Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
callumwaw

Is there a list of words that are forbidden in chat?

20 comments in this topic

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
114 posts
11,099 battles

Is there a list of words that are forbidden in chat and will get you banned from chat if you use them? 

It's clear that strong swearwords, like "f*cking...", are forbidden. But what if I say "effing" or "flipping..." etc.?  Is "damned" considered a swearword? Do I get banned for saying "bloody hell"? 

I've tried (and failed) to find an answer to this question on the forum, and apparently a guy was banned from chat for calling someone "incompetent". C'mon, that's a little over the top, isn't it?

What if instead of "for f*cks sake" I write "ffs"?   Can they ban for this? This could just as well stand for "for flip's sake", so they surely can't, can they?

My point is, I recently got banned from chat, but I can put my hand on my heart and swear I don't remember using any swearwords at all. I suppose I did use "ffs". On the other hand, there was this guy on the team, a proper homophobic racist pig, who kept insulting others and got reported by several players, but a day later I happened to have him on my team again and he was still active in the chat. 

Contacting player support about it doesn't work, you get an irrelevant, automated message. 

• Boring 2

[OGHF]
Players
1,139 posts
20,362 battles
18 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

On the other hand, there was this guy on the team, a proper homophobic racist pig, who kept insulting others and got reported by several players, but a day later I happened to have him on my team again and he was still active in the chat. 

next time screen shot the chat box and  raise a ticket in support.

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
114 posts
11,099 battles

@Cyclops_  I did, and got a standard automated reply. But clearly they didn't actually do anything to him. Apparently, being a racist and insulting people is not a problem for a Russian company. 

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
10,937 battles

Censorship should not be allowed no matter what! Homophic? How does he know that his enemies/allies are upside down people? HMMM....

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[CAIN]
Players
4,488 posts
18,961 battles

Since last year Juli, I am working on a “don’t say that list”, and very successful indeed considering in this time, I had like 4-6 days were I wasn’t chat banned (didn’t play on these days). 

I’m still not done yet, but I’ve reached a point were I can say with confidence, that i’m almost there. 

You can pre-order “Jethro’s complete compendium of swear words and insults that get you guaranteed chat banned” for only 99,99€. 

Alternatively, you can pre-order the deluxe edition for a measly 179,99€, which guarantees regular FREE updates (intervals may vary depending on the duration of the chat ban).

Forumites get a 10% discount ( 15% if they never played CVs)! 

Since i’m doing this for the community, WG should reward me with CC status! 

#IDidItForScienceAndProfit

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
114 posts
11,099 battles

@Animalul2012  He assumes being gay is somehow a bad thing, so he uses the word "gay" as an insult. It's as ridiculous as calling someone "red-haired" or "tall" as an insult. 

But that's not the main point of what I wanted to ask about. 

Basically, I've only found VERY general guidelines as to what can be said in chat (no swearing, no trying to avoid the censorship filter).  But, for example, the word "feck" isn't treated as a real swearword, at least not in Ireland. But how am I to know if the Russians who develop the game know this? Maybe I'll be banned for saying "fecking"? 

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, callumwaw said:

Is there a list of words that are forbidden in chat and will get you banned from chat if you use them? 

Yes, but I highly doubt it's public.

The one example I know of is using "jap" instead of "japanese" or "ijn". Supposedly cuz it's a slur in 'murica or something like that

apparently a guy was banned from chat for calling someone "incompetent"

Highly unlikely for a single light offense like that. Is it his assumption that this is why he was banned, or does he actually know it for a fact?

What if instead of "for f*cks sake" I write "ffs"?   Can they ban for this?

I'd guess they can. That's not a particularly "hidden" way of swearing.

Then again, I highly doubt someone would go through the hassle of submitting a manual report to support about a "ffs"

This could just as well stand for "for flip's sake"

It could, but lets be honest, noone uses it like that. The meaning is clear.

My point is, I recently got banned from chat

24h or longer? Important difference there.

24h is automated ban - given to you from reaching "enough" of the "misbehaviour in chat" reports against you in some amount of time.

Longer? That's manually issued -> someone submitted a ticket against you, and it was confirmed by someone manually. In this case afaik you can ask support to tell you what got you banned (they'll show you your chat logs)

8 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

calling someone "red-haired" (..) as an insult. 

Isn't it? Allright then ginger :Smile_trollface:

[RO-RN]
Players
901 posts
10,937 battles
58 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

@Cyclops_  I did, and got a standard automated reply. But clearly they didn't actually do anything to him. Apparently, being a racist and insulting people is not a problem for a Russian company. 

Solving the bugged aim,improper balance,desync,etc are problems that need attention and there are even more:finding new ways of marketing while at the same time making the customers overall happy and maximizing the profit number.(cause a business wants to make money duh) Racism and insults? Did you ever listened to an MW2 lobby? Was this a problem? NO!! Annoyed? Mute them,close your chat but dont push this non existant problem.  People get so easily offended these days and then they scream as they thing that will solve theyre problems.

