Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
invicta2012

How to enjoy Skåne

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,146 battles

The Tier VII Pan EU DD, rather than the region of Sweden (although travel tips are welcome).

 

I find this ship a bit of a drag.

 

After experiencing (again) that depressing feeling of catching a BB out of position, hitting it with a full salvo of torps and completely failing to sink it,  I thought I'd ask the friendly forum for advice. How to play this ship and make it fun?

 

It's not that quick, not that stealthy, long range torps which don't really sink things (I sink more ships with my guns, which have all the problems of that 2 x 2 set up), no smoke or fancy dan consumables. And yet the stats say it's fine - even quite good. But does anyone like it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,339 posts
20,612 battles

I got reasonable results in her by either using her for hit and run attacks on caps, the fast torps are great flushing enemy DDs out of smoke and the heal does help so you pull back heal up and go in again. Alternatively if the enemy are pushing one flank hard she's quite good at kiting away torp spamming it takes time but slowly the torps do grind them down. 

 

That being said I never enjoyed the Skane it was frustrating to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
392 posts
3,934 battles

This ship is great if you play for its strengths.

 

First it has excellent gun DPM and you have heal, so you can easily duke it out with most DDs and win, its very good at killing DDs.

 

The torps don't hit hard, but they are very fast, reload in less than a minute, have a very high flood chance and are easy to hit as a result.

They also have supper narrow spread, so if you aim/predict well, you can generally nail a good salvo on the target.

 

It has 12km torp range, but unless enemy team has radar nearby, you generally want to get as close as possible to a target, this is generally the case for any DD but when you have  80 knots torps, the chance that the target change course or speed is a lot lower, the reaction time window to dodge them is also smaller.

 

Those torps are oppressive, they are very good at stopping pushes or punishing stationary targets, and you can spam them at will due to their low CD, they are also very good at catching DDs inside smokes.

 

Positioning and the decision when to open fire is super important in this DD because it has difficulty to disengage if you get caught by a "surprise" cruiser supporting the DD your duking with or if you get into a dangerous situation, so map awareness is key.

 

Overall, I use Skane in the current ranked season and I have great success with it.

 

My 19 points build:

 

PT, LS, SE, CE - first 10 points

AR, BFT, RPF - last 9 points

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PANEU]
Players
4,321 posts
12,456 battles

Let the enemy DD get the cap. Let him think that he is safe and let him come towards your team and then ambush him. 

The enemy team most times will only be able to support during capping. Most DDs abandon safety of the team after they notice cap wasn't contested and start stalking. 

 

Ambush him then. You have great guns, heal and fast torps. basically all the tools to win that fight. Afterwards retake the cap. 

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
1 minute ago, _Warfarin_ said:

Let the enemy DD get the cap. Let him think that he is safe and let him come towards your team and then ambush him. 

The enemy team most times will only be able to support during capping. Most DDs abandon safety of the team after they notice cap wasn't contested and start stalking. 

 

Ambush him then. You have great guns, heal and fast torps. basically all the tools to win that fight. Afterwards retake the cap. 

Yes, and this as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,146 battles

This is all good stuff, thanks. However it sounds like a ship which is only really worthwhile in Random matches (perhaps I will play a few). In other modes it is outgunned, outspotted, and generally overmatched by other choices. I also find the gun DPM - like all 2 turret ships  -questionable. It excels at harassing larger ships but with other DDs I tend to find the shells straddling the target, while single gun ships score hits. Adjustments to be made accordingly, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
8,175 posts
42,164 battles

It suffers a lot especially uptiered with there are ships like Musashi or Soyuz that have a lot of hp and those torps hit like Shokaku torps. Musashi eats all 6 torps for 22k dmg. Lol. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,146 battles
9 minutes ago, MacArthur92 said:

It suffers a lot especially uptiered with there are ships like Musashi or Soyuz that have a lot of hp and those torps hit like Shokaku torps. Musashi eats all 6 torps for 22k dmg. Lol. 

I noticed that. I recently torpedoed a Jean Bart for 2500 damage. This is going to take a while, lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Players
8,175 posts
42,164 battles
3 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I noticed that. I recently torpedoed a Jean Bart for 2500 damage. This is going to take a while, lads.

Ah because also saturation gets into the story. Oh man 2500 like Kaga torping a Musashi from one torp.... But on Kaga you get 15-20 torp hits easily and sometimes 30+. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,975 posts
15,475 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

However it sounds like a ship which is only really worthwhile in Random matches (perhaps I will play a few). In other modes it is outgunned, outspotted, and generally overmatched by other choices.

You may well be right about this; I'm very keen on the T7+ EU DDs (despite the fact that I'm almost certain my Halland is Cursed), but I much prefer to use them in modes where you have the opportunity to make use of their key strengths i.e. DoT and the heal.

