Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
krautjaeger

Matchmaker - Other ways to do it?

4 comments in this topic

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,340 posts
3,342 battles

In WoT, visiting this topic is always difficult and results in threads being closed asap partially due to all the flaming that ensues. WoWs is in beta, we know the MM is going to be further developed, changed, reverted, changed again and so on and we have to suck it up and accept that because we are testers. Which is good, because it also allows WG to try out new things that they can't in WoT because no matter how they spin it people will get miffed. And no, I am not going to go with skill-MM because I think WG has a huge distaste for the word from our rantings in WoT.

What I would like to see is a MM that we could choose which level we want to play at. You have three different queues, everyone can join whichever they choose without restriction other than what you put on yourself and where you fancy you should play at with your experience. Lets call them Easy, Normal and Advanced. The rewards, xp and credits, will be exactly the same no matter what queue you join but if you join Easy you know it will be mostly for schitz & giggles. If you join Normal you know there will be more tactics involved, people will expect more from you if you enter there. If join Advanced you also know that people will expect your utmost attention and understanding of the game and tactics involved.

Now, people might say that at some hours there might not be enough people for Advanced so you'll end up queuing forever. Well, there could be a timer. If you do not enter a game after X minutes you'll be pushed down to Normal and enter game there. Likewise Normal -> Easy. Queues will progress, matches will go off.

What this solves is a few things, one being a lot of aggravation in-game towards people that just want to sail ships and fire guns. Now these can just queue for Easy, which most likely will have the highest number queued anyway and always get their games. And it would also go a long way to solve games for people that wish for more strategic game-play. Again, the rewards for each queue and matches are the same and it is completely voluntary where you choose to queue. No one is forced, in any way. Can it be trolled? Yes, but so can the regular system. You can never, ever, safeguard against trolling.

I have thought a lot about this over the last year. Why do I say year you say? Well, today it is one year since I joined WoT (yay me!) and I remember all the stages I went through there. First it was the yolo-stage, tier 1-4. Then tier 4-6 was more understanding the tanks and getting a grasp of tactics but I still mostly drove tanks and fired my gun. When I started doing tier 7's I had a much higher yearning for tactics and strategy, cohesive teams and wanting to win the game as well. But, I also noticed that a lot of people that started alongside me still was in the yolo-stage or drive & shoot-stage still, and just enjoyed that. This is when I wondered if something like above could be implemented, but WoT is too far along for WG to attempt something completely different. WoWs on the other hand, is not.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Not just the idea I mentioned, but possibly other ideas as well be it change or enhance MM for better game-play, strategy and fluidity.

Beta Tester
137 posts
1 battles

What your idea doesn't solve is the impact from allowing "I play for fun" into your advanced mode, or for that matter, a seal clubber chosing to play in the "easy" mode.  You know that it'll get abused.

Also note that someone may chip in about the AW planned balancing MM.  Yep, good idea for 65% of the player base (anyone average or below).  However, for the good players, if will force them to carry the rest of the team, something which I'll never approve of.

I debated this out a couple of years ago within WOT.  Here's the best solution I've come across:

This would introduce a new OPTION for players to play in a league

• There would initially be 2 leagues, upper and lower, with the player base logically split roughly 50:50
  • Initial allocation of players into the league would be based upon the existing in-game rating system
  • If a player wishes to not play in a league, and to play in normal randoms, just un-tick the box
  • Players would have THREE rating scores, one in pure randoms, one in the upper league, one in the lower league
  • Online stats will be shown for a players performance in EACH league.  So a player is likely to have a worse WR in the upper league, however, he IS playing in the upper league, and that will be visible to everyone, including recruiting clans.  If I were a clan leader, I’d be more interested in a player who can continue to perform in an “upper” league than in standard randoms
  • Players would be promoted/demoted from the lower to the upper league on a weekly basis (initial idea, top/bottom 5%), based upon their score within the league that they're being promoted/demoted from, taking the average from the previous 4 weeks
  • Leagues have NO impact upon Clanwars and is unrelated
  • Players trying to platoon must be in the same skill league area to be able to play in the upper or lower tiers.  If they're mixed, they can only play normal random games
  • Allocation of vehicle for games within the league uses the existing MM system

Key benefits:

• Better players get to avoid the frustration of watching their games turn into a lottery of who has the fewest tomatoes (i.e. 46% WR bots, who do zero damage in top tier tanks)
  • Inexperienced players get to avoid being owned by 500% crew unicums and actually get to play for more than 2 mins without hiding

[KOOKS]
Modder, Beta Tester
1,340 posts
3,342 battles

What your idea doesn't solve is the impact from allowing "I play for fun" into your advanced mode, or for that matter, a seal clubber chosing to play in the "easy" mode.  You know that it'll get abused.

