Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TrueSights

Best Premium ship?

30 comments in this topic

[RNSF]
Beta Tester
6 posts
1,452 battles

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy one of the premium ships at the moment as I've started to get impatient for the Open Beta Test so thought while this offer is open may as well take it up. I have no experience of any of World of Warships playing (apart from watching numerous videos on youtube) and basically have no idea of how it works properly. So which premium ship is best for me? I was thinking the Yubari as it seems to pack a punch, is a low tier (so good for starting on), does not seem to have a huge skill curve and is one of the cheaper options. 

I am only thinking about buying one premium ship at the moment and while the US T7 was tempting, I don't think jumping straight into T7 is a good idea as I've been a veteran from World of Tanks and I've guessed the learning curve is roughly the same.

Any opinions about which might be best for me, or when maybe Open Beta will come out to help my decision are appreciated!

Players
1,497 posts
2,586 battles

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy one of the premium ships at the moment as I've started to get impatient for the Open Beta Test so thought while this offer is open may as well take it up. I have no experience of any of World of Warships playing (apart from watching numerous videos on youtube) and basically have no idea of how it works properly. So which premium ship is best for me? I was thinking the Yubari as it seems to pack a punch, is a low tier (so good for starting on), does not seem to have a huge skill curve and is one of the cheaper options. 

I am only thinking about buying one premium ship at the moment and while the US T7 was tempting, I don't think jumping straight into T7 is a good idea as I've been a veteran from World of Tanks and I've guessed the learning curve is roughly the same.

Any opinions about which might be best for me, or when maybe Open Beta will come out to help my decision are appreciated!

i would also say Yubari since it is the most easy to start playing since it is a cruiser and does not take as much skill as the other 2 ships to master

[ST-EU]
Supertester
3,402 posts
18,053 battles

No matter the ship you purchase to gain access you can still sail the lower tiered ships to gain experience. You will start with the tier 1 ships from the USN and IJN (as well as your purchased ship of choice) ships, (Erie USN) and (Katori IJN) so learning can be done with ease instead of trying to learn the ropes with higher tiered ships. Relax and have fun, I am sure you will! :honoring:

Beta Tester
615 posts
1,251 battles

Me, I started playing with normal ships until I got to tier 3 before using my Yubari for the first time.  Think it helped.  Yubari was a really nice old ship and given how slow the Japanese torpedo triplanes are it would be now too, but since th patch cruisers are all about HE spam and with only 4 guns and low HP it lacks there,  St Louises just wreck it now.  I mostly play it defensivly now becuase it just cannot survive the HE rain in most battles any more.

Edited by Battledragon

[RNSF]
Beta Tester
6 posts
1,452 battles

By the sounds of it Yubari might be best for me just because the damage from the guns and the good torpedoes and has some nice all round stats. Cheers for the feedback guys

[HF_30]
Beta Tester
193 posts
4,207 battles

I think most people would agree the germy is the best pick of the 3 and the yarbs been the worst but its down to play style.

I do not own any of them but i seem Germs doing quite well in game along with the Sims but the Yarbs all most never seem to do much of any thing in game.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

i would also say Yubari since it is the most easy to start playing since it is a cruiser and does not take as much skill as the other 2 ships to master

I would say Sims is the easiest to have some fun in. Yubari is basically a big DD and should not be played a normal cruiser, Grey is hard to master since those gun's turn so slow. For a total newbie, the Sims would offer the easiest entry as he would be focused on guns ( which on USN DD's isn't that bad to start with ) and the Sims is pretty good with it's gun's ( understatement of the year btw ). 

Sure it is a steeper learning curve when you want to go from 'fun' to 'effective', steeper then the curve for playing the Yubari probably. 

But, I always tell people to get the Grey because I'm selfish, I don't want all those pay2beta in their brand new Sims in high tier matches :hiding: Afraid to get torped and so on.. though with the current team damage system I'm probably in need of a change there. Still, Grey is really strong if you play her well, the longer range torps make her a true DD but you can also play her as a gun boat as the HE shells from those 130mm are really REALLY good atm. Even before HE buff, the Grey had deadly guns if you where able to keep them on target.

