Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Buford_T_Justice_Sr

Chat bans

51 comments in this topic

Players
126 posts
14,654 battles

Guys, I have to mention the elephant in the room: Chat bans. I understand you want to keep chat clean and all and I admit that I am not always a friendly driver, especially after losing 10 battles in a row due to AFK/runners. Now I usually call those guys potatoes and every now and again I get a chat ban. I can live with that, because it calms me down as well, but the latest one was over 2 weeks (15 days), which I think is totally over the top. Especially because you never get told which word wasn't liked. Come on guys, 15 days is a joke, and not even a funny one.

If you really wanted to keep chat clean, you would have an automatic filter, but you don't, and you won't tell folks what they have done wrong. I think that's just bad behaviour. I don't consider the word idiot a terrible/bannable word. If you do, maybe you should say that or, even better, automatically censor them in battle chat.

As it stands right now, this is just a tool to chat ban people at random.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,354 posts
10,110 battles

Inb4 the "BuT iVe NeVeR bEeN ChEtBeNt"-squad arrives.... 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[CATS]
Players
26,868 posts
14,396 battles
20 minutes ago, ArsenicIndigo said:

Guys, I have to mention the elephant in the room: Chat bans. I understand you want to keep chat clean and all and I admit that I am not always a friendly driver, especially after losing 10 battles in a row due to AFK/runners. Now I usually call those guys potatoes and every now and again I get a chat ban. I can live with that, because it calms me down as well, but the latest one was over 2 weeks (15 days), which I think is totally over the top. Especially because you never get told which word wasn't liked. Come on guys, 15 days is a joke, and not even a funny one.

If you really wanted to keep chat clean, you would have an automatic filter, but you don't, and you won't tell folks what they have done wrong. I think that's just bad behaviour. I don't consider the word idiot a terrible/bannable word. If you do, maybe you should say that or, even better, automatically censor them in battle chat.

As it stands right now, this is just a tool to chat ban people at random.

Do not get banned repeatedly.

The more you get bannd, the longer the ban.

• Cool 2

[PRT]
Players
176 posts
7,806 battles

Well, I actually  Think its fair to chat ban people that cant behave like adults. Yes, there are many bad players out there. Puking on them in the shat after you lost 10 battles in a row  wont make them any better. Going into battle, especially randoms, you cant, sad to say, have any expectations on your teammates, neither on the enemy team players. The MM is far from perfect. But its a game, and if you want better teammates,  I suggest you stick to CB. And by the way, talking  CB, do you want to join "my" clan? We need players. :Smile_playing:

• Cool 4

Players
562 posts
3,540 battles

Chan bans make no sense to begin with and here's why. Btw, this is not me condoning being an obnoxious toxic D-head but I'll just raise the following points which make the chat ban system contradicting and flawed.

1. If you don't want to read obnoxious text, then simply block "bad words" from chat and btw it's easy to add every sneaky and clever arrangement of numbers and symbols that would spell a cus word. So if a player does not select in options to filter bad language then this must mean you WANT to read bad language, in which case there's really no problem since you chose to see it when the option was there to not see it.

Does this make sense to you guys? There's an option to filter bad language therefore leaving an option to show bad language is 1. A consented player choice option and 2. An option that WG for whatever reason has added.

If WG were serious enough about bad language to as to chat ban players then simply remove bad language from chat via filters. End of, problem solved. But for whatever reason WG clearly allow players, albeit temporarily, to type whatever the F they want in chat and it gets shown if a player has not filtered bad language. So why in a game that chat bans players for the use of bad language is bad language shown lol?? It makes no sense and also it makes no sense for players that are bothered by bad language to not have bad language filtered.

So for me it's a case of dumb and dumber. WG are dumb for not filtering bad language and allowing it to get shown to begin with and players that get offended by bad language but don't filter it are dumber. It literally makes no sense. 

Oh and btw, if during a rare battle a teammate inexcusably or intentionally wipes me out with torps you can bet your backside my knee-jerk reaction is to call him a dumb braindead fu**wit. Because that's exactly what he is.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 26 Minuten, Sir_Sinksalot sagte:

If you don't want to read obnoxious text, then simply block "bad words" from chat and btw it's easy to add every sneaky and clever arrangement of numbers and symbols that would spell a cus word.

According to the PG rating, this is a game for preschool children... show me the odd kid that makes the right choice regarding chat filters or the stoic parent peeping over his shoulder 24/7 to keep watch for inappropriate chat content for minors. :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 2

Players
562 posts
3,540 battles
6 minutes ago, MementoMori_6030 said:

According to the PG rating, this is a game for preschool children... show me the odd kid that makes the right choice regarding chat filters or the stoic parent peeping over his shoulder 24/7 to keep watch for inappropriate chat content for minors. :Smile_sceptic:

Agreed and comes back to my point which is of course, why is bad language not filtered at all times then? If it's an offense to use bad language resulting in players being chat banned weeks then why is it shown? It literally makes no sense.

