Players
7,028 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, Andrewbassg said:

Hmm...... I think you are talking about this...

oh dat.

i was thinking of dis.

The culling you don't have to watch it (if you do watch the volume as angry joe does screech quite a bit in this, but for good reason).

• Funny 1

Players
1,512 posts
7,079 battles

This event was stingier in additional stuff, but ok in terms of ships.

In previous events I got a tech tree T5 or T6, a T5 premium, a T8 perma camo and a lot of free camos and other stuff.

This time I got the T8 perma camo, the T5 premium, much less one use camos and other stuff, and no tech tree ship. The tech tree ship was kinda ok, as it's a T8 now, and I could have gotten it with the 300 token haul, that about 30% in the forum poll was lucky to receive. Also the directive mission requirements for the dragon flags were too high, like 2200+ base XP (and there was a 2500+ or 2600+ one, too) and the 215000+ DMG. It's ok to put those in a 6 month campaign, but for a few weeks, it's not ok. And it's only a few flags.

[NECRO]
Players
497 posts

Did never care much for events, especially those that require playing certain classes or doing uninspiring grinds. I remember getting the Genova and selling her immediately, but retaining the Montebroccoli for fun. Got the Mik now and dunno if I want to keep her, though I have some of the non-paper RU ships - so I would not need to train a captain for that glass cannon. Got coal for sub tokens, which is fine because this does not depend on me actually playing that stupid sub battles after I peeped into those and thought DEAR GAWD, NO NEVER.

Players
724 posts

Please excuse the vanity bump, but I'm just curious: now that there's no gainful reason to do so as there are no more SovTokens to be earned with her, who's actually still playing the Mikoyan? Pretty much the best I can personally say about her is that she's helped me consider the Hawkins in a better light recently...

• Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,904 posts
16,083 battles

Mikoyan, like Genova, is a quirky glass cannon boat. Capable of dealing loads of damage and completely incapable of taking any. That's something worth having in port, I'll take it out from time to time.

• Cool 1