In the end, I think all pre order ships have their right of existence, and it's really hard to point out one which is 'the best'. If asked which one I would consider the worst though, I would pick the Yubari. 

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

Yubari may not have the same potential for carnage as Grem, but it's also not as complex to play. Grem is strong, but requires a degree of skill and experience.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,222 posts
7,206 battles

most fun=sims

most practical=yubari

mix of fun and practicality=gremmy

but it don't mater due to fact most of the normal ships are way more fun to play so get the package you feel you can afford and then get into the game and learn the play style of all the ship types before looking at which ship is best

remember the premium ships are for credit and xp for crew and due to fact we have higher xp and credits than normal at the moment they are not as useful as they will be when the game goes open beta

Beta Tester
4,178 posts
9,501 battles

Larger question is, why do you want to buy a premium?

They provide a few things.

*Easy access to higher tier play

*Large credit income

*Convertible xp

*Speedy crew training/retraining

I don't know of many people that buy premiums just to skip playing the normal tanks or ships, so I'll permit myself to discard that at once.

In my case, both here and in wot, I use premiums to boost my credits and to help train crews. This has a positive feedback loop in that the crew used in the premium will be of very good quality, and exceptional quality for its tier. And if you want the convertible xp, you can just turn of accelerated training (that is assuming this will come in wows, which it is quite likely it will).

If you have to use a crew only for the premium, then it will be quite a bit worse, likely so much as to make it a worse option than it would be in my case.

In my case, that completely dismisses the gremy as there's no russian tech tree. The yuubari is tier 4, thus not really effective at earning credits nor xp, and additionally the ideal crew talents for it would not really fit any other ship, though that could be manageable. The sims (my choice) suits me because I find US DDs fun, it's t7 so an effective credit earner, and with the exception of the 3rd tier skill I'll be fully taking it to use to retrain my US CV crew in the lower tiers. Though again, this is what suits me for my needs.

[FILO]
Beta Tester
333 posts
3,970 battles

Larger question is, why do you want to buy a premium?

To get beta access

[RNSF]
Beta Tester
6 posts
1,452 battles

To get beta access

That is unfortunately one of the main selling points. I don't usually buy premium vehicles, though I have been debating about what ones I might want or which game (this or WoT) due to the training and credit advantages. It just helps that this has premium.

Sims does look fun to play, fast reload, good accuracy, high turret turning speed and all added in with good turning and top speed. If I just got that and jumped into a T7 game, would it be as bad as jumping into a T7 tank in WoT for your first game?

[FILO]
Beta Tester
333 posts
3,970 battles

You don't have to use it till you get more experienced, you will start with T1 ships and move up through the tech trees. Like WoT it's a premium tank/ship, use it when you want to.

Beta Tester
181 posts
2,949 battles

Don't use the premium ships before you have t5 ships or higher. You can't play it without experience. 

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,683 posts
7,227 battles

One of the problems in rccomending a ship to someone who hasn't yet played is that the game style difference between a CV and a DD is very pronounced.  You ay prefer one and not the other.

Reverse engineering your question: If I had to give up two of the three ships associated with the CBT access I'd hang on to the Gremyashchiy.   I like DDs most of all and find it to be superb fun.  Maneouvres wonderfully.

View PostTodesstelzer, on 18 May 2015 - 09:10 AM, said:

Don't use the premium ships before you have t5 ships or higher. You can't play it without experience. 

+1

I did this myself.  Waited until I unlocked ships of the same tier and I would also reccomend this.

View PostTrueSights, on 18 May 2015 - 12:43 AM, said:

That is unfortunately one of the main selling points. I don't usually buy premium vehicles, though I have been debating about what ones I might want or which game (this or WoT) due to the training and credit advantages. It just helps that this has premium.

Sims does look fun to play, fast reload, good accuracy, high turret turning speed and all added in with good turning and top speed. If I just got that and jumped into a T7 game, would it be as bad as jumping into a T7 tank in WoT for your first game?

At least as bad.  

