Planned Server Restart 23.06.2021 at 04:00 UTC (no downtime) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
waxx25

The way Italians smoke.

17 comments in this topic

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Disclaimer: I am "new" to ships again so this my have been covered.

I started grinding the Italians after hearing Venezia is quite good with its SAP ammo.  I am now at tier 5 and I must say, these ships are very nice. The ability of SAP to smash enemy cruisers and DD's is almost broken imo. (It does multiple citadels to a CA and pops DD's for half their HP) its Smoke is AMAZING! Being able to go invisible at full speed (your friends too if close to you) is OP though, allowing you to 1. Yolo a BB for that juicy torp to the face 2. Cross open areas while engaging enemiesn 3. Instantly disengage when you bite off more than you can chew. 

The Italian smoke system is my new favorite, i find it very OP but hey its in the game.

Overall the cruisers seem ok, good turning and acceleration, armor holds better than the russians/japanese (so far at least, i will see at higher tiers lol.

(Also played a match with my friend in his Venezia and I am sold, the ship is what the Zao used to be in 2016 +active smoke and the ability to stealth torp and better camo and speed......lol WG bit of a power creep. (Makes me look at my Henry in Port

[RO-RN]
Players
987 posts
14,018 battles

Wait till they nerf those italian cruisers. Only USA and USSR cruisers are allowed to be great/OP/broken but others? Nah lest nerf henri 4 again and give des moines 32 mm belts all around...wait....you know what just give it 35mm this way shikishima will have a purpose. 

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
28 minutes ago, waxx25 said:

Being able to go invisible at full speed (your friends too if close to you) is OP though, allowing you to 1. Yolo a BB for that juicy torp to the face 2. Cross open areas while engaging enemies 3. Instantly disengage when you bite off more than you can chew. 

The smoke only works as long as someone else spots for you and you remember of your smoke-firing concealment range.

There's no fail quite like starting to turn out, smoking up and.. .remaining visible because someone's "too close" to you. Or firing while "yoloing" someone just to have them spot you now. Or to lose sight of everyone as soon as you pop your smoke. Plenty of ways to screw up.

Imo the only part broken on the RM CAs (excluding sAP) is their turning. That's way too fast and way too tight.

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
45 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

The smoke only works as long as someone else spots for you and you remember of your smoke-firing concealment range.

There's no fail quite like starting to turn out, smoking up and.. .remaining visible because someone's "too close" to you. Or firing while "yoloing" someone just to have them spot you now. Or to lose sight of everyone as soon as you pop your smoke. Plenty of ways to screw up.

Imo the only part broken on the RM CAs (excluding sAP) is their turning. That's way too fast and way too tight.

There is no fix for stupid. (Not aimed at you but at people that would do those things, understanding game mechanics is 90% of this game, 9% is RNG and 1% skill :) )

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,156 posts
15,571 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I tend to agree. 

I think Venezia could have its manoeuvrability reduced somewhat. imo it has too much going for it.

Small disclaimer of my own, I'm still on Trento. But I've seen and fought crazy amounts of Venezia in CBs. 

[LEEUW]
Players
3,160 posts
10,750 battles
3 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

Small disclaimer of my own, I'm still on Trento.

Personally, the Trento and Zara are the worst ships I've grinded in the game. Actually skipped the rest of the Zara grind with fxp because I got fed up. 

And that for someone who grinded through old pre-buff Pensacola...... 

[R3B3L]
Players
564 posts
14,843 battles
15 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Personally, the Trento and Zara are the worst ships I've grinded in the game. Actually skipped the rest of the Zara grind with fxp because I got fed up. 

Trento is a horrible ship, but Zara is nice...

[BODEM]
Players
803 posts
7,332 battles
2 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I kinda like all the Italian cruisers. There isn't 1 that was bad or I couldn't find my sweet spots with. Imo the Italian cruiser line it the most equal line through the tiers. All heavily armored, quickturning CAs with good striking power and accuracy.

• Funny 2

[OZYR]
[OZYR]
Players
833 posts
16,213 battles
1 hour ago, FukushuNL said:

All heavily armored, quickturning CAs with good striking power and accuracy.

OMG THAT was just pure golden....

• Boring 1

Players
128 posts
10,051 battles

I am currently grinding the Amalfi and I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes she's great, but if there is a CV in game (God forbid, tier10!!) I  struggle with her, due to relative low range, poor AA and lack of a heal. However she is still a huge improvement over something like Trento.

Venetzia is very annoying to deal with due to that insane maneuverability, especially in low DPM BBs like Georgia. I received volleys of 15-20k damage from it.

Beta Tester
5,762 posts
22,561 battles

From what I've seen during my holiday trips to Sardinia - which isn't really italy, because, Sardinia, but there's a few italians around there, too - it seems to me that italians don't smoke any different than all the other folks from the different countries of the world... except for russians with their strange grip on those horrible papyrossa cigarettes...

• Funny 1

Players
10,383 posts
12,044 battles
10 hours ago, Danucu_Tigger said:

I am currently grinding the Amalfi and I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes she's great, but if there is a CV in game (God forbid, tier10!!) I  struggle with her, due to relative low range, poor AA and lack of a heal. However she is still a huge improvement over something like Trento.

Venetzia is very annoying to deal with due to that insane maneuverability, especially in low DPM BBs like Georgia. I received volleys of 15-20k damage from it.

Venezia turns "insane" for ship of her size, but in terms of numbers, she is, unexpectedly, worse than Amalfi.

Venezia also for some glorious reason sits very low in water AND have icebreaker bow/stern unlike previous ships of the line

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
23 hours ago, B051LjKo said:

Trento is a horrible ship, but Zara is nice...

At the Trento now, not a bad ship at all.

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,838 battles
23 hours ago, Miragetank90 said:

I think Venezia could have its manoeuvrability reduced somewhat. imo it has too much going for it.

I must admit, it will be sad to see that happen thought it might be needed. It has been so long since I fell in love with a ship. Though again, I would prefer to see other cruisers improved :P

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,838 battles
On 6/6/2020 at 11:16 PM, waxx25 said:

I started grinding the Italians after hearing Venezia is quite good with its SAP ammo.  I am now at tier 5 and I must say, these ships are very nice. The ability of SAP to smash enemy cruisers and DD's is almost broken imo. (It does multiple citadels to a CA and pops DD's for half their HP)

It doesn't hit the citadels of any cruisers in its range, but with how much damage SAP does the difference is academic.

its Smoke is AMAZING! Being able to go invisible at full speed (your friends too if close to you) is OP though, allowing you to 1. Yolo a BB for that juicy torp to the face 2. Cross open areas while engaging enemiesn 3. Instantly disengage when you bite off more than you can chew. 

It is pretty nice. It should be said though that the torpedo damage that the Venezia does is quite limited and you won't even be sinking cruisers with one broadside at higher tiers.

Overall the cruisers seem ok, good turning and acceleration, armor holds better than the russians/japanese (so far at least, i will see at higher tiers lol.

As long as you turn, the armor on the high tiered armor on the Italians (with an exception of the Brindisi funnily enough) is amazing thanks to both technical thickness and spaced armor that means that even small amounts of angling can prevent citadel hits where they'll be all but guaranteed to hit on other cruisers. That, combined with the Venezia's massively improved SAP angles makes her one of the most amazing tier X cruisers ever. At long ranges, the shells are basically HE shells that do AP level damage. At close ranges, her AP is pretty juicy. Overall, the top three ships of the Italian crown are just amazing.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this