Jump to content
Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
WG_IS_BAD

Playing Aircraft Carrier in 2020 is just like...

58 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[T3F]
Players
16 posts
1,576 battles

Playing CV being really frustrating.

 

edit: ( there was a video that made people upset )

  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[T3F]
Players
16 posts
1,576 battles
1 minutę temu, Miragetank90 napisał:

All I see is an epic fail at dodging flak.

 

How can you dodge that?

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
Just now, WG_IS_BAD said:

 

How can you dodge that?

With keyboard?

  • Funny 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
725 posts
12,203 battles

Funny, if all CV players would as worthless as the one in video Cvs would be no problem.

 

Unfortunatelly most know how to use WASD on keyboard :(

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
3,803 posts
11,267 battles
Just now, WG_IS_BAD said:

 

How can you dodge that?

How did you manage to play CV up until now without knowing how to dodge flak? 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MIRKO]
[MIRKO]
Players
104 posts
10,416 battles

well, you didn't even try to avoid flak - a serious mistake for a t8 CV in a t10 match.

 

But still - yes, I feel that playing CVs in t10 generally is not worth it. I really enjoyed my Shokaku (and still enjoy Kaga), while any match in a Hakuryu is just a terrible experience. The CVs are poorly balanced, especially at t10.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
1 minute ago, _Warfarin_ said:

How did you manage to play CV up until now without knowing how to dodge flak? 

The same way plenty of people get to tier 10 - just click "battle" button enough times. That is the only skill required.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,210 posts
9,265 battles
3 minutes ago, WG_IS_BAD said:

 

How can you dodge that?

Well...first you have to try to dodge it...can't dodge it if you don't try now can you?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
Players
1,721 posts
13,863 battles
19 minutes ago, WG_IS_BAD said:

 

How can you dodge that?

 

Flak follows certain rules. They spawn in a pattern with a bit of randomness to the exact position of the puffs, and at set intervals of time, in a predictive way based on where your planes are going to be.Turning your planes and/or varying your speed helps you dodge them. 

 

Generally speaking boosting in a straight line to target is a good way to get them wiped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAFT]
Players
9,877 posts
9,003 battles
8 minutes ago, _Warfarin_ said:

How did you manage to play CV up until now without knowing how to dodge flak? 

 

AA UP on all other tiers? :cap_yes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SWAMP]
Players
364 posts
2,683 battles
13 minutes ago, _Warfarin_ said:

How did you manage to play CV up until now without knowing how to dodge flak? 

I dunno, I played CVs for a good amount of battles before I understood that mechanic myself.
There is no tutorial in this game for new players that showcases how AA works, which leads to terrible results for the CV once flak puffs start appearing in large numbers at T6 (as in, T6 CV facing T8 ships) and above.
Eventually had to go to the forums to get a proper understanding of how the AA system works, and it wasn't straightforward to learn that stuff to begin with.

Personally I still can't reliably dodge flak even with knowing about how it works on paper, as I just can't seem to bleed speed fast enough and have the maneuverability to get out of a massive flak wall ahead. For newer players that must be even worse.

Personally i cba to play as a CV anymore, as the gameplay is quite boring and repetitive for me.
Hunting DDs and dodging flak gets really old after a while.
Much prefer to play DDs these days. :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,929 posts
16,185 battles
14 minutes ago, WG_IS_BAD said:

How can you dodge that?

Well... I know how you feel. It's not easy to try and pick this up at Tier VIII (as I found out while playing a Lexington recently). It's also not especially clear how you do it (especially if you're a glasses wearer like me, and have poor depth perception...). Because the CVs jump up 2 tiers at a time you can go from Ranger dropping bombs on an Omaha to Lexington vs Smolensk in the space of two games, and that's a challenge. Play the Tier VI CVs more to learn the ropes.

 

Generally the thing to do is to know the AA distances on the ship you're attacking. Flak normally goes from about 6k to 3k. When you're about to enter the flak zone, you start to sway the planes. The flak will tend to appear at a point based on your course and speed, so when you see one set you want to dodge away in the opposite direction and then sway back to try and misdirect the next set. You use your boost late to get within the 3k zone where the only damage you will take is continuous damage, which is much less dangerous. 

 

You also want to think about squad shortening - if your squadron has three attack waves and you're having trouble dodging flak , then drop your first attack away from red team ships. They'll go back to the carrier.... and if your next attack is less than optimal (i.e. a terrible failure) then you'll still have planes on the deck.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[T3F]
Players
16 posts
1,576 battles
On 6/5/2020 at 11:24 AM, Miragetank90 said:

 

Flak follows certain rules. They spawn in a pattern with a bit of randomness to the exact position of the puffs, and at set intervals of time. Turning your planes and/or varying your speed helps you dodge them. 

 

Generally speaking boosting in a straight line to target is a good way to get them wiped.

 

Thank you, didn't know that.

 

On 6/5/2020 at 11:27 AM, invicta2012 said:

Well... I know how you feel. It's not easy to try and pick this up at Tier VIII (as I found out while playing a Lexington recently). It's also not especially clear how you do it (especially if you're a glasses wearer like me, and have poor depth perception...). Because the CVs jump up 2 tiers at a time you can go from Ranger dropping bombs on an Omaha to Lexington vs Smolensk in the space of two games, and that's a challenge. Play the Tier VI CVs more to learn the ropes.

