Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
xER0h0UR

Ranked and How to improve it !

23 comments in this topic

[PROXY]
Players
70 posts
29,915 battles

How to improve Ranked battles so at least its a little more fun than it is at this time.

1) Remove the ability to save a Star
This will promote ALL the Team to play more as a Team and not to have people simply farming damage from distance.

2) Allow Divisions of 2
By allowing Divisions of a maximum of 2 you are allowing players to exhibit battle strategy instead of relying on others to HOPEFULLY commit with you.

• Bad 2

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,562 posts
32,379 battles
1 hour ago, xER0h0UR said:

This will promote ALL the Team to play more as a Team and not to have people simply farming damage from distance.

Suuure. The first couple of Ranked seasons there wasn't a "Save star" mechanic and do you think there was a better teamplay then now? It was introduced after lot of complains especially as there was a lot of cases where some players, if they though that game is lost would just throw their ship so that they can start next game. And playerbase was probably much better then. So no, removing saving star would not make ranked enjoyable. For many it would just extend their "ranked experience". And I'm pretty sure that the moment the saving star mechanic is removed we will still have numerous thread how ranked system is not good and request to return saving star.

IMO ranked system need complete overhaul and removing of the star system. Until then, I am against removing ability to save the star.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
716 posts
13,779 battles

The possibility to save a star is the only thing that allows average players to progress to higher ranks.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Players
838 posts
3,982 battles
8 minutes ago, asalonen said:

The possibility to save a star is the only thing that allows average players to progress to higher ranks.

Agree, but they could institute another "secured" rank (rank 6 or 5 or something) to partially offset that, or even some other mechanic.
That said, "average" players won't really top the leaderbord too often, so I'm curious to how much this helps the average player in practice.
WG surely won't give us that statistic though, so its all speculation for now.

• Cool 1

[ROUGH]
Players
268 posts
27,439 battles
55 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

Agree, but they could institute another "secured" rank (rank 6 or 5 or something) to partially offset that, or even some other mechanic.
That said, "average" players won't really top the leaderbord too often, so I'm curious to how much this helps the average player in practice.

Second this one! The first level of a league, namely lv10 and lv5, should be a "secured level". Me for example, I'd like to try more ships and bring diversity to the game, but the current system forced me to always bring only my best ship, so as to reach a higher rank ( or not to lose a star). I believe this is the case for most of the players: playing only 1 ship ALL the time (Sinop, Belfast, Jevis, period). It's boring either you play always the same ship and play against the same thing; and then many players will hate doing it rather than consider it as an interesting thing. WG, if you turn the players to hate sth rather than like it, you know what will happen next. That's the reason I prefer the ranked sprint much more.

[CAIN]
Players
4,994 posts
21,590 battles

I‘d prefer a qualification system where each player has to qualify himself in each class he want to participate with. 

If he fails in BBs for instance, he’s not allowed to play them in ranked. 

Damage should not be a key factor in these qualifications, but class dependent factors, I.e. tanking for BBs. 

Based on the qualification results, players get divided into leagues, potato league, average and advanced with rewards accordingly scaled. 

This way, a potato can grind his way to rank 1, with lesser rewards and not ruin other players games. 

Would require a little change to the ranks, so Rank 1 in the potato league becomes Rank 1, league 3 with other ranks being R1 L2 and R1 L1.

But WG won’t do that, as they are happy with ranked as it is. 

Potato’s need hundreds of games of failing hard to get to the higher ranks and of course they gonna buy signals and ships (or convert FXP to get higher tier ones). 

It is a source of income for WG, so we never ever gonna see a change. 

• Cool 2

Players
3,267 posts
19,709 battles
1 hour ago, Hirohito said:

That would replace a good mechanic with a terrible mechanic.

40 minutes ago, luokailk said:

Second this one! The first level of a league, namely lv10 and lv5, should be a "secured level". 

We had that back in season ### and it was an utter nightmare.

If anything WG should remove ALL secure leagues, it really is the only way to keep the glue sniffers at bay.