 

If you want to dump huge amounts of damage on people in a very short period of time, there are better choices.

 

The way I tend to try and think about the torps is as rather ponderous, and very large, shells i.e. you seem to get more hits with the things (mainly due to the speed), but - as you identify - you don't have the alpha to one-shot too many things (although they're monstrous against DDs hiding in smoke, and sometimes in brawls). With a high alpha DD, you might be able to worry a bit less about 'after' your torp strike as the huge alpha should make your target smoking boots; with an Ikea, you have to pay a lot more attention to the 'after' aspect i.e. escaping if/when your torps don't kill the target outright.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

This is all good stuff, thanks. However it sounds like a ship which is only really worthwhile in Random matches (perhaps I will play a few). In other modes it is outgunned, outspotted, and generally overmatched by other choices. I also find the gun DPM - like all 2 turret ships  -questionable. It excels at harassing larger ships but with other DDs I tend to find the shells straddling the target, while single gun ships score hits. Adjustments to be made accordingly, I suppose.

I'm having a lot of success with it in the current ranked season.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,975 posts
15,475 battles
41 minutes ago, steveraptor said:

I'm having a lot of success with it in the current ranked season.

Halland is quite worthwhile in Clans (at least at the level I play at) too - the fast, long-ranged torps, plus heal are quite useful in combination with a coordinated team to provide the alpha. The same ought to be true for the T7+ Ikeas in general, if/when we get a tier for Clans that isn't 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,204 posts
18,626 battles

Skåne (and öland) are both useless pieces of junk for stopping anything that isn't a DD.

I land as many or more torpedoes per game with Shiratsuyu as with Skåne, since the former has almost twice the torpedo output (longer reload).

Result is obvious - Shira is far far more effective at carrying games and also outspots the Skåne.

 

BBs using wasd.hax can simply ignore PanEU DDs as landing torps is notoriously unreliable against non-vegetable opponents.

They only have 2 x 3 sets and the alpha is around 5k after torpedo belt reduction per torpedo. SinOP simply laughs.

The ONLY way they pose any sort of serious danger to a BB is if it eats a flooding, and you can pretty much guarantee that you dontby using wasd.hax and minimap.hax.

 

If you have to grind those shitty DDs then focus on killing enemy DDs that push too far. 

The torps are a pointless joke unless you come across bowtanking BB and island-hugging cruisers that can't move because of other threats.

 

Here's basically the reason they're crap at carrying (sorry if I derail original purpose of this post)

2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

The way I tend to try and think about the torps is as rather ponderous, and very large, shells i.e. you seem to get more hits with the things (mainly due to the speed), but - as you identify - you don't have the alpha to one-shot too many things (although they're monstrous against DDs hiding in smoke, and sometimes in brawls). With a high alpha DD, you might be able to worry a bit less about 'after' your torp strike as the huge alpha should make your target smoking boots; with an Ikea, you have to pay a lot more attention to the 'after' aspect i.e. escaping if/when your torps don't kill the target outright.

1. you dont get more hits, because they have less launchers in the first place

2. rarely do you ever get more than 1 chance to torp a target - he will run. alpha is more reliable/important than DoT

3 one-shots due to low alpha not possible is terrible since the DD literally have no stopping power. 

 

I'm praying Halland might be different with 2x5 launchers, but so far Ikea DDs are just inferior IJN lolibotes. Might be they have slightly better guns, but a properly played lolibote using its guns have so many ways to exploit their lack of smoke and concealment that engagements can easily go either way.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,975 posts
15,475 battles
1 hour ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

I'm praying Halland might be different with 2x5 launchers

The experience may be different for a unicum, but I found the Ikeas to be a pretty decent and logical progression i.e. the T8 is more or less an improved version of the T7; ditto the T9 to the T8, and finally the T10 to the T9.

 

Whether that's a good thing or not will depend on your view of the ships' whole concept; for me, it's great, as I like them a lot - if you're less keen though, it'll suck.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,317 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, invicta2012 sagte:

However it sounds like a ship which is only really worthwhile in Random matches

Which will be the only mode in 10 days. Ah, ok, Operation Narai... but a DD there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H_FAN]
Players
2,812 posts
47,532 battles
8 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

The Tier VII Pan EU DD, rather than the region of Sweden (although travel tips are welcome).

 

I find this ship a bit of a drag.

 

After experiencing (again) that depressing feeling of catching a BB out of position, hitting it with a full salvo of torps and completely failing to sink it,  I thought I'd ask the friendly forum for advice. How to play this ship and make it fun?

 

It's not that quick, not that stealthy, long range torps which don't really sink things (I sink more ships with my guns, which have all the problems of that 2 x 2 set up), no smoke or fancy dan consumables. And yet the stats say it's fine - even quite good. But does anyone like it? 

