Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ShDrew

90% GPU load ??

9 comments in this topic

Question

Players
1 post
1,084 battles

Henlo,

For some reason my WoWs client takes up 90+% of my GPU while i'm in the Port. The card itself is qute an old one but never had a problem with it and it still runs everything on medium-high quality but WoWs just can't seem to be satisfied with it. The game runs smoothly but i am worried about my GPU actually. I tried changing some settings but it takes 95% of the GPU in medium and in high quality as well, and when i set everything to minimum it still uses like 40+%. ??? What is this??? In a battle it dorps to around 60% with medium settings but in the port is still 95% on average. Has anyone else encountered something like this? And if yes how do i fix it?

Thanks in advance!

ShDrew

8 answers to this question

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,741 posts
24,924 battles

Check your settings for water. Picking a port with no water like Azur Lane, Designer's Table, or Naval base might help.

Players
3 posts
508 battles
10 hours ago, ShDrew said:

Henlo,

For some reason my WoWs client takes up 90+% of my GPU while i'm in the Port. The card itself is qute an old one but never had a problem with it and it still runs everything on medium-high quality but WoWs just can't seem to be satisfied with it. The game runs smoothly but i am worried about my GPU actually. I tried changing some settings but it takes 95% of the GPU in medium and in high quality as well, and when i set everything to minimum it still uses like 40+%. ??? What is this??? In a battle it dorps to around 60% with medium settings but in the port is still 95% on average. Has anyone else encountered something like this? And if yes how do i fix it?

Thanks in advance!

ShDrew

I find that to be pretty normal - running a RX580 Extreme and it still runs a bit high but is fine in game 
image.thumb.png.10bf8e34323458d82bf564db4858395f.png

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters, Beta Tester
2,105 posts
15,170 battles
2 hours ago, CaptainAwsome_2014 said:

GPU's are meant for and are designed to be used at high loads, in an ideal sitation 99-100% would be used.

But running at such a load when they don't need to unnecessarily reduces their lifespan.

Beta Tester
12 posts
1,975 battles
4 hours ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

But running at such a load when they don't need to unnecessarily reduces their lifespan.

It isn't the load that can shorten a GPU's lifespan, but instead the temperature. If a GPU is getting too hot, it will automatically throttle itself to prevent damage to it. Even then, a GPU would have to running at a high temperature for a significant amount of time to actually cause a noticeable reduction in it's lifespan.

Basically, it isn't an issue so you shouldn't worry about it.

[THESO]
Players
718 posts
13,788 battles
On 5/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, ShDrew said:

In a battle it drops to around 60% with medium settings but in the port is still 95% on average. Has anyone else encountered something like this? And if yes how do i fix it?

It has always been like this for me. My GPU fans always spin at maximum RPM in port, but slow down in battle. I'm not aware of a way to fix it.

I think it's kind of stupid to waste 100 watts for port background animation, so I just make sure I minimize the game window when I don't actually play.

[CTT]
Players
91 posts
19,924 battles
On 5/27/2020 at 2:53 PM, ShDrew said:

Henlo,

Thanks in advance!

ShDrew

Open up Windows Task Manager after accessing the Armory or in game News. If you see the following processes running in the background they are probably the culprit: cef_subprocess and the world of warships chromium embedded browser. Whenever those 2 processes are running my laptop turns into an oven and a bunch of things stop working properly. These are some of the bugs I have found that seem to be related to those processes.

1. When I load up the game I can't see any of my contacts in port

2. If I try to start a match before I'm able to see my contacts in port the game will freeze on match loading screen and disconnect me. This has been happening since around update 9.1 or 9.2. normally I can get around this by playing a Co-op game first or by going into task manager once a match has started and ending those processes though they will usually start up again by themselves.

3. The heat issue mentioned earlier. Task manager says that World of Warships is drawing a very high amount of power. Although the processes cef_subprocess and the world of warships chromium embedded browser don't look like they are using much resources themselves if I end them the game starts working fine again.

4. Low fps and high ping.

The best way I've found to get the game working properly is to locate the files for the 2 processes and disable inherit permissions for them. The problem with doing that though is that you will no longer be able to view the armory or in game news which can be gotten around by accessing them in the browser instead. Also it will stop the game from being able to update. The preventing update issue I think is relatively new because I don't remember it happening in the past so if you want the game to update you have to re-enable inheritance for those 2 prcesses and then disable it again once the game has finished updating.

There's probably other issues relating to those 2 processes that I'm forgetting but if I remember I'll add them

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters, Beta Tester
2,105 posts
15,170 battles
9 hours ago, ShDrew said:

Henlo,

Thanks in advance!

ShDrew

Check for windows updates and driver updates first of all, and the monitor your GPUs temperature as well as it's load. If it's running at 90% load while idle but at a comfortable 30-40° then it's more likely that it is reporting a lower amount of maximum load so the little processing it is doing seems like more as a percentage.

Monitor it for performance or temperature problems.

Sign in to follow this