• Cool 1

[IFS]
Players
554 posts
22,091 battles

I am a 57% WR player in randoms (13K battles). 50% played solo. I cannot get past rank 10. Rank 11 is easy to go through, but you cross the invisible line when you reach tier 10. I can win 90% of my battles at rank 11, but probably 20% at rank 10. I am bounced backwards and forwards through this invisible line and this is not a co-incidence it is a proven trend for me as it has happened five plus times this season. I see crazy things going on with player actions and feel powerless to escape the quagmire that exists at rank 10. As a side note, I have ranked out twice before in 100-130 battles previously. This is just too much to bear this season. If you don't get to rank 8 or above in the first week, I think you will need to be super unicum to escape this mess at rank 10. At rank 10, if one of your important ships is not very good/inexperienced (and I mean a DD or Radar cruiser as the important ships, not a BB) you probably may as well quit to port. If you are really unlucky your Sinop will get RNG blessed by the almighty and come top after firing 1-2 good broadsides the whole match while everyone else actually tries to win the battle.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,235 battles
11 hours ago, Hirohito said:

It's actually the other way around, irrevocable ranks allow potatoes to climb the ranks.  This is how they fail their way into the rank 10 - 5 bracket especially. You'll notice that the hardest games you play will be the ones where your team is full of 45% winrate rank 10 players while your sweaty a$$ is trying to reach the next bracket. Not saving a star would just prolong this process.

[THESO]
Players
838 posts
3,982 battles
1 hour ago, walter3kurtz said:

It's actually the other way around, irrevocable ranks allow potatoes to climb the ranks.  This is how they fail their way into the rank 10 - 5 bracket especially. You'll notice that the hardest games you play will be the ones where your team is full of 45% winrate rank 10 players while your sweaty a$$ is trying to reach the next bracket. Not saving a star would just prolong this process.

The thing is, I don't really mind that.

As long as it's a 7v7, it gives me plenty of room to influence the battle on my own in order to nudge it into a win.
And on average, there should be just as many bad players on the enemy team.

People might have different opinions on that of course and that is fine.

[SLAPP]
Players
1,652 posts
9,908 battles

making damage less important for xp could help a lot with the save a star mechanic.

As mostly it is damage that allows  the bad players to save a star sniping and farming the damage from long rang.

But then again how do u fix that xp system reliably like that i have no idea.

[ROUGH]
Players
268 posts
27,439 battles
54 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

The thing is, I don't really mind that.

As long as it's a 7v7, it gives me plenty of room to influence the battle on my own in order to nudge it into a win.
And on average, there should be just as many bad players on the enemy team.

People might have different opinions on that of course and that is fine.

Agree!!

[BS4]
Players
236 posts
15,325 battles

My take on how to Improve:

Step 1) -Require someone selecting Ranked <insert other game mode as needed> the first time during that session to pass thru reCAPTCHA check

Step 2) option A) After passing reCAPTCHA, Have the players fill a short quiz about matters like: ''Can you torpedo/shoot at Green players'' & ''Whose fault it is if  your torpedoes hit an ally before you?''

Step 2) option B) After passing reCAPTCHA, Have the players play a mini-game of virtual Minesweeper or Chess till they win 3 out of 5

Step 2) Is critical to determine that there's at least some low intelligent in the applicants head.

Spoiler

Step 3) Offer the player to bybass step 2) with 'fee' of 1000 gold per game session

Spoiler

:Smile_trollface:

[THESO]
Players
838 posts
3,982 battles
28 minutes ago, lameoll said:

making damage less important for xp could help a lot with the save a star mechanic.

As mostly it is damage that allows  the bad players to save a star sniping and farming the damage from long rang.

But then again how do u fix that xp system reliably like that i have no idea.

It's mostly an issue regarding BBs and somewhat CAs I found.
As a DD I found that I can frequently top the scoreboard without "farming" damage and just doing general DD things like I am supposed to anyway.
Capping, defending caps, spotting ships and sinking enemy DDs (especially true for hybrid DDs) - those things are generally what you're supposed to do anyway, and gives healthy experience when you succeed.

With BBs especially though, they get rewarded XP-wise primarily by doing damage, so if they want to farm as much damage as possible, it encourages BBs to sit further back in order to live longer and do more damage, even though playing for the win would require them take more risks by being closer to the front line where they can deny areas to cruisers.

