Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
xJ03xR081Nx

Getting frustrated after about a week and a half playing

81 comments in this topic

Players
46 posts
666 battles

Hello,

I've been playing for about a week and a half and have only 150 battles, a have bought one month of premium and overall i am liking the game.

I am grinding the USN BB line and i am right now at tier VIII and had to sell all my other ships to buy and equip North Carolina, it was actually a nightmare to grind Colorado and i was really excited to get North Carolina but unfortunanely after about maybe 20 Battles with it i am really frustrated, not about the ship itself but i have the impression the game also changed compared to lower tiers.

I am barely hiting any citadels or even doing any significant damage even against CCs full broadside and less than 15km away and this in almost every match, sometimes i see multiple shots hiting broadside and only doing 1300 damage and this is definately the damage i see most of the time, i even have less average damage with NC than New Mexico go figure. 

It's like the game is not registering the hits, a few games ago i launched a full salvo to another NC at about 18km, i was zooming in to see the shots landing but i misjudged the speed and only one shot hit like the tip of NC and to my surprise it counted as a 30k damage citadel, i was wtf, i don't remember seeing this behaviour in lower tiers, even with Colorado i was consistently hiting citadels.

Let's see how tomorrow goes but if this continues i am not renewing my premium account and will quit the game, i am not really a multiplayer gamer i am a bit older almost 40yo and i really enjoy playing relaxing games like Snowrunner, Red Dead Redemption 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Total War games (single player only) you get the point but i was really enjoying WOW because it's more slow paced than competitive games and you have the time to actually play at your own pace but i really hate games that frustrate me.

Sorry about the rant and have a good night.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
222 posts
6,937 battles

My advice, stick longer to lower tiers, and try another lines. The game change a lot in high tiers and its difficult to get used so fast. The more the ships you play at mid-low tiers the better.  Also last weeks the game servers are quite overload cause the COVID-19. And have some desync issues that show more in high tiers cause you played for further away. Mid tiers can be very fun too. 

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
5 minutes ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

Hello,

I've been playing for about a week and a half and have only 150 battles, a have bought one month of premium and overall i am liking the game.

I am grinding the USN BB line and i am right now at tier VIII and had to sell all my other ships to buy and equip North Carolina, it was actually a nightmare to grind Colorado and i was really excited to get North Carolina but unfortunanely after about maybe 20 Battles with it i am really frustrated, not about the ship itself but i have the impression the game also changed compared to lower tiers.

I am barely hiting any citadels or even doing any significant damage even against CCs full broadside and less than 15km away and this in almost every match, sometimes i see multiple shots hiting broadside and only doing 1300 damage and this is definately the damage i see most of the time, i even have less average damage with NC than New Mexico go figure. 

It's like the game is not registering the hits, a few games ago i launched a full salvo to another NC at about 18km, i was zooming in to see the shots landing but i misjudged the speed and only one shot hit like the tip of NC and to my surprise it counted as a 30k damage citadel, i was wtf, i don't remember seeing this behaviour in lower tiers, even with Colorado i was consistently hiting citadels.

Let's see how tomorrow goes but if this continues i am not renewing my premium account and will quit the game, i am not really a multiplayer gamer i am a bit older almost 40yo and i really enjoy playing relaxing games like Snowrunner, Red Dead Redemption 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Total War games (single player only) you get the point but i was really enjoying WOW because it's more slow paced than competitive games and you have the time to actually play at your own pace but i really hate games that frustrate me.

The NC shells have a tendency to hang a little longer in the air than maybe you are used to so you may need to give a little extra lead than you would expect. Stick with it, you'll get the hang of it.

• Cool 1

Players
46 posts
666 battles
À l'instant, Furius_Marius a dit :

My advice, stick longer to lower tiers, and try another lines. The game change a lot in high tiers and its difficult to get used so fast. The more the ships you play at mid-low tiers the better.  Also last weeks the game servers are quite overload cause the COVID-19. And have some desync issues that show more in high tiers cause you played for further away. Mid tiers can be very fun too. 

I know low tiers are fun i quite enjoyed playing with New Mexico but unfortunanely i have sold all the other ships and have only NC. I was thinking reaching Tier X and once there make enough money to buy all the previous USN BBs. 

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
1 minute ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I know low tiers are fun i quite enjoyed playing with New Mexico but unfortunanely i have sold all the other ships and have only NC. I was thinking reaching Tier X and once there make enough money to buy all the previous USN BBs. 

It is much better in this game to go up through the tiers slowly and to try to play as many ship classes from as many nations as possible as this way you can more rapidly learn the capabilities of the ships you will face.

• Cool 6

Players
46 posts
666 battles
Il y a 3 minutes, xxNihilanxx a dit :

The NC shells have a tendency to hang a little longer in the air than maybe you are used to so you may need to give a little extra lead than you would expect. Stick with it, you'll get the hang of it.

