You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

Let's talk about the Odin

107 comments in this topic

Players
2,117 posts
8,772 battles

Flamu's review is out:

He does not reccomend it.

My observations:

-She seems to. be more precise than Tirpitz/Bismarck, also the short fuse time AP is nice.

-Flamu uses a fire prevention build, as always. I think that a good concealment manouverable ship does not need it at T8. You can do the full secondary build.

-Flamu tried to brawl against three tier8 ships at the end and failed. You can brawl against three in a Tirpitz, but not against three tier8s, especially without a secondary build.

-The low torpedo protection and low HP combo really hurts.

Also, on the test server you can buy 8 construction phases out of the 20, for 8000 doubloons. That renders the grind doable with normal regular gameplay. I don't want to do an excessive grind + 3500 doubloon combo, the 8000 doubloons + normal play would be appealing, if the ship would be as much strong as Tirpitz. I don't know if that is the case.

What do you think about the ship, and how much grind and doubloons are you willing to invest to get her?

Here are the missions:

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2020/05/odin-dockyard-directives-1-6-missions.html

The trick is that you have to do seven per directive, and while most of them seem to be easy, you always need one or two really grindy ones, especially for the last three directives.

• Cool 3

Players
2,043 posts
3,816 battles

Possible fixes for Odin might be:

- give it back the old HP;

or

- give it a better heal;

or

- make it a Tier 7

• Cool 2

[NECRO]
Players
2,735 posts
Vor 15 Minuten, Ocsimano18 sagte:

What do you think about the ship, and how much grind and doubloons are you willing to invest to get her?

Short answer: She was not built, so she is of no interest to me - regardless of her features and price tag.

• Cool 2

Players
2,043 posts
3,816 battles
20 minuti fa, Ocsimano18 ha scritto:

She seems to. be more precise than Tirpitz/Bismarck, also the short fuse time AP is nice.

She does have 2.0 sigma, but the fuse is the standard 0,033s of the normal BBs. 

[BLITZ]
Modder
5,116 posts
9,410 battles
7 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

She seems to. be more precise than Tirpitz/Bismarck

It is the same.

7 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I think that a good concealment manouverable ship

Which the ODIN isn't.

Concealment was and is one of the most powerful captain skills you can pick.

8 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

You can do the full secondary build

You can, of course. But it is wasted potential. The low HP-pool need somehow "protection" via Fire Prevention etc. While you have the nice 150mm and 128mm secondaries for penning 32mm without IFHE, you have not many of them. 

13 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I don't want to do an excessive grind + 3500 doubloon combo, the 8000 doubloons + normal play would be appealing

But 3500 + 8000 doubloon are roughly the price of a normal tier8 premium. So you pay the normal price PLUS you have to grind. Doesn't sound very appealing to me. 

22 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

if the ship would be as much strong as Tirpitz. I don't know if that is the case

Tirpitz is just better. The only point the Odin has, is that she can have torpedos AND hydro. 

• Cool 10

[CATS]
Players
30,374 posts
15,494 battles

The moment WG reduced her HP, we knew that she is a hard to handle ship that cannot fullfill the brawling role well.

• Cool 3

Players
2,117 posts
8,772 battles
8 minutes ago, principat121 said:

But 3500 + 8000 doubloon are roughly the price of a normal tier8 premium. So you pay the normal price PLUS you have to grind. Doesn't sound very appealing to me. 

You don't need the 3500 if you pay the 8000 in advance, as you can grind 12 levels during two patches at your leisure.

Players
2,043 posts
3,816 battles

Agree with everything @principat121also, regarding this:

14 minuti fa, principat121 ha scritto:

Tirpitz is just better. The only point the Odin has, is that she can have torpedos AND hydro. 

As both me in my post (see above) and Flamu pointed out, both "gimmicks" are made for brawling, which is however something you don't want to do in the Odin because you get melted; and the worst part is that you'll still need to pay if you want Odin, in the best case grind scenario is only 3.500 doubloons, but you'll still have too.

• Cool 2

[SINT]
Players
1,076 posts
22,919 battles

The Odin almost free seems like a good deal but she is not. In the end normally 3500 doublouns buys you a T V, so a T8 looks a good deal. If you can do all the 18 level ups by grinding. Sure it’s not madness grind like PR ( missions are a bit more doable) but in the end what is the reward? At the most a very  mediocre ships that has all its qualities ofset by glaring liabilities. So you end up by taking potshots at range, something this ship will be outperformed by many other BB’s.

Only hope is that WG will buff it in the future because it will perform bad. This bad avarage performance agrevated by a certain playerbase , that will make Derpitz look like a relative minor thing.  And again while Tirpitz  is a good ship, this one is not. 

I will look very carefull at the mission requirements and then decide to go all in or not. Already having Graf Spee does limit the benefit ( credit compensation only) and other phase rewards seem meh at most.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
5,116 posts
9,410 battles
14 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

You don't need the 3500 if you pay the 8000 in advance, as you can grind 12 levels during two patches at your leisure.

Yes, you have to pay 3500 in the end!

The last two levels (19 and 20) are only buyable! You can only play until level 18 and not further! 

• Cool 3

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,676 posts

I will get her, if it will be via 8k starter pack or finishing her after grinding I will decide when I see the final iteration on live, if they keep the steel prize for the "extra stages" I might go for the first one otherwise it will likely be the latter as I am sure i can bring the final cost below the 8k

@principat121 no, you dont, you have missions/rewars that give total of 18 stages, thats why you need to buy last two, you can also buy first two if you want to and it will amass to same, that is also the point of the starter pack

Players
2,117 posts
8,772 battles
28 minutes ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

She does have 2.0 sigma, but the fuse is the standard 0,033s of the normal BBs. 