 

Generally the thing to do is to know the AA distances on the ship you're attacking. Flak normally goes from about 6k to 3k. When you're about to enter the flak zone, you start to sway the planes. The flak will tend to appear at a point based on your course and speed, so when you see one set you want to dodge away in the opposite direction and then sway back to try and misdirect the next set. You use your boost late to get within the 3k zone where the only damage you will take is continuous damage, which is much less dangerous. 

 

You also want to think about squad shortening - if your squadron has three attack waves and you're having trouble dodging flak , then drop your first attack away from red team ships. They'll go back to the carrier.... and if your next attack is less than optimal (i.e. a terrible failure) then you'll still have planes on the deck.

 

Thanks.

 

For people who like to joke of someone - I wasn't playing since beta. This is, i think, third time I've made an account and start to play. 

Still I feel like playing CV on tiers VIII - X is like pain in the [edited], even DD having so powerful AA that can wipe planes much faster than I can even turn, so I still don't get this dodgin thing.

Also fighters, cruisers having AA armada and every plane having fighter under a key. 

 

But I'm still having battles with 100k+ damage and 53% vr so I'm not a potato player.

 

edit: We don't need inflammatory remarks. 

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
On 6/5/2020 at 11:36 AM, WG_IS_BAD said:

 

Thank you, didn't know that.

 

 

Thanks.

 

For people who like to joke of someone - I wasn't playing since beta. This is, i think, third time I've made an account and start to play. 

Still I feel like playing CV on tiers VIII - X is like pain in the [edited], even DD having so powerful AA that can wipe planes much faster than I can even turn, so I still don't get this dodgin thing.

Also fighters, cruisers having AA armada and every plane having fighter under a key. 

 

But I'm still having battles with 100k+ damage and 53% vr so I'm not a potato player.

While tier 4 is tragically bad when it comes to learning CVs due to next to no AA dps and flak, with tier 6 being where you start seeing an actual amounts of flak that should punish any maneuvering mistakes.

 

Once you get hang of flak evasion, it should struck you how futile AA is when it comes to preventing aerial damage unless you literally bump into entire team onto single map square. Which is as designed, because if you can deny CV doing damage, whats the point of CV with no utility besides "hehe bombs go woosh"

 

On 6/5/2020 at 11:36 AM, WG_IS_BAD said:

edited*

Imagine "you reap what you sow". You came up with buttsore, you received answers of equally high quality.

Should you ask normally "what I do wrong" or "how do I carrier" and you would receive plenty of good answers

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,929 posts
16,185 battles
11 minutes ago, WG_IS_BAD said:

Still I feel like playing CV on tiers VIII - X is like pain in the [edited], even DD having so powerful AA that can wipe planes much faster than I can even turn, so I still don't get this dodgin thing.

Also fighters, cruisers having AA armada and every plane having fighter under a key.

Then you're probably better than me! 

 

The higher up the Tiers you go, the more CV play becomes a matter of resource management and patience. The longer the battle goes on, the more the ships disperse and the more AA mounts they lose. Save your planes as much as possible for later in the game. Early doors you'll be looking at around 1/3rd losses, at least, from most attack runs, so concentrate on spotting and helping the team, then you can profit later.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
138 posts
2,921 battles

Im not good cv, and flak number in t6 is less, but you gotta approach in a different vector (not directly to the ship) and time the flac bursts. That way you can make a turn and drop. Depending on AA range you may need to do this a couple of times before being able to drop. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
8,196 posts
9,087 battles
40 minutes ago, WG_IS_BAD said:

It was literally 1s and all planes were gone.

At 0:24 you enter AA, at 0:27 you get devastated by the flak. You had 3s to press A or D, preferably in combination with either S or W to not go head first into a black wall of flak. And you should know where it spawns. It spawns exactly where you were heading when you entered the area.

 

But yes, this highlights CV play in 2020, or at least one side of it, when those who have no idea of AA mechanics just fail hard, while the next unicum loses 3 planes and chunks you for 20k. 

2 minutes ago, Vivi_Ornitier said:

Im not good cv, and flak number in t6 is less, but you gotta approach in a different vector (not directly to the ship) and time the flac bursts. That way you can make a turn and drop. Depending on AA range you may need to do this a couple of times before being able to drop. 

Vector is ok, just dodge properly. Coming from the front reduces the time you need to get to 3.5 km where flak stops spawning.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
392 posts
3,934 battles
51 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

Funny, if all CV players would as worthless as the one in video Cvs would be no problem.

 

Unfortunatelly most know how to use WASD on keyboard :(

Actually, the vast majority of the CV player base are worthless, so there is that.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 52 Minuten, _Warfarin_ sagte:

How did you manage to play CV up until now without knowing how to dodge flak? 

By dropping torps out of flak range? :Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
138 posts
2,921 battles
6 minutes ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

At 0:24 you enter AA, at 0:27 you get devastated by the flak. You had 3s to press A or D, preferably in combination with either S or W to not go head first into a black wall of flak. And you should know where it spawns. It spawns exactly where you were heading when you entered the area.

 

But yes, this highlights CV play in 2020, or at least one side of it, when those who have no idea of AA mechanics just fail hard, while the next unicum loses 3 planes and chunks you for 20k. 

Vector is ok, just dodge properly. Coming from the front reduces the time you need to get to 3.5 km where flak stops spawning.

Approaching ship directly in straight line is ok? Not sarcasm, genuine question. I wanna get better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×