I like the ship and i see the shots hiting the target and my hiting ratio is actually the same as the previous ships at about 26% i would like to hit more but it is what it is, as Furious_Marius said it could be the servers i don't really know how the servers are on this game because i have not played long enough.

• Cool 1

Players
46 posts
666 battles
Il y a 7 minutes, xxNihilanxx a dit :

It is much better in this game to go up through the tiers slowly and to try to play as many ship classes from as many nations as possible as this way you can more rapidly learn the capabilities of the ships you will face.

I would agree with you 15 years ago, but unfortunanely slowly grinding all the other classes and countries is way out of my league, i am at home because of the current health situation and i get to play more but as soon as i get back to work i am afraid i will not have the time to spend all my gaming time grinding WOW, don't get me wrong i am quite enjoying the game but i will shift to another game (Cyberpunk is my guess) in a few months. I have seen people with +20k battles and i'm not seeing myself commiting that much time to a single game, but this is definately a game that i'm seeing myself coming back to it from time to time.

Players
886 posts
10,016 battles
28 minutes ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I like the ship and i see the shots hiting the target and my hiting ratio is actually the same as the previous ships at about 26% i would like to hit more but it is what it is, as Furious_Marius said it could be the servers i don't really know how the servers are on this game because i have not played long enough.

T8 is the range of modern battleships and not rebuilds, so the armour is heavier and they are consistently faster ships. You will also be seeing T9/T10 ships which a totally different class of enemy. Keep grinding, use your flags and get enough credits together to try other lines. 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,531 posts
13,790 battles
2 hours ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I am grinding the USN BB line and i am right now at tier VIII

This is your problem right here - you're advancing up the tiers far too fast.

2 hours ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I was thinking reaching Tier X and once there make enough money to buy all the previous USN BBs.

I'm afraid this isn't going to work very well, unless you want to spend quite a lot of money on a permaflage for the T10; you'll also need a *lot* of silver to buy the actual ships.

Some suggestions:

• Play a much wider range of ship types and stick to lower tiers for a while (T6 max, perhaps; I would normally say lower, but your WR appears to be rather good for someone with only 150 battles). The aim is to get a handle on all the classes; besides you possibly finding things other than BBs are fun, at the very least it'll help you counter what they're trying to do to you.
  • The way the game's economy is set up it becomes much harder to earn decent amounts of silver at higher tiers without spending money; with a premium account, you usually need to be doing quite a lot of damage at T9+ to make a useful profit. T10 ships with a permaflage generally make quite a lot of silver, but you need to know you'll get a lot of use from said ship to make the doubloon spend worthwhile.
  • Join a clan: besides having people to division with/learn from, you'll get economic bonuses (assuming they have a developed base).
  • Ships at lower tiers are much less expensive than higher tier ones - this gives you a lot of scope for experimenting and trying different things. Take the opportunity.
  • Recall that every time you sell a ship, you lose half the silver value - that really mounts up. There is a lot to be said for keeping, say, ships from T6-8, as credit earners (and for use in Ops for T6-7).
  • The point of the game is not to get to T10 as quickly as possible, so enjoy the journey; there are a lot of great ships en-route to the various lines' T10s (in some cases, they're better ships than the relevant T10!). The game is more likely to get stale very quickly if you just play one ship over and over again, although it'll help your WR (not that WR is worth getting excitable about, at least not early on).

Overall, bear in mind that WOWS is very rewarding (IMO), but it does have a long learning curve; you will probably have a lot more fun if you don't rush. Also, be mindful that mistakes are generally likely to be punished much more at higher tiers, and you're far more likely to misplay if you haven't taken the time to acquire the skill-set that is usually developed by playing many different ships, across many different branches and nations...

• Cool 7

[GW_KR]
Players
235 posts
12,403 battles
3 hours ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I would agree with you 15 years ago, but unfortunanely slowly grinding all the other classes and countries is way out of my league, i am at home because of the current health situation and i get to play more but as soon as i get back to work i am afraid i will not have the time to spend all my gaming time grinding WOW, don't get me wrong i am quite enjoying the game but i will shift to another game (Cyberpunk is my guess) in a few months. I have seen people with +20k battles and i'm not seeing myself commiting that much time to a single game, but this is definately a game that i'm seeing myself coming back to it from time to time.

I am older than you. I love the total war games very much as well and never thought I would stick to one game for this long. But here I am, almost 3 years later and 10000 games in. Am I good? No. Below average I would say, but I really enjoy this game despite a lot of things. I liked the usn bbs. I actually liked Colorado which I seem to be one of the few that did. I am still grinding NC, but have played Iowa and Montana on the test server and the Iowa is a hoot!!!