Well, if a play4fun person wanted to go Advanced he would be trolling though as there would be absolutely no gain for him to do so. No more xp, no more credits. All levels have the same reward system. As for the seal clubber/stat padder one could have a games-played-where stats. If you got a good stat player and it shows he's got 20k games played at Easy you know who he is, kind of like the guy playing 10k games in his LolTraktor before the nub-protection.

Also note that someone may chip in about the AW planned balancing MM.  Yep, good idea for 65% of the player base (anyone average or below).  However, for the good players, if will force them to carry the rest of the team, something which I'll never approve of.

I debated this out a couple of years ago within WOT.  Here's the best solution I've come across:

This would introduce a new OPTION for players to play in a league

• There would initially be 2 leagues, upper and lower, with the player base logically split roughly 50:50
  • Initial allocation of players into the league would be based upon the existing in-game rating system
  • If a player wishes to not play in a league, and to play in normal randoms, just un-tick the box
  • Players would have THREE rating scores, one in pure randoms, one in the upper league, one in the lower league
  • Online stats will be shown for a players performance in EACH league.  So a player is likely to have a worse WR in the upper league, however, he IS playing in the upper league, and that will be visible to everyone, including recruiting clans.  If I were a clan leader, I’d be more interested in a player who can continue to perform in an “upper” league than in standard randoms
  • Players would be promoted/demoted from the lower to the upper league on a weekly basis (initial idea, top/bottom 5%), based upon their score within the league that they're being promoted/demoted from, taking the average from the previous 4 weeks
  • Leagues have NO impact upon Clanwars and is unrelated
  • Players trying to platoon must be in the same skill league area to be able to play in the upper or lower tiers.  If they're mixed, they can only play normal random games
  • Allocation of vehicle for games within the league uses the existing MM system

Key benefits:

• Better players get to avoid the frustration of watching their games turn into a lottery of who has the fewest tomatoes (i.e. 46% WR bots, who do zero damage in top tier tanks)
  • Inexperienced players get to avoid being owned by 500% crew unicums and actually get to play for more than 2 mins without hiding

Complicated system, but I am not against it at all. In fact I wish a lot of us here could say what constructive thoughts they have on the matter, I really do, so thank you Mr Sukebe for your suggestion! Those of us that play/have played WoT know how the MM over there simply does not work other than to put tanks on each side for a wipe/be wiped. Almost anything is better than that.

There was/is a discussion about XMV/no XVM for WoWs and how that may aggravate things, but what makes people tear their hair of is not that people have a different skill level or interest in how they play the game (or not play) and that it is a lottery if it is you who get the 42% WR 72 WN8 guys in Tiger II's or the other team. This will, and already is, an issue in WoWs as well but we're in beta so we have a possibility of nipping it in the bud by throwing ideas out there that might be something the devs may consider.

As I said initially, WoT is too far gone for change but WoWs is not. Dev's can experiment with whatever here and say it's beta, and subject to change. We can have a go and see what works, or not.

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,674 posts
5,558 battles

As said above, it'll be abused.

You'll get players that seal club. Now some of these will be doing it for stats, and those 'might' be put off by it displaying which league those games were in. Others however sinply do it because they immensely enjoy playing tier 2 with full equipment, 5 skill captains against people that havent worked out where to shoot yet, as they can sail around, get 6 kills, post "get rekkd noob" in all chat and generally feel smug about how "great" they are.

On the other hand you get what would be know in WoT as armchair rommels (so armchair napoleons?), that are terrible, but THINK they are amazing tacticians.

We had one yesterday. He went one way. Whole team went the otherway. He crashed into carrier that was parked behind island. Raged at carrier for being "in way".

Our team pushes one flank while BB support centre. Once we've got a DD or two into their cap with nothing to threaten them, our BB swing back towards our own base to defend it while our DD win the game for us. We're now winning 10-3, their base is being capped, nothing can make it back to stop us.

He (being dead of course). Starts raging that we're a noob team. That all our BB are noobs who aren't team players, and just want "easy kills".

Advanced mode will attract chumps like that like flies.

Sign in to follow this