• Bad 2

[XTREM]
Players
1,713 posts
13,844 battles

''Retard'' is one.

Received my one and only chat ban for it. 

I'm so toxic. :Smile_trollface:

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
114 posts
11,099 battles
8 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

In this case afaik you can ask support to tell you what got you banned (they'll show you your chat logs

I did - they didn't show any logs, they sent me an automated message to the effect that I can go and f**k myself ;) 

3 minutes ago, Animalul2012 said:

MW2 lobby? W

I have no idea what an MW2 lobby is. 

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
114 posts
11,099 battles
1 minute ago, Miragetank90 said:

''Retard'' is one.

Received my one and only chat ban for it. 

I'm so toxic. :Smile_trollface:

So if I say I have retarded timing in my car engine, I will be banned? :D 

Love your post signature, mate. Slayer and Sabbath, NICE. 

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,713 posts
13,844 battles
2 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

Love your post signature, mate. Slayer and Sabbath, NICE. 

I think of it as my forum Battle-Jacket xD

I'll leave you with this :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

current-surface-todays-forecast-raining-blood-27982080.png.d91881437c1b8ff25c40af819a281fee.png

Good night sir \m/

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,831 posts
14,389 battles
2 hours ago, callumwaw said:

It's clear that strong swearwords, like "f*cking...", are forbidden. But what if I say "effing" or "flipping..." etc.?  Is "damned" considered a swearword? Do I get banned for saying "bloody hell"? 

I've tried (and failed) to find an answer to this question on the forum, and apparently a guy was banned from chat for calling someone "incompetent". C'mon, that's a little over the top, isn't it?

What if instead of "for f*cks sake" I write "ffs"?   Can they ban for this? This could just as well stand for "for flip's sake", so they surely can't, can they?

My point is, I recently got banned from chat, but I can put my hand on my heart and swear I don't remember using any swearwords at all. I suppose I did use "ffs". On the other hand, there was this guy on the team, a proper homophobic racist pig, who kept insulting others and got reported by several players, but a day later I happened to have him on my team again and he was still active in the chat. 

Contacting player support about it doesn't work, you get an irrelevant, automated message. 

Imagine talking to a Judge or Policeman and you do not want to get in trouble.

Beta Tester
1,003 posts
15,891 battles

I always call my so called team a bunch of bots and have my chat banned 24/7, i have no idea how rude it is to the the bots to compare them to todays players, but still...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
20 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

I did - they didn't show any logs, they sent me an automated message to the effect that I can go and f**k myself ;)

Well, I know that there's a way how to do it, but I'm not sure how exactly. Never bothered, if they sent me my logs there would be too much to read :jebaited:

22 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

I have no idea what an MW2 lobby is. 

I believe he's referring to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. CoD's known to be very toxic, similar as League.

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
114 posts
11,099 battles

@ColonelPete  with all due respect, this isn't a very good comparison. You use a completely different language register in court. On the other hand, you use colloquial language in everyday life, and so you do in computer games. If you do something stupid in everyday life, you can say "damn!" and you won't get banned :) 

And that's the whole problem. Saying "bloody hell" is not a very serious thing in my book, as is saying "damn",  but how do I know  if it isn't for the people who develop the game, whose mother tongue is Russian? If you can get a 24h ban for saying your teammates are bots, then is saying "this was a stupid thing to do" also going to get you banned? If somebody does something stupid, can we not call a spade a spade? 

Guys, thanks for your answers. It's becoming increasingly clear that nobody seems to know anything :)  and WG, a company known far and wide for their "transparency" (LOL), are not going to clarify anything. 

In other words, you can be banned for pretty much anything, because they aren't native speakers and they don't have a "feel" for how bad a given cuss word is. At the same time, they don't ban people for racist or homophobic remarks, which in the case of Wargaming isn't perhaps that surprising. 

[CATS]
Players
26,831 posts
14,389 battles
6 minutes ago, callumwaw said:

@ColonelPete  with all due respect, this isn't a very good comparison.

But it is the easiest solution, when you do not know how to behave.

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
114 posts
11,099 battles

I can say "what he did was stupid" in court. Apparently, I can't say this in the in-game chat. So your advice is wrong. 

Also, this is beside the point. I'm not asking for advice on how to behave, I know what language registers are and when to use them.

What I'm asking is, are there any rules. If there aren't (as I suspect is the case) then this leaves a window open for all sorts of abuse of the reporting system. I have a strong suspicion that this is exactly what is happening, and that if several people gang up on you and report you for chat misbehaviour, you will be banned even if you didn't use the chat at all in that battle. 

Sign in to follow this