My advice is also to stick with it. I work full time and squeeze a game in when I can. Get a premium. With coal, fxp or dubloons. It will vastly help your economy. In your case I would suggest Massa, Georgia or Alaska to help with your captain. 

This game grows on you, I find. 

Good luck and happy huntings!

• Cool 3

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 5 Stunden, xJ03xR081Nx sagte:

I've been playing for about a week and a half

Maybe you are not ready for a long-term relationSHIP... :Smile_trollface:

But seriously: It's more fun and balance at T1-T6.

• Funny 1

Players
2,780 posts
19,099 battles

Also reading OP it sounds like he has desync issues as well.

• Cool 1

Players
1,512 posts
7,079 battles
7 hours ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I researched the NC about two weeks ago, so I have some fresh experience. Colorado is one of my highest winrate ships. There are many factors that can cause you making less damage.

1. You're matched with higher skill players at T8. Most of them are better dodging shots, they do not sail broadside without actively using the ASWD keys.

2. BBs can angle against your AP causing richolets. Some BBs (e.g. Vladivostok) have much more armour. Also CAs have better armor.

3. Some cruisers (CLs) have thin armor and you just overpen them, without causing much damage. You must memorize which ships you overpen, and shot them only when they angle.

4. NC shells are slow, you need to get used to how much additional lead you need for different distances and speeds.

I also agree that you shouldn't rush the T10 with one line. You need to experience different ship types to know their mindset (i.e. what is their weakness). Also you make less and less money with non premium ships at higher tiers. Furthermore, T10 games can be boring, as a lot of them is about long distance sniping. A lot of T9 tech tree ships are either power crept or designed to frustrate you before reaching T10. And personaly I found that I get burned out by the game quickly by grinding only one ship. For me the ideal is to play till the first win to get the daily first win bonus, and then play with another ship.

Also I'd consider buying a premium ship. I'd go with the Arizona, it's similar to New Mexico and Colorado, but has much more precise guns, so it's more rewarding. A bit less strong against BBs, but still quite good, and a cruiser killer. It's not the top money maker in the game, as it's a tier 6 premium, but has a reasonable pricing if you buy it from the armory with the 25% coupon. Apart from making money, it accelerates your captain skill progression on the USN BB line, as you can share the same captain without transfer cost. Other premium BB is the Alabama, which is much more expensive and very similar to NC. The advantage that you can make more money, as it's T8 premium, but it will be as hard to play as the NC, so I would not buy it. There is the Massachusetts, too, which I'd avoid at this stage, as it has worse guns than the NC or Alabama, and needs at least a 14 point secondary build captain. Consider buying it later if you are still playing/enjoying the game.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,179 posts
9,213 battles
6 hours ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I was thinking reaching Tier X and once there make enough money to buy all the previous USN BBs.

Tier 10 isn't a tier for making money. Especially for new players. Even though your stats are exceptional for a new player and you have premium, you won't make that much money on tier 10. Go with tiers 6 and 7. If you sold all of your previous ships, I'm sorry but you're gonna have to start again or play NC for a while.

Try branching out a little. Try the cruisers, they're really fun.

1. They're not called CommunityContributors. They're either CAs (heavy cruisers) or CLs (light cruisers)
  2. Better get used to it. You're now meeting more experienced players at higher tiers which may not always sail broadside to you and let you devastate them.

[UA-NF]
Players
329 posts
6,316 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, xJ03xR081Nx sagte:

you can easily grind ten lines to tier 6-7. Don't go playing higher tiers until you learn basics and have at least 1000 games played, it gonna be frustrating for you, and it's gonna be frustrating for everybody on your team. And you gonna make less silver, cause winrate gonna be low, your damage per game gonna be low, and post battle service for high tier ships costs more. Less silver income in more expensive ships.

• Cool 1

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
155 posts
16,287 battles

Tier X is a moneysink, don’t expect to earn a lot of silver. 
And what you already noticed, the learning curve gets steeper. 
Better to stick to the lower tiers longer and try different lines/nations/ships. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,443 posts
15,702 battles

Hi all,

Hello,

This is sincere advice... :Smile_honoring:

Please please please take is SLOW with WoWs - the rushing of tiers for new player is very very counterproductive and the new player simply doesn't have time to learn the ropes - it only leads to frustration and quitting!

Just play lower tiers (i.e. up to Tier V) for at least 1000 battles and play CoOp and Operations until you know automatically how to position yourself and how to aim!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

When I first started (around 5 years ago) I started with USN Cruiser line... I remember playing hundreds of battles with my "St. Lois" and "Omaha" before moving forward... :Smile_medal:

• Cool 4

[JRM]
Players
6,537 posts
24,701 battles
7 hours ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

Hello,

Its understandable, esp if you didnt play this game before, I once thougjt just like you and still dont really play MMO games except for this one, you should join in a clan or at least div up with guys that can show you the ropes it will be a much better experience

• Cool 2

Players
46 posts
666 battles

Thank you all, ok maybe i am going too fast, it took me about 100 battles give it or take to reach tier VIII in the USN BB line so i imagine it will be the same with other nations, i am actually more inclined to grind a new nation than going back to another USN BB, if i am correct there are 5 more nations with BB lines that means 500 more battles in tiers IV to VII, by the time i unlock all tier VIII BBs i will have 600 battles total and more

experience. 