Like this you should enjoy Skåne.

 

 

Skane.jpg

Sill och snaps.jpg

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H_FAN]
Players
2,812 posts
47,532 battles
8 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

The Tier VII Pan EU DD, rather than the region of Sweden (although travel tips are welcome).

 

I find this ship a bit of a drag.

 

After experiencing (again) that depressing feeling of catching a BB out of position, hitting it with a full salvo of torps and completely failing to sink it,  I thought I'd ask the friendly forum for advice. How to play this ship and make it fun?

 

It's not that quick, not that stealthy, long range torps which don't really sink things (I sink more ships with my guns, which have all the problems of that 2 x 2 set up), no smoke or fancy dan consumables. And yet the stats say it's fine - even quite good. But does anyone like it? 

To be serious I think the EU DDs are better on CAP denial and harassing rather than capping itself at least that is my experience with the EU DDs. You are very dependent on team when you should cap, as your CE is OK but not stellar.

 

It is quite frustrating to meet your own ship (with same Concealment) when your pown team fires at he ship in the back.

 

However my DD expertise is not stellar rather mediocre but I do feel that they are quite different and therefor IMO a succesful branch. But as a Swede I am heavily biased. But as of now I only play T9 and 10 in randoms.

Strangely enoug I found the T6 better than Skåne with the 2 twin back turrets. as the kiting role suits them if you manage to get a flood or so.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,670 posts
19,146 battles
25 minutes ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

Which will be the only mode in 10 days. Ah, ok, Operation Narai... but a DD there?

Well, I do play DDs in Narai, but that was rather my point - if I'm going to take one do I take Skane or do I take Blyksa, Jervis, Gadjah, Akatsuki, Vauquelin, Leningrad... all of which hit harder and have more tools for that sort of match. I would happily live with 10k and 65 knot torps if I could have two quad launchers -as it stands I can land all six torps and I'll do as much damage as three of Blyksa's....

 

20 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

Strangely enoug I found the T6 better than Skåne with the 2 twin back turrets. as the kiting role suits them if you manage to get a flood or so.

I really liked Vasteras. As you say, built for kiting - dump torps, hit speed boost, kite away and set fires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,133 posts
19,317 battles
Vor 19 Minuten, invicta2012 sagte:

Well, I do play DDs in Narai, but that was rather my point - if I'm going to take one do I take Skane or do I take Blyksa, Jervis, Gadjah, Akatsuki, Vauquelin, Leningrad... 

I had best results with Mahan. Good guns, 3 torp launchers and long lasting smoke for the end game (to hide you and your transport ship).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
5,764 posts
22,578 battles
10 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

But does anyone like it?

 

Yep, me.. It's not half bad imho, just needs a different playstyle than the ones that can rely on smoke.

Maybe it just needs to be played less than "the bane of BBs" but rather as "do enemy suppression in an area by filling it with torps and making enemies think if they want to risk to catch some.."

 

Couple battles ago I managed to keep two DDs and three BBs busy dodging my torps on a flank, being mostly alone, without doing a lot of damage on the way, but keeping them from advancing to our cap while the - still living - rest of my team gathered in the enemy cap, winning the battle...

Sure, won't happen or work all the time... but it's quite rewarding if it does..

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SVX]
Players
1,387 posts
16,420 battles
12 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

The Tier VII Pan EU DD, rather than the region of Sweden (although travel tips are welcome).

 

I find this ship a bit of a drag.

 

After experiencing (again) that depressing feeling of catching a BB out of position, hitting it with a full salvo of torps and completely failing to sink it,  I thought I'd ask the friendly forum for advice. How to play this ship and make it fun?

 

It's not that quick, not that stealthy, long range torps which don't really sink things (I sink more ships with my guns, which have all the problems of that 2 x 2 set up), no smoke or fancy dan consumables. And yet the stats say it's fine - even quite good. But does anyone like it? 

sell that province back to denmark only full of reserv danes anyway ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
81 posts
5,379 battles

The campaign to get the special captain is called "strength of will" for a reason, namely because you more or less have to keep working playing those things over and over. In my experience the knäckebröds are becoming worse with increasing tiers, but possibly they are just becoming more pronouncedly different compared to standard DDs, since I seem to be improving with the Västerås recently. It definitely requires a different playstyle but that has been stated already. That playstyle however tends to make me pink, something that rarely happened before, if at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
3,805 posts
15,184 battles

I didn't like the Skane but  the Oland is so much better. With Oster and Halland you get another step up each tier and they are both very strong ships.

 

Think of the torps like you would HE salvos. With these ships you launch torps, hoping to cause a flood that they will then repair. You then send the next set which cause a perma flood. Lack of alpha is annoying but when these torps become quick you'll find landing them a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×