I could apply the same sentiments to team damage or "FF"(friendly fire). If shooting your teammates is not allowed and will result in penalties and bans, as it should obviously, then why have FF as a part of the game? Again it makes no sense. I play primarily Ops in which FF is not included and it the better for it. I was originally opposed to it's removal from WoT but I was wrong and the game didn't become dumbed down or packs of brawling players with shells flying in indiscriminately from all angles it actually made the game much better. I know I'm drifting off topic a bit here but it's the same "why have it at all then?" sentiments and all the FF serves is to make life harder for a noobs learning the game because some FF will inevitably happen along with some ship collisions while players are preoccupied fighting for their lives against other ships and not in a position to notice little Timmy and DD racing into their path. So all FF serves is to make life a bit more unpleasant, unfair penalties and punishments for those that were either learning or in a rare unavoidable scenario along with offering a really stupid outlet for salty players to shotgun their teammates and vent on their teammates. 

So with chat bans and FF my point comes back to, why even allow it then? Just remove the option, filter bad words, add the new colorful creations via numbers and symbols and also remove FF which serves absolutely no purpose when all is said and done. Suddenly the games better and nobody is getting banned for anything or penalties etc. You can type all you want in chat and it simply won't get through the filter and from playing both WoT without FF and game modes in WoWs without FF it's much the better. You don't get weirdos perma-shooting their teammates "because they can" and as is usually the case, everyone is trying to make every shot count and get as much as they can from each battle so you just don't get that bs and if on occasion some teammates clonk ships, nothing about it, and they move on free of penalties and caring.  

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 2 Minuten, Sir_Sinksalot sagte:

then why have FF as a part of the game?

I would rather ask: Why is it not consistently part of the game? Ramming produces single digit damage (?), depth charges don't bother friendly subs, AAA (if not bugged) is so precise that it only does damage to enemy planes even if they are in a dogfight with allied planes, 2ndary hits on allies do nothing afaik...

[XTREM]
Players
1,721 posts
13,863 battles

After all these years of play, I've only been chatbanned once - last month or so.

I called some guy a retard. Very toxic. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[KITEN]
Players
284 posts
14,082 battles

Chat bans are lame, people are just too snowflake to use the mute button. Its always the same, on social media people complain about 'death threats' and other nonsense when they can simply use the block button. Guess this is too difficult for some people to understand. Instead, because a potato clan gets butthurt you get several reports and a chat ban.

• Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
26,868 posts
14,396 battles
1 minute ago, JohnMac79 said:

Chat bans are lame, people are just too snowflake to use the mute button. Its always the same, on social media people complain about 'death threats' and other nonsense when they can simply use the block button. Guess this is too difficult for some people to understand. Instead, because a potato clan gets butthurt you get several reports and a chat ban.

You are funny. What is the point of social media when you mute everyone pre-emptivly?

And when you mute people after the threat, you already got the threat.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[KITEN]
Players
284 posts
14,082 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

You are funny. What is the point of social media when you mute everyone pre-emptivly?

And when you mute people after the threat, you already got the threat.

What are you even talking about? Where did i say anything about pre emptive muting? I didnt did i, admit it. You just love to argue, gotta get that post count up i guess.

Death threats are stupid and anyone taking them serious is also stupid. Well done for missing the point as always though. 10/10.

• Bad 2

[CATS]
Players
26,868 posts
14,396 battles

What are you even talking about? Where did i say anything about pre emptive muting? I didnt did i, admit it. You just love to argue, gotta get that post count up i guess.

Death threats are stupid and anyone taking them serious is also stupid. Well done for missing the point as always though. 10/10.

Is it already too much for you to read two whole sentences?

And yes, ignoring criminal activity is a great tactic to reduce criminal behaviour in society :cap_like:

I suggest you read a bit about the consequences of online attacks.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[TES6L]
Players
228 posts
11,100 battles

I am chatbanned currently because of some not very bad words like "bloody peasants"

Some snowflake which never heard of Monty Python report that.

[KITEN]
Players
284 posts
14,082 battles
14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Is it already too much for you to read two whole sentences?

And yes, ignoring criminal activity is a great tactic to reduce criminal behaviour in society :cap_like:

I suggest you read a bit about the consequences of online attacks.