This seems a good plan, i was thinking going for the russian line next what do you think? I have about 4 millions in the bank and i just spent all my xp points in the hull upgrade for the NC i might have to play a few battles to get enough xp to unlock new ships.

Joining a clan would be nice but the problem is that i mostly play at night and talking to someone would possibly be a nuisance for my wife and kids, i have actually received a proposal in the chat to join a clan from my country (Portugal) but at the time i hadn't even unlocked the required level, joining an english speaking clan could be nice but i am not really comfortable enough in my speaking skills, i can write english but speaking is another story, i visited Edimbourgh one time and London another time and it was like a bit difficult to understand what people said.

Thanks again for the replies and have a good day.

• Cool 2

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles
8 hours ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

Hello,

Frustration is part of "game as service" model, after all spreadsheet says tilted players are more likely to spend on the game:cap_tea:

And then, "only doing 1300 damage" means you're aiming tad too high, as you've overpenning stuff or you're adding too little/too much lead and you're making holes in bow/stern. After all, 406mm guns were designed to make holes in battleships, not cruisers with barely any armor.

Unfortunately, due to desync (ship position you see doesn't match one on the server) which recently increased in size and frequency it can be annoying to get good guess how you should aim. 

And for "single player games" - well, it holds true in WoWs you play 1v23, instead 12v12, which always was, still is and with overall deterioration of the playerbase quality, will be the case

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[NECRO]
Players
1,584 posts
Vor 2 Stunden, Leo_Apollo11 sagte:

I remember playing hundreds of battles with my "St. Lois" and "Omaha" before moving forward... :Smile_medal:

St. Louis is expensive. You need to buy a new mouse every 100 games.

• Funny 8

Players
46 posts
666 battles
Il y a 6 minutes, Panocek a dit :

Frustration is part of "game as service" model, after all spreadsheet says tilted players are more likely to spend on the game:cap_tea:

And then, "only doing 1300 damage" means you're aiming tad too high, as you've overpenning stuff or you're adding too little/too much lead and you're making holes in bow/stern. After all, 406mm guns were designed to make holes in battleships, not cruisers with barely any armor.

Unfortunately, due to desync (ship position you see doesn't match one on the server) which recently increased in size and frequency it can be annoying to get good guess how you should aim. 

And for "single player games" - well, it holds true in WoWs you play 1v23, instead 12v12, which always was, still is and with overall deterioration of the playerbase quality, will be the case

I have no problems spending money on games, i have all dlc for the Hunter Call of the Wild and for Europa Univesalis IV ( you can call me retaded on this one i deserve it ) and many more games specially the ones i enjoy but i have seen WOW store and some ships costing +60$ i can guarantee you that it's not going to happen in this game, i was thinking buying the flags pack but i still have flags from the containers.

[AMOK]
Players
1,961 posts
8,591 battles
Vor 8 Stunden, xJ03xR081Nx sagte:

So if you just looking for some gap filler rushing to T10 maybe isn't the best idea even if you would stay longer. I also advice doing different lines and ship types just for the fun and it's easier to obtain several ships on lower tiers too.

Higher tiers can be quite frustrating with T10 on top where the "Creme de la Noobs" is meeting and celebrating a sh*t fest of different proportions, sometimes....mostly. I am playing this game since 5 years and i am happy that i don't sold ships so i can go down in tiers and try to find some of the fun the game once had. I like BBs but cruiser (a bit more difficult) are more fun imo maybe u give it a try. Some lines are fun even on T5-6.

But since this game is heading in a difficult direction i am spending my money elsewhere. And once Cyberpunk and IronHarvest is out my time account will probably sort out wows.

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles
3 minutes ago, xJ03xR081Nx said:

I have no problems spending money on games, i have all dlc for the Hunter Call of the Wild and for Europa Univesalis IV ( you can call me retaded on this one i deserve it ) and many more games specially the ones i enjoy but i have seen WOW store and some ships costing +60$ i can guarantee you that it's not going to happen in this game, i was thinking buying the flags pack but i still have flags from the containers.

Looking at last half year of WG marketing shenanigans, I'm afraid times of "spending only 60€ on a single ship" will become fond memory. Puerto Rico, Smaland, Hayate, all could cost you up to 200€. Or nothing, depending how you value your own time and sanity:cap_book:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this