At 8:18 Flamu says it's got a short fuse on it.

Players
2,043 posts
3,816 battles
Proprio ora, principat121 ha scritto:

Yes, you do!

The last two levels (19 and 20) are only buyable! You can only play until level 18 and not further! 

No, the directives give you a "stage" or level and there are only 18 you can get from directives. Which means that for example, you can buy 10 stages the beginning and then grind the rest.

• Cool 4

Players
2,117 posts
8,772 battles
4 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Yes, you have to pay 3500 in the end!

You can grind 18 levels in total. Does not matter if the last 18, or the first 18.

[BLITZ]
Modder
5,116 posts
9,410 battles
1 minute ago, wot_2016_gunner said:

No, the directives give you a "stage" or level and there are only 18 you can get from directives. Which means that for example, you can buy 10 stages the beginning and then grind the rest.

Sorry, you are misinformed. 

I tested the mechanics as a supertester, I tested it on the PTS and so I know very precisely the description of the final stages. And the stage 19 and stage 20 are ONLY BUYABLE. You can only advance to stage 18 via playing the directive. 

Just trust me, I DO know it. 

• Cool 1

[FAILS]
Players
676 posts
21,580 battles
9 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Yes and he was wrong there. Flamu does make mistakes same as any other person. If you scroll through the comments, you may find one with Flamu's answer where the fuse change is discussed.

As for the ship: Her health pool would be distinctly average at tier 6... In this state, I'm not sure she is even worth the 3.5k dubloons. And I probably won't be able to get the whole grind done anyway. A shame really, she looks nice, but a Scharnhorst-like fun ship at tier 8 was probably too good to be true.

• Cool 5

[THESO]
Players
8,031 posts
41,287 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Flamu uses a fire prevention build, as always. I think that a good concealment manouverable ship does not need it at T8. You can do the full secondary build.

With the amount of hp that Odin has - this build is essential imho. 

Secondary one will be less effective than on Tirpitz/Bismarck unless you get into T6 MM or fully T8. Even on T9 MM you'll struggle. 

If the Odin had same hp as Scharnhorst - maybe. Cause more hp means also more hp can be healed back. 

• Cool 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,676 posts
22 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Sorry, you are misinformed. 

I tested the mechanics as a supertester, I tested it on the PTS and so I know very precisely the description of the final stages. And the stage 19 and stage 20 are ONLY BUYABLE. You can only advance to stage 18 via playing the directive. 

IDK how it worked out in PTS as some bugs are possible anytime but unless I heard wrong @Crysantos clearly stated in last stream you CAN finish Odin through playing directives AFTER you bought Starter pack, something that is also logical, but I guess we will see

• Cool 2

[SHAD]
Players
3,605 posts
14,671 battles
31 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

He’s wrong, it was changed a while ago.

German battleship Odin, Tier VIII:

• Fuse arming time of AP shells increased from 0.010 to 0.033 s.

[SHAD]
Players
3,605 posts
14,671 battles

The soviet battleship line is made for brawling.

the tech tree has 20,000 more HP than the Odin.

They need to either increase the HP or perhaps make it as manouverable as the Vanguard (also70k+ Health) just to make it OK.

It’s a real shame what they did here. Do reward ships really have to be bad?

Modder
5,299 posts
24,097 battles
7 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

It’s a real shame what they did here. Do reward ships really have to be bad?

Yup, becouse they are counted as "free", and people still do missions for get them, so why make them better ? You will see that Odin marathon will be another great sucess for WG, like houndreads of sailing PR :-P

• Cool 2

Players
6,242 posts
10,755 battles
52 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Currently I see two ways of which I'm not sure how it exactly works:

- Pay 8k dubs for the starter booster, get 8 stages of the progress immediately, play enough directives to get another 12 stages done, get Odin, have another 6 stages that you can earn from directives AFTER you finished Odin to get 250 steel per finished directive. Total dubloons spent: 8.000

- Pay 8k dubs for the starter booster, get 8 stages of the progress immediately, play enough directives to get another 10 stages done (brings you effectively to stage 18 of the build), pay another 3,5k dubs for stage 19/20, get Odin, have another 6 stages that you can earn from directives AFTER you finished Odin to get 250 steel per finished directive. Total dubloons spent: 11.500

Unfortunately there's no booster available on PTS, so that specific scenario can't be tested (and even if it was and I was just too blind ... I'm already through with the progress on PTS).

Edit: Maths before the first coffee is hard.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
5,116 posts
9,410 battles
9 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Pay 8k dubs for the starter booster, get 8 stages of the progress immediately, play enough directives to get another 10 stages done (brings you effectively to stage 18 of the build), pay another 3,5k dubs for stage 19/20, get Odin, have another 6 stages that you can earn from directives AFTER you finished Odin to get 250 steel per finished directive. Total dubloons spent: 12.500

And this is what will be (exept that 3,500+8,000 are 11,500 doubloons). 

On the ST-Server it was my task in this test iteration to have a closer look into the dockyard mechanics. Buying levels, getting levels via playing, combination of both (playing+buying stages), looking for bugs or blockers and so on. But in every test scenario I could only get to level 18 with directives with playing. The last two have a clear sign stating only obtainable for 1750 doubloons. 

Yes, there is a possibility that WG changes the basic mechanics, so that you can play through the last two stages, but I highly doubt it, that WG will given out specific test task to its supertester only to change the whole mechanic afterwards. 

We will see...

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,676 posts
6 minutes ago, principat121 said:

And this is what will be (exept that 3,500+8,000 are 11,500 doubloons). 

Well should this be the case I will just grind out what I can and see where that leaves me (which shoud be somewhere between 3500 and 7000 aditional cost)

• Cool 1