Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
hopfolk

Random Token Yield - Anyone else Sick of it?

19 comments in this topic

[-SWS-]
[-SWS-]
Players
36 posts
7,519 battles

I can understand the need for RNG in the game, but when earned (with a capital E) lootboxes have such a widely variable yield, opening a string of low-yield boxes during the European event was enough to stop me playing the game for a few months.

When I came back, there was a Soviet event based on the same RNG - lootbox nonsense... Miss me with that ship.

Now there's a Submarines event of endless bags of coal (nice) and a string of disappointments - I just want to have a go in a sub ffs..

In the light of how crappy the Xmas boxes were (for the money) and that this system of "making players earn a chance to gamble for maybe enough resources to buy something they want"

Am I the only person who is repulsed by being encouraged to overplay the game and then become jaded with "not beung lucky" ?

Cheers

• Cool 8

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,866 battles

Gambling should be treated and regulated as such. Lootboxes are a scourge on the industry.

• Cool 8

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

For a gambling house to be successful, the possible gain must be enticing. For this Soviet cruisers event, at least I will not be tempted. Accumulating the tokens for the Mikoyan can be done purely by playing, even if unlucky and getting 5 tokens each time. For the other lots, no need to pay anything, it's either a future tech tree ship or an ugly toyish camo which doesn't even have captain or free exp bonus. I don't mind the heavy rng when it's for something I wouldn't want. 

The events are more and more RNG-focused but the rewards are less and less appealing.

• Cool 1

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles

Ye lootboxes are cancerous tf2 started testing the waters in the western part of industry, then dota2, csgo and overwatch solidified its presence permeantly.

But companies only care about money and are only 'sorry' that they got caught not because they have any morale standards.

Shame really, because the events are boring as hell as well.

• Cool 2

Players
2,876 posts
19,258 battles

I hate the damned things and companies that make them their main source of income with passion. :etc_swear: the industry for stooping to exploitation of human weaknesses.

• Cool 3

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
6,585 posts
24,860 battles
1 hour ago, hopfolk said:

I can understand the need for RNG in the game, but when earned (with a capital E) lootboxes have such a widely variable yield, opening a string of low-yield boxes during the European event was enough to stop me playing the game for a few months.

When I came back, there was a Soviet event based on the same RNG - lootbox nonsense... Miss me with that ship.

Now there's a Submarines event of endless bags of coal (nice) and a string of disappointments - I just want to have a go in a sub ffs..

In the light of how crappy the Xmas boxes were (for the money) and that this system of "making players earn a chance to gamble for maybe enough resources to buy something they want"

Am I the only person who is repulsed by being encouraged to overplay the game and then become jaded with "not beung lucky" ?

Cheers

Well in all honesty its best to just ignore them...

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,104 posts
7,227 battles

Well, the mechanic makes sense from a business point of view since randomised yield makes reward planning impossible and thus an incentive for playing through the entire event is created.

However, it is a rather toxic system, regardless of how "optional" the content is.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
2,723 posts
16,676 battles

I can't buy them for real currency ( belgian government 1 - 0 WG). But still for doubloons ingame (1-1). Maybe I should bring this to the gaming oversight committee so those loot  boxes get removed in game as well. Doubloons are, in essence, just euros. :cap_yes:

• Cool 4

[-SWS-]
[-SWS-]
Players
36 posts
7,519 battles

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I've spent hundreds on this game but not another penny until this crap is cleared up.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,591 posts
41,876 battles
2 hours ago, hopfolk said:

Cheers

The EU lootboxes were more evenly distributed.

I can not even understand how they thought that paying 500 doubloons fr a 1/100 chance of the top draw. In the EU draw I got 1220 tokens of 21 bought crates , and the alternatives then were 20,40,60 and 250 but the numbers of 250 were 1 in 10 or so. You felt that you going forward , here 50 out of 100 were 5 which barely moves your number. It was also special signals then in the boxes which at least are useful. 

It is one thing to pay a few quid in a Eurolottery where you know it money gone but it is a thrilling chance to be independent ( No I do not believe in it), where you attracts players becouse of the spread in rewards.

In pixelboats I personally would be far more interesting with a spread of say max 1 in 10 and decent chance for rewards that move you forward. 

Personally I bought the Bagration to get the 4 weeks of mission tokens (with Mikoyan) that more or less ensured that I would get the Riga permacamo. Now I am at around 100 tokens , not a chance that I would pay anything. 

I know that my first box is a 5 token. If i were maybe 30 from Riga I might have done it but now the median yield is more or less 5 or to be exact 7,5. With so large spread median is far more relevant than mean.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,628 posts
13,906 battles

I have to admit to being slightly torn on all this.

• On the one hand, I like the Xmas boxes; in the position I'm in (almost all premiums already), they usually work out quite well for me in terms of what I get back for the spend, and that's counting cammo/flags as valueless. However, for players with less idiotic well-developed fleets, the value proposition is very different, as you're going to get a lot of clunkers before starting to get the more worthwhile ships.
  • Where I do get wound up is unnecessary randomness in mission rewards; I would much rather have a clear progression, such that I know that if I put in x amount of effort, I will get y reward. As we all know, WG do it this way because it encourages more spending/hours in the game, but I'd still much rather they didn't.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
6,585 posts
24,860 battles
48 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

I can't buy them for real currency ( belgian government 1 - 0 WG). But still for doubloons ingame (1-1). Maybe I should bring this to the gaming oversight committee so those loot  boxes get removed in game as well. Doubloons are, in essence, just euros. :cap_yes:

Thats likely the very reason they are in armory, not so long ago that was NOT the case and only place you could get premium boxes was shop

• Cool 1

[-RDE-]
[-RDE-]
Players
120 posts
11,089 battles

It's gotten worse with every new directive based mission. The rewards for 'free' are more miserly and the pay element gets bigger. What was effectively the only guaranteed reward this time (assuming you got every crate possible) was the Mikoyan and as soon as people did the extra token missions it provided they stopped playing it because its an utterly average ship that contributes nothing to grinding the new line.

• Cool 3

Players
1,735 posts
18,647 battles

It's certainly the way the industry is going and WG are steadily getting less generous with the token drop chances. Sad thing is it clearly works as a business model so it's not going away anytime soon. 

Luckily for me I'm a miserable old devil so it just puts me off and I care less about getting what ever product is being offered. No point putting the effort in from my perspective. 

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
4,861 posts
20,307 battles
4 hours ago, hopfolk said:

Probably not, even though I don't bother about all these "get tokens to get some ships early that you get later for free" enough to influence me much..

I either get them tokens or I don't... if it's not enough for those ships, I get at least some flags or premium days for them... so.. at least some stuff for free...

But I won't spend a single € to get more tokens... well, maybe € 1.- if it makes sure that I get enough to reach a certain goal... but not to gamble...

• Cool 2

[SEN]
Players
795 posts
4 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

15 crates gave 130, so I just buy premium wit them

Lucky you, 15 crapters here only 110 :p

12 of them 5 each, 2 x 25 ;

I was looking at numbers last week, is clear you get, in average, ONE (1) 300 tokens craptainer at 100 craptainers open.

So WeeGee obvious new from start is no chance to get more than a ship and, the best case, a camo, for all the grind.

Peoples are forced to empty the pockets if they want more.

I refuse to take part in this lottery scam, as a victim.

WeeGee can keep trying to fool us,  but I see more and more peoples tired by this aggressive and shameless policy.  

• Cool 3