It is you who has a problem with reading as evident from your reply claiming i said things i clearly did not. Stop lying and making stuff up. Most death threats online are fabricated for attention and victim card playing, and the rest almost entirely go unreported to police, this is a fact. Instead of reporting it they complain on social media about it. If you think otherwise y ou are either a liar or delusional.

'Consequence of online attacks...' lmao! Oh no i am bullied on the internets! :Smile_facepalm:

The point stands. If you dont like what people say ignore it. Use the block button, it is there for a reason.

[CATS]
Players
26,868 posts
14,396 battles
2 minutes ago, JohnMac79 said:

It is you who has a problem with reading as evident from your reply claiming i said things i clearly did not. Stop lying and making stuff up. Most death threats online are fabricated for attention and victim card playing, and the rest almost entirely go unreported to police, this is a fact. Instead of reporting it they complain on social media about it. If you think otherwise y ou are either a liar or delusional.

'Consequence of online attacks...' lmao! Oh no i am bullied on the internets! :Smile_facepalm:

The point stands. If you dont like what people say ignore it. Use the block button, it is there for a reason.

• I never claimed you did, since you did not specify when the muting occurs and muting after an attack is rather pointless, I gave you two options, which already overwhelmed your reading ability
  • I am not talking about made up attacks
  • and when you do not take it seriously, you just show off your cluelessness

[KITEN]
Players
284 posts
14,082 battles

I think there is genuinely something wrong with you. Go out, get some fresh air, lurking on these forums 24 hours a day is evidently not good for you. Making stuff up just so you can argue is not cool whiffs of attention seeking. :Smile_hiding:

You bore me, so i will simply ignore you from now on, which proves my point nicely about muting or ignoring people. Have a nice day.

• Bad 2

Players
2,905 posts
46 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

I called some guy a retard.

Ah, not cool man :):Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,868 posts
14,396 battles

I think there is genuinely something wrong with you.

Like someone who belittles online attacks?

[MORIA]
Players
7,350 posts
36,697 battles
1 hour ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Agreed and comes back to my point which is of course, why is bad language not filtered at all times then? If it's an offense to use bad language resulting in players being chat banned weeks then why is it shown? It literally makes no sense

Because WG is lazy. 

• Funny 1

Players
562 posts
3,540 battles
1 hour ago, JohnMac79 said:

Personally I find a good online blow-out hilarious and wouldn't switch chat off or mute someone no matter what since I'd only miss the show lol. In any case, online gaming shi*talk is just that, shi*talk, it has no deep meaning and 99.999% of gamers being toxic don't mean a thing they say and it's pure heat of the moment game frustration which I can certainly understand as can most gamers I'd imagine. But ya, the option to mute players or even turn off chat entirely is there if a players is that sensitive.

Thing is though, the person being toxic is not only hilarious to read and troll but they are also making a compete tit out of themselves which is also hilarious. If someone wishes me dead or to get a disease and what not, it's water off a ducks back I know they don't mean it and is all forgotten about come battles end. But I can appreciate that some people get their feathers ruffled by that toxic behavior too, are actually taking what's said on board and it really bothers them so why certain words aren't just censored by default is why I think the whole chat-ban system really makes no sense. Like I said, if being toxic in chat is rule breaking and considered an offense then WG are equally not helpful by not applying a filter system to block such words.  

• Cool 2

Players
126 posts
14,654 battles

I think the reason why there is no general bad-word-ban is because WG want to be able to deliberately mute people, for whatever reason. I'm not saying they have an eye on me because I'm not relevant enough, but please... 15 days is a joke, this is deliberately negatively impacting my team because I can't communicate with them. IMO this should be reviewed and the maximum should be one week and even that only for the most severe offenses (if they continue to allow everyone to say what they want but then ban them when they do).

Players
126 posts
14,654 battles
1 minute ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Personally I find a good online blow-out hilarious and wouldn't switch chat off or mute someone no matter what since I'd only miss the show lol. In any case, online gaming shi*talk is just that, shi*talk, it has no deep meaning and 99.999% of gamers being toxic don't mean a thing they say and it's pure heat of the moment game frustration which I can certainly understand as can most gamers I'd imagine. But ya, the option to mute players or even turn off chat entirely is there if a players is that sensitive.

Thing is though, the person being toxic is not only hilarious to read and troll but they are also making a compete tit out of themselves which is also hilarious. If someone wishes me dead or to get a disease and what not, it's water off a ducks back I know they don't mean it and is all forgotten about come battles end. But I can appreciate that some people get their feathers ruffled by that toxic behavior too, are actually taking what's said on board and it really bothers them so why certain words aren't just censored by default is why I think the whole chat-ban system really makes no sense. Like I said, if being toxic in chat is rule breaking and considered an offense then WG are equally not helpful by not applying a filter system to block such words.  