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,181 battles

Atlanta seems to be the best premium ship to me. It is unique and really high DPM. Agreed don't jump straight into high tier games with your shiny new premium ship, you will be fooked over quick style.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Atlanta seems to be the best premium ship to me. It is unique and really high DPM. Agreed don't jump straight into high tier games with your shiny new premium ship, you will be fooked over quick style.

If you read more then only the title... like say the opening post, you wouldn't come with this drivel as he's specifically wants to buy his way into CBT and you can only do that with the 3 pre order ships :sceptic:

Alpha Tester
1,427 posts
558 battles

Yubari's the most flexible by far = best ship.  Sims is OP in some situations, but pretty useless in others.  For a complete new player, Sims will do best, but it won't teach you anything and you won't really get any better with it.  Grem is very solid, and possibly the best over all, but still has those situations where you may as well just order "abandon ship", for all the impact you'll have.  Yuyu can do a bit of it all, is pretty much as manoeuvrable as the destroyers, and despite what the stats would seem to predict to the unpracticed eye, they usually end up at the top of the scoreboard.

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
32 battles
[edited]
Edited by BigBadVuk
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content.

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,181 battles

If you read more then only the title... like say the opening post, you wouldn't come with this drivel as he's specifically wants to buy his way into CBT and you can only do that with the 3 pre order ships :sceptic:

Wow chill dude...

OP I truly apologise for coming in with that drivel, obviously I have had comprehended the question more fully I wouldn't have been so obnoxious as to draw the type of comment quoted.

Beta Tester
1,500 posts
4,666 battles

I've had most fun in the Gremmy to be honest. Yubari was the one I wanted, bought them all and have felt that the Y does not give you as much. The Sims I have not taken out once, since I just yesterday got my first tier7 ship and because it is an DD and I don't like DD's that much.

Exept Gremmy, she was so good to me last friday.. First 10+K xp battle I had. :)

Then I bought Murmansk and have had fun with that as well.

But poor Yubari, no love for you. Perhaps I just need more practise (most likely). :-/

[LUXX]
Beta Tester
159 posts

In order to get beta access Yubari would be my preferred choice. Good guns for that tier, torpedos, almost as fast and nimble as a destroyer, great light cruiser,

But the best premium ship overall is obviously the Kitakami. Why ? Because everybody, really everybody is focusing on me when I drive mine, so it must be good right ? :)

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

Wow chill dude...

OP I truly apologise for coming in with that drivel, obviously I have had comprehended the question more fully I wouldn't have been so obnoxious as to draw the type of comment quoted.

Drivel was a bit strong, but it's really bad etiquette to respond to a thread without reading the opening post, it makes you look like you want to increase your post count without bothering to make sure it's even relevant.

The comment of the Atlanta being the best premium ship is interesting though. Do you think it is the best now due to current HE mechanics or is it something else which makes it so good?

edit:

I've had most fun in the Gremmy to be honest. Yubari was the one I wanted, bought them all and have felt that the Y does not give you as much. The Sims I have not taken out once, since I just yesterday got my first tier7 ship and because it is an DD and I don't like DD's that much.

Exept Gremmy, she was so good to me last friday.. First 10+K xp battle I had. :)
Then I bought Murmansk and have had fun with that as well.

But poor Yubari, no love for you. Perhaps I just need more practise (most likely). :-/

Murmanks is <3, it has no worse traits compared with the same tier Omaha off which she was derived! Having much fun in mine I must admit :playing:

Edited by mtm78

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

To get beta access

Yea, pay to test, cool concept....(for the devs)

Did that back in WT for the Ground Forces Closed Beta, bought a "german Sherman"...

When the GF-OBT started that tank was nerfed, nerfed, nerfed and nerfed some more (ROF, armor, Battlerating....) until it was basically unplayable.

I'll never buy into any Closed Beta to test stuff again, thx to Gaijin for that! ;)

Might be that the buyable WoWs premium ships won't be nerfed into uselessness, but since I can't know that I'll just wait for the WoWs Open Beta test.

EDIT: Screw it, I just bought myself into CBT - it was just too tempting - I'm liking what I've seen so far VERY MUCH! 

Edited by Trigger_Happy_Dad

Sign in to follow this