Players
574 posts
Vor 12 Stunden, luokailk sagte:

Second this one! The first level of a league, namely lv10 and lv5, should be a "secured level". Me for example, I'd like to try more ships and bring diversity to the game, but the current system forced me to always bring only my best ship, so as to reach a higher rank ( or not to lose a star). 

Thank you for - oh so eloquently - pointing out why secure ranks are garbage. While you would use them to bring ship diversity to the game, I personally would rather bring tactic diversity; i.e. driving really narrow circles in sector A1 in my Mutsu and torping in the general direction of the enemy on cooldown.

Secure ranks foster trolling, afk-ing and subpar decision making. The optimal number of them is zero.

Players
5,398 posts
24,445 battles
17 hours ago, xER0h0UR said:

Without saving a star, going to rank 1 would take ages. And how You can compensate for AFK, campers or people dying in yolo raids ?

I have played 10 games in cruiser, all the time figthing close to caps and in last 3 lost games, I did everything what I could (100k average, takeing caps, killing DD), but my random team was just bad. Without savings those 3 stars and having 50% WR, I would be in the same place.

Players
1,214 posts
10,131 battles

Well, I hate the star-saving mechanic, but I do see people's point.

To me this ranked season is impossible, because I simply don't have the ships and captains. I accept that and rank 10 and move on.

Mid-tier ranked (not sprint) is impossible against 19-point Belfast veterans. I have a Fiji with a 9 point captain, a Sinop with a 10 etc. I'll wait for the next tier 9 or 10 sprint for more rewards.

In the meantime, I levelled my Skåne and my Sinop in ranked and got to rank 9. Can't complain. But I will anyway.

Players
511 posts
8,247 battles
Vor 17 Stunden, xER0h0UR sagte:

without ability to save the star there's no reason to play ranked in first place, unless you enjoy this format, 7v7 in same tier, no CV in this season. This may be appealing to some players by itself, but 90% will quit after reaching their skill limit. At 50% winrate you gonna be stuck at rank 10 forewer, no motivation to keep playing, 52% winrate gonna give you very slow progression, so those players gonna drop out a bit later. And then better players gonna have to play vs other better players and their winrate gonna drop as well, only that they'll progress farther by that point. And with lower number of players MM gonna take forewer, especially on higher ranks. I bet you didn't even try to think, why star saving mechanics was introduced in a first place.

About farming damage from distance, there are only two ships that can do it, Nelson and King George, and those two are on every recommendation list from all famous streamers, as counter to Sinop. People listen to those recommendations and play them. Nothing can be done if people follow bad advices....

Players
999 posts
2,985 battles

What @Jethro_Grey said.

As an Average player I won't play Ranked as much as I'd maybe do with such a system as I know I'm not good enough to 'play in the Major leagues'.....

But alongside similar level players I would play more,

also such a system means I don't have to cope with El2aZeR or other God-level players.

Ranked should be an exception to everyone can play at any level, because losing a Ranked battle carries a penalty other than credits.

Provide a Ranked League system so I can play alongside other 'play for fun' type people and everybody wins.:cap_cool:

1v1 Ranked was good because I couldn't wreck anyone else's progress by not being as good.

Players
544 posts
10,396 battles

In my experience, how you manage RNG is very important.

A lot of the times i had a 5 winning streak

Then I lose a game, and lose another one.

Thats where you stop and call it a day. I failed stopping, and I could rank out after 190 games even though i had 60% winrate.

You have to manage your RNG winning streaks

• Cool 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
405 posts
7,336 battles
41 minutes ago, mantiscore said:

In my experience, how you manage RNG is very important.

A lot of the times i had a 5 winning streak

Then I lose a game, and lose another one.

Thats where you stop and call it a day. I failed stopping, and I could rank out after 190 games even though i had 60% winrate.

You have to manage your RNG winning streaks

I think you have a very valid point here. Win-lose-win-lose in ranked is very stressful and should be avoided. If you get these good luck winning streaks you need to quit immediately when you lose your first game to keep yourself at a proper playing level psychologically.

I seldom manage to do that though.

Players
381 posts
16,683 battles

Maybe some kind of league thing like CB where they have to win 3 out of 5 games? there are 3 leagues in ranked why not just add that before players can enter rank 10 and rank 5???

Sign in to follow this