Could not agree more. If you're a snowflake, there should be a default chat filter. For everyone else, give them the opportunity to read all the salty chat and take part in it. It's part of the game. This is not a dating site where chat has to be "snowflake-safe", this is a game that people feel strongly about and if things don't go the way they feel, it should be ok to say that. "I don't think this went well" isn't really anything useful to make some players think. I have had so many battles where, from the start, a DD went backwards towards a map corner and just kept sitting there. What am I supposed to do? It is infuriating and I should be allowed to say so.

Maybe, as a suggestion, if a ship hasn't moved within 90 seconds from battle start, make them take damage. But especially in ranked, seeing a DD afk the entire battle (yes, this has happened more than once) is just so frustrating. Granted, I shouldn't call them an idiot, but at the end of the day, that is exactly what they are.

And mind you, you will never know what exactly caused a chat ban, they will never tell you under "GDPR".

[MORIA]
Players
7,350 posts
36,697 battles

While I was playing CVs a lot in 2019 (I'm not playing them that much now) I was constantly banned cause someone was insulting me and I'm not a pigeon so I was firing back at him. In this year I was only chatbanned twice (once 24h and then a 3 or 6 day ban I don't remember) which is totally fine cause both were justified. 

Players
562 posts
3,540 battles
49 minutes ago, ArsenicIndigo said:

Could not agree more. If you're a snowflake, there should be a default chat filter. For everyone else, give them the opportunity to read all the salty chat and take part in it. It's part of the game. This is not a dating site where chat has to be "snowflake-safe", this is a game that people feel strongly about and if things don't go the way they feel, it should be ok to say that. "I don't think this went well" isn't really anything useful to make some players think. I have had so many battles where, from the start, a DD went backwards towards a map corner and just kept sitting there. What am I supposed to do? It is infuriating and I should be allowed to say so.

Maybe, as a suggestion, if a ship hasn't moved within 90 seconds from battle start, make them take damage. But especially in ranked, seeing a DD afk the entire battle (yes, this has happened more than once) is just so frustrating. Granted, I shouldn't call them an idiot, but at the end of the day, that is exactly what they are.

And mind you, you will never know what exactly caused a chat ban, they will never tell you under "GDPR".

"You purposefully shot me with your torpedoes and killed me and ruined my battle my friend. I feel we need to have a chat about what you did after the battle. Thank you for your understanding and good luck with the rest of the battle" Ahahahaha!!

I actually didn't realize this chat "bad words" filtering system wasn't in WoWs. Just shows how all over the place WG are and how their chat ban system makes no sense. Selecting a chat filter system is actually the first option in WoT as you can see from the screenshot. This is what puzzles me even more with WoT and goes back to my first points about how is any should actually get chat banned when the option to sensor bad language is there and that if a person saw bad language and it offended them, THEY are actually just stupid since the option to filter it is there and by that logic they have actually consented to it by not switching it on. Plus WG are even more stupid for actually making chat filtering an option. Like I said, if WG want to go lashing players with chat bans then IMPLEMENT THE CHAT FILTER AS DEFAULT, problem solved. That way, little Timmy Snowflake who just can't help himself not to use chat filter like he should and is clearly some sort of masochist, won't be able to force himself to read toxic chat and feel the need to cry off to support about a matter he as entirely control over himself with several chat setting options. But hey... lash guys with chat bans and team killing bans when the option to remove both is there and has always been there in a hilarious showing of ironic hypocrisy.  :Smile_facepalm:

BrUPe1Q.jpg

Edit- Also, as you can see from my WoT chat options I have actially disabled battle chat. Why? Simple. The system is just as sensitive and so regardless of having 100 impeccable clean good mannered and helpful hardworking teammate battles, it would only take for calling some idiot an idiot in one rare salty moment in one rare battle to get a chat ban but unlike WoWs, when you get chat banned in WoT, it applies to ALL forms of chat including clan chat and so for me I just can go without battle chat entirely and that way there is no risk of getting chat banned. It's a bit sad really because I miss the toxic chat between teammates which I just find comical and cringe plus I like to know why some noob is pinging the map where I am or decided to crash into my tank all battle long but hey, it's whatever and not being able to talk in clan chat was a step too far so I just removed the option for me to get chat banned. You also get butthurt weirdos that like to report players for no reason at all or should I say, no actually offense related reason. So a guy that didn't say anything gets reported for bad language and a guy that played great gets reported for unsportsmanlike conduct and so on. At least if I have battle chat disabled I have a valid case to make to WG support should I